The Science Geeks 9 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

First, I think this was a rather neat group idea.

So, what is everyone's relation to science. I imagine everyone here has more than a passing interest in it. Anypony working to become a scientist or is doing it as a career? Anyone want to or wish they could? Other relations?

As for myself, I always had an interest in science and knew I wanted to either be a scientist or an engineer since I was a wee little girl of 5 years old. I have been fortunate in that I have actually been able to walk that path and become a scientist doing research. I just hope I can continue with it as opposed to having to change careers. Don't have that long in my current gig (grad school) and the scientific funding situation is going from bad to worse rather quickly. Also worried that discrimination is going to finally start slamming doors in my face career wise.

TheDerpyOutcast
Group Admin

Im almost done memorizing the Periodic Table. And im starting to collect the elements. ive alwaysed liked science but when i got a book by Theodore Gray i started to geek out and fill everything with random facts. I dont really know anyone who cares as much as me, not even my science teachers, so i made this group. Now... to convice my mom to get me some gallium...

I am drawn to mystical things. If magic was real I'd study it. But it's not and neither is any other seemingly mysterious phenomenons. For me, science is the next best thing. It's not that mysterious, but at least it's real. Come to think of it, it's the only thing that is real. :unsuresweetie:

I remember when I had the atomic masses of about 1/3 to 1/2 of the periodic table memorized just from using them in class (I have a very good memory). I like your idea of collecting all the elements. As for the gallium, it is rather expensive, be warned. Also, it is decently corrosive to some materials. It is most definitely corrosive to aluminum (I know people who work with it and I have seen the quarter inch aluminum plates it splashed onto periodically and caused to fall apart like soft sandstone).

I would definitely study magic if it actually existed. Interesting fact, I used to be a magician when I was younger.

TheDerpyOutcast
Group Admin

1971763My mom still is determined that Gallium shal be next, tho i warn her alot

Its not too toxic, just make sure you wear rubber gloves and really wash your hands. Stainless steal stands up to it pretty well. Maybe a gallium rich mineral might be better though.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6