School For New Reviewers 183 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

This is a glowing trend I notice with myslef when I do my reviews at the end of every fic. I seem to be really, REALLY, positive towards it if its good and only will bring out the flaws when I am in the middle of a badfic. Is this a bad thing though? I do acknowledge the flaws of something I like, like MLP or W.I.T.C.H. ;however, when I review something, I just seem to push it to the side and go, "Well, yeah, its there, but you know what was awesome?"

For example, DBZ. I can admit to the several flaws of it, but I will probably ignore them and focus on all that is good about it. The same goes for KEnshin.

Again, its not that I will not accept that a product has flaws, everything does, if not, then I would call a person a liar. Heck, I will even admit it when I want to. But...is this a bad thing. Does this make one a bad review when he/she decides to want to look on the positives rather than tje negatives and ocus on what they like?

Give credit where it goes good, criticize where it goes bad. But give more focus on the criticism than the praise, as the criticism is meant to give feedback to improve on; if it did something good then they already know how to do that thing properly. Though said praise is also important, as it lets the person know they are able to do it correctly.

4246920 I think it depends. If you want to simply give your own opinion, then just say whatever you feel like. If you happen to be a naturally positive person, why shouldn't you be happy and smiley? There's nothing wrong with seeing the good in things.

If you're doing a review to help the author, then it becomes more complicated. You want to get across what needs improvement and what's being done well, and optimism can muddy that information.

If you're trying to give readers helpful information on whether they'll want to read the story or not, you'll also have to compensate for the fact that not everyone will be as positive as you, and they're the intended recipient of the review.

The same goes with seeing the worst in things, too. But as far as I'm concerned, if you have a certain opinion, and can back it up with constructive arguments, you can be as negative or as optimistic as you want: it's your opinion, after all, and so long as it isn't stupid, that can't be taken away from you. But the tone will change how people read it, and that's something to think of.

DH7

Don't force criticism, but don't be afraid to dish it out and to stand your ground. Someone who gets nothing but empty praise might feel good in the short-term, but that road leads to delusion and arrogance. I've actually ran into people who have tried to talk about all the praise they get as a way of blowing raspberries at that one guy who gives an honest critique. These people will not grow, and they are a cancer to fanfiction across the Interweb.

Casca
Group Contributor

myslef

Sounds like it's more that you can't see the negatives...

like MLP or W.I.T.C.H. ;however,

Semicolon abuse.

But...is this a bad thing.

Unnecessary ellipses in a post from a reviewer is like seeing a milk bottle in a thirty-year-old man's mouth.

when he/she decides to want to look on the positives rather than tje negatives and ocus on

Do you want some water for that choking going on?

Broski - man in the mirror, and all that good stuff. Whether or not a review is good is subjective, but grammar remains unbreakable unless you're breaking the rules with a very specific purpose in mind.

I feel the same way! :twilightsmile: I think we're just nice people, OP. Nice people are good! We need more of them!

Honestly, it depends on the purpose of your review. Seattle's Angels do mostly to wholly positive reviews, because there's about promotion first and discussion second. Chris of One Man's Pony Ramblings does balanced reviews that don't delve into how to fix mistakes; he points them out, along with the good, to give what is hopefully an even presentation of the work. However, if you were an author looking for how to get on to Equestria Daily after a second rejection, these wouldn't be of much help (ego boost aside).

If you're doing a review for an audience, tailor it to their interests. If you're doing a review for an author (which some will argue should be called a proofread, or edit), do it according to their interests. Which is where some misconception occurs: maybe the author either doesn't actually want the help and is only looking for someone to tell him "nothing's wrong"; maybe that's not entirely the case but the initial reaction is unwelcoming, leading you to think that; maybe he doesn't want three pages berating a single misplaced comma when what he really wants to know is if the incomplete chapters are worth resuming. As convenient as it may be, the editing process should never be a return trip: a dialogue before you start is best to make sure neither of you waste your time.

Of course, if we're talking about just Fimfic comments... whatever floats your boat, I guess.

So, considering the three responses: Which one did you take to the best, OP? Which one the least? Which one was more useful?

Depth of thought. That's what separates the great reviews from the mediocre ones. Anyone can produce shallow thoughts, positive or not, that don't really add much to the general understanding or discussion. After all, anyone can feel for themselves whether or not they like a thing just from first impressions. The why behind it takes time to figure out and frame into tangible sentences, and therefore that is where the value lies. Even if your review is fully positive, if you give insightful enough explanations and analysis, it's a good review - even if it's utterly damning on par with Lucifer's fall from heaven, the justifications and arguments can be convincing to the point of zero possible denial.

About the editing mistakes, I don't usually forum posts.

But,

Unnecessary ellipses in a post from a reviewer is like seeing a milk bottle in a thirty-year-old man's mouth.

I am an ellipses holic! I admit, I have a problem :raritycry:

So, considering the three responses: Which one did you take to the best, OP? Which one the least? Which one was more useful?

What does it say about me that I actually was weighing all three posts? I mean, I love all four for their own ways.Yours does remind me of what I do while I am being positive, anylaize the meanings of the show or fic, look for the deeper meanings in the stories, or at least look at them from all sides.

While,

offers a chance to remember that all of the positivity means nothing that if you don't improve from it.

And then we have

Who both remind me to also pay attention to critisms as I give out my reviews. So they are all great in their own ways.

4247573 I generally go of the opinion that if I can explain why I'm saying what I'm saying, it'll all be all right. There's a big difference between justified praise and mindless pandering, which is why the explanation bit is important.

If you do truly believe that despite something's flaws, it's still a worthwhile read, say so. But explain why. I don't see why every reviewer should come to the same conclusion about a story's worth. Except grammar, of course.

Can't really get around that one.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7