Aria Blaze 621 members · 379 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

Something occurred to me last night.

Water is not a good place for paper or writing tools. I know, shocking, but it's just one of those things we take for granted.

Now, in Equestria, we can assume that when they aren't feeding on emotional strife, Sirens are mostly aquatic.

When the Dazzlings were banished, we can probably assume that they didn't immediately go to school. Assuming that Canterlot High is in North America, they would have arrived at a time when there were a number of highly developed agricultural American Indian civilizations, and Viking voyager Leif Eiriksson visited and settled an area called Vinland (the northern tip of Newfoundland).

Not exactly the best upbringing for learning to read and write.

Now, i'm sure over the years, they might have learned to recognize a few words (insert "Adagio/Aria complaining about the language changing every century" joke), but we can reasonably guess they learned about human culture mostly through observation.

Interestingly, it seems all the Dazzlings actually did during their stay at Canterlot High was further their plan, rather than any actual schoolwork too, but then again there seem to be very few actual classes at that school, so this probably doesn't count for much.

Do I have a point? did I miss something? am I taking this too seriously?

Oh wow, sheesh. Your right.

Comment posted by IceDragonKing deleted Jan 15th, 2015

Why they are not in Spain? From the names, I think the names like that can't be fit with Vikings.

They should be in 11th century Spain. During the time of the Reconquista.

And caused madness like made the Umayyad Dynasty go shattered and made whole Al-Andalus go to Taifa States.

Then, caused the more and more of hatred between other petty kingdoms in Spain, both Christians and Muslims.

3975887 I guessed North America due to the similarities between it and Equestria.

The Siren's names aren't particularly any ethnicity, as they're musical terms, and naming conventions seem to be the same in the EQG 'verse as in normal Equestria.

But you did said that the Dazzlings come to Earth during the Medieval Age! This is the point of me!

I meant about during the Medieval Age! And for why I chose Spain is because Spain during

the Medieval Age is a country that dominated by knights, warlords and mercenaries.

It is an easy place for the Dazzlings to make hatred.

And for when they go to America. It should be in 1504, when they go with Hernan Cortes

and his crew to Hispaniola in Cuba. I got this information when I read about among

Cortes's crew that he has at least 8 women join the voyage. Among these 8 women, must the Dazzlings of course.

3975852 Some people think that they were ponies before they became sirens, other than that you have a good point.

Interesting thought my friend, one one part that I truly agree with is this:

but we can reasonably guess they learned about human culture mostly through observation.

. The rest of it... well considering I have being sent across the Veil to our world 2000 years ago, they may have encounter Rome before the Vikings... but if they were servants of Discord then I have 2000 years of history to play with, perhaps the Fall of Rome was their doing?

Given Equestria's "millennial problems," it's likely they've been around for about that long Equestria side, meaning roughly 1010-1015 on our Earth was when they came through the portal or were thrown through the barrier, five decades before the Norman invasion of Britain (presuming that time flows similarly in both dimensions). At that point if they didn't learn in Equestria, they'd have to face priests or scribes for literacy lessons. Of course it's entirely possible they're older possibly old enough to be the legendary Greek sirens as well as being the ones from Equestria. If I remember my myths and legends right, Ancient Greece is the first known source of several of the legends regarding creatures seen in Equestria, including both unicorns and pegasi, the hydra, manticore and I believe the cockatrice as well, certainly there's sirens, harpies, merfolk and I think another group that are sort of semi related in Greek myth, or have similar habits and looks.

Actually, having just a quick scan of the BBC history stuff reminded me. It's potentially possible that there were a number of 'outcasts' along with the sirens at one point, including the Minotaur of Knossos, several of the 'monsters' Heracles fought, including the hydra and nemean lion, and other things, and it's possible they attempted to live together for a while, maybe spawning the legends of Atlantis, or responsible for its fall, depending on what legends you want to play with. Heck, maybe you want to have Echidna as a place or portal rather than a living being, and most of the creatures she supposedly birthed were Equestrian or other.

Going back to Aria though, depending on how old she is, she's probably seen a good chunk of history, though it might be she never learned to read, or maybe she first learned in Equestria, if you include comic canon in the tale, the sirens did visit Canterlot at one point, it's possible they picked up some from there or from sailors they charmed, or heck coastal towns/villages, if they weren't equine before becoming siren and learned while ponies.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11