FiM Will Live on FOREVER! 1,285 members · 21,050 stories
Comments ( 129 )
  • Viewing 51 - 100 of 129
A Man Undercover
Group Admin

I believe that it will. It has all the trademarks to make it something memorable and worthwhile to the point of immortality.

But how would I play them? My DVD and Blu Ray players can only play Region 1, DVD's of any other region wouldn't work.

Ah, I see what you mean now.

But there are many people, probably over half the world, who don't know of G4's popularity.

You make it sound as if no one outside of North America has ever heard of this show. I assure you that this show is very popular outside of North America. The Japanese dub is especially good. In the European Spanish dub, the voice actress for Fluttershy apparently missed the memo of Fluttershy being quiet when screaming, so she literally screams at the top of her lungs! :rainbowlaugh:

and Discovery Family after they took over did a poor job of advertising it since they seemed more interested in plugging their own variety shows no one cared about.

Oh, yeah, the advertising for the show after Discovery Family took over was downright god-awful. They aired the same season premiere promo for season five for weeks on end long after the premiere had aired and they ruined the season six finale, which was even pointed out by Race during Bronies React. Is it any wonder why the ratings plummeted like a rock after Discovery Family took over?

Even before there were DVD sets or Netflix recordings you could look up entire episodes online on YouTube. It was that accessibility in the early days that allowed the show to become such a pheomnon.

Exactly!

One thing I will acknowledge was that John de Lancie did a documentary to promote the show's popularity and make it well known, and Lauren Faust and other crew members of FiM took part in it. Except the documentary itself was even more obscure and out of the way to find, not to mention having an excessively long title making it difficult to search for. And plus it spoke of how kind and accepting the fandom as a whole was

Personally speaking, I hated both it and A Brony's Tale. Imagine for a moment if you had never heard of a brony in your life. These two documentaries do a piss-poor job of explaining exactly what a brony is. It doesn't help that they treat telling someone you're a brony as the equivalent of coming out of the closet and they make all bronies out to be on the autism spectrum. It also doesn't help that they had those stupid animated interludes throughout.

where since then it has acquired a very toxic side (I think starting after Season 3), though still one that doesn't encompass the whole fandom.

Again, I can only assume you are talking about people in this group, aka the Lauren Faust fanboys. And, yes, they started hating the show and bitching and moaning about everything having to do with it after season three, do nothing but spread toxicity throughout the fandom, and just make the fandom look bad all-around.

I think it'll be around for a long time before it fades into nothing. But even if it's removed from Netflix and the like, there are still plenty of clips on YouTube, and ponies who like G5 in the future are bound to find the G4 stuff online. Besides, I doubt anypony on this website is going to let it fade away into the ether any time soon.

Continue rewatching it. Have no worries. FiM is here to stay. :pinkiesmile:

I love MLP too much that I don’t want to forget the good it has done for me.

I hope so. It just doesn't seem to have truly reached that point, otherwise it would have been referenced in Ready Player One like so many other shows including Hello Kitty.

You make it sound as if no one outside of North America has ever heard of this show. I assure you that this show is very popular outside of North America.

I mean, any country where it's popular, at least half the people in that country are in the dark, either having not been informed of it or been given any hints to it, or having judged it by its name (or cover) and dismissed it without a second thought, also oblivious to the fact that the first episode of the first generation features a menacing sinister demon who threatens to behead a baby dragon and dies at the end. It's less popular in Canada than in the US, likely due to Hasbro withholding a lot of merchandise from us even though we gave them their voice studio. I found out from Screwball, he found out from Skipsy, no idea where he found out from.

Even before there were DVD sets or Netflix recordings you could look up entire episodes online on YouTube. It was that accessibility in the early days that allowed the show to become such a pheomnon.

Exactly!

That was back when Hasbro wanted them there specifically to draw in more fans, but they have since changed their mind. Though they at least let the clips stay, including compilations of G1 Tirek scenes.

Again, I can only assume you are talking about people in this group, aka the Lauren Faust fanboys. And, yes, they started hating the show and bitching and moaning about everything having to do with it after season three, do nothing but spread toxicity throughout the fandom, and just make the fandom look bad all-around.

From your description, that's them. A lot have also stopped being respectful of differing opinions. Some people on MLP Wiki would give me a hard time for some of my interests, both of which were present in FiM, though they tried to deny the one related to Sombra's defeat the first time. (Some of them may have thought they were fetishes, which they aren't, but even if they were it was still mean) They even went as far as hating on me for talking about redemptions (as I'd mention them enough so they'd think it was a particular interest) and blushing (which I find to be cute if done for SFW reasons, which is all but one or two instances in FiM).

I think it'll be around for a long time before it fades into nothing. But even if it's removed from Netflix and the like, there are still plenty of clips on YouTube

So the clips will always be there if they still are (and hopefully Biden will extinguish the dumpster fire so people can comment on them again), but the full episodes will be gone, if pulled from Netflix, Hulu, and anywhere else that might have them. (I never trust anything to stay anywhere, even on Netflix, that's why I need them preserved) It might at least give me some comfort if Sombra's second death and Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy Glow turning to stone remain there, though without any proof, how will people know those weren't fanmade?

otherwise it would have been referenced in Ready Player One like so many other shows including Hello Kitty.

What? :rainbowhuh: Why on Earth would a movie about video games make a reference to an obscure TV show?

I mean, any country where it's popular, at least half the people in that country are in the dark, either having not been informed of it or been given any hints to it, or having judged it by its name (or cover) and dismissed it without a second thought, also oblivious to the fact that the first episode of the first generation features a menacing sinister demon who threatens to behead a baby dragon and dies at the end.

Which is not true in the slightest.

It's less popular in Canada than in the US, likely due to Hasbro withholding a lot of merchandise from us

Not true.

even though we gave them their voice studio.

Uh, no, we didn't.

I found out from Screwball, he found out from Skipsy, no idea where he found out from.

Sounds to me like you've been fed a load of crap.

That was back when Hasbro wanted them there specifically to draw in more fans, but they have since changed their mind. Though they at least let the clips stay, including compilations of G1 Tirek scenes.

Again, not true. Hasbro didn't change their minds about anything. They have always been very strict regarding the copyright of their properties, including MLP. This is why they only upload clips of the show to their YouTube channel and have been known to give YouTube videos featuring footage of MLP copyright strikes.

(and hopefully Biden will extinguish the dumpster fire so people can comment on them again)

The President has nothing to do with YouTube. He cannot force YouTube to allow comments to be posted on kid-friendly content again. He does not have that kind of power.

but the full episodes will be gone

No, they won't.

if pulled from Netflix, Hulu, and anywhere else that might have them.

That's down to Hasbro's call, not the streaming service's.

It might at least give me some comfort if Sombra's second death and Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy Glow turning to stone remain there, though without any proof, how will people know those weren't fanmade?

What? :rainbowhuh: How in the world would anyone assume that those scenes were fan-made when it's clear that they were from the show itself?

Comment posted by Gundamfan deleted Dec 19th, 2020

Fim isn't going anywhere

What? :rainbowhuh: Why on Earth would a movie about video games make a reference to an obscure TV show?

Well, the setting is kind of a video game, and they go through a lot of old games at the end to find the first easter egg, but there are references to stuff like Hello Kitty, The Iron Giant, Batman, and The Shining. And this proves my point: FiM is more obscure than it deserves to be.

Which is not true in the slightest.

Watch "Rescue at Midnight Castle". I think you'll be surprised. Or better yet, look up "Rescue at Midnight Castle All Tirek Scenes". And know that he does not appear again after he explodes in a flash of light, and his only mention afterwards is to turning a prince into Scorpan prior to the events of the episode. Lavan also definitively dies and Princess Primrose says "Lavan is no more".

Uh, no, we didn't.

They use the Ocean voice studio, which is in Vancouver. (Exception being Tara Strong for some reason, and guest stars like John de Lancie (who also plays Discord's inspiration, Q), Weird Al, William Shatner, etc.) Tabitha St. Germain (Rarity and Luna), Nicole Oliver (Celestia), Cathy Weseluck (Spike), Kathleen Barr (Chrysalis and Trixie), Blu Mankuma (Flutterguy), Alvin Sanders (Fluttershy in S4 and Sombra in S9), Andrew Francis (Shining Armor), Vincent Tong (Garble), Michael Dobson (Bulk Biceps and Caballeron), Paul Dobson (Commander Ironhead), Brian Dobson (Sky Beak), Scott McNeil (Flam, Rover, Chief Thunderhooves), Sam Vincent (Flim), Richard Newman (Cranky), all Ocean. Probably Mark Acheson too, though he lives in Edmonton. I know because they're my favorite voice studio, and not even because they're Canadian, the voices they do are awesome, especially Scott McNeil.

Sounds to me like you've been fed a load of crap.

In other words, FiM isn't popular? (That's what I found out about from them)

Again, not true. Hasbro didn't change their minds about anything. They have always been very strict regarding the copyright of their properties, including MLP. This is why they only upload clips of the show to their YouTube channel and have been known to give YouTube videos featuring footage of MLP copyright strikes.

I know what I heard. They used to want them there to promote its popularity (back in the day wikipedia says they haven't taken a stance against it) and they even let G1 episodes stay until they released it on DVD.

The President has nothing to do with YouTube. He cannot force YouTube to allow comments to be posted on kid-friendly content again. He does not have that kind of power.

In other words, presidents are powerless. And if Trump didn't do this, there's more powers out there whose sole purpose in life is to make people miserable due to the misinterpretation of words as thinking enjoying anything is a sin. (If their intent was REALLY to protect kids they would just make them stop creepily gathering data, they just use that as a pretext to make themselves sound good, plus the powers that be have repeatedly shown they don't care for kids in the slightest) This world is a prison.

No, they won't.

Original DBZ can't be found anywhere, even where original Sailor Moon and Cardcaptors can.

That's down to Hasbro's call, not the streaming service's.

A.k.a. its fate is in the hands of a company that no longer cares for it or its fans, which is what I've been saying. And if Hasbro's as strict as you say they won't let it be anywhere else.

What? :rainbowhuh: How in the world would anyone assume that those scenes were fan-made when it's clear that they were from the show itself?

FiM is made with flash animation, the same animation used in fan videos, so fan videos are easy to make show-accurate. Like the one of Celestia and Luna fighting Sombra, or Fluffle Puff videos. And anyone who's seen the episodes will know they are not fanmade, but what about newcomers who have never seen Seasons 8 and 9, or won't if they're hard to find by then?

Just when I was starting to be reassured now I'm feeling even worse than ever.

Well, the setting is kind of a video game, and they go through a lot of old games at the end to find the first easter egg, but there are references to stuff like Hello Kitty, The Iron Giant, Batman, and The Shining. And this proves my point: FiM is more obscure than it deserves to be.

Still makes no sense whatsoever why they would reference an obscure TV show, especially when said TV show has nothing to do with science-fiction.

Watch "Rescue at Midnight Castle". I think you'll be surprised. Or better yet, look up "Rescue at Midnight Castle All Tirek Scenes". And know that he does not appear again after that light, and his only mention afterwards is to turning a prince into Scorpan prior to the events of the episode. Lavan also definitively dies and Princess Primrose says "Lavan is no more".

I have seen "Rescue at Midnight Castle." I was saying that your assertion that G4 isn't popular in other countries besides the US was not true.

They use the Ocean voice studio, which is in Vancouver. (Exception being Tara Strong for some reason, and guest stars like John de Lancie (who also plays Discord's inspiration, Q), Weird Al, William Shatner, etc.) Tabitha St. Germain (Rarity and Luna), Nicole Oliver (Celestia), Cathy Weseluck (Spike), Kathleen Barr (Chrysalis and Trixie), Blu Mankuma (Flutterguy), Alvin Sanders (Fluttershy in S4 and Sombra in S9), Andrew Francis (Shining Armor), Vincent Tong (Garble), Michael Dobson (Bulk Biceps and Caballeron), Paul Dobson (Commander Ironhead), Brian Dobson (Sky Beak), Scott McNeil (Flam, Rover, Chief Thunderhooves), Sam Vincent (Flim), Richard Newman (Cranky), all Ocean. Probably Mark Acheson too, though he lives in Edmonton. I know because they're my favorite voice studio, and not even because they're Canadian, the voices they do are awesome, especially Scott McNeil.

So what? That doesn't mean we had anything to do with that.

In other words, FiM isn't popular? (That's what I found out about from them)

And again, they clearly don't know what they're talking about, as G4 is insanely popular.

They used to want them there to promote its popularity (back in the day wikipedia says they haven't taken a stance against it) and they even let G1 episodes stay until they released it on DVD.

No, they didn't. Hasbro has a very strict copyright policy. Anyone caught uploading full episodes of the show onto YouTube would get a copyright strike from Hasbro.

In other words, presidents are powerless.

Exactly. The truth is that the President is not very powerful at all. The most a President can do is veto bills and that's it. Congress has all the power.

And if Trump didn't do this, there's more powers out there whose sole purpose in life is to make people miserable due to the misinterpretation of words as thinking enjoying anything is a sin.

No one has said anything like that.

A.k.a. its fate is in the hands of a company that no longer cares for it or its fans, which is what I've been saying.

Except you have not provided any evidence whatsoever to support this claim. If Hasbro didn't care about the show or its fans, they wouldn't have let the show go on for six additional seasons after it was supposed to end, nor would they have bothered letting the crew and staff of the show go to conventions, let alone let conventions dedicated to the show be a thing. They could have easily pulled the plug on not only the show but fan conventions themselves, but they didn't, because they knew how much people loved the show.

And anyone who's seen the episodes will know they are not fanmade, but what about newcomers who have never seen Seasons 8 and 9, or won't if they're hard to find by then?

They're not hard to come by on the Internet.

Still makes no sense whatsoever why they would reference an obscure TV show, especially when said TV show has nothing to do with science-fiction.

This is exactly my point - if it wasn't obscure it would have been referenced.

I have seen "Rescue at Midnight Castle." I was saying that your assertion that G4 isn't popular in other countries besides the US was not true.

Ah. But still, whatever other countries it's popular in, it's much less popular in Canada.

And again, they clearly don't know what they're talking about, as G4 is insanely popular.

What? So... when Screwball told me, and Skipsy told him, that G4 was popular, they didn't know what they were talking about, because it is? If it is insanely popular, doesn't that mean they were right? Are you saying it is or isn't?

No one has said anything like that.

There are people who believe that, and I traced it back to a misinterpretation of words that definitely did not have that meaning behind it. This is why people put stuff in place that are not beneficial to the people and only serve to make our lives more miserable than they already were without their help (like the dumpster fire). This is why true happiness is unattainable for humans. For every positive change that is ever made, a negative change is also made preventing the world from being perfect. People are even starting to relapse into racism (because George Floyd) and sexism (like the reception to Captain Marvel being a MCU movie with a female lead).

Except you have not provided any evidence whatsoever to support this claim. If Hasbro didn't care about the show or its fans, they wouldn't have let the show go on for six additional seasons after it was supposed to end, nor would they have bothered letting the crew and staff of the show go to conventions, let alone let conventions dedicated to the show be a thing. They could have easily pulled the plug on not only the show but fan conventions themselves, but they didn't, because they knew how much people loved the show.

Yet they're more than willing to let it fade into obscurity and one day be gone forever. They don't even intend to profit off the last two seasons. I'm not sure why they let it go on for the last two seasons but still. Although one could argue with how unpopular they are that they hired new writers specifically to butcher them. Some have gone as far as to say they forced MA Larson to write Fame and Misfortune in a way implying they're telling the fans "Buck off, you're not welcome", when this clearly wasn't MA Larson's intent (he wanted it to be a more lighthearted jab and more making fun of the rabid fans) but was the impression many fans got from it. They did once care for the fans, but they don't seem to anymore. Though you do make a good point about the conventions.

They're not hard to come by on the Internet.

Let's hope it stays that way. Though again, I don't trust anything to stay anywhere.

This is exactly my point - if it wasn't obscure it would have been referenced.

No, it wouldn't have. Again, what does MLP have to do with science-fiction?

What? So... when Screwball told me, and Skipsy told him, that G4 was popular, they didn't know what they were talking about, because it is? If it is insanely popular, doesn't that mean they were right? Are you saying it is or isn't?

You said according to them it wasn't popular.

Yet they're more than willing to let it fade into obscurity and one day be gone forever.

Except that is complete bullshit with no proof for it being true whatsoever. They have always rebooted MLP after a decade or so. Again, the previous generations are fondly remembered to this day by those who grew up with them.

They don't even intend to profit off the last two seasons.

How is that a bad thing? They let the show have a satisfying ending and didn't feel the need to profit off of that. How would they even begin to profit off of a season of a TV show? Why would they even want to profit off two seasons of a show that a lot of people didn't like?

I'm not sure why they let it go on for the last two seasons but still.

Probably because they wanted to give the show a satisfying ending.

Although one could argue with how unpopular they are that they hired new writers specifically to butcher them.

Again, this isn't true, as a lot of people really enjoyed seasons 6-9.

Some have gone as far as to say they forced MA Larson to write Fame and Misfortune in a way implying they're telling the fans "Buck off, you're not welcome", when this clearly wasn't MA Larson's intent (he wanted it to be a more lighthearted jab and more making fun of the rabid fans) but was the impression many fans got from it.

And that's exactly why so many people loved that episode, myself included, because it was specifically making fun of the rabid fans. Anyone who found it offensive is exactly the type of person the episode was making fun of.

They did once care for the fans, but they don't seem to anymore.

Yes, it's called moving on. And if they didn't care about the fans, which is bullshit, why would they be allowing the comics to continue, not to mention the chapter books and the manga?

No, it wouldn't have. Again, what does MLP have to do with science-fiction?

What does Hello Kitty have to do with science-fiction? Yet she's still there. And Chucky was in it, and he became a killer doll through magic.

You said according to them it wasn't popular.

I never said that. I said I only found out about its popularity and appeal from them, and it might have gone over my head otherwise (aside from seeing a calendar and thinking the ponies were cute). MAYBE down the road I might've eventually found out about King Sombra (whose first episode was a year after I got into it), but that's a bit of a longshot and only because of one of my unusual interests that no one else shares. (Side note, I do acknowledge that Hasbro must have had the fans in mind by allowing them to have the epicness of Season 9 premier and final and kill Sombra again not to mention the Storm King and the Mean 6)

Except that is complete bullshit with no proof for it being true whatsoever. They have always rebooted MLP after a decade or so. Again, the previous generations are fondly remembered to this day by those who grew up with them.

MLP as a franchise, but what of FiM? Will it be entirely cast aside and forgotten once G5 is out, like the Tim Burton Batman series once the Dark Knight trilogy was out? (Tim Burton Batman has a fanbase of one, everyone else who liked them felt alienated by the one bad film in the series, Batman & Robin. But at least they've continued to get full DVD release sets) G1 was MOSTLY forgotten after G2's release, though if Lauren Faust hadn't remembered it, G4 wouldn't be what it is.

How is that a bad thing? They let the show have a satisfying ending and didn't feel the need to profit off of that. How would they even begin to profit off of a season of a TV show? Why would they even want to profit off two seasons of a show that a lot of people didn't like?

Because they won't be preserved on DVD and we have to rely on them being on sites where we can't trust them to stay. And as satisfying as I found the ending (at least regarding the villains), I thought you hated it.

I'm sorry, but I think you're overestimating FIM. Yeah, it was pretty good overall, changed a lot of people's lives. It isn't the first show to do that and it won't be the last. It won't be forgotten as long as there are still those that care about it, and that's all the legacy it needs outside it's influence on future MLP and similar cartoons. Really, I think you worry too much about eternity...

For me personally, there is no reason whatsoever to watch the show considering the fact that they just have Twilight move back to Canterlot in the end, making everything that happened in the show completely and utterly pointless.

Just focusing on this... I really don't get it. Sure, I can understand dissatisfaction with how Twilight ended up - I have some myself - but you make it sound like she reset to her start-of-show state or something. How on Earth is anything made pointless by that ending?

But it has a special place in my heart, and as depressed as I am today, it's nothing to how depressed I was before it came along, and I always get sad seeing other shows that aren't as good (like Frozen) getting recognition where it doesn't. And forever is... forever.

Yeah, forever is forever, but how many things last forever? There can be beauty in the moment, too. If the show made your life better, then it's legacy will at least last as long as you do.

Maybe. You might be giving me some confidence.

(Side note, I do acknowledge that Hasbro must have had the fans in mind by allowing them to have the epicness of Season 9 premier and final and kill Sombra again not to mention the Storm King and the Mean 6)

Unfortunately, the premiere, much like the show as a whole, was rendered pointless thanks to the finale. And I personally hated the movie and "The Mean Six."

Will it be entirely cast aside and forgotten once G5 is out

Yes, because Hasbro remembered the previous generations and had them Incorporated into G4.

G1 was MOSTLY forgotten after G2's release

No, it wasn't.

though if Lauren Faust hadn't remembered it, G4 wouldn't be what it is.

Again, this is not true. You seem to be forgetting that Hasbro was her boss. She may have been showrunner, but she had to get everything approved by Hasbro. I'm certain that Hasbro had much more to do with what G4 became than Lauren Faust did.

Because they won't be preserved on DVD

Except that this is a false statement, as seasons 1-7, as well as various episode compilations, have been released on DVD.

and we have to rely on them being on sites where we can't trust them to stay.

No, we don't.

And as satisfying as I found the ending (at least regarding the villains), I thought you hated it.

Yes, I did, but I can see why others loved it.

How on Earth is anything made pointless by that ending?

Because you could go from "Magical Mystery Cure" and just skip to "The Last Problem" and you wouldn:t be missing much at all. What was the point of her getting a castle and her establishing a school if both were going to be rendered completely pointless by the end of the show? They could just as easily have set this in Canterlot and have her friends from Canterlot be her friends and have the events of the show play out in exactly the same way and it wouldn't have changed anything at all.

The school lives on under Starlight's stewardship, at least. And you don't think she's grown at all in the past 6 seasons? Well, even if that was true (and it isn't) it's not liek the show is only about her anyway...

They could just as easily have set this in Canterlot and have her friends from Canterlot be her friends and have the events of the show play out in exactly the same way and it wouldn't have changed anything at all.

Maybe they could have, but they didn't. Going to Ponyville made Twilight who she is.

And you don't think she's grown at all in the past 6 seasons?

No, she definitely did, even if it took forever.

Well, even if that was true (and it isn't) it's not liek the show is only about her anyway.

No, but her haters certainly seem to think it was.

Well, it tended to get that way in the premieres/finales (when it wasn't about Starlight). But there were plenty of eps she wasn't even in.

Do I like where she ended up, or how she got there? Not especially. But it's certainly the climax of a journey of growth - her time in
Ponyville matters deeply, even if maybe she could have learned the same lessons in Canterlot - she didn't.

No, it wasn't.

Hence "almost". There were those that remembered it, but if it was remembered well enough, the idea of an appealing MLP series wouldn't sound so preposterous to so many people in the first few years, and even where FiM was acknowledged as such it was often treated as the first.

Again, this is not true. You seem to be forgetting that Hasbro was her boss. She may have been showrunner, but she had to get everything approved by Hasbro. I'm certain that Hasbro had much more to do with what G4 became than Lauren Faust did.

Yes she did, and as a matter of fact she intended it to be more epic from the start, more along the lines of something like Sailor Moon, but Hasbro wouldn't go for it, and possibly wouldn't even settle for more than a corrupted Luna as the villain (though both Lauren Faust and Jim Miller imply Nightmare Moon is a separate entity manifested from Luna's bitterness). They did allow things to get more intense later, as I said they did respect the fandom for Seasons 2-5 and allowed many forms of fanservice (both clean and as suggestive as they could get without being too family-unfriendly) even as early as Season 1. Point is, whatever Hasbro did and didn't let Lauren Faust do, Lauren Faust having seen and remembered G4 is likely why she tried to restore the MLP name to something good. It was all Lauren Faust and DHX, Hasbro just approved what awesomeness they put in.

Except that this is a false statement, as seasons 1-7, as well as various episode compilations, have been released on DVD.

I was referring to Seasons 8 and 9. Plus, Seasons 1-7 may go out of print soon, as they cost much more on Amazon today than what I originally ordered them for.

No, we don't.

Explain. Anywhere Seasons 8 and 9 might be - be it Netflix, Hulu, or anywhere else - it will probably be removed one day. And Seasons 8 and 9 are not on DVD. And the show is no longer airing on TV (since Pony Life has begun, then G5 will take its place) and will likely never do so again. So if not on TV or not on DVD or not on any sites that Hasbro could have them removed from with a single word when they feel like erasing them - whether or not they put them there - then how?

I mean, if you were thoughtful enough to record them during their run, and have a way of backing them up before the next cable upgrade, great, but for newcomers or those who never thought to do that...

Look, maybe some day there will be no-one left who remembers FIM. No record it ever existed. No legacy left behind. But I'm pretty sure that means the Earth has been destroyed, so nobody will care?

I hope that's the earliest such a thing happens.

Well, one thing I must remember is that Hasbro has currently let Seasons 8 and 9 stay watchable (though Season 9, while still on Hulu, was excluded from Netflix for reasons unknown), so we're not at the "difficult for newcomers to get into it, etc." phase yet, and Hasbro at least doesn't actively seem to be trying to kill it... yet. If anything changes then the concerns will be raised again.

Maybe. But for now, why not just enjoy it without worrying about the future?

I just checked seasons 1-7. Practically all of them are around 20 dollars.

7396712 Personally, I certainly did.

There were those that remembered it, but if it was remembered well enough, the idea of an appealing MLP series wouldn't sound so preposterous to so many people in the first few years, and even where FiM was acknowledged as such it was often treated as the first.

You seem to be forgetting that this was back in the '80s, when shows for boys and girls were heavily segregated. Boys wouldn't be caught dead watching something "girly" like My Little Pony, because it was a common belief that shows for girls couldn't be good. That changed in the '90s and 2000s, when cartoons started being treated as a medium for everyone rather than just boys or girls. Thanks to shows like My Life as a Teenage Robot and Kim Possible, shows for girls started being seen as having potential to be good. This is why so many people were blown out of the water with how good Friendship is Magic was when it first arrived on the scene.

Yes she did, and as a matter of fact she intended it to be more epic from the start, more along the lines of something like Sailor Moon, but Hasbro wouldn't go for it

Wrong! The staff of the show were given free reign to pretty much do whatever they wanted. They had complete creative control and freedom with the show. Yes, Lauren Faust wanted the show to be more adventure-oriented, but she found that writing these kinds of stories was hard and that writing slice of life stories was far easier and much less time-consuming, hence why there are so few adventure-based stories in the first two seasons. Hasbro had nothing to do with that decision; it was all Lauren's.

as I said they did respect the fandom for Seasons 2-5 and allowed many forms of fanservice (both clean and as suggestive as they could get without being too family-unfriendly) even as early as Season 1.

No, they didn't. Seasons one and two were still written with the audience of girls in mind. They had sparse nods to the fandom hidden here and there, such as Derpy's multiple appearances in season two, including her infamous one in "The Last Round-up", but they didn't start pandering to the bronies until seasons 3 and onward.

Point is, whatever Hasbro did and didn't let Lauren Faust do, Lauren Faust having seen and remembered G4 is likely why she tried to restore the MLP name to something good.

Again. this is a false statement, as it assumes that MLP was never good until G4 came along, which just isn't true. G1 and G2 are considered good. Even G3 gave us some characters that made it into G4. The only time MLP was ever considered "bad" to the point of being unwatchable was G3.5, otherwise known as "Newborn Cuties."

I was referring to Seasons 8 and 9.

Again, these seasons have been released on DVD overseas.

Explain.

We have multiple ways of watching the show: YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, iTunes, Vimeo, Daily Motion, etc. I find it very hard to believe that Hasbro would be capable of completely eradicating this show from the Internet.

And Seasons 8 and 9 are not on DVD.

Yes, they are.

So if not on TV or not on DVD or not on any sites that Hasbro could have them removed from with a single word when they feel like erasing them - whether or not they put them there - then how?

I mean, if you were thoughtful enough to record them during their run, and have a way of backing them up before the next cable upgrade, great, but for newcomers or those who never thought to do that...

It's called preserving shows for future generations. People do this all the time. Old shows get released on DVD and online all the time. I mean, you can literally find old cartoons from the 1920s and 1930s and onward online right now. Hell, I just saw a box set of the complete series of Little House on the Prairie on DVD in Walmart literally a couple of weeks ago. It's very likely that Hasbro will release a full complete series box set for G4 in the near future, just as they have done for the past three generations of MLP.

Certainly did what?

Not too bad then. (I thought I remembered seeing them raised to 30, must have been a dream)

You seem to be forgetting that this was back in the '80s, when shows for boys and girls were heavily segregated. Boys wouldn't be caught dead watching something "girly" like My Little Pony, because it was a common belief that shows for girls couldn't be good.

True, ten years later there was the Sailor Moon debate simply for it having a set of female protagonists. But if half these people saw all the Tirek scenes there likely wouldn't have even been a Sailor Moon debate. (A lot of people also seemed oblivious to Sailor Moon having twice the kill count of James Bond, and if people were sticking to gender stereotypes back then both would definitely go against them)

Wrong! The staff of the show were given free reign to pretty much do whatever they wanted. They had complete creative control and freedom with the show. Yes, Lauren Faust wanted the show to be more adventure-oriented, but she found that writing these kinds of stories was hard and that writing slice of life stories was far easier and much less time-consuming, hence why there are so few adventure-based stories in the first two seasons. Hasbro had nothing to do with that decision; it was all Lauren's.

That's not what I heard, but OK.

No, they didn't. Seasons one and two were still written with the audience of girls in mind. They had sparse nods to the fandom hidden here and there, such as Derpy's multiple appearances in season two, including her infamous one in "The Last Round-up", but they didn't start pandering to the bronies until seasons 3 and onward.

Have you forgotten a certain scene in Party of One I get weirded out by (even compared to other references to that area of the ponies, most of which were at least of the "comedy" type of reference) but you probably enjoyed? (Hint: Pinkamena and Rainbow Dash) How is that not intended for male viewers? (And I remember Lauren Faust lamenting anyone thinking anyone would think any show has to be for a specific gender as it means men and women still aren't equal, even after the Sailor Moon debate was long settled) And they also had definite references to Lord of the Rings. The bigger debate was for age, and perhaps Season 1 intended most of the appeal as a parental bonus to avoid being something like Caillou or Dora, but Season 2 definitely marked the point where they actively began trying to please the fans Season 1 was good enough to create. (If nothing else, A Canterlot Wedding, even though they didn't go the distance with Chrysalis like with Sombra but I think she was originally intended to fall to her death (given Season 3 was meant to be final season), but once Meghan left, Season 6 writers brought her back)

Again. this is a false statement, as it assumes that MLP was never good until G4 came along, which just isn't true. G1 and G2 are considered good. Even G3 gave us some characters that made it into G4. The only time MLP was ever considered "bad" to the point of being unwatchable was G3.5, otherwise known as "Newborn Cuties."

Sorry, I meant to say "remembered G1". G1 was definitely good, and many felt G2 and G3 ruined the name and made it more stereotypical of what was expected of a show based on that line of toys. Though, I wasn't aware that G2 was any good. I have heard G3 has a bit of a fanbase though and that they set it apart from "G3.5". If we're comparing to Batman, it could be G3 was the two Tim Burton films and Batman Forever, and G3.5 was Batman & Robin?

Again, these seasons have been released on DVD overseas.

But can't be watched on American or Canadian DVD players.

We have multiple ways of watching the show: YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, iTunes, Vimeo, Daily Motion, etc. I find it very hard to believe that Hasbro would be capable of completely eradicating this show from the Internet.

All of those are sites that Hasbro could have it removed from with a single word. That's what I meant by "relying on sites where nothing can be trusted to stay". And we've already established they've already had them removed from youtube, and I think Dailymotion too (but they have a youtube channel they put Equestria Girls stuff on, so if they wanted to they could put it there themselves, but probably won't). If Hasbro actively keeps them on Hulu and Netflix at least they'll remain watchable as they currently are, but if they either consciously decide to remove it or neglect to renew it... that's what happened to Jackie Chan Adventures and Winx Club.

It's called preserving shows for future generations. People do this all the time. Old shows get released on DVD and online all the time. I mean, you can literally find old cartoons from the 1920s and 1930s and onward online right now. Hell, I just saw a box set of the complete series of Little House on the Prairie on DVD in Walmart literally a couple of weeks ago. It's very likely that Hasbro will release a full complete series box set for G4 in the near future, just as they have done for the past three generations of MLP.

I hope you're right about this, and if you know what you're talking about here this does give me a glimmer of hope. They did release G1 DVD like 30 years later, but only after rebooting its first villain for G4. (Wait, they're not going to wait until G7 in 2050 for it, are they? Even if humanity is still thriving, all of us will likely be dead by then, but if they keep the generations appealing, the next generation could try it out and revive its popularity. Like Varys from Game of Thrones, our dream would be realized after we're gone, and it could be our legacy.)

I will and when I have kids I'll show my favorite show to them

7396792 I like where she ended up and how she got there.

Have you forgotten a certain scene in Party of One I get weirded out by (even compared to other references to that area of the ponies, most of which were at least of the "comedy" type of reference) but you probably enjoyed? (Hint: Pinkamena and Rainbow Dash) How is that not intended for male viewers?

And they also had definite references to Lord of the Rings.

Speaking personally, I absolutely hated "Party of One." What reference are you talking about specifically? And it's not like this is the first kids' show to have references to media that's intended for older viewers. Even preschool shows like Arthur have been known to do that, consatntly in fact.

The bigger debate was for age, and perhaps Season 1 intended most of the appeal as a parental bonus to avoid being something like Caillou or Dora

This is understandable, given that the show is, for some reason, rated TV-Y. Therefore, it would be considered a show for preschoolers, but what sets this show and others like Arthur apart from shows like Caillou or Dora is that the writing of this show and Arthur vastly surpasses both of them by a country mile.

but Season 2 definitely marked the point where they actively began trying to please the fans Season 1 was good enough to create. (If nothing else, A Canterlot Wedding, even though they didn't go the distance with Chrysalis like with Sombra but I think she was originally intended to fall to her death (given Season 3 was meant to be final season), but once Meghan left, Season 6 writers brought her back)

If there are any shortcomings with this show, it's definitely the villains, whom all suck.

But can't be watched on American or Canadian DVD players.

Yes, they can. They will play on an American DVD player.

All of those are sites that Hasbro could have it removed from with a single word. That's what I meant by "relying on sites where nothing can be trusted to stay". And we've already established they've already had them removed from youtube, and I think Dailymotion too (but they have a youtube channel they put Equestria Girls stuff on, so if they wanted to they could put it there themselves, but probably won't). If Hasbro actively keeps them on Hulu and Netflix at least they'll remain watchable as they currently are, but if they either consciously decide to remove it or neglect to renew it... that's what happened to Jackie Chan Adventures and Winx Club.

Okay, but we would still be able to watch them on DVD.

7396940 Same. :twilightsmile:

Speaking personally, I absolutely hated "Party of One." What reference are you talking about specifically?

Pinkie sitting on Rainbow's head. I imagine a lot of people in that side of the fandom fantasize about being in Rainbow's position and it was one of the scenes that was played more suggestive than "comical" or casual. Another was Rarity getting slapped there in A Dog and Pony Show, but that at least can be chalked up to a horse reference because Twilight neighed in the same episode (though perhaps this was specifically SO the Rarity scene could be passed off as a horse reference). Both were in Season 1 before they even knew the fandom would BE there.

This is understandable, given that the show is, for some reason, rated TV-Y. Therefore, it would be considered a show for preschoolers, but what sets this show and others like Arthur apart from shows like Caillou or Dora is that the writing of this show and Arthur vastly surpasses both of them by a country mile.

I hear they raised it to Y7 at some point. As for the writing vastly surpassing shows like Caillou or Dora by a country mile... most definitely.

Yes, they can. They will play on an American DVD player.

So they are Region 1? This changes things...

Edit: They're not showing up on Amazon. Understandable as amazon.ca would mainly have stuff from Canadian locations, and amazon.com from American locations. Which site can I order them on?

Pinkie sitting on Rainbow's head. I imagine a lot of people in that side of the fandom fantasize about being in Rainbow's position and it was one of the scenes that was played more suggestive than "comical" or casual. Another was Rarity getting slapped there in A Dog and Pony Show, but that at least can be chalked up to a horse reference because Twilight neighed in the same episode (though perhaps this was specifically SO the Rarity scene could be passed off as a horse reference). Both were in Season 1 before they even knew the fandom would BE there.

How were either one of those intended for male viewers? The only way either of those could be intended for male viewers is if they knew that the Internet would pervert this show. In the former, Pinkie was trying to prevent Rainbow from moving her forward. In the latter, Rover literally slaps Rarity on the ass in order to her to start moving, which is a perfectly normal thing to do. If anything, the fact that she got offended that he called her a mule rather than the fact that he essentially sexually assaulted her is disturbing.

So they are Region 1? This changes things...

No, they are from Malaysia.

Edit: They're not showing up on Amazon. Understandable as amazon.ca would mainly have stuff from Canadian locations, and amazon.com from American locations. Which site can I order them on?

Here and here.

How were either one of those intended for male viewers?

I thought you were into that sort of thing based on stories and our discussions, obviously I was mistaken or else the scene wouldn't have gone over your head. Most references to that area of the ponies are at least played either casual or "comical" (though in other shows this is usually only seen with male characters), and while this wasn't Pinkie's intention (as you said she was trying to stop Rainbow moving her forward, plus the ponies don't seem to feel anything for that, as evidenced by the Rarity thing), in our world what she did would certainly be seen as suggestive.

Also they love tying the ponies up, again, as early as Season 1, and Stranger Than Fan Fiction confirms the intention behind it. At least this can be seen as SFW to anyone not particularly into bondage, except in that episode.

No, they are from Malaysia.

If they're not Region 1 DVD's they won't play on American/Canadian DVD players. (I looked it up, Malaysia uses Region 3, so that's that)

But it also makes the whole show pointless to you? :rainbowhuh:

If they're not Region 1 DVD's they won't play on American/Canadian DVD players. (I looked it up, Malaysia uses Region 3, so that's that)

People who own these DVDs have in fact confirmed that they will play on American DVD players.

7397434 Yes, because you could stop watching the show after either "Magical Mystery Cure" or "Twilight's Kingdom" (mind you, I hated both of these epsiodes) or skip to "The Last Problem" after "Magical Mystery Cure" and you wouldn't be missing out on much of anything at all.

Except a load of great episodes. You also might find a lot of the final song confusing - what's that strange building the CMC work at? What's Trixie doing there? What are all these strange creatures?

Yeah. I despise the newer episode s of Family guy but still enjoy older seasons.

7397570 You could honestly just maybe have the last song on its own and not even have a time skip at all without all of the imagery, nor this new student. Why not make the two-parter a three-parter with the final segment after a commercial break be this epilogue segment with the coronation and subsequent song?

what's that strange building the CMC work at?

Which makes them getting their cutie marks completely pointless, especially in light of episodes such as "Bloom & Bloom" which showcases what their special talents were and showed them possibly as adults with jobs that catered to those talents. But in the final episode, the writers said, "Nope. Let's just drop all of that to have them work as teachers at a school." See, this is a prime example of why you never hire writers of live-action TV shows to write your animated series.

What's Trixie doing there?

I honestly would've preferred had she stayed gone after "Magic Duel" considering how obnoxious, annoying, and insufferable she became after she was brought back in season six.

I mean, you could. But is there any reason why you'd want to not have most of the show?

I will point out that, as headbanging as it was, there appears to be some magical property of that school where holding down a teaching position there does not meaningfully impact one's capability for other employment.

And what does live-action writers being involved have to do with it?

I will point out that, as headbanging as it was, there appears to be some magical property of that school where holding down a teaching position there does not meaningfully impact one's capability for other employment.

Which doesn't make sense to me since teaching is a full-time job.

And what does live-action writers being involved have to do with it?

People who only have a background writing for live-action shows and have no experience working on an animated TV show have no business being hired to write for your animated TV show.

Doesn't make sense to me either, but it's canon.

And I don't see how being live-action makes a difference....

Seasons 8 and 9 didn't get a DVD release

Not in the US, no, but they did get DVD releases overseas. You can find and purchase these DVDs online.

I saw ones in Malaysia on eBay but it says something about Chinese subtitles....are there any out there with no subtitles?

7399017 There are also subtitles that are in English, so subtitles are most likely optional.

There will be a new MLP, this one caused me to watch some of the first generation. Ancient movies are still famous today so it can never forgotten.

I will never forget the vast impact that MLP:FIM has had on me, on my life, on my thinking, on my art, on every aspect of my creativity. It made a life-changing impact.

I am sixty-one this year. Whe I was eleven years old, long ago, I read an introduction to a collection of short stories edited by Issac Asimov. The collection was called 'Tomorrow's children'. In it, Asimov speaks of keeping childlike wonder alive, in seeing oceans in a drop of water, or entire worlds in a single leaf.

I made a vow, to the universe, on a day in autumn after reading that introduction. I vowed I would always keep my childlike sense of wonder, forever. I swore that on my very soul.

I am a sixty-one year old who has written over a million and a half words of pony fiction here on this website. I play video games every day. I love my virtual reality headset. I got Mandalorian toys for my recent birthday.

Yes, MLP:FIM will be remembered, by many people. Just like I remember making that vow when I was eleven. Things that make an impact in your life, that change your life, last forever.

Just like my vow.

I think it will be remembered, it was a phenomenon. Much like Star Wars or Star Trek, it's popularity will wax and wane, but it will endure as long as the fans keep coming back to it :)
After all, we even had a full documentary about us Brony's!

It's a Gundam!
personally I have all the series downloaded off Amazon Prime in uber high deff. I keep coming back to them, even make a little personal watch event of the Nightmare Night, Hearts and hooves and Hearthswarming :)

Your a Gundam fan too?

• Viewing 51 - 100 of 129