Bat Ponies Are Best Ponies 2,442 members · 651 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

Here's a thought. How fast can a thestral fly? What would be there Wing Power be?

What are your thoughts?

I like to think of pegasi as being similar to birds and thestrals as being similar to bats. So, since bats are often faster than birds, a thestral should usually be faster than a pegasus.

Given that both are only airborne at all thanks to magic, they can both be as fast or as slow as you want them to be. Making them faster than Rainbow Dash starts getting into Mary Sue territory though.

I agree, bulk biceps can still fly with his downsized wings so... Ya

As a fan of bat ponies, they are faster thanks to their smoother wings, not needing to preen them to get the best results in flying!:moustache:

I think that there should be a bit of a compromise. Like a Thestral would be better at turning than Pegasi who are built for speed. With more surface area on thestral wings, similar to the supermarine spitfire, and less so on a pegasus similar to a P-40. But thats just me.:twilightsmile: therefore Thestral are slightly slower

Thank you all for your input.

A bit of thread necromancy but here's my take:

The fastest bird (in terms of level flight) is the White-Throated needletail, which comes in at 105 MpH at top speed. The fastest bat is the Mexican free-tailed bat, which has a level top speed of 99 MpH. Bats are (generally speaking) more maneuverable than their feathered counterparts, since they can control their wings with much more detail, and are generally lighter than birds of comparable size. However, their wings are significantly more fragile, and birds are more energy efficient (since they don't need to constantly flap their wings to maintain altitude).

I think that some of these are applicable to their overall flight capabilities. Pegasi will have a slightly higher top speed (in level flight), and they'll be more suiting to long-distance flying, but Thestrals will have a far better turn radius.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8