Starry Eyed Reviews 69 members · 82 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Fallen Angel N
Group Admin

Okay, time for "Big Tavi Lil Tavi Cardboard Box" by All Art Is Quite Useless. https://www.fimfiction.net/story/361299/big-tavi-lil-tavi-cardboard-box

This story just BARELY doesn't break the rule of the 95% approval rating. :rainbowlaugh:

I'll start by saying that this kind of story usually isn't my cup of tea. I can enjoy deep intricate dramas at times, but usually not on a consistent basis unless the story is that compelling. For this reason I'm gonna be adding a new feature where if a type of genre isn't my area of expertise, a small amount of bonus points will be given to counterbalance. Enough rambling... :facehoof:

The beginning chapter of the story didn't capture my attention that much at first. I just read it, acknowledged it and moved on. Later down the line I became slightly more invested in the story so I went back and looked over the first chapter again. It's pretty good. The first chapter does a decent job of explaining the dynamic between the two of them. Vinyl does kind of come off as a little annoying on the first chapter. We do see later however that, that sort of behavior by her was a little unusual and Vinyl does regret her actions after the incident. However you might want to be a little careful as this is the VERY FIRST time readers are seeing your version of Vinyl and this attitude of hers could easily be misconstrued as the norm for her. :duck:

However there is quite a bit more depth shown for Octavia and Vinyl. Vinyl more in my opinion, but I could be wrong, I've only read four chapters. The author here is pretty good with details and this allows us to pretty easily see the cause and effect behind the characters. This also helps things flow rather smoothly as the author isn't in any rush to get on with plot points or events. :pinkiesmile:

Despite the two main characters appearing quite different, they can also seem quite similar as both of them seem rather quick to feel bad over events and blame themselves. Again, more so Vinyl. The way Vinyl is shown is rather interesting as it goes deeper than the typical "Rockin' Pon3" and shows us unusual traits and thoughts we might not expect her to have. :rainbowderp: Her usual carefree personality hides various fears and doubts that to me represent Vinyl in a gilded cage, and of her own choice at that. I can kinda relate to your interpretation of her. Normally carefree, having a bad day, blaming yourself and feeling worse, exploding, and then feeling bad are personal events I can name a few of. All in all this story is a good read, so you should probably check it out.

Big Tavi Lil Tavi Cardboard Box: 78/100
Not my cup of tea: +5
Final Verdict: 83/100
:twilightsheepish: A story well worth it's salt

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1