Meet The OC's 570 members · 1,142 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

So, after certain events I've found myself going back and fixing up a lot of my old OC notes, especially the flaws as I find those can create good characters and compelling storytelling. And so far it's been going well, I've been making them more believable, (Slowly, hoping to add more as time goes on.) and I'm feeling a bit more confident.:twilightsmile:

With that said, I'm trying to figure out what some of the more common flaws are among Original Characters, just out of curiosity. Does anyone have any ideas of what the more common faults are, or the less common? :twilightsmile:

I would like to know this too. I mean, beyond the obvious problems of OCs being too flat, too inconsistent, too unbelievable, too perfect/too flawed, or any combination of the above, I do not know many of the flaws that original characters suffer through their creators.

I think two that can kind of be combined would be making an OC too distinct, or making them too bland. Characters in general deserve some traits that distinguish them from others, but this can obviously be taken too far (alicorn OCs are probably the best example of this, as are OCs who in general are much more powerful than major main MLP characters, or who a major character falls in love with for no good reason, just because they have an "aura" about them). On the other hand, if your character is just a clone of another, or boring in general, that's no good either (though probably far less commonly committed than the former mistake). Point is, a happy balance must be struck; you can have an original character who's quite remarkable, but they still need to behave realistically, and that includes having character flaws of some sort. Maybe someone's a terrific CEO of a company but not such a good father and husband, a ruler like Celestia who's great at what she does for her country may have a hard time connecting with her subjects everyday problems and concerns, or a great fashionista like Coco Pommel has a hard time breaking into the fashion scene in Manehattan because she's a bit too trusting and demure in her own behavior. And original characters don't even have to be terribly amazing at something, they could be fairly normal or even have a lousy life too (though having a lousy life can't be taken too far either, since it too could come across as unrealistic).

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3