Starving Authors 310 members · 2,690 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Hey everyone I'm in need of some advice on what the FiM community as a large would like to see. I'm currently writing a story called "I Are Crew Chief" (not hawking my story so you don't have to read it to answer my question) a first person story where I have the narrator hearing the languages of Equestria as what they really are (ie: a foreign sounding language) so he only knows the characters and names of places by the way it is spoken to him, in their language. For some examples Fluttershy is called "Paxxila" while Celestia and Luna are known as "Gilzia and Pyre" and so forth.

All in all my experience with the story in the community has been beyond my wildest dreams, but I have noticed that a couple of people have commented saying that it is confusing when they are trying to associate the new names of the characters and places with the actual characters and places from the show. Which I can understand because it's easier to associate our favorite bookworm alicorn princess as "Twilight" as opposed to "Xamspona".

So my question is should I continue to use the Equis names or is there a way I can use the names but show that he is hearing the Equis version as opposed to the canon English version without loosing the realism aspect of it?

Because the method that I've been using has been the way that I've seen it done in similar types of stories where a character is dropped into a new place and doesn't know the language. As he gets to know the ponies he learns their names in their language as opposed to the English translation, an example would be like me trying to learn Japanese and calling a girl named Sakura "Cherry Blossom" instead. That is my main reason for doing it while I try to distinguish between the two languages by putting Equis in italics and English in normal font.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1