Printed Fiction Hardcopies 398 members · 710 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18

To guide them in choosing which fantasy horse-punk fan fic to print next, the Ministry of Image book publisher has a ticky-box survey on Google Docs (see https://www.ministryofimage.net/post/ministry-of-image-survey-2022 ) with the following selection:

A Little Loopy. 1 book.
Appledashery. 7 books.
Arrow 18 Mission Logs: Lone Ranger. 1 book.
Austraeoh. 1-2 books.
It's a Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door. 1 book.
Magical Mystery Oops. 1 book.
Prey by Kkat. 1 book.
Shipping and Handling. 1 book.
Starlight Over Detrot: A Noir Tale. 9 books.
The Flight of the Alicorn. 2 books.
The Games We Play. 1 book.
Upheaval: Breaking Point. 1 book.
Xenophilia. 1 book.
Your Human and You. 3 books.

I only read books in dead tree format (it's cutting edge tech!) so I'm mostly clueless as to what to vote for. I thought Austraeoh and It's a Dangerous Business were already available in print, there were links I'd followed and purchases I'd pondered thanks to the Equestrian Vault a few years ago ( https://equestrianvault.com/ ). But as for the rest of them, I'm clueless. I did not see a physical print option in the past so I did not read them, so I don't know if they're a compelling read. Help me get a clue, oh great and powerful lazyweb!

Disclosure, my favorite books include: Background Pony by Shortskirtsandexplosions, Project: Sunflower by Hoopy McGee, Stardust by Arad, Fallout: Equestria by Kkat, Pink Eyes by Mimezinga and tweaked by Zemming's editing team, The Haunting by Admiral Biscuit and The Best Night Ever by Captain Chryssalid.

(oh bug. still can't insert images from Flickr. is it because it's resized?)

Themisto
Group Admin

Thank you Frith for the news.:twilightsmile:

My hope is that Upheaval: Breaking Point is one of the chosen fanfics. This would also be my main recommendation for you. It is a great story with a lot of lore and some dark elements. It is definitely worth a read if you liked the Fallout Equestria fanfic. Other fanfics I read/heard as an audiobook of the survey are Arrow 18 Mission Logs: Lone Ranger and It's a Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door

Arrow 18 Mission:
The story was okay but not great. If you like "human in Equestria" and Sci-fi stories you could buy it as a book. But if you dislike one of these points I would not recommend it. Though I believe my judgment is a bit harder than the average who reads the stories. 

Dangerous Business:
This story is a bit better than Arrow 18 Mission. If you like to read about a nice Adventure with Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity I can recommend reading it. But if you are interested in the story you should buy the Lulu version (in my opinion) since it is already available and probably only a third as expensive. It is so much cheaper since it is a paperback. I own the Lulu version. ^ c ^

Equestrian Vault
If you like Equestrian Vault I can also recommend taking a look at the stories folders of this group. There you can find big lists with links that also include print-on-demand books with multiple smaller stories. Equestrian Vault only lists books with one big story and not collections. The other benefit of these lists is that they have the stories directly in the folders included. 
Print on Demand (Rated T and under)
Print on Demand (Rated M)

Man I really hope Chessie's Starlight Over Detrot: A Noir Tale makes the cut. I love the fanfic to death and would pick up a physical copy in a heartbeat.

I too am gonna vote for a massive 9-volume collection of Starlight
It's too incredible a treasure to deny :rainbowkiss:

You're welcome and thanks for the detailed reply!

I shall test-read a few chapters of Upheaval, that sounds good! Arrow 18: I have enjoyed stories combining a human in Equestria and sci-fi before, it's not a hardship. ^_^ Stories that are 'not great' are a wee bit less interesting. That is why I didn't buy Dangerous Business. I was expecting great things from that classic but after I'd read a few chapters I decided that it was less than stellar. I have a few books on my back shelf that were a bit less than stellar. I'm trying to avoid adding to that shelf :unsuresweetie:

I have the rated T and under link in the sticky in my MLP:FiM community sticky post, along with Pony Feather, https://absolutelyeverything.org/, and DJazz's eBooks. Georg also has a list here of Lulu prints: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/866979/bronycon-bookstore-the-15-percent-off-after-con-sale and of course Nonexistent Publishing is great for crowdfunding quality print runs of good books ( https://www.fimfiction.net/user/129042/Avonder ). :eeyup: I'm overdue for another crawl through all those lists for fresh reading material. I have the last chapter of Contraptionology to finish, then The Alicorn Adventures and the Badge Granted collection to read. I only have Changeling Space Program pending in my not-yet-mailed book pile. I tend to consider collections of short novels _last_ because it takes longer to sample each tale and unless most of the stories look great, I'm less likely to want to buy the collection.

I read the first three chapters of Upheaval. It's looking good, I would buy a print copy! The writing is a bit stiff and spare on the descriptions but I see a lot of potential world building. ^_^

Chessie's Starlight Over Detrot: A Noir Tale. Will investigate, thanks! 9 volumes! And I thought Murky Number Seven was long! :derpyderp1:

Themisto
Group Admin

You are welcome. And also thank you for the long reply.

Only buying excellent/great books is definitely a great idea. As well as test reading the stories before buying. I did not do this and this is why I also have some books I call bad, even though this is pretty rare. One book I disliked is the The Silent Ponyville Collection [Lulu-link]. Even though Silent Ponyville (1) has many likes it is not well written and it also did not age well (Spoilers: I remember that Pinkie Pie is running away from  Slender Man for many chapters). Though this was one of my first books bought 5 years ago. The other books I bought back then are still one of my favorites, The Alicorn Adventures. I am one of the owners of the 4 Lulu Books. These books are sadly not available any more on Lulu since iisaw's account was banned. (The books were one of the best and the stories are great but not the best). Not sure how the Ministry of Image book is from the inside but the outside of the Lulu books is definitely better in my opinion.

I'm overdue for another crawl through all those lists for fresh reading material.

Nice then I definitely recommend chasing out these two lists. As far as I know, there is the most extensive Print-on-Demand List out there. And in my opinion, they are the easiest to use. Though I am probably extremely biased since there was my design and I am one of two people who wrote them. :twilightsheepish:

Do you have a picture of your library online?
This is a great picture of my library over a year ago.

I too have some books that I would rather not have read. I started out hypothesizing that if a book had a print version, especially a crowd funded print run, it had to be good! Ah ha ha ha ha, nope.

I haven't test-read Silent Ponyville yet. Perhaps because trying to vet a collection of short stories by many authors is a slow slog or more likely, I'm not keen on horror. I wouldn't touch Past Sins for years because I thought that Twilight got executed in it. Got my crowd funded copy in 2013. ^_^ I have two of the Lulu prints from The Alicorn Adventures which I acquired prior to the troll-strike that got them removed. I had intended to get the other two after Loganberry ( https://www.fimfiction.net/user/27580/Loganberry ) assured me that the ramped up shipping in book two had been toned down a lot in the subsequent volumes. So when MOI picked it up, I got a fresh set of all four books. Yes, the artwork on the Lulu prints was great. :raritywink:

Thank you for compiling the Print-on-Demand list! It has been very helpful. :twilightsmile:

Your book collection is neat and tidy! Twilight Sparkle aesthetic. ^_^ Looking Glass looks intriguing.

Book collection pictures: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50919956977_976f6937c3_z.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49721707538_9d78cd1bfd_z.jpg

Those are the best pictures. My books are spread over three different (small) bookcases and I haven't taken a grand unifying book pile picture lately, although I've toyed with the idea of constructing a whirlpool out of chickenwire, lining it with books and having a plush Twilight drowning in books at the bottom... Probably looks better in my head. Even if I add in all the IDW comics, I probably don't have enough books for a proper bookfort either.

I thought Austraeoh and It's a Dangerous Business were already available in print

It's a Dangerous Business certainly is -- you can get it from Lulu, though presumably not as nicely constructed as the same book would be in MOI form.

I shan't be voting, as none of those books are so must-have to me personally as to make the high cost of the MOI publications* worthwhile. In any case, I've only read a few of them. I am very pleased that MOI is doing this, but they're likely to be a bit of a niche collector's item, along the lines that high-quality plushies are, I suspect.

* I'm in the UK, so even a moderate-length collection like iisaw's Alicorn Adventures is $90 from MOI before you even get into import charges. I really like those stories, but I can't really justify that kind of outlay right now. A very long work like Starlight Over Detrot would be $300 and up, I'd imagine.

Eek! $300 US plus postage is getting to about as much as I can squeeze out of one prepaid "gift card"! Starlight would have to be some good to warrant that. I was not at all keen on It's a Dangerous Business which is sad. With all the hype for that tale ten-ish years ago, I was hoping for a print version... until I saw that it was on Lulu and I read the first few chapters. :fluttershysad: In some ways, it's good that fan-made plush ponies are so expensive. I have so many official plush ponies, I just don't have room for them all in my glass cabinets! It's also easier to get small bookcases at Goodwill. :raritywink:

I voted for The Flight of the Alicorn (I'm still miffed I missed the original print by the author, even if it was bloody expensive) and The Games We Play (probably not the greatest story ever, but it has special significance to me due to it being one of the first ever ponyfics I've ever read back in the PFV days) because I wanted to limit myself to two. I would most probably buy Upheaval as well though.

(ok, and I also voted My book isn't on the list)

I'm currently waiting to see whether MoI will be at GalaCon or not: if they are, I'll just reserve some books and collect them there, otherwise I'm waiting for TEK to go pre-order, get 3-4 additional books to go with it (Hard Reset + Alicorn Adventures at least), and tell them to send it as one giant package or something.

I really want to get a nice bookcase someday, but I currently do not have space for it anywhere at all. A picture of my current 'setup' wouldn't really be fair, because you'd think "but that looks like a nice shelf already?" yeah, because to take the picture I'd remove all the other stuff that is in front of the books (otherwise you don't see many books at all, let alone be able to read titles).

Ooh, good choice! I should vote for My book isn't on the list too! :rainbowlaugh: That or Sir Fan Fic Not Appearing in This List.

OK, I need to test read The Flight of the Alicorn, The Games We Play, and Starlight Over Detrot: A Noir Tale.

Themisto
Group Admin

I made sent my reply as a PM since it is off-topic to this thread. ^c^

Themisto
Group Admin

I also voted for My book isn't on the list. Who knows maybe this option wins. :trollestia:
Too Hopefully, get my books next time on the list. Sent MOI an E-Mail with three suggestions.

1. The Irony of Applejack by Mister Friendly
  2. Empty Horizons by Goldenwing
  3. Split Second by wille179

Stories 2 and 3 both are not as well known (views and likes) as other MOI books but I think there could still sell nicely.

Found it and replied. :twilightsmile:
I think it's good to send suggestions to these publishers. ^_^ I recall Nonexistent Publishing asking for suggestions from time to time, for both short stories and full length books. I can no longer frequent Discord due to the Smart Phone requirement for 2FA (I wouldn't give an entertaining chat venue my phone number even if I had a smart phone) so I'm a wee bit out of the loop as to if or when either MOI or Nonexistent are looking for fresh suggestions.

I'd really like to see Integration by Raugos on a future survey. One of my favorite stories and has a fantastic reading by Thornquill Audiofics on Youtube.

I put in my vote for "It's Dangerous Businesses Going Outside Your Door" Most excited for it.

There's a new survey out. Mostly the same books as before, but some new ones: https://www.ministryofimage.net/post/ministry-of-image-survey-november-2022-stage-1

It's a two-stage thing this time, so I didn't limit myself to two this time like I did before. Of the new ones, Empty Horizonsh and Memoirs are the highlights for me. I'm not too worried about imports anymore, since it's on everything now the "administration fee" went down to 4 Euro (instead of 11).

I mean there's also other books I'd buy, and I did also select that option, but there's at least five titles on that list that I'd get anyway...

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18