More Than Laughter 227 members · 99 stories
Comments ( 39 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 39

We all here know Pinkie is not perfect she does have flaws okay that's cool. But the thing is I noticed once in a blue moon a fanfic will pop up, the fanfic will be a fix fic on what made Pinkie an interesting character to begin with and try to fix those flaws. I always thought that instead of changing you can improve because I believe people and or ponies in this case should be accepted for how they are that's why this group exists to show that she is more then just her flaws Pinkie isn't broken you cant fix something that doesn't need fixing. Yeah I pretty much became accepting of her flaws and they don't bother me like they do most people. So what are your thoughts?

Pinkie doesn't seem to have that many flaws, what few she has don't seem to be that bad, except for how badly she needs to please people...I think I can accept Pinkie Pie just the way she is. :twilightsmile:

I dunno. I kind of like it when people and characters make an effort to fix thier own flaws, either for themselves or for others. That said, there are harmless quirks and traits that you'd never want them to 'undo.'

Using Gilda as an example, she should definitely try to address her insecurities and her temper, as well as the way she derives entertainment from being shitty to people. That said, Gilda wouldn't be Gilda is she wasn't KIND of a bitch. She is very independent and very opinionated. She's strong when she sticks to her guns, and she's weak when she lets herself feel so easily threatened.

Basically, people should be themselves, but they should also make an effort to recognize thier issues, and be the best version of themselves they can be. Everyone has work they need to do before they get thier shit together.

My problem with Pinkie is that she's shown to be fully aware of what her flaws are, and yet she's completely unwilling to do anything about them.

3989929 Pinkie Pie definitely seems to have seperation issues, and wants nothing more than to make others happy in the hopes that they'll be her friend. It's possible that something happened in her childhood, that made her so desperate to seek out that love. That being said, she does a really good job of hiding it behind a layer of optisim and childlike innocence.

Flaws? What flaws? That is one perfect pony. :pinkiehappy:

But in all seriousness, Pinkie is just like any of the others. She has flaws, and she only knows about some of them. She's worked on a few during the show, and in time, she may get to the others.

A character without strengths and weaknesses would be a bland character indeed. I'd be interested to see what people thought of as 'fixing' Pinkie. Often times, learning not to do one thing leads to unintended consequences in another area. Kind of like Fluttershy in the Iron Will episode, except, um, not as rushed.

Are Pinkie's flaws particularly bad? I don't think so, but Pinkie's my favorite pony, so I'm biased. I think Rainbow's personality issues are more disruptive than Pinkie's, honestly. I think that's down to preference, though. I'm sure Rainbow lovers don't feel the same way.

3990102 It depends on the flaws, and the extent to which they are a problem. A character who's flaw is sometimes not understanding what others are saying, is different from a character who's flaw is trying too hard to conceal how she really feels.

Comment posted by thecheshirecat1 deleted Jan 20th, 2015

3990219 Well, the proof of detriment is in the pudding, so to speak. Pinkie has plenty of friends and is a fixture of her community, so her flaws can't be that bad for other people. The real issue is Pinkie herself. I think Pinkie is prone to beating herself up and worrying about her place more than any of the others. Pinkie is her own worst enemy and hardest critic.

Indeed. She is my favorite character and I see more good in her then the bad if that makes any sense XD

Which is why those episodes are my most favorite pinkie episodes they really show she has depth and she is pretty sensitive those episodes prove it.

Well that's my point. She shouldn't have to change for anyone it's all a matter of them accepting her for who she is. You can't expect people to change parts of themselves that make them well them. Here's how I see it a true friend will love you no matter what they will see the good more then the bad.

I too am a bit biased when it comes to pinkie so I feel ya there. I just see the good in her more then the bad so of course if you aren't a fan of her you will only see the bad. I really really dislike rainbow dash so I am most likely to see more bad in her then good. I agree a flawless character would be bland.

I almost saw conceal don't feel. But still flaws are meant to be accepted. Flaws is what makes us human or pony we all have them and sometimes people need to learn to accept them and not try to change others in the way you want them to change. That's where things can become unhealthy when you try to force someone to fix themselves you are telling them they are broken and thus need to be fixed.

That's no excuse for not trying to improve yourself.

Like i said before forcing others to change for you and your benefit is unhealthy you are basically telling them they are broken they need to be fixed and that the way they are is wrong and they should feel wrong.

DH7

Pinkie is a great character who's occasionally written badly. I actually liked Filli Vanilli, but that was an episode that portrayed her badly. The problem isn't with the character, so much as the writers. She's too often relegated to being nothing more than comic relief, and that's a shame.

I've read fics that stretched her personality a bit, but these weren't 'fix-fics', these were just authors trying their hand at character-building, with stories that required it.

Hate to be the one to break it to you, but it's true. Sometimes, who you are right now ISN'T good enough, and you need to be willing to recognize and try to excise your personal failings to become a better person.

3990246 Very true. She jumped to conclusions in both of her breakdowns listed above, assuming the worst in her friends, and automatically assuming that everyone had forgotten about her. Moreso than any other character, Pinkie Pie seems to be plagued with the most self-doubt. If she has reason to believe she's screwed up, or that she's losing control, she'll snap.

3990317 It's one of the most fundamental elements of the Pinkie that I'm writing in First Steps. She's very insecure about her place in the group. She knows people think she's weird, but she can't help being herself. She has a hard time accepting love because as much as she wants to be adored, she's used to internalizing rejection. It hurts her, and she's caught between wanting love and being scared of it. It causes her to act out in strange ways that even she doesn't fully understand.

I agree the writers have had a hard time with her character and it seems worse in season four. With the coloring book and being distracted by a balloon and scaring her friend to tears in an episode. I think they simply can't look past comic relief which is why they write her so badly sometimes.

Yeah I think I read a few of those stories wouldn't Alex's pony POV stories count as this? His headcanon for Pinkie is pretty interesting the same with Jordan's so I agree that there are writers who just want to explore her character a bit more so many people have thought she may have been surprise in a previous life because originally she was suppose to have wings in the show.

DH7

I'm familiar with Jordan, but I've not read either author's works yet.

In terms of stretching Pinkie's personality, I'm thinking more on the lines of 'The Games We Play.'

Oooh yeah I think I rememeber that fanfic I read it after I joined the fandom back 2012 its a shame the author retired but they left a legacy behind considering people still talk about "the games we play" yeah that story really did stretch her character I remember people complaining that the author made her OOC. But the author had good intentions i hope man that was a long fanfic and its been ages since I read it. If you ever get the time I would recommend Alex's and Jordan's stories.

Rinnaul
Group Admin

Most of what I'm trying to do with the group is collect those stories that present her in these well-rounded ways and properly explore her character. I think The Games We Play, First Steps, The Brightest Timeline, and More Than Her Mane are some of the best ones in here so far for giving her some proper character exploration.

Fun trivia: As you might guess from the name, that last story is actually what prompted the creation of this group.

Oh okay that makes sense. Those are good fanfics for sure and we do need an archive of fanfics that show her being well rounded. I hope this thread wasn't bad I just saw the group was too quiet...

Rinnaul
Group Admin

Nothing wrong with discussion, and yes, the group is too quiet. I'd expect a lot more chatter from a Pinkie Pie group, myself.

That and I'm very slow at approving stories, which I'm sure helps nothing.

3990587 Well, we also had her potrayals in episodes like "Pinkie Pride", "Maud Pie", and "Twilight Time". "Twilight Time" was probably Pinkie's least hyperactive cameo to date.

DH7

The thing about OOC behavior, is that when it's a writing flaw, it's unexplained. In this, we know why Pinkie behaved in a manner that was inconsistent with her usual self, and it was believable. One of the main points of the story was that people only tend to show a small part of themselves to others, which is entirely true.

When I first read it, Pinkie reacting with jealousy and possessiveness when RD was going to go off to meet Mare-Do-Well struck me as very, very un-Pinkie-like, but the thing is, it struck RD as odd too. It would have been a mistake of Dash were to treat that sort of behavior from her as if it was perfectly normal.

I love Pinkie Pie, and my answer is: No. The only real flaw is when she assumes her friends have abandoned her, and she gets sad.

DH7

I was going to reply to this thread up until I saw my own comment . . . from forty-two weeks ago. You've necroed a thread that's nearly a year old.

4846785 And it's one of the few threads in this group. Make more topics, so I don't accidentally necro stuff looking for somewhere to talk and make friends.

DH7

Make more topics

I'm obligated to do no such thing. I'm a member of countless groups, and I merely reply to whatever is in my feed that looks interesting. I'm not going to make any threads in here because I have nothing to say in this particular forum. I don't make threads often, and when I do, it's more likely going to be in TWG, ADP, or the LGBT forum, and not in one of the countless, random user-created, dead forums that I happen to have signed on to.

If you want to talk and make friends, then you can make a thread, or otherwise post in a forum that's actually active, with topics that are actually current. Most forums are dead, or at least inactive, as is the fate of most user-created forums. Don't tell me 'well, make more threads, then' just to shift blame. We've all revived an old thread here or there. Own up to it, for Christ's sake.

Personally, I don't really see the harm in thread necromancy... :applejackunsure:

DH7

My original post was meant to bring it to the user's attention, and not make a huge deal out of it.

There are minor issues with it. You're essentially hitting the reply button on people who've long-since stopped thinking about the issue, it clutters up people's news feed, and it's overall more productive to start the topic anew, really, not a massively big deal.

3989896 *before reading* Wait, Pinkie has FLAWS?! I must know more. *after reading* Ohhhhhhhhh... k

3989896 The only problem I have is how she is so often portrayed as stupid.
All her other character flaws are things I like.

Her being portrayed as stupid is one of my pet peeves in the show so I agree. her other flaws are what makes her human er pony trust me if she was perfect I probably wouldn't like her as much as I do.

Rinnaul
Group Admin

4868271 4868795

While I wouldn't call her stupid (she's notably perceptive and clever, as well as very creative), I could easily see Pinkie being the least-educated of the group. She and Applejack both grew up as farm girls, but where AJ lived right at the edge of town and would, presumably, have been at least an occasional presence at the schoolhouse, the Pie Rock Farm seems much more remote. If Pinkie was homeschooled, considering how restrictive her home life seemed to be, she could easily lag behind her friends educationally. Particularly if she left at a relatively early age.

If that's the case, does Pinkie consider herself stupid? She wouldn't let it show, but could she just assume that others are more intelligent than her?

Could be solid grounds for a fic on a rarely-explored subject, though I think First Steps and Games We Play both touched on it a bit.

4868937 Possibly, but she seems to be surprisingly smarter than you think. We've seen that she has a photographic memory, and can recall images she's seen before. She is able to organize files for all of Ponyville regarding who likes what, and who doesn't like what. She seems to be almost incapable of holding a grudge, and goes to great lengths to always be happy.

Rinnaul
Group Admin

Yes, but all of those things range from mental tricks to functions of raw intelligence. What I'm talking about is what AJ would call "book learnin'". The actual degree to which one is educated. I'm suggesting that Pinkie would fall victim to something rather like the Dunning Kruger Effect, where she fails to recognize her own capabilities because she's too aware of her failings. She might assume that she's less intelligent than her friends when, in reality, she's just been taught less. This might be particularly problematic for her if she compares herself to Rarity (puts on airs of culture and intellect, might not be able to back it up), Fluttershy (has picked up a variety of skills and knowledge which interests her), or especially Twilight (scholar and legitimate genius).

I'm mostly musing on the possibilities of a story about Pinkie feeling this way about herself, not that she'd be right in thinking it.

4868937 That could be an interesting story.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 39