Epic Adventure, High Fantasy, and Sci-Fi 323 members · 495 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

Lately I've taken an interesting in the Bronze Age. I mean just watch the videos below and sees what fascinating time period it was.

So why aren't there many fantasy stories taking place in this distant age? I mean ones that are as well known as The Chronicles of Narnia or The Lord of the Rings series?

And after looking at some pages on Reddit concerning fantasy and world building, I would like to ask if one would write a High Fantasy story based on the Bronze Age, how would one incorporate fantasy creatures/races into Bronze Age setting and make them fit into that age of Wonder?

So why aren't there many fantasy stories taking place in this distant age?

Because research is harrrrrd, and Medieval Stasis ensures that everyone is familiar and comfortable with all the tropes of Standard Fantasytm.

I mean ones that are as well known as The Chronicles of Narnia or The Lord of the Rings series?

Narnia takes place in between the early 40's and late 50's, with one book (The Sorcerer's Apprentice) going back to the late 19th century. And The Lord of the Rings is literally Early Middle Ages Europe, with its mail hauberks and arming swords and thinly veiled Viking and Finnish lore throughout.

But, I digress. Anything vaguely connected to Conan the Barbarian technically takes place in the 30th millennium BCE, in between the fall of Atlantis and the Rise of the Sons of Aryas. But, that's also not Bronze Age. For Bronze Age, you're literally talking about the Iliad and the Odyssey. But, we normally count that as Mythology and Literature, so...

And after looking at some pages on Reddit concerning fantasy and world building, I would like to ask if one would write a High Fantasy story based on the Bronze Age, how would one incorporate fantasy creatures/races into Bronze Age setting and make them fit into that age of Wonder?

Been planning something like that lately myself, mostly for D&D, but whatevs. The Bronze Age is very humanocentric, with very little literature or myth allowing us the same sort of leeway as Tolkien had when he made his medieval fantasy epic. You kinda have to cheat and steal from the following Iron Age for good, playable mythic races. But, from a starting point:

• Humans - the City Builders
  • Atlanteans - The Fallen Empire (I like mixing Minoan, Cthulhu, and Assassin's Creed First Civilization together)
  • Giants - Because everyone had Giants in Bronze Age myth
  • Demigods - Um... actually, just Player Characters, or an excuse to throw Half-Elves in (D&D 5e's best mechanical race, hands down)
  • Horned Men and Animalfolk - because we weren't that far away from animals, and some fell, degenerate civilizations of snake men and centaur and ape-creatures could be lurking here and there

So, in summation: It's hard, no one wants to do the research to do it right, no one has done enough to make it accessible to others, in the case of RPGs, there's no ruins to loot, and in the case of stories there aren't any ancient evils yet.

Great idea, thanks.

You're welcome. Hope some of that helped.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4