Writer's Workshops 142 members · 106 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

5710937 So, it says in the description of that episode that it's the first episode, and the pilot.

Yet this is the second episode.

Flutterpriest
Group Admin

Ffffffdffffffffdffd

Fixing.

5710937 Also, the definition of minutiae is 'the small, precise, or trivial details of something'.

Belated on getting around to listening through this ^^ Busy weekend/New Years!

An interesting story for sure. For the semi-related record, Flupri, you have a very soothing reading voice for this kind of tale, in my opinion. ^^

To hop off 5711080's definition right quick, I think the issue wasn't the word, but a missing word.

The minutia of weddings

That said, I'm not entirely clear on whether it should be minutia or minutiae. :applejackconfused:

I certainly wasn't expecting the inclusion of magical lore with the Socius spell. I thought it was woven in well, explained just enough to understand it without feeling like drawn-out exposition or overtaking the point of the story. It was brought in to bring up rather than drag down, and it did that well.

Of course, what is the point of the story? That seems to be in contention between the two of you, and I agree that I'm not sure I see the message, if there is one.

It was definitely emotionally written. As Flupri said, there's clear heart and clear feelings. Cadence is full of melancholy and Shining is a poor pained soul.

Honestly, I felt worse for Shining than Cadence. I didn't quite get the impression that he intended to share Cadence so much as he was willing to give her up to make her happy. It certainly wasn't the potential beginning of a healthy polyamory, as stated.

Shining has some clear issues, ones that aren't resolved by the end of the tale, so "resolving a marriage conflict" that doesn't seem to be the point... but perhaps it is, just not for his sake?

Cadence has feelings for Twilight. Shining confronts her on them with the resolution to [share her or give her up, I'm not clear on that]. Cadence realizes that Shining loves her and resolves herself to stay with him rather than pursue Twilight.

I guess... that's the point, if there is one? "The grass isn't always greener"? "The one who will let you go loves you most"? Cadence's love seems empowered by Shining's self-sacrificing nature, rather than Shining's confidence becoming bolstered by Cadence's resolve to stay with him, so the focus seems to me to be on Cadence and not Shining.

The potential message of "it's okay to have crushes" offered by y'all doesn't jive with me because Shining made it clear in multiple lines that it's not a crush, it's equal to the love she has for him. Or perhaps the point is it's not equal to the love she has for him and she needed to be confronted on it to see that.

It would be super interesting to have Cinna's insight, either here in the forum thread or in a later video. There is obviously some uncertainty between you two, and I have some myself. ^^

All in all, though, I thought it served well as a melancholy piece about a conflict in a marriage. Crushes/attraction to others is a thing that can happen to someone who is married, but recognizing them as that and how they differ from the bond you have with your spouse is the important part. If that was the message, then it's one I agree with.

It kinda dawned on me what might be happening. They shared their feelings with that spell, so Cadances love for Twilight could have been transfered or amplifed by Shining's brotherly love for Twilight. That would be quite the twist.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6