Irongalley's Battalion 61 members · 34 stories
Comments ( 36 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 36
Irongalley
Group Admin

*For the purpose of this simulator, you'll take on the role of a general.

Hello general, as you know, the war is fast approaching, and we still need to train our forces for combat. That is the purpose of this simulator, you see.

You will be leading one of our Regional armies against one of our Frontier armies, with the objective to fight off the enemy force. I shall assign you your units, a terrain for the battle to take place, and an enemy army along with their strategy. Godspeed!

These are the unit stats: Link

Your Forces: The Battalion's Regional Army.

Units:

Fourth Army:
300 Light Infantry.
250 Peasant Archers.
200 Common Arquebusiers.
60 Air Common Infantry.
30 Foreign Volunteers.

Second Army:
50 Earth Infantry.
50 Unicorn Archers.
40 Combat Mages.

Enemy Forces: The Battalion's Frontier Army.

Units:

Fourth Army:
100 Light Infantry.
100 Peasant Archers.
200 Common Arquebusiers.

Third Army:
30 Sword and Buckler Men.
1 Bombard unit and its crew.
50 Pikemen

Second Army:
20 Sky Infantry.
20 Earth Infantry.
10 Stone Infantry.

The Terrain:

A grassy plain outside of Fillydelphia.
Several hills lie to the east.
A small forest can be seen to the west.
The center of the field is open grassland with medium sized pools of mud spread across it.
You are facing north, with your enemy facing south.

Weather:

Clear skies. (No clouds, and no possibility for storm.)
Warm and humid. (Soldiers will tire quickly.)

Enemy Strategy:

Enemy soldiers have prepared to defend their position.

Center Field:
Their light infantry is formed in a line across the center of the field, with the peasant archers behind them.
A hundred common arquebusiers are standing in front of the light infantry. They will retreat behind friendly lines if the enemy approaches.
The earth infantry is standing on the eastern flank, ready to charge if enemies near them.

The Hills:
They are moving their bombard to take position on the hills. It has not yet arrived.
A hundred common arquebusiers are marching along with the bombard, they are in a column and ready to get in firing position if an enemy nears them.
The human pikemen are marching along with the bombard, and behind the arquebusiers. They are ready to get in a spear wall formation if an enemy nears them. (Note: Arquebusiers will run behind the pikemen if the enemy gets too close.)
The sky infantry is flying above them, ready to engage any hostiles that threaten the bombard.

The Forest:
The sword and buckler men have moved into position and are ready to defend the woods. (Note: woodland gives a bonus to infantry, and diminishes the mobility of air, and earth pony units. It also provides good cover against arquebuses.)
The stone infantry has also positioned itself along with them. (Note: Their pegasi are affected by the trees as much as your own, and so are their earth ponies.)

Alright men, get to it!

well i have no chance in this since im water bourne forces...........still i could drop of some spartans and xenomorphs?

Irongalley
Group Admin

Give it a shot :twilightsmile: Who knows, you could end up as an acting general if things go badly for the rest of us. :twilightoops:

Saint Kelly
Group Contributor

some one should draw a battle map for peeps like me who can not comprehend more than one thing written down at a time hence why i fail at math guys

Deathstrike666
Group Contributor

Mmmmmmm...:moustache:
*Gears in brain start ticking*

Deathstrike666
Group Contributor

How long will it take for their forces on the hill to arrive?

Irongalley
Group Admin

They carry a bombard, which means their progress is slowed, but don't think they won't make it. Those are gryphons carrying the damn thing.

You have about an hour before they reach the hills, at which point they'll start firing in your direction.

Irongalley
Group Admin

Don't be like that.:derpytongue2:

I actually need to know my commanders and generals are capable of doing these kind of things. If I go MIA during the war (which is actually very likely), and the generals aren't there to lead my men; who's gonna fight the war? I need to know which men I can trust to keep command over my armies here.

Saint Kelly
Group Contributor

Center field
i would move 200 of the rifles to combat the 100 rifles of the ennemy and to provide covering fire to my me
i would move 30 common pegasi to move in tandom with 200 of my light infantry to combat his 100 light infantry and 30 unicorn archers and 100 peaseant archers to provide a support role and 30 earth infantry to counter his 20 earth infantry
The foot hills
While he was moveing his forces into the foot hills i would move mine into there as well i would have my mages,unicron archers,and peasnt archers to harass his rifles and pegasi while haveing them move behind the hills i would keep all my infantry hideing behind the the hills untill his pikemen drew in close then i would harass them when they got close i would continue this tactic until the main divsion(center feild) finished up to come in so we may attack them on two fronts
The forest
i would take my remaining infantry to move against his sword and buckler men,and stone infantry and the remaing mages and pegasi to move in and support the the infantry if they try to flank when my main force moves to the hill ill have a couple of men turn around and face there small force

Saint Kelly
Group Contributor

1056412 hey dude no offense but i think iron galley means somethign along the lines i did

Irongalley
Group Admin

Your strategy is perfect! :moustache:

The hills would be a victory: You would be very well able to hold the position since you have a professional army in a very good spot.

The forest would be a victory: The light infantry and volunteers are peasant levies with no professional armament, and you'd be pitting them against regulars and well-armed mercenaries. Luckily for you, those are three hundred and thirty very angry peasants against forty regular units.

You'd lose several men, but they'd lose the battle.

The field would be a victory as well: I see your army and the enemy dueling across the field for the majority of the fight. Their infantry wouldn't dare charge, as your vast missile troops would obliterate them midfield. Your pegasi would harass their soldiers from above as soon as their peasants with guns and bows flee with their morale destroyed, and their infantry wouldn't be able to protect itself from your air attacks.

You'd lose a lot of soldiers in the field battle, but all of them are cheap and easy to replenish. (Unless you use your infantry in the forest to flank the enemy, which would quicken the end result.)

The forest would be an overwhelming victory in a very literal way, and it would grant you control of the flank.

The hills would be perfectly controlled until your other units were free to move in and help, which would probably cause the enemy to surrender without a fight.

:moustache:

Saint Kelly
Group Contributor

1056616 well played i thought it over you did well to me

Irongalley
Group Admin

Well played. :moustache:

You'd control the hill, take the field (with heavy losses), and the soldiers in the forest (whom I assume would try to flank you) would be overwhelmed and defeated (with more losses too).

Nicely done for your first time. :twilightsmile:

Saint Kelly
Group Contributor

1056807 thank you very much now where did the nigger mexican that sells drugs and gardens in his spare time go i lost him in the darkhole in the zeta beta zeta cluster

I would move my entire fourth army to the hills to deal with the bombard and it's protectors. Two thirds of my light infantry and my air common infantry would be rushing the bombard with covering fire from half of my peasant archers while the other half of my peasant archers, my common arquebusiers, the other third of my light infantry with the foreign Volunteers interspersed within the ranks of my light infantry protecting their flank while they make the push. Then after they have killed the enemy soldiers protecting the bombard my remaining light infantry would move to join up with the rest of my light infantry. My foreign volunteers would then dismantle the bombard to build fortifications to make better vantage points for my archers and arquebusiers. The air common infantry would protect my soldiers from being swooped upon by their pegasi while when they have the opportunity swooping upon the enemy soldiers themselves.

At the same time my second army would stealthily move towards the woods. Half of my earth infantry would protect the unicorn archers and mages against any soldiers from the plains that move to attack them. One fifth of my archers would assist in guarding the group overall along with five of the mages who will light their arrows on fire before they shoot. The remaining unicorn archers, mages, and earth infantry would move towards the woods stopping short to encourage the enemy to leave cover. When the enemy does leave cover the unicorn mages would set the ground behind them on fire preventing retreat into the woods. After that the mages and archers would unleash fire and arrows upon the now coverless enemies. Immediately after the fire and arrows are launched the earth infantry charge the dazed, injured, and burning enemy, so as not to give them time to recover. After the enemy soldiers are taken care of the unicorn mages would use ice magic to put out the fire and they would move into the forest.

The unicorn archers would take cover behind trees and watch for the enemy and provide cover for the others if need be while four fifths of my earth infantry cut trees and build a large cart. Half of my unicorn mages will use their magic to blast away at the ground to find gems while the other one fifth of my earth infantry collect any gems that are found. The other half of my unicorn mages would melt down all of the earth infantry's armor to create the barrel of a cannon using telekinesis to mold the metal while they melt it. While holding the molten metal in their telekinetic grip those not holding metal would create ice in the holes left over from the gem search and melt it with fire to create a pool of water to cool the cannon in. The cannon would then be mounted on the cart and the gems arranged in a way that when a beam of magic is focused through it creates a super heated light beam that immolates things hit by it. Then my unicorn mages would get on to power and aim the cannon. The unicorn archers would also get on the cart to provide covering fire for the earth infantry who would be pulling the cart carrying beam cannon.

The cart would then drive out of the forest and begin firing upon the enemy with those aboard protected from pegasi by the archers and cannon. Any ground infantry that charged it would be set on fire by the beam or killed by the archers. With the enemy trapped between my magical beam cannon and my forces on the hill there would be nowhere to take cover with my beam cannon to the east and my forces on the hill to the west.

How did I do? At very least I was creative.

Edit:
1056085 Are you going to tell me how I did?

1056085 Are you ignoring this thread because it's old or do you just not care about my attempt to complete the simulation?

Irongalley
Group Admin

:facehoof: Why you do this to me, brain?! :raritydespair:

Sorry! I'm on finals, so I'm forgetting a lot of things lately :twilightblush:

Gimme a few minutes to get this sorted out. :derpytongue2:

1078869 It's OK I just was wondering if you had seen it. Good luck on finals.

Irongalley
Group Admin

A bit late for that :derpytongue2: Oh well.

Anyways!

I would move my entire fourth army to the hills to deal with the bombard and it's protectors. Two thirds of my light infantry and my air common infantry would be rushing the bombard with covering fire from half of my peasant archers while the other half of my peasant archers, my common arquebusiers, the other third of my light infantry with the foreign Volunteers interspersed within the ranks of my light infantry protecting their flank while they make the push. Then after they have killed the enemy soldiers protecting the bombard my remaining light infantry would move to join up with the rest of my light infantry. My foreign volunteers would then dismantle the bombard to build fortifications to make better vantage points for my archers and arquebusiers. The air common infantry would protect my soldiers from being swooped upon by their pegasi while when they have the opportunity swooping upon the enemy soldiers themselves.

Okay, this plan would have worked out just dandy if it weren't because the fourth army is fully composed of peasants. Here's how I think it would go:

The enemy arquebusiers form a line in front of the pikemen, and while your soldiers rush, they fire. The shots are not accurate, and the losses are minimal, but the peasant's morale is shaken by the time they manage to reach enemy lines.

The enemy arquebusiers suffered loses from your soldier's fire, but they managed to retreat behind the pikemen without too many dead, since your archers are peasants. Enemy pikes raise their weapons and your soldiers collide against the wall of spears. Being infantry composed mostly of earth ponies (with humans and other races mixed in between, but in smaller numbers) they suffer many dead, although they do manage to puncture the pikemen's formation, the resulting skirmish with a mercenary unit is devastating for your troops.

Your air infantry engage the enemy's sky infantry, which results in a bloody battle for both sides. Your warriors outnumber the enemy three to one, but your foes are well trained regulars. The battle soon goes ill for you, as the pegasi in your ranks flee from combat after suffering heavy losses. The enemy is left badly bloodied, his troops a sorry remnant of their original numbers, but they still fly victorious. (Unless you want your missile troops to open fire while both forces are in combat, of course. That would destroy the enemy pegasi, but your soldiers would die as well. [Note within the note: Enemy arquebusiers are still standing behind the pikemen, so even if your air infantry won, their morale would get blown to pieces.])

Anyway, I'm assuming that the force you sent to protect the main force's flank is also firing upon the pikemen, aye? Well, if that's the case...

Your infantry line manages to hold, if barely. The arquebusiers and archers you sent to flank the enemy have managed to inflict some damage on the soldiers standing on the flanks, which causes the formation to break and the pikemen to be reduced to close quarters combat. Being pikemen and all, they lose the advantage the pikes gave them and are swiftly overwhelmed by the superior numbers of the peasants. This gains you a very costly victory in the end.

Luckily for you, the bombard did not manage to deploy and fire while the battle took place, and your soldiers routed the gryphon engineers without a fight.

Sadly, the bombard is not large enough to provide any significant fortifications.

Bombards are big, but not overly big:

At the same time my second army would stealthily move towards the woods. Half of my earth infantry would protect the unicorn archers and mages against any soldiers from the plains that move to attack them. One fifth of my archers would assist in guarding the group overall along with five of the mages who will light their arrows on fire before they shoot. The remaining unicorn archers, mages, and earth infantry would move towards the woods stopping short to encourage the enemy to leave cover. When the enemy does leave cover the unicorn mages would set the ground behind them on fire preventing retreat into the woods. After that the mages and archers would unleash fire and arrows upon the now coverless enemies. Immediately after the fire and arrows are launched the earth infantry charge the dazed, injured, and burning enemy, so as not to give them time to recover. After the enemy soldiers are taken care of the unicorn mages would use ice magic to put out the fire and they would move into the forest.

This one's good. :moustache:

The unicorn archers would take cover behind trees and watch for the enemy and provide cover for the others if need be while four fifths of my earth infantry cut trees and build a large cart. Half of my unicorn mages will use their magic to blast away at the ground to find gems while the other one fifth of my earth infantry collect any gems that are found. The other half of my unicorn mages would melt down all of the earth infantry's armor to create the barrel of a cannon using telekinesis to mold the metal while they melt it. While holding the molten metal in their telekinetic grip those not holding metal would create ice in the holes left over from the gem search and melt it with fire to create a pool of water to cool the cannon in. The cannon would then be mounted on the cart and the gems arranged in a way that when a beam of magic is focused through it creates a super heated light beam that immolates things hit by it. Then my unicorn mages would get on to power and aim the cannon. The unicorn archers would also get on the cart to provide covering fire for the earth infantry who would be pulling the cart carrying beam cannon.

Ok...

The cart would then drive out of the forest and begin firing upon the enemy with those aboard protected from pegasi by the archers and cannon. Any ground infantry that charged it would be set on fire by the beam or killed by the archers. With the enemy trapped between my magical beam cannon and my forces on the hill there would be nowhere to take cover with my beam cannon to the east and my forces on the hill to the west.

The enemy pulls back from your cannon as they see it approach, your forces attempt to give chase, but the weight of the war machine is too much even for them. Their progress is slowed.

Enemy soldiers retreat towards the hills, where your forces have just finished obliterating the bombard and its defenders. Their numbers now dwindled horribly, they see the enemy approach with terror in their eyes.

Remaining soldiers on the hills:

150 Light infantry.
170 Common arquebusiers.
168 Peasant Archers.
27 Foreign Volunteers.
2 Air common infantry.
1 dismantled bombard.

What do?

1079166 The common arquebusiers and peasant archers fire at the enemy from atop the hill while 100 of the light infantry wait half way up the hill for the enemy to arrive and the other 50 keeping low and using the hills for cover move to flank the enemy so as to force their common arquebusiers into close quarters and turn their attention from firing upon my forces on the hill the foreign volunteers hold back and watch to alert the peasant archers and common arquebusiers of any attempts by the enemy to flank so as to give them a chance to fire on any forces that detach from the main force and destroy any chance of the enemy using such a tactic.

The air common infantry are of no use in the coming battle here and as such fly around it to the magical beam cart to help pull it. The unicorn archers get off the cart to help pull it, however if the enemy charges the cart they will stop pulling to fire upon the enemy. With the added help pulling the cart and a good deal of the weight removed it should travel across the plains faster to get more accurate shots on the enemy forces. The cart continues firing the laser occasionally as it travels to attack and demoralize the enemy with the extremely powerful weapon, but as I said it is firing less often until it's closer to give the unicorn mages a breather so they don't wear out in the middle of the fight. When the cart does close on the enemy it will fire rapidly at the center of the cluster of enemy forces where their common arquebusiers would have undoubtedly moved to be protected by their light infantry in the face of the flanking maneuver I performed with those fifty light infantry of mine I sent out earlier. At the point when the cart was close enough to fire the unicorn archers would begin firing upon the enemy with their bows and the earth infantry would reinforce the light infantry.

Here is a picture to demonstrate the idea I'm using for the laser. The magic would be the light. The ruby crystal would obviously be the ruby crystal and other gems would be used in place of the mirrors.

Irongalley
Group Admin

I wonder, what would the range of such a cannon be?

While it is highly unorthodox, and there is no way that it will ever be allowed to use as a canon weapon in the canon war, I have to say it is damn clever and rather helpful to a side project I am working on. :moustache:

Great job, you've won. :twilightsmile:

1079166 Also as a side note once my forces were on the hill and their arquebusiers were behind their lines they would be near useless against any thing in front their forces that isn't exceptionally tall or flying because they would have little to no clear line of sight for their rifles which fire a more or less straight line. Also, if they fired upon my ground forces they would be shooting through their own men and potentially causing casualties of their own forces making them near worthless to the on the ground battle. While my peasant archers can fire in an arc which means they could fire over my front lines to hit the enemy.

1079473 Why wouldn't the cannon be allowed? It can be made from materials found in Equestria, so there shouldn't be a problem with it in the canon war, that is, unless the problem is that it is OP. If the problem is that it is OP then you could have smaller versions carried by individual unicorns used like the arquebusiers.

1079473 If you ever need help creating unorthodox or creative weapons for the war don't be afraid to ask.

Where is the grassy plain in relation to Philidelphia, and am I allowed to stage attacks in the city?

How quick can forces move around the city and through it?

Am I just arriving, are we both arriving at the same time, or are the entrenched already?

How big is the forest and would anyone terribly mind if I set it on fire?

Irongalley
Group Admin

North of Fillydelphia, and no. If the enemy reaches the city or bothers the populace it would be our loss.

As fast as a man can march.

You both are barely arriving, though he has already sent his soldiers forward.

The forest extends far to the west and encompasses Hollow Shades, which is one of our holdings. I think they would mind.

Alright, here's what I'd do. I'm going under the assumption that all my forces are approaching from the south.

I would start with the hills by sending the entire Second Army (Minus 10 Combat Mages), the 60 Air Common Infantry, the 30 Foreign Volunteers,100 Light Infantry, and the 200 Common Arquebusiers. Foreign powers will be happy, as I'm keeping their citizens secure with strength in numbers. It should also give me aerial superiority and the power in numbers to quell the threat in that sector. However, instead of first applying the aerial units, I'd force them all to the ground with the main forces and start with volleys of arrows and barrages of bullets.

I'd keep the guns in their own unit, just in case of misfires so they won't damage my soldiers. Four rows of fifty, constantly rotating their numbers as they reload, should be sufficient until their weapons become useless. When they are, I'd have them retreat behind the main forces to care for the dead and wounded when not repairing their weapons.

I wouldn't send the aerial units just yet because i want the enemy to become overconfident with aerial superiority. I can pick a few of them off with volleys and Mages, but I'm counting on their hubris. After I've harassed them and thinned their numbers, I'd send in my own units. That way, I've picked them off and have the element of surprise due to a sudden influx of aerial foes.

After the volleys and the aerial units are deployed, the Second army and 100 infantry will be sent in with the Bombard as the primary target. I will keep an eye on the Bombard. If I think it will be deployed before the volleys are complete and the aerial units are deployed, the volleys will cease, and deploy all units.

I stage that incursion as a means to draw the eye of the enemy. I don't care for those in the forest so much, but it would be necessary to divert those in the hills. I would take all remaining units behind the city, blocking the Hills from the secondary force. I'm counting on most if not all aerial units being in battle in the Hills. I'd not have to worry about spies and attacks. If my aerial units defeat my enemy's, they will stay with the Hills and fight to keep the high ground.

The remaining 200 Infantry and the 10 Combat Mages would approach the Forest from the south and at decently brisk pace. I wish to give the impression that they will be attacked, so the enemy will fortify themselves in the forest. I would remain in the remaining forces behind the city, giving the impression that I want a decent force to bolster my own protection.

The infantry and archers will prepare for a charge with the mages interspaced in their ranks to hide them. As they approach, they charge, but divert northward towards the Hills. The Mages will light controlled blazes away from the forest (Time-delayed fires that will expel and die once the amount of magic in them expires. That way, no forest fire.). The fire is to prevent the enemy from advancing on the infantrymen too fast, but also to take them by surprised. Realizing that those in the forest have been deceived about my true target, they would likely pursue. Even though no aerial units are there, it's be a shooting gallery with the mages. Even if they realize the ruse, it won't help with what will happen next.

Reguardless of they do, the remainder of my forces south of the city will follow suit, eliminating any that flank the infantrymen. The peasant's role in the attack will boost their confidence, and the arrival of reinforcements, even though they are not needed, will boost morale. The target is not the forest, but the Hills. Should any morons attempt to pursue, I have more than enough firepower to destroy them, even if they flank my forces. They can either sit on their ass and live, or my forces are too enticing a target, it draws them out of their forest advantage, and they die.

At this time, assuming those in the Hills are marching on the city, they'd realize that shit's about to go down. I've kicked the ass of those in the Hills with superior numbers, and now a shitload of pissed of peasant are storming from the south east. Those on the west are trained soldiers, and those on the east have the advantage of defeating a small force. Kicking the ass of a small force would build the peasant's confidence in fighting a larger one.

I have them in a classic pincer movement and would squeeze the life out of them. The Archers would slaughter the earth infantry, despite their experience. Realizing how screwed they are, the'd likely try a defensive posture. I'd start with wailing on them with all available projectiles. Should they retreat, I'd hunt them down with the infantry, aerial units, and Second Army. If they attack, it would just make it easier on me.

Do you still have finals? I'm curious as to what my score is.

Irongalley
Group Admin

:facehoof: Sorry, my brain is a mess right now.

I'll review it in a lil bit, just lemme sort stuff out. :derpytongue2:

1093080 I'd toss them all aside and throw jello at you.:pinkiecrazy:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 36