Changeling Panic! 19 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
master18
Group Admin

Stolen from bahatumay's Da Rulez for now since they seem to have become the default rules. Will be adjusted if bahatumay doesn't like them being stolen

General Rules / Thread Basics

• If your 'I want in' post is not a reply to me, you have no right to be in the game. There is a lot of chatter in the thread and I use the notifications to know when to update my spreadsheet with new players. If a reply is not made to me, I'll try and add you in; but if I don't see your post and start the game without you, you won't be added later.

• It is acknowledged that our collective ability to stay on topic is about as effective as a screen door on a submarine, but the request is still made to take all posts prior to game start that are not specifically requesting admittance to the off-topic thread. Having to switch pages to find the replies slows down the day post, especially when I’m doing it on mobile.

• Please do not post in the game thread unless you are requesting entrance to the game.
  • Roles are distributed by random number generator. This means that I set which roles I want in the game based on the number of players that have signed up, then use a random number generator to choose which role goes to which player. Changeling roles are listed first, then town power, then neutral. The rest become background ponies.
  • Most people enjoy seeing what happens in-game even after being killed, so all game posts will be replies to everyone. If you don’t want those replies after being killed, PM me.
  • It is considered extremely bad manners to edit any post, aside from striking out a previous vote.

• This includes (but is certainly not limited to) changing your username mid-game.

• Changing names and profile pictures in an attempt to subvert game mechanics is grounds for a heart attack.
  • Players will be removed from the game after three game days (three day cycles and three night cycles) of no activity (equivalent to six slots in the spreadsheet). Activity is defined as posting in the thread or sending in a night action. Even if you have no action to take, sending in something like 'I take no action' helps get the game started faster (and saves me from having to count up three game days from your last activity in the thread).

• Three game days means a full cycle of day and night. The three-day count starts the cycle after your last activity, which means that the count might start on a night cycle.
    • For these purposes, Day 0 (which usually lasts the full 24 hours) counts as a day cycle.
    • Even if you can take no action, I do not start the day until 24 hours have passed or until all remaining players have sent in something. This is so I don't accidentally cut off a will or last message of suspicions or anything like that.
  • Pictures (animated or static) are allowed in the thread, as are links to YouTube videos. Spamming of either, however, is always grounds for a heart attack. Some of us check the game on mobile, after all.
  • It is forbidden to post screenshots of messages from the GM / other players because they are 1) very believable and 2) easily faked.
  • As per the site rules update, roleplaying is expressly forbidden.

• I find it somewhat silly, and will probably not play along if it shows up in the thread. But I might. Depends on the day, really.
  • The game Changeling Panic! takes place in the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic universe. References to things, events, or characters outside of this universe will be ignored and possibly mildly ridiculed.
  • Pinkie Promises are considered null and void in the context of this game. As you are all acting as characters and roles, these are considered your lines and 'staying in character', and do not constitute an actual Pinkie Promise.
  • Renamed roles will always have the role it replaces follow it in parentheses. Example: Head Chef (Mayor Mare).

• It is not recommended to use renamed roles as baselines for changeling detection.
    • In an effort to deter players attempting to use flavor text to determine role, alternative flavor text for players of the same role (at the GM’s discretion) will be given.

• Changelings can request flavor text for any role.
  • Players are entitled to the lynch vote count; this will be updated often and will always be given upon request. The names of ponies who have died will be crossed out in the original post.
  • As bloodless victories are an affront to the Panic, the three deathless day victory condition has been extended to five.

Day Gameplay

• The day will always begin with a flavor text explanation of what happened last night, followed by a concise explanation and the role of the deceased. The role will be truthful insofar as the rules permit, but the other flavor text may be somewhat ambiguous. However, the following list may be helpful.
  • Changeling Queen / ordered changeling

• drained of all magical energy
  • Changeling Assassin

• throat slit with obsidian blade*
  • Crazed drone

• messily drained of all magical energy
  • Mare-do-well

• M-shaped blade to the forehead
  • Mad Mare**

• was slashed to ribbons
  • Arsonist

• was barbecued to a crisp
  • Celestia

• disappeared, as if banished to the moon

*Under the standard rules, a changeling assassin is permitted to choose any of the kill methods they desire; if none is provided, the obsidian blade message will be given by default.
    **Mad Mares cannot expressly imitate others’ killing methods; they are, however, given the most leeway with their own killing methods. Get creative!

• If you are about to be lynched, it is acceptable to PM details—last words, desired method of death, etc.—that can be worked into the death message. This must be sent in before majority hits, though.

• As for the night kills, wills and taunting notes are permitted insofar as they are not game-throwing; but they must be sent in before the night ends.

• Arsonists are not permitted to leave notes because it shows who has been doused; however, they may leave a public ‘manifesto’ nailed to the gallows if they desire.
    • No posts will be edited to adjust for a last hint or parting shot; you must send it in before the morning post is made.
  • The day cycle shall last approximately 24 hours. Day shall be extended for extenuating circumstances, narrow voting margins, or for lively discussion.

Votes

• Each day will have two lynches, and each pony has two votes. You may not use both votes against one pony, one vote is considered 'used' if a pony you vote for is lynched, and when you die, your votes die with you.

• If at the end of the day there is not a majority, the two ponies with the most votes will be lynched. If no ponies have votes against them, nopony will be lynched.
    • If there is a tie, the player that hit that number first will be lynched.
    • If Player X has three votes and Player Y has two votes, and Player Z is lynched and had voted for Player X, his vote dies with him, leaving the total at 2-2. In this case, Player X will still be lynched for hitting ‘majority’ first.
    • In the case of a tie, the lynches will take place in the order the votes are cast in the posts.

• This has happened only once, and both players hit majority; so all that changed was the flavor text.
  • You may, prior to majority being reached, change your vote at any time. To do this, post something to the effect of “Change vote from Player X to Player Y” and strike out your previous vote (but do not delete it or change any other text).
  • A lynch is considered to occur the instant that majority is hit, much like how in many sports the play is dead the instant the whistle blows regardless of what may happen afterwards.

• If majority is reached but then one player rescinds a vote before the flavor text is posted, the lynch will still go into effect.
  • It is always possible to override this process by voting 'no lynch'. This does count as one of your votes.

• If a majority is reached with ‘no lynch’, the night will fall instantly and no lynches will take place.
    • If ‘no lynch’ has more votes than Player A when night falls (that is, if ‘no lynch’ hit ‘majority’ first), ‘no lynch’ overrides and Player A will not be lynched.
    • It is acceptable to vote ‘lynch Player B and no lynch’, and they will be processed in this order. It is advised to use caution, as all it would take is one additional ‘no lynch’ vote to keep Player B secure.
  • There will be no delayed votes, absentee votes, proxy-voting, or anything like this. Put your bits where your mouth is and vote.

• All votes must be cast in the thread for them to count. No PM voting is allowed.

Night

• Night actions are processed in the following order:

• Roleblockers
    • Orphan requests
    • Arsonist fires
    • Bodyguard actions
    • Changeling assassin kills
    • door locks
    • Taxi Driver Switches
    • Changeling kills

• In order: Behemoth, queen, drone
    • Mad Mare kills
    • Town kills
    • Dousings
    • Role checking
    • Other added roles (banishing, etc).

• This means a Royal Guard may end up checking a dead pony. If that’s the case, it would seem that your leads… *puts on sunglasses* have gone cold.
      • This means that a drone or assassin may kill a pony, and then be killed in turn.
      • If an arsonist attempts to douse a pony that has been killed, they will not douse them. There’s no point in putting gas on a dead body.
      • A roleblocker who is killed will block their target first (as their actions are processed first), and then they will be killed (unless, of course, they block their attacker; in which case they clearly would survive).
  • It is acceptable to PM night actions during the day cycle before the night comes.

• Regardless of when the actions are sent, a “Received” message will be sent in reply.
  • The time limit for night actions is twenty four hours from the close of the thread. After this, there is no guarantee that the actions will be taken into effect. The actual cutoff is as soon as I start writing the flavor text.
  • The rules state, “When a player is attacked this cancels out their night action. (EX: If a Royal Guard was going to check someone and gets attacked, he doesn’t get to check his target because he was attacked before he left.)” “Attacked” is defined as “killed” (see also next point). The logic behind this is that a Royal Guard won’t get the role he checks and then die, as it would be very tempting to pass that on to another player despite being dead.

• However, night immune players have no such restriction; if you are night immune, you can be attacked and take your action.
  • The GM guide clarifies that Players are informed when they have been doused by the Arsonist, but this will not interfere with their night action. As an example, this means that if a Royal Guard gets doused, he can check his target and then get doused.
  • If a killing role is attacked (ie, if the assassin is attacked by Mare-do-well), she may still kill another player if it is following the order of operations given above.

• Night-immune roles that are attacked will still complete their night actions.

• example: if an Arsonist is attacked by anything but a changeling assassin, they will douse their target, then be attacked. An assassin kill, of course, cuts through night immunity.
    • For these purposes, being killed but saved by the doctor will count as a kill (because let’s be honest, after being saved you’ll be in no condition to do anything).
  • A player will ‘build up’ immunity to chloroform; a player may only be blocked twice in one game before no longer being affected (double-blocking as mentioned in the Show Mare section below only counts as one).

• Both show mares and seducers use chloroform.
  • If a night phase lasts longer than 36 hours, it is permissible (and encouraged) to post pictures of Nightmare Moon in the thread. Please observe the ‘no nsfw images anywhere’ rule, and please limit your posting to one or two pictures in total per player.
Adda le Blue
Group Admin

Forum Rules:

1. Lighten Up
CP is a fun game that aims to stay fun and non-hostile*. Because of this we discourage conversations that focus on hot-button issues. This isn't a blanket ban, but it is important to know this isn't a debate hall. If you want to chat about these subjects in a constructive, affirming way, then proceed! But these kinds of topics tend to get toxic quickly.
*aside from acceptable hostility like bloodshed, asphyxiation, and arson, but that's beside the point

2. No Bigotry
There will be a zero-tolerance policy in regards to posts containing
• racism
• sexism
• homophobia
• transphobia
• any other form of bigotry
This includes jokes and playing the devil's advocate. If you are found in violation of these rules you will be banned.

3. Don't Be a Dick
This should encompass the first two, but it's a useful rule for itself. If what you are doing is causing a lot of strife, think about your actions. Apologize. Move on.

4. Try to Stay On Topic
While it is acknowledged that our collective ability to stay on topic is about as effective as a screen door on a submarine, please try to avoid excessive tangents in threads that don't pertain to their topics (ex. don't waste 20 posts talking about kittens in the game mode and role suggestions thread).

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2