Meet The OC's 570 members · 1,142 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

I'm doing a finale of a series I started on Youtube called "Why the OC hate?" Thing I've done two of these and I feel like I have said all I need to say on the subject.

Since this subject does actually apply all around, I actually wouldn't mind opinions from this group as well as the usual.

The OC's I've seen getting the most hate are Alicorns, Recolors, and Dark/Red and Black OC's.

I would appreciate the assistance in this subject in the form of opinions.

The OC's I've seen getting the most hate are Alicorns, Recolors, and Dark/Red and Black OC's.
I would appreciate the assistance in this subject in the form of opinions.

In my opinion it's partly a conditioned response due to the fact that Alicorns of that particularly coloration are the more common OCs for newbies to use in their stories, which frankly are mostly of bellow average quality. So most readers assume that it will be another pointless and badly written ego-stroking fic with barely any plot upon seeing such characters and immediately go to a dislike mindset without even giving the fic a try.

Yeah. By far the vast majority of alicorn OCs are badly written. There are a few that are good, but it's far safer to assume any new one is bad.

Alicorns are inherently powerful characters, so writing an interesting one is much more difficult that writing an interesting earth pony. Someone who is motivated primarily by a desire to make interesting characters will usually make their hero weak, because weak heroes have more problems to solve. It's quite possible that Princess Love Laser is a more interesting character than Daffodil the earth pony, but the odds are very much against it.

So alicorn OCs tend to be bad for two reasons:
1. Good alicorns are much more difficult to write.
2. Good writers rarely choose alicorns.

Regarding recolors, it's easier to explain the hate for those. Since everything except the color matches an existing pony, it's an obvious sign of laziness or a copycat.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4