The Dresden Fillies 214 members · 27 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

Yeah, so this Fic.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/387627/from-outside

It features Dresden, it features names from the series, and from several other series (Including Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon, and at least 2 other series that I can't identify).

It might break two of the most hard coded rules I'm aware of for the Dresden Files (to the point where someone is immune to Name magic because they don't let their name "define them") & Outsiders are somehow lesser badguys than the Fae, but hey, it's a somewhat decent read that obviously has heart put into it.

Not sure it should go up here, but it satisfies the most basic rule of including Dresden.

Have at.

Comment posted by ClosetKnight deleted Dec 19th, 2017
ClosetKnight
Group Admin

I will have to give it a read. i could have sworn i read something from dresden that said that names change after significant events, or their way of life changes, things like that. maybe this guy figured a way to live just enough differently day to day or hour to hour that changes his name's meaning. and the outsiders operate from a completely different set of rules. who is to say that the outsiders we see in the dresden files are the only faction of outsiders ever? considering the fact that chengarqordath took the multiverse bubble theory and added an outsider spin to it, making every show and video game ever be a part of the realm beyond the outer gates (pinkie pie is an outsider), this should be interesting.

Yeah, it's somewhere in Book 3 that pure vanilla mortal's names lose potency over the course of several months/a year, because they redefine themselves over that amount of time, they might get a new house, new car, a promotion, get fired, a whole new slew of financial problems, just about anything could change who they are.

That said... I don't care who you are but you can't give your Name, and then somehow radically change who you define yourself as in the space of a sentence, unless you suffer from a legitimate case of the crazies.

The problem with this bit of writing is the Skullduggery Pleasant series already introduced a similar concept, (True names and Birth names) and a way around it where magical characters act under obvious Pseudonyms (Skullduggery Pleasant, Valkyrie Kain, etc), they even make a couple of digs at the concept of people taking edge-lord, try-hard names and then living to 80 while being constantly reminded of their young selves utter lack of sense.

So with this guy taking bits and pieces of multiple universes, there's no reason why this bit couldn't be used instead of just "Trololol, Names don't work anymore, the universe you know is wrong."

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4