Sunset Shimmer is Best Pony 721 members · 644 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18

I personally think that Sunset is a superior protagonist to Twilight. She is smarter, more considerate of others, and less cliched than Twilight.

Please tell me who you think is the better protagonist? Please give valid reasons why you think that way. Also respect others opinions.

Hmmm... Sunset, because she is also an alicorn!:derpyderp2:

Legitimate proof please

4817949 I don't know about her being a superior protagonist, but she's definitely a more interesting one. Twilight was a hero from day one, and her biggest conflict has been whether or not she can live up to the expectations placed upon her, both by her mentor and by her friends. Sunset, by contrast, was a fallen hero, and now she's climbing back up to being a proper hero, albeit still a flawed one given her angered (if justified) outburst in FG towards Sci-Twi. Sunset's not just dealing with expectations, but she's also trying her best not to go back to being what she was long ago.

I really wish I had a good analogy to help this, but the closest I've got involves DC Comics, something I currently have incomplete information on in regards to character developments.

But it's the flawed protagonists that everyone likes and can relate to. Thus, compared to flawless characters, they are superior protagonists, because everyone likes them more.

4818427 depends on story and portrayal. Personally I care more about whether the protagonist is challenged in the conflict then if they have a flaw I can relate to. And that is how I see Sunset. She is constantly being challenged and persevering, but I don't feel I relate to her because of her flaws.

Twilight's initial introversion at the start, or Fluttershy's shyness are more relatable, yet I don't always think they are better protagonists.

Sunset cause she is smarter older and wiser. Plus she has been living in the human world for a LONG time. When twilight first got there she couldn't even stand properly. Plus sunset is awesome.

Sunset, because while she has more Mary sue traits she's less of a Mary sue in the sense of being a story black hole. Twilight makes everything about Twilight (Which is why i'm not pleased about her joining the human cast.), She has no real relationship with her friends and they only really shine in their focus episodes or when Twilight is removed from the picture. On the other hand despite the even vaster gulf between Sunset and her Crew the fact that she owns her first among equals status means she doesn't push them to the side and reduce them to nothing but "Her friends", and actually seems to be their friend via real things like you know shared interests.

It's like she has become an improved version of Twilight.:trollestia:

Here is something else to think about. Twilight was never able to fight off bad guys 1-on-1. The one time she tried to do so, she couldn't win. Sunset, however, seems to be able to take on an opponent a lot more powerful than her and pull off a victory. I'm all for friends working together, but the fact that a character can do something like that by himself/herself speaks volumes about him/her as well.:ajsmug:

4818968 Sunset didn't defeat Midnight Sparkle alone, if that's what you're referring to, she had to use th magic of the Elements from her friends.

Sure they gave her the magic to use. But what did they do to help after that? Nothing!

Also, all the power given to you doesn't mean anything unless you know how to use it.

As a matter of fact, Twilight did something similar with the alicorn princess' magic. She was given all the alicorn magic in existence, fought against Tirek by herself, but still lost.

And need I remind you about how Goku obtained his Super Saiyan God form?:trixieshiftright:

There are two different types of heroes: the mechanical hero, and the narrative hero.
Mechanical Heroes are basically the ultimate ideal for a hero. They don't have any moral flaws. They are pretty much perfect. They are only there to progress the story.
Narrative Heroes are the characters who have complex personalities, flaws that they try to overcome, and they struggle through all sorts of trials and tribulations, and also go through major character development over time.

Having said this:
Twilight is a mechanical hero
Sunset is a narrative hero

It's like she has become an improved version of Twilight.:trollestia:

In a few ways things they were trying to do with Twilight done right. (Extroverted intellectual.)
In a few ways things we the fandom tried to give Twilight. (You wanna see what it'd be like having Celestia as a MOTHER FIGURE? It Ain't pretty.)
But they really are more comparison pieces than versions.

Here is something else to think about. Twilight was never able to fight off bad guys 1-on-1. The one time she tried to do so, she couldn't win. Sunset, however, seems to be able to take on an opponent a lot more powerful than her and pull off a victory. I'm all for friends working together, but the fact that a character can do something like that by himself/herself speaks volumes about him/her as well.:ajsmug:

Didn't i just say this is the problem with twilight? The reducing everyone else to props thing? :trollestia:
Also I don't anything can be claimed to be in Sunset's league power wise at this point, seeing as it's straight text she has the rainbow power on tap. If you are talking about her beam spam with twilight...Ummm they beam spammed, the dog barked, it distracted twilight, do you think if the dog wouldn't have barked Sunset wouldn't have needed it? (And it certainly wasn't Sunsets doing.)

Sure they gave her the magic to use. But what did they do to help after that? Nothing!

Well what were they gonna do after having their magic drained completely and then....Sunset using their magic to power rainbows after it's drained...
Rainbows are weird.

And need I remind you about how Goku obtained his Super Saiyan God form?:trixieshiftright:

Yeah but Goku is an awful Mary sue who makes every other character irrelevant.

I wouldn’t call Sunset the more superior protagonist, but she is far more interesting, and her journey is stifled with a lot more conflict.

Twilight bores me to some degree; her struggles have always been not living up to expectations, or living through what she now has acquired; her morale has always been spot on, except for her counterparts. :p Twilight has so much developed, how much more can you give to an already developed Princess of Friendship? Her conflicts will probably be recycled, and churned out, with the typical ‘friendship’ morale attached at the end of the day, she’s taken bit more of a backseat in the show slightly, which I am fine with; her journey has almost neared the end.

Whereas Sunset’s journey is only in the beginning stages, she’s a lot more interesting to me, because one she is a fallen hero, but there is so much to her character that I want to understand, what drove her, her family, her convictions, and where will she go from now? Her potential is endless; will she ever fall back into her old ways? There is a real flame to her, one Twilight lacks, a real flame that she isn’t afraid to shout when she is displeased, she isn’t afraid to shout when you have done something wrong, and voices the real reason when things get out of control.

Instant friendship isn’t always a corner-stone for her when she deals with problems, evident when she told off Sci-Twi! I love that bold personality trait, she was doing something, albeit probably not in your typical ‘friendship’ way, but what makes her a real being, we all get frustrated when presented with a time when our people we cherish are in danger. I am displeased with the humane Twilight joining the cast, it is unnecessary.

Sooo unnecessary, Sci-Twi is just a recycled trope from the show itself, going on a friendship journey, Sunset could have easily been the protagonist for the movies themselves, and succeeded. Hasbro are hesitant to give her that spotlight, when primarily dominated by Twilight, and given her success; I can sort of understand why, but nonetheless it’s annoying, and should give her what the character deserves.

there is so much to her character that I want to understand, what drove her, her family, her convictions, and where will she go from now?

It's the same with Wolverine before his origin comic. The less you know about a character, the more interesting they become.

To me, Twilight is old news, and old news bores me:ajbemused:

Just to be clear:
Interesting=Superior

It's the same with Wolverine before his origin comic. The less you know about a character, the more interesting they become.

To me, Twilight is old news, and old news bores me:ajbemused:

Thus all became dross and the universe empty, and what you love you leave, for you cannot hold onto anything.
Understanding does not diminish, it enriches.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18