Alternate Mane 6 508 members · 156 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

Have you ever notice that in a majority of AU Mane Six stories Equestria is more or less a Disney-esque Medieval Europe ?
Inspired by this video,

I mean if we are going to write an AU fanfic, why not go the whole hog and reimagine Equestria with a new culture. Maybe have Canterlot look like an Aztec City

Or how about Constantinople?

What are your thoughts? What new culture would you based Equestria on?

I wonder what would happen if we made Equestria super duper sci-fi in the future, and then combine magic with technology so that Equestria would be the mother of all innovation

Great points on how most alternate universes seem to go for a Medieval England vibe (either that or 20th century America). I didn't notice that until you mentioned that.

Plus, yeah, I have to agree that the mix of science fiction and magic sounds like it could have real potential.

As for other ideas, I'll have to think of it.

Perhaps one where the main pony tribes are all based on a different culture (The Pegasi modelled after the Norse, the unicorns modelled after the ancient Egyptians and the Earth ponies modelled after feudal Japan [with the alicorns being modelled after a fusion of the deities of all three cultures]). The dragons, of course, are based on Chinese folklore (as the Chinese are one of the cultures that most consistently depict dragons in a positive light).

And, I'm going to have to get back to you as that is all I can think of at present.

Well I made an au that takes place in a old western-like setting, with cowboys and the like.

https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/842476/ol-timey-view-universe

Excellent ideas!

Seems like a cool idea.

Thanks. Unfortunately, though, I'm still stuck as far as thinking of more.

Here's another possible one:

An Equestria modelled after late-1920s/early 1930s New York or Chicago (but on a larger scale and with the addition of magic). The villain of your choice could basically be a Prohibition-era mob boss (right down to the tommy guns and cement horse shoes). Twilight and her friends are basically federal agents and honest cops trying to find the hard evidence needed to bring down the main villain (whoever likes the idea enough to use it can pick the villain they want to use).

Well, in the Shogun Six stories (written by Warwolf) Equestria is based on Japan.

As for each race, this is what I think their culture would be like if I ever wrote an AU Equis.

Earth Pony = Celtic
Pegasus = Roman
Unicorn = Chinese
Zebra = Yourba-African
Breezie = Cherokee
Changeling (post defeat of Chrysalis) = Persian
Horse = Arabian
Hippogriff = Athenian Greek
Seapony = Atlantean
Yak - Russian Slav
Buffalo = Great Plains Native Americans
Minotaur = Spartan Greek
Sea Serpent = Myan
Diamond Dog = German tribes
Griffin = Norse
Dragon = Sumerian
Hedgehog = Indians
Yeti = Baltics
Fish = Pheonicians
Cat = Egyptian
Parrot = Aztec
Kirin = Japan
Caribou = Finland

(The Hedgehogs, Fish, Cats, and Parrots would be the anthro ones from the movie)

This DOES sound REALLY good. Thanks greatly for sharing this.

No problem! My pleasure!

Neat ideas. I had an similar idea for the parrot creatures as well.

You're welcome.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14