Bronies & YouTube 59 members · 51 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

This is a question I've had for a while now. How do channels that read fan fictions avoid copyright issues on YouTube? YouTube has a large stick up its butt when it comes to that sort of thing so I am just curious how a lot of channels get away with it.

The authors of fan fictions are technically using copyrighted characters from Hasbro. So I am just curious to how fan fictions are able to be read on YouTube. Or fan animations can be put up. Or even music videos. It's always been something that has confused me.

On a similar note, What if you have unpublished work that you want to read on YouTube? For example, an original poem, story, etc. Is there a way to protect your work from being stolen since it isn't officially published in print? Or would narrating the story in the video copyright it on its own? I'm just curious.

If you publish something on a website and then narrate it, would you be more willing to win a legal battle if someone stole your work? For example if you published work on FictionPress.com or Wattpad could your copyright on those sites hold up in a legal battle?

These are all questions I have had for some time now. If someone could give me some answers regarding these issues I would very much appreciate it. :)

Hi! I can answer a few of your questions since I am a fanfiction reader ( www.youtube.com/c/TheCaptainSand ) !

How do channels that read fanfictions avoid copyright? Well, it depends on what copyright you're talking about. If you are asking about avoiding Hasbro's copyright, then that's fairly easy. Most of the time they don't strike down anything small or insignificant. They don't really have rights to the words 'Twilight Sparkle' or 'Fluttershy' so saying them is fine. If you're talking images then, for the most part, Hasbro leaves fan art and the likes alone. Hasbro usually only steps in on large animations and games from what I've seen. If you're talking about copyright from the authors of the story, well, I haven't seen any author actually copyright their work. It's a significant process to get something copyrighted and most authors just want to have fun to produce content for the fandom.

Your other question I can hopefully answer is about publishing something original you want to be read on YouTube. If you want to stop a reader from reading something, the only real thing I can see is putting it behind a paywall. I know some authors release their content exclusively or early on Patreon to provide an incentive for their donators. This would do a lot to prevent people from stealing your original content and if someone did, then you were already paid for it. The downside to this though, is that you will reach significantly fewer people if you post exclusively to Patreon.

Personally, when I want to read somebody's story, I always ask permission. So far, every author except one has been more than willing to let me read their awesome stories! I have only been turned down once of the over 1000 unique stories I have read on my channel.

I can't speak about the other issues you brought up since I have limited experience with them, but from the general understanding I have received from the fan base, large projects intended to make money based around animation or games that use characters in the show are most likely to get flagged. However, also remember that Hasbro does not own every character of MLP.

Here is a link to the Copyright database ( http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?PAGE=sbSearch&SEQ=20170911131823&PID=MQlUdQv-lQiJ63-ys2XIsqnCyTAKGU ) You can search the term 'My Little Pony' to find what they do and do not own.
Here is a link to a Trademark database ( http://www.trademarkia.com/trademarks-search.aspx?tn=my+little+pony ) also a fun place to see what Hasbro has tried to get under their control and what failed.

Hope this helps!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2