The Fimfiction Post 113 members · 144 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

Thunderbolt Sentinel said:
I apologize for sending this so late. I was busy and it slipped my mind to write these out. I am very sorry for any inconvenience this causes.
Question 1) What got someone like you into the fandom in the first place? We all join for different reasons, what is yours?

Question 2) Fallout: Equestria is easily one of the most well known fan-fictions of all time for both the Fallout and My little Pony communities. Given how different they are, where did the inspiration come to combine the two into the masterpiece we know?

Question 3) Many authors look up to you on our site, but are there any authors you yourself look up to?

Question 4) Were you expecting Fallout: Equestria to become so popular? Popular enough to gain it's own Role Playing Game and a video game in the making?

Question 5) As a member of the fandom, we all run into troublesome users from time to time. Have you ever had a bad encounter with a user (no need to give out his/her name if you don't want to) that you've remembered?

Question 6) Do you have any writing plans for the future you feel comfortable sharing?

Question 7) As a final note, do you have any advice to other authors out there? Any words of wisdom for our fellow Fimfiction users?

Thank you for your patience.:twilightsmile:

3h, 45m ago
Kkat said:

1) I hate to admit it, but I was teasing a friend of mine for loving My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. He rightly pointed out that if I hadn’t seen the show, I had no grounds to judge it. So he challenged me to watch five episodes, just a couple hours worth... and then, if I still wanted to mock him, he would willingly take it.
I have a lot to thank him for. Not only for introducing me to such a wonderful show, and by extension this community, but for hammering home a crucial life lesson about judging something without having taken the time to experience it. Even more than that, he later became one of my editors for Fallout: Equestria.

2) The spark was an art piece called “Fallout: Pony Vegas” by Dan Shive. It was a wonderful piece, playing on my twin loves of Friendship is Magic and the Fallout series of games; but the picture didn't make sense within the context of the show. I started thinking about how you could really merge the two and do it right. I asked myself how you could blend the two together in a way that was reverent to Friendship is Magic, was respectful of its characters, and overall made sense.

3) Obviously, the greatest inspirations for Fallout: Equestria are the writers of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and the Fallout series of games. But beyond that, there are several authors who influenced my overall writing style.
The largest influences were J. Michael Straczynski, Stephen King, Joss Whedon and S. Andrew Swann. Straczynski, with his phenomenal television series Babylon 5, is by far the greatest influence on the way I craft epic stories. I should also give special mention to J.K. Rowling and H.P. Lovecraft. While neither had the level of influence of the authors above, I have a great amount of love for their stories and respect for both of them. Lovecraft in particular inspired how I handled a few aspects of my story’s world-building.

4) Oh my, no! When I started writing Fallout: Equestria, I had high hopes that I might get a dozen or two dedicated readers. I certainly didn’t expect the story to blossom like it did under the overwhelmingly wonderful amount of support and response that I got from the brony community. The outpouring from this community so vastly exceeded my expectations that I still feel stunned, humbled and unimaginably grateful.
I was completely blown away by the Fallout: Equestria fandom and the welcoming and positive reactions from the brony community as a whole. I am deeply honored and thankful. I really love the brony community.

5) The story is well-known and popular enough that it has generated it's own little anti-fandom of people who hate it -- mostly people who have never given the story a try, but who cannot imagine the combination working or who are just tired of hearing about it. This is normal -- I'm sure we've all encountered people on the internet who hate MLP and bronies because they feel the fandom is "invading" their internet space. But most of these people are mature enough to politely keep to themselves or their own groups, so I am thankful to say that I have only rarely had trouble with them.

6) Nothing solid at this time, but I am considering a few ideas. I must admit, most of my creativity and storytelling is currently being channeled into roleplaying campaigns that I am running.

7) Absolutely. But for that, I'm going to direct you to my blog essay "On Writing". :twilightsmile:

Thank you!
--Kkat

Reviewed by DerpyMuffin7

Honestly, I'm really happy I had this opportunity. Kkat is one of my favorite authors, and Fallout Equestria is easily one of my favorites, if not my favorite story for both Fallout and MLP works. As it is a mature story I cannot link it here, but I do recommend reading it.:scootangel:

Scootaloo96
Group Contributor

5298002 Very informative

5298016 I hope so. Kkat blogs pretty often, and her blogs are usually huge, but I still felt like she'd be a good person to interview given how famous she is in our community.:rainbowwild:

Scootaloo96
Group Contributor

5298032 Yeah I can understand, she seems pretty awesome :rainbowdetermined2:

I hope to one day be as successful as her

5298036 We all do. Hell, reading her story made me want to convert a Fallout story of mine to a MLP crossover one similar to Fallout Equestria. (I'll get more readers on Fim anyways):rainbowwild:

Scootaloo96
Group Contributor
Vanilla Mocha
Group Admin
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7