The Ponymarillion 20 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
Ponyweed
Group Admin

... I don't really have anypony to talk to about the fic. This unfortunately makes it difficult to write, because of my process. Basically, I get all my writing ideas (for plot and characterization) from interacting with other people on the subject matter. If I just write it in my head, then I'm essentially talking to myself and everything boils down to my experience, so the result is much less. And talking to people seems to help me about as much as, say, dreaming an idea, only stories you come up with in your dreams are usually illogical and don't hold up when you're awake.

As Fritz Lang used to say about his movie sets -- I'm largely a visual person -- so the Ponymarillion originated as a series of vignettes. So setting and description I am much better at on my own. I have a whole host of ideas for illustrations sketched out in my head (or sloppily on paper) -- I'm only waiting on that new drawing tablet I promised myself I'd get, (back in 2011 when the idea for the fic first started to come about. because scanning sucks.) Fortunately it looks like that will finally happen. (I was hoping to get it done for Christmas but it's essentially a gift from a friend.) So the one thing I know how to do entirely on my own is sketch art, and I hope to start churning some out soon.

Perhaps that will lead to some interest from a fellow Tolkien fan, because right now there isn't anyone I'm in touch with.

I know folks have said I should train myself on writing short stories, but my primary interest is in this fic, and a series of one-off parodies. This fic is the one that's come together as a story in my head and I'm not a person that generally feels called to write fiction. I feel called to do graphic-design stuff (mostly real life) so this called to me as someone steeped in Tolkien, as a set of images with a story behind them. If I spent a year or two trying to become a fan fiction writer, it wouldn't be fun -- and this is fun for me -- but the only part of it I really know how to do entirely on my own is sketch art.

But if there were a couple Tolkien fans out there who are bronies, exchanging ideas about the fic would make it much easier for me to write, because that is my process. Which means, yeah, I'm not an accomplished writer who can come up with dialogue and stories entirely on my own, but I'm very good at emulating Tolkien's style... which would be a thankless job for most, which means I can do the actual writing -- and I'm good at coming up with story ideas and getting into the head of characters... but only when I am able to articulate ideas in communication with someone else.

If that makes any sense. :unsuresweetie:

Ideally someone here on fimfic. Or better yet (for me) on IRC, if you're interested in bandying about ideas for a fic.

So if you see this message and are a fan of this sort of thing, or know someone that would be interested, please do let me know what you think. :scootangel: Peace!

Ponyweed
Group Admin

BTW, If I can get even a little bit written (with the help of beta feedback from other bronies?) there's a Tolkien fan site where I might actually be able to post it, as a crossover fandom thing. The person who runs it expressed interest, as it seemed like the sort of off-the-wall idea they like. Oh, and Drawponies is willing to do up a couple of the illustrations, if I provide them with character studies; they are Tolkien fans.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2