My Little Reviews & Feedback 506 members · 865 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
TMLP: Rebirth of the Queen
Long ago, the Father of all Monsters gave birth to many creatures. Some monstrous, others wonderous. And now one has been located. Long live the Queen.
The Bricklayer · 47k words  ·  155  8 · 6.2k views

Summary: Long ago, the Father of all Monsters gave birth to many creatures. Some monstrous, others wonderous. Hidden away for hundreds of years by the ponies that proceeded them, these creatures have largely faded into myth in the eyes of most. Twilight Sparkle is far from most, given over the past few years she's seen things that would drive most ponies mad.

Looking at you Discord.

So, when rumors start circulating of an ancient temple in the Guoxia Province, one guarded by an ancient beast she is naturally intrigued...

Long Live the Queen...

Initial thoughts: I must admit I didn't know much about Mothra going into this, and whether that has affected my enjoyment of the piece, I'm not entirely sure. One thing I am sure of though is that Bricklayer knows how to tell a story. There were times were I was struggling to get through the more scifi aspects of this piece, but he managed to hold me through till the end. Mostly, because I wanted more of Mothra, and it was a teasing a cat with a laser pointer. The overall story, can feel a bit "boring" at times, but overall it's well worth the time spent. Solid. 7/10

Creativity: As far as I know taking something and splashing mlp with it is very common. Fallout Equestria being the best example I can think of off hoof. But, that doesn't make this piece bad creativity wise. However, it's certainly not winning any huge awards in this department. There were times certain scenes felt a bit rushed due to wanting to get to the meat of the story. 8/10.

Grammar: I didn't see any real flaws in this department. 10/10.

Overall thoughts: I can't say this is a story I'd go and reread. It's a good story, but ultimately I feel it's just not my cup of tea. I was intrigued by it, and where it would go, but ultimately I feel there are other works by Brick I might enjoy more. But we'll get to those. However, that doesn't make this piece bad. It's solid. Just not for me.

Final score: 8/10
Keep up the good work!

The Bricklayer
Group Contributor

There were times were I was struggling to get through the more scifi aspects of this piece, but he managed to hold me through till the end. Mostly, because I wanted more of Mothra, and it was a teasing a cat with a laser pointer. The overall story, can feel a bit "boring" at times, but overall it's well worth the time spent. Solid. 7/10

Yeah, I was largely taking a Gareth Edwards style approach to this piece, tease the readers and build up to the big moments, the set pieces. Be delightfully restrained, without going into outright frustration. Meaning the moment the titular kaiju appears, everything kicks into overdrive. Basically, sorta like this really.

Creativity: As far as I know taking something and splashing mlp with it is very common. Fallout Equestria being the best example I can think of off hoof. But, that doesn't make this piece bad creativity wise. However, it's certainly not winning any huge awards in this department. There were times certain scenes felt a bit rushed due to wanting to get to the meat of the story. 8/10.

Again, the rushed scenes is a classic Godzilla thing. You want to see the monsters, at times you don't give a damn about the humans below and their troubles. Especially when they're trying to stop Godzilla/Ghidorah/insert kaiju here. If the characters are done well enough, you don't mind as much. But if they're not...

Thank you for the review.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2