Story & Episode Annotations & Analysis 24 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
Bad Horse
Group Admin

This is a thread to post links to analyses of novels, short stories, movies, etc., that writers may find useful. For example:

I posted this colored annotation of the climax of The Last Unicorn, looking at use of adverbs, body language, metaphor, and simile.

Azusa similarly color-annotated a short passage from Harlan Ellison's classic very very dark story "I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream". Parts of it are thick with beautiful adverbs. I warn you that the full story is more nightmarish than anything I've written.

Titanium Dragon color-annotated excerpts from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, looking at "showy" vs. "telly" language, finding a lot of both, and explaining why telling makes more sense here than in The Last Unicorn.

I color-annotated Skywriter's "Torn Apart and Devoured by Lions", and posited an ad-hoc explanation of why its adverb-laden style was appropriate for its theme.

You can also create a new thread for things like this!

Bad Horse
Group Admin

A good (new-Who) Doctor Who plot has two plots. One is the Doctor saving the world. Another is helping somebody (possibly the Doctor) deal with some personal problem. Ideally, these two plots should connect. I analyze how this works in the 11th doctor episode "Amy's Choice" here.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2