The Cult of Nightmare Star 27 members · 1 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

Alright you buffons.

I've read a lot of uneducated, half-witted, snot-nosed little shits who claim to be reviewers completely miss the specific intricacy and depth of Nightmare Star's Revenge, stooping to petty lows to expose the flaws of the grammatical and semiotic nature of the story. These are obviously ludicrous graspings at proverbial straws, done in a desperate attempt to denounce the glory that is Nightmare Star. In truth, Nightmare Star's Revenge is not only the greatest story on the site, but indeed the greatest work of art ever conceived by a human being.

The latter, of course, is a blasphemous claim. Much like how Christians claim that The Holy Bible was written by their omnipotent God, it seems fairly safe to believe that Nightmare Star's Revenge, being a holy scripture of equal impact and magnitude, was written by none other than Nightmare Star Himself. To call it "art" is undermining of its full magnitude of importance. I've created a petition that I intend to send to the powers that be, asking for Nightmare Star to be regarded as a deity and therefore Nightmare Star's Revenge to be regarded as holy scripture. If it worked with Scientologists, it can fucking work with us.

One frequent criticism I see of Nightmare Star's Revenge is the apparent lack of grammatical consistency. Words are misspelt or improperly capitalized, there are no conceivable paragraph indents, no punctuation to differentiate many sentences... uneducated fools seem to completely miss these obviously intentional actions that our saviour Nightmare Star has performed.

Note: I'm aware that he acknowledges these flaws and deems them as him being "lazy" and not correcting them, but I propose that this is actually a test of faith—one that so many damned sinners seem to have completely failed, failed as miserably as the birth control that should have prevented them from entering this world and spreading their hapless pagan virtues.

First of all, let's look at the concept of grammar as a whole. Literary critic Jacques Derrida calls literary grammar "an elaborate concept of arbitrary claims requiring; (i) an arbitrarily conceived universal signifier, (ii) a conditioned populace unwilling to abandon the structure of an elaborate universal signifier."

Conditioned populace? Sound familiar? It should. The conditioned populace is represented in Nightmare Star's Revenge during the initial interactions between the Mane 6 and Nightmare Star. They are surprised by his claims about Celestia. They are, in essence, below the Celestia, or more specifically, below the arbitrarily conceived societal structure conceived by the Celestia. Nevermind the fact that Equestria is an apparent utopia with no war and poverty, we all know that Freedom is practically synonymous with being able to do whatever you want, and therefore the creation of rules and laws is suppressing freedom without exception. Therefore, Nightmare Star, by intentionally denying the arbitrarily rules of grammatical and semiotic structure, reflects Nightmare Star also intentionally denying the arbitrarily conceived rules of the Celestia. By extension, any individual claiming that the story suffers from grammatical flaws also by extension is trapped underneath the Celestia's rules and is in essence below the Celestia. Much like how Emily Dickinson uses unconventional capitalization or placement of EM-dashes, or how Stanley Kubrick disregards the conventional rules of cinematic structure, Nightmare Star's Revenge is an entirely intentional subversion of "arbitrary signifiers."

By disregarding grammatical structure, Nightmare Star is disregarding societal structure and rising above the Celestia.

Another element, beyond the grammatical specifics of the words themselves, is what in modern lingo has been dubbed a "Wall of Text." There are no divisions of paragraphs or indeed proper sentences. I believe that this is yet another intentional action that reflects the character of Nightmare Star. There are no breaks in the action or chaotic disharmony of the story, which reflects the sad, tragic truth that there are no breaks in the action or chaotic disharmony of Nightmare Star's life. Nightmare Star is forced to always suffer, and we the readers are shown first hand the plight of Nightmare Star by the specifics of the narrative means.

I hope I've managed to set the record straight and counteract the blasphemous claims that "Nightmare Star's Revenge" is ungrammatical and therefore a lesser form of literature. I just want to end by analyzing Nightmare Star's notes to his loyal subjects:

well after a while I got some stuff done.

This is the only time in recorded history Nightmare Star has conversed with us personally, and with Nightmare Star's Second Coming on the dawn, I would just like to point out that "getting some stuff done" does not refer to the writing of the story, it refers to the structure of our known universe. Cleanse yourselves before Nightmare Star's second coming, my brothers and sisters. Don't be left below the Celestia.

FamousLastWords
Group Admin

4928598 In the name of the Nightmare, the Star and the Holy Mainshep... Ra'men.

4928598 This is the greatest thing I have ever read in my life. May you have the powers of fire (poof) fire to carry you forth.

In the name of the Nightmare, The Star, and the Holy Mainshep, R'amen.

4928598 What about Nightmare Star's color symbolism? How could you forget something so important! You dare call yourself a reviewer? I scoff at such a claim.

5320312 Did you miss that crucial aspect of Nightmare Star? I wouldn't know. :trollestia:

5320319 At least I made you join this horrible group so that you could reply to my comment.

5320321 Is it really so horrible? Has madness brought about worse?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8