My Little Reviews & Feedback 508 members · 868 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
Azure Drache
Group Admin
EAnything but the Spa
Do I have to go to the Spa today? I really don't want to.
SapphireRose87 · 1.6k words  ·  9  4 · 224 views

Summary:
Applejack is invited to the Spa by her friends, but she really doesn't want to go today. What she does to avoid having to go is really testing her suitability for being the element of honesty.

Overall Opinion:

Well, Applejack tries to lie her way out of the situation that she is supposed to have a relaxing day with her friends at the spa. And her inner dialog, telling about her problems with doing so is well displayed in the story as well as her problems to actually tell the lies. She always spoils it because of her facial expressions. 
Also the story tells a good morale about why one should be honest and that is important to say no sometimes.

Not so well written however is the Applejack as a character regarding her role in the show. This is no alternative universe and still Applejack considers lying as a fitting solution for her problems. And not like in the one episode with Granny to help her, but for selfish reasons. It doesn’t really fit her. She does have some inner dialog about not liking it, she does it nonetheless.

Rating:
Storyline: 4/10 It is continuously written and does tell the story, just it is not really thought through to the end and leaves room for improvement.
Entertainment Factor: 4/10 It does serve as a Slice of Life Story by its content, but it lacks the points of interest that make the read entertaining.
Writing Style: 8/10 Wording, phrasing, formatting, all as it should be in my small opinion. Also the first person POV and the use of italics are done well.

16/30

5.33/10

7466307 What if instead of lying, Applejack would tell it like it is. However, since she's the only workaholic in the herd, nopony would understand her reasons or take them seriously. In fact, they'd feel obliged to force her to relax.

The main conflict would be her friends not taking her reasons seriously, even though working would be very important to Applejack.

Do you think the story could work then?

Azure Drache
Group Admin

That is an interesting Idea and I think, yes that could work. Though the focus of the story would shift from an internal conflict of Applejack to a lack of understanding or tolerance from her friends. Yep could make a good Slice of Life story when the story deals with that aspect.

Thanks so much for the review! That wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I chose to write this type of story because it's not normally the type of story I would write. As you can see on my profile, I'm more prone to action-packed, dramatic, and dark stories. So writing this type of story, in general, was pretty challenging. From what I think every writer needs to write stories that challenge themselves from time to time. However, I do think that even if a character is out of character from the show, it's still a story that could happen with Applejack. It's hard to tell when a story should be AU and when it shouldn't. As a matter of fact, I've seen a lot of stories that seem like they should be AU but they're not considered it. A good example would be Pandemic. There is no AU even though the Mane Six especially Twilight isn't in character from what they are in the show. Actually, it's more like the characters from the show are put in different situations. That tends to happen in a lot of fanfics on this site.

Azure Drache
Group Admin

Challenging oneself is good from time to time I agree.

Though, just because many people don't use it correctly doesn't makes it non AU :raritywink: On the other hand, yes, minout changes like you did with Applejack here may not count as Au already, but, this way those characters feel off compared to the show. Normally you need a build up to let them differ from the show. That can be a small detail, or something lifechanging, important is that it gives reason why your version is different from the show. If you just copy an character 1:1 and don't adjust things, people will notice if they act out of cannon. Or they think they notice sometimes.

I see where you're coming from on that. I could've made the story a little bit longer like most of my stories are. I'm not quite sure exactly what I could've added to it or it might've been longer. That might've helped the story along a bit. If I think about writing another story like that in the future I'll keep this review in mind.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6