Irongalley's Battalion 61 members · 34 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

The first thing I must make clear is that in no way do I represent the official views of L.U.N.A. or its allies. This is strictly me. I’ve looked over Iron Galley’s history, and I really have to ask, why do you trust him to be a king? I am not contesting the fact that he has an extensive service record in the Equestria’s navy, nor am I contesting his credentials as an admiral. But leading sailors is much different from leading a country, unless Iron Galley intends to impose martial law as soon as he comes to power.

As far as I have seen, Iron Galley plans to rule as a king; he has no intentions of sharing absolute authority should he gain it. With this in mind, I ask you: does not absolute power corrupt absolutely? What have you to guarantee your rights and freedoms under his rule? His promise that he “cares profusely” for you? How easy a promise that is to make! But what do you have that is set in stone to be sure he will keep it? Princess Celestia and Princess Luna have already proven they are worthy of our trust, by leading us from an age of chaos into one of peace and prosperity. As a diarchy, they are equal in authority; either one can check the power of the other. They also have millennia of wisdom and experience as leaders; is this worth nothing? I do not claim Equestria to be perfect, and I acknowledge that it never will be. But what is so remarkable about Iron Galley that he would be a superior leader to the Princesses?

Iron Galley has promised reform in education, to “make it obligatory for ponies to attend school for a longer time period before being allowed to hold a formal job”. But he is a sailor; what does he know of education? And does he realize how this would weaken Equestria’s workforce and thus its overall economy? While there is value in extended training for certain professions, such as those in the medical and legal fields, many do not require any more education than is being given today. Such a reform would do nothing but prevent potential workers from actually working, hampering the productivity of Equestrian industries and potentially driving them from Equestria altogether.

Another of Iron Galley’s proposed reforms is the expansion of the nation’s military and investment in gunpowder-based weapons. About the guns, I agree with him entirely: the armed forces must modernize. But there is no reason he must be our king to enact this single reform! Once we have resolved this current crisis, let us have the Princesses’ opinion on the issue before we pass judgment; no doubt they have reasons of their own for refusing his proposals. But I can tell you from experience that a bolt of magic is just as effective and twice as reliable as any bullet. Gunpowder does not work when wet, guns can jam or misfire, and ammunition is finite, costly, and yet another burden on war industries. Simply put, my position is that the refusal of the Princesses to equip our military with firearms is not such a significant issue that it warrants rebellion. Regarding the size of the armed forces, let me ask you this: if our military strength is so inadequate, why have we not already been conquered by foreign powers? Surely there are those in the world who would attempt to do so if they found us weak; the fact that Equestria remains free and safe demonstrates that we must be doing something right.

Iron Galley claims that “[his] claim to the crown is fair, as [he has] served their armies for long and [has] led their navies into glorious victory many a time.” A record of military service may speak volumes in the military, but it is not enough to justify a claim to rule a nation. Many great commanders have come before Iron Galley, but not one of them has gained political power through their military service alone. And unlike many of them, who concluded their careers with dignity and honor, Iron Galley was court-martialed for the misuse of government resources, deviating from his orders to pursue a personal vendetta, and engaging in unauthorized acts of war. All of this can be summarized in a single word: insubordination. Iron Galley believed he knew better than his superiors, so he disregarded established military procedure and pursued his own course of action. If this is the respect he shows for the will of those with tangible authority over him, what respect will he show for the will of the people? He claims he was to be covertly executed for his crimes; who can corroborate this claim? If the God of Chaos, who for centuries oppressed all ponies for no more than his own amusement, was spared his life when the Princesses defeated him, why would an admiral merely violating military code be assassinated? Such cloak-and-dagger tactics are not the way of the Princesses, especially against Equestrians. Iron Galley would have you believe he was to be martyred for his proposals, but where is his proof? The more likely story is that he is attempting to turn attention away from his own crimes by framing himself as the victim.

I have little left to say, but as I stated before, Iron Galley claims that he “cares profusely for the equines of Equestria”. If this is the case, why does he plan to begin a civil war which will no doubt cost thousands of lives? And why is he sending ordinary civilians to do the work of soldiers? He shows more concern for his cause than their lives. And for all his talk of the need for a strong Equestria, if we were divided by a civil war, would we not be that much easier to conquer? Were there significant merits to his reforms, he could easily have persuaded others to support him peaceably. No, the true purpose of this rebellion is for Iron Galley to grab power, promote his own interests, and avenge the wounding of his pride by the Princesses and the military justice system. And once he has grabbed this power, he shows no intent of stopping. His jingoist rhetoric shows every sign of plans to turn Equestria towards imperialism and become the conquerors he claims we live in fear of. I do not ask you to unquestioningly support L.U.N.A. or the republicans; evaluate them fairly and decide for yourself. But, in the name of Faust, do not support this arrogant, power-hungry war criminal in his mad bid to seize the throne through senseless violence. There is no need for the streets of Canterlot to run red with blood.

-Eclipse

1106446 you got a rainbow laser vrius good job

1106446 Because he was the first to ask.

Saint Kelly
Group Contributor

1106446 because this roleppay war is over now

Irongalley
Group Admin

Ain't :derpytongue2: We're just setting it up.

I care not for the whims and whimsy of others. The wars between generals and kings, gods and demons, interest me not. I support Iron Galley not because I believe his claim to the Mountain Throne is just, but because his interests align with my own. It is self interest alone that guides me.

1106685 'Bout time you came, Copper Galley. I was told to give you this cake. *outstretches cake with a smile on his face*

Brother Roga
Group Contributor

The Imperium is led by one single being alone and I admire Irongalley's determination to try and outshine the great Emperor.

So much infact that I will join his cause for the amusement it brings me.

1106765 Then you must suffer. I summon my legion of spear-weilding sausages!:pinkiecrazy:

Fate and time is a fickle thing. There must always be sacrifices to further our world. If it is our duty to die for the future generations then who does it matter who we serve. We chose Irongalley because we believe that he can provide a better future for us and if we must die during this campaign then we will die fighting for what we believe and hope for.

1106877 Die? What fun is there in that? Wouldn't you want to join the World of Illogic? It's much more fun, and you can still d whatever you want with added bonuses. *gets closer* Except for killing. We don't like killing. All you have to do is give Psycho your sanity. It's but a most trivial thing to pay, wouldn't you say?:pinkiecrazy:

1106446 I joined because as he said technological progress is slow. I haven't seen anyone else proposing that technological progress would get a major kick start and therefore here I stand.

1106901 i cant give whats already gone

1107624Then you'll get in for free.:pinkiecrazy:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15