Battleships 303 members · 78 stories
Comments ( 36 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 36
Eagle
Group Admin

Let's ask something a little different. What's your favorite fictional ship (or fictional version of a real-life ship)?

Ace Combat 5- OFS Kestrel

They really made it feel like a home to me...

USS Enterprise
NCC-1701-E

The Gotengo. Mighty flying, submarine battleship.

Eagle
Group Admin

Ah, a wonderful choice. Still, to me, you just can't beat the original

By God, this is...I can't even describe how insane that looks.

The Pillar of Autumn. :rainbowdetermined2:

Halo will always hold a special place in my heart as one of my first video games and a big influence on my sci-fi world building. As a result this refitted Halcyon Class Cruiser is a favourite of mine with its simple, rugged and functional design. It only gets better in the books to but I'll spare you the details.

I really do love it and was really quite sad that I had to blow it up to save the galaxy. :pinkiesad2:

I know, right?

It's like the most balls to the wall insane thing ever.

So cool.

And, best of all, it's commanded by Joseph Stalin.

Eagle
Group Admin

What the hell? How does Stalin come into this!?

The actor who played the captain of the Gotengo in Godzilla: Final Wars just bears a striking resemblance to the late dictator.

Eagle
Group Admin

Salin in a flying battleship. Man, we're screwed, huh?

You have no idea.

EAS Agamemnon

Macross (SDF-01) for it invented the Macross Missile Massacre

HMS Fearless (CL-56), the Light Cruiser that Could

Eagle
Group Admin

I don't think I really want to

What's this from?

You need to watch more sci-fi... from top down: Babylon 5, Robotech/Macross, Honorverse

Eagle
Group Admin

When it comes to direct Sci-Fi stuff, I usually stick with Star Trek/Wars. Most of the stuff i'm interested in if Military related (but I think you all knew that already). Still, I've heard good things about them.

If you want good military sci-fi I would recommend the Honorverse

Eagle
Group Admin

Alright, thanks. I still just prefer regular military work. I guess it's the more realistic feeling.

On the realism scale of Sci-Fi, the Honorverse ranks higher than Star Trek or Star Wars. David Weber, the writer, tries very hard to keep as much of it realistic as possible for a series that takes place 2000 years in the future, he acknowledges that space is really big and that even with FTL it will take days to cross to the nearest system and then hours to cross the system to the main planet (which includes deceleration), battles can take place at greater distances than what you see in other series (no battle with ships being in less than a kilometer from each other), and ships of realistic sizes.

Eagle
Group Admin

Uh...that's not what I meant (and i'm not saying you're wrong)

When I said 'regular military' and, I meant modern day work (Red Storm Rising, Saving Pvt. Ryan, Ace Combat, etc.). When I said it felt 'realistic', I meant I knew what I was working with as soon as I picked it up and felt like this was a possibility for me in the future.

Ah, modern to "20 minutes in the future" as TVTropes says. Well... you kind of get that at least with the first book... and he doesn't try to handwave away any explanations on how the tech works. It's a good series and the publisher does have the first two books free as eBooks

Eagle
Group Admin

Alright, it's just like I said; I've always been a little Army brat. Guess it's just where my fate lies.

Sci-Fi is still a big interest, though. The last Sci-Fi thing I picked up was 'Ender's Game' about a month ago.

And Weber doesn't do much with Marines or Army in the Honorverse. They are mentioned, and there are some chapters but it's mostly navy. Well... there is the March Up Country series that he worked on, we get to see the Marines do what the Marines do best, kick ass and take names. That is a series I want to see ponified

Eagle
Group Admin

I think the best Military/Sci-Fi (if you can call it that) series I've seen is Resistance.

The MV Oregon, from Clive Cussler's "Oregon Files," The USS Stingray, from Down Periscope, the USS Sea Tiger, from the movie Operation Petticoat,
The Space Battleship Yamato,

and of course BIG ONE!
(Season 1)

(Season 2)

(Because you just can't beat a flying Big Boy!):pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy:

1885319 hold on, Is that a DRILL on the front of that ship?!

Yes, the Gotengo is fully capable of drilling through the earth in addition to its other talents.

1888371 But those aren't fictional!

Eagle
Group Admin

Those are real, though. (But, I suppose the Battleship movie Missouri counts as a fictional version.)

Also, I commend you for posting an actual ship and not a starship, as I originally intended.

1890143 Hey hey hey! I posted actual ships!

Eagle
Group Admin

Oh yea, you said those subs. Well, congrats to you as well, I suppose.

1891721 The MV Oregon is a ship too. She appears tramp freighter that is in reality a n intelligence gathering ship that is armed to the teeth.

So what 'verse is the Sydney from?

What does the Sydney mount?
Also I forgot Salissa (Big Sal) and the USS Walker (The fictionalized one.), the Merry Go, and Thousand Sunny.

1896186 Nice!
I notice that the Phalanx at the stern is larger than the ones near the bow.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 36