FiM Will Live on FOREVER! 1,285 members · 21,050 stories
Comments ( 129 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 129

Let's say for a second that the human race doesn't go extinct in the next year, or two, or five, or ten, or even fifty.

Will MLP: FiM be remembered five years from now, or ten years from now, etc.?

Seasons 8 and 9 didn't get a DVD release, they're still watchable now but for how long? What happens when Seasons 1-7 go out of print and are removed from anywhere that has them like Netflix, Hulu, etc.?

Hasbro is no longer trying to promote its popularity. They used to at least make an effort to draw fans in, but ever since some of the more ungrateful and rabid fans started harrassing them for stuff they didn't like, they cut off all outside communication so we can't even contact them to tell them they only saw the bad side and that there is a good side of the fandom too that makes FiM worth promoting and remembering.

Furthermore the FiM merchandise has been kept to a minimum during its run and now it's extremely rare you see any in stores. Furthermore it hasn't been getting the same recognition as all the popular shows - not even Spongebob or Hello Kitty. Hasbro has NO IDEA how much money they've been throwing away, the fortune they missed by not coming out with more merchandise and promoting FiM's popularity. People call them "Ha$bro" and stuff like that, but considering what they've neglected to do, no one has any right calling them greedy.

And a lot of fans don't feel like rewatching episodes they've seen, as if nothing ever has rewatch value. And for those that do, what if the day comes when we can't?

Even though I have Seasons 1-7 and recordings of 8-9 (at least until my house is destroyed by an unforeseen disaster), it'd still be difficult rewatching it knowing it'll fade into obscurity one day, even if it remains watchable forever, and I've put my rewatch on hold for now.

Is there any hope that it will be remembered and get the recognition that it deserves SO MUCH MORE than Frozen? Is there any chance G5 will draw in fans who will trace it back to G4? Or will it forever be forgotten ten years from now?

I’ll never forget about MLP for as long as I live

I'll never forget it.

As long as there's one fan left...

Hasbro has always considered the various iterations of my little pony to be their secondary or tertiary product when it comes to merchandising.

7396109 How shows have you heard of that never got any kind of widespread home media releases and had to survive on fan recordings for decades, yet people still remember them today and praise them? FiM will be the same. The fandom and the cultural phomenon it set off will not be forgotten, and that couldn't have happened if there wasn't something to latch onto.

We won't let it disappeare because we love it too much

Considering shows like My Life as a Teenage Robot, Danny Phantom, the original teen titans, justice league, and the original Ben 10 series are all still well remembered I don't think MLP friendship is Magic has anything to worry about

Dude, you can find cartoons going all the way back to the 60s on DVD and streaming services. Some of my old friends are really into Avatar TLA. I was able to find G1 MLP on dvd! No offence, but Your overreactng. People will still remember the show, and the fandom will continue. Just because the show ended doesn't mean it won t be forgotten.

That's a very interesting question. I believe that FiM will still be remembered as long as we keep expressing our love for the show through what we do: fan art, fanfiction, etc.. That is how other fandoms stayed alive.

They stopped talking to us because we were mean? Preposterous! They stopped communicating with us because the show is over and they have other stuff to do with their time.

And they're a lot poorer for it than they would be otherwise. They threw away a fortune. They could've been multibillionaires. Not that there wasn't standard merchandise at one point, like calendars, pint glasses, trading cards, etc., but much less than there should have been.

Name one show that fits that. I can think of a few that survived on fan recordings, but are nowhere near popular.

And even if it remains watchable forever one way or another, what if everyone just forgets it, from not rewatching episodes and feeling their pony flame blowing out, etc.? My friend who got me into it, lost interest after Season 6's ending disappointed him, aside from one particular pony, and many more hated how it ended. Plus if it's pulled from Netflix it'll be difficult for the next generation to get into it or even find out about it.

Take James Bond for instance. I was a late arrival to it and got into it because there was a reference to it in a MLP episode that I didn't get and someone pointed it out to me. Or Final Fantasy VII, I was a way late arrival to it too, and while I had heard of those games before, it was Cloud being playable in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate that led me to it. (He's not the only FF7 character anymore) Citizen Kane, a very old movie, I first saw it either this year or last because I kept hearing the classic spoiler come up: Rosebud is the name of the sled. I discovered The Princess and the Frog (the Disney movie) years after its release due to merchandise of it.

Even Winx Club, which is a very unpopular show (in part by sexist men who put it down for having female protagonists, and in part by overly fussy people who make a big deal of Bare Your Midriff, which at least stopped because of Gazelle in Zootopia, reflected in lack of reaction to Rainbow Dash's swimsuit while people still blow Rarity's seductiveness in The Other Side out of proportion), the only reason I even discovered it was finding an old Season 1 DVD in the video rental store back when they still existed. The true version, Cinelume dub, only got Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD and they're out of print and removed from Netflix now, I would never be able to find it today.

Even if FiM remains watchable, with more fans losing interest and less references to it and almost no promotion of its popularity, unless the next generation can get into it somehow, once those few of us who remain die of old age, starvation, or covid, that's it, its memory will die with us.

It really deserves major recognition, as well as sending the worldwide message that it's for everyone. It's changed people for the better, lightened up our miserable lives in a depressing world, even prevented suicides. There will never be another show like it.

They released G1 after Twilight's Kingdom, because that was when they appreciated the fans and they had just rebooted the first G1 villain, Tirek, for G4, so they used it to try to promote G1 and make it remembered. Until then I only discovered G1 through looking through a list of MLP villains, trying to see if any villains died in FiM and while Sombra hadn't come along yet, I found out about G1 Tirek... But I think they're going out of print too like the Seasons 1-7 of FiM. They didn't even bother releasing the whole series on DVD, which shows they're willing to just let it be forgotten.

Original Teen Titans got a full DVD release, and I think it was through a random crossover fanfic I don't remember that I discovered it in the first place, and even then all I got was the standalone film and TTG, not until I was asking around about a Teen Titans that would appeal to me did someone on Equestria Daily direct me to the original Teen Titans which is what I was looking for.

They stopped talking to us before that. You're thinking of DHX, who actually wrote the episodes, they never stopped appreciating us, reflected in the content and fanservice throughout every season, and took questions and answers after the show ended. But apparently they don't have power over merchandise, just episodes.

One thing that can be said though is that there were at least conventions for it, and DHX did have a good relationship with the fans. My same friend who got me into MLP was even friends with some of the cast and crew after being part of a radio show that interviewed them, and got me to talk to Ocean voice actor Michael Dobson over the phone.

Anyway I hope you're all right and it will forever be remembered and watchable and known for generations to come until human extinction.

But again, human extinction is probably not far so it might be a moot point.

(Sorry if I sound so pessimistic, I'm feeling really depressed again, I was triggered by some merchandise for other family-friendly shows that excluded MLP like just about everything does)

Theres way more references to FIM in other media then you may think. In Deadpool 2, Pinkie is mentioned, in the Ducktails reboot there are 2 colored ponies voiced by Andrea libman and Tara strong, Amazing world of Gumball referenced it once or twice, three video games (Watch dogs. Borderlands. Fallout 4) reference FIM, Teen titans GO! has Raven as a closet pegasister, i think you get the point. Relax. Its like your asking about the end of the universe or end of life on Earth. Its going to be ok.

Will MLP: FiM be remembered five years from now, or ten years from now, etc.?

Previous generations of MLP were fondly remembered long after they ended, so, yes.

Seasons 8 and 9 didn't get a DVD release

Not in the US, no, but they did get DVD releases overseas. You can find and purchase these DVDs online.

Hasbro is no longer trying to promote its popularity. They used to at least make an effort to draw fans in

Yes, because the show ended, not because of childish, immature fans. We were lucky to get even a fourth season.

but ever since some of the more ungrateful and rabid fans started harrassing them for stuff they didn't like, they cut off all outside communication so we can't even contact them to tell them they only saw the bad side and that there is a good side of the fandom too that makes FiM worth promoting and remembering.

I can only assume you're talking about these people. Yes, these Lauren Faust fanboys are the ones that make the fandom look terrible.

Furthermore the FiM merchandise has been kept to a minimum during its run and now it's extremely rare you see any in stores.

True that. I went into a Walmart a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find anything pony-related.

Furthermore it hasn't been getting the same recognition as all the popular shows - not even Spongebob or Hello Kitty.

This has more to do with the fact that the show aired on an obscure cable network that not too many people got more than anything else. This is why most people watched the show online and that's how it got so popular in the first place. Regardless, this show still won tons of awards (mainly for the voice acting than anything else) and did well in views.

And a lot of fans don't feel like rewatching episodes they've seen, as if nothing ever has rewatch value.

For me personally, there is no reason whatsoever to watch the show considering the fact that they just have Twilight move back to Canterlot in the end, making everything that happened in the show completely and utterly pointless.

Even though I have Seasons 1-7 and recordings of 8-9 (at least until my house is destroyed by an unforeseen disaster), it'd still be difficult rewatching it knowing it'll fade into obscurity one day, even if it remains watchable forever, and I've put my rewatch on hold for now.

Sadly, this happened to the previous generations of MLP due to the insane popularity of G4.

Is there any hope that it will be remembered and get the recognition that it deserves SO MUCH MORE than Frozen?

Yes. In fact, this has been known to happen to several shows years after they ended.

Is there any chance G5 will draw in fans who will trace it back to G4?

Highly unlikely. G5 will have next to nothing to do with G4. It will be its own separate thing.

Or will it forever be forgotten ten years from now?

There is no chance of that happening.

7396121 :pinkiegasp: Really? But isn't MLP one of their biggest cash cow franchises? :rainbowhuh:

Dont worry. There was a time where I believed the Mobile suit Gundam anime wasn't popular in America anymore. Thankfully that isn't the case.

Let me answer your question with a question.

Have you heard of the facts of life? The A-team? MacGyver? Dukes of Hazard? Facts of Life? Popeye? Smurfs? The Flintstone? The Jetsons? The three Stooges?

If anyone remembers it or hears it, they'll probably get curious and look it up.

The only way it'll go away forever is if canceled culture gets a hold of it like it did with Dukes of Hazard.

Fim might not be as big as it was, but it'll be remembered

The A-team looks awesome.

It is.

Tbh I haven't seen the original show, but I have seen the '09 movie and it is awesome

We'll carry on the memory. On my Christmas Break, I'm going to binge it all, too. Places like this? It helps ensure that it'll live on.

Heres another answer to your question.

William Shakespeare. Centuries old and still fondly remembered. I own both a hardcover and dvd copy of Hamlet.

I just looked up G1 MLP and found the complete series on DVD on Amazon for about 20 dollars.

Will FiM be remembered?

Yes.

I've heard of MacGyver and Smurfs but never seen them, might've seen The Flintstones a long time ago, saw commercials for The Jetsons, saw the live-action Popeye, and The Three Stooges, long ago. Tried The Dukes of Hazard, couldn't get into it.

I hope you're right.

Previous generations of MLP were fondly remembered long after they ended, so, yes.

"Previous generations" mainly referring to one, the other one with overt appeal, G1, though it evidently wasn't remembered enough since at the time of G4's release, people thought nothing with the name My Little Pony could be good, and the idea of an appealing MLP was either new or preposterous to everyone. If the neighsayers saw the pilot episode of G1 that would shut them up. Lauren Faust was one of the few who remembered it and strived to make G4 as good as G1, and it turned out even better.

Not in the US, no, but they did get DVD releases overseas. You can find and purchase these DVDs online.

But what good would they be in the US or Canada if they're not Region 1?

Yes, because the show ended, not because of childish, immature fans. We were lucky to get even a fourth season.

They stopped long before that. Sometime after Season 5 though, they were showing their appreciation before by releasing G1 on DVD after G4 Tirek was introduced.

This has more to do with the fact that the show aired on an obscure cable network that not too many people got more than anything else.

That is a good point, and they charge an excessive amount for it from what I heard. And in Canada they stuck it with the kind of show that G2 and G3 would fit in better with, when it should've been on YTV or Teletoon. (Even Treehouse themselves seem to figure it doesn't belong there as they mute out the word "loser" over half the times it is uttered, though they did air every two-part episode otherwise uncensored including both of Sombra's deaths) And it seems to be less popular here than in America. Screwball told me about it, Skipsy told him about it, no clue how he found out about it. I attended a meeting once and there were like six people there, one of whom was a nonbeliever, but not a jerk about it as he was still hanging with his brony friend, and watching an episode on ipod got him into it.

Sadly, this happened to the previous generations of MLP due to the insane popularity of G4.

Doesn't that contradict your first paragraph?

Yes. In fact, this has been known to happen to several shows years after they ended.

That does give me a glimmer of hope.

Highly unlikely. G5 will have next to nothing to do with G4. It will be its own separate thing.

Let me rephrase that. Even though G5 will be a completely different continuity, if it is as good as G4 or better, and it gets a big fanbase of people who never even knew of G4's popularity, they might wonder "when did MLP become so good?" and trace it back to G4. I discovered G1 through G4, after all, G1 would have completely gone over my head otherwise. And again, due to G4's popularity they rebooted Tirek, the first G1 villain (and one of the two most popular), as the main villain of the S4 finale, for people who remembered G1, then released G1 on DVD afterwards to try to make it more popular and inform those in the dark about G1 of its Tirek, the origin of the G4 Tirek.

There is no chance of that happening.

I hope you're right. For the sake of all the fans, all the ponies, changelings, dragons, yaks, griffons, hippogriffs, and Kirin.

We'll just keep writing like we always have. FiM will always be with us.

I hope we can put your fears at ease.

I'll always remember this series.

True, he is remembered today. And even if the human race lives another 500 years, he will never be forgotten. Nor will Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, MCU, a lot of the popular animes like DBZ, Sailor Moon, Naruto, JoJo, Fairy Tail, Attack on Titan, etc. (true that some of those animes are ongoing but even if they end next year...), Spongebob, Smurfs, or Hello Kitty. But will MLP: FiM ever reach the point of recognition that all of them got? It never truly got the same acknowledgement during its run, other than its conventions.

I'd name classic Disney movies too except they might be difficult for newcomers to get into if Disney keeps hoarding them in their vault. (IMO they glorify Frozen way too much, and continued to do so even after releasing Big Hero 6, Zootopia, and Moana, the last two of which were somewhat better. While I personally didn't like Lilo and Stitch, at least it was really popular.)

Oh, so I guess they're not out of print yet. If they were they'd either be at a ridiculous price or unavailable. (I got it as soon as it was first available)

I hope so too. And I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying really hard to shoot all of your attempts down, I just want to make sure every possible angle is thought out and I remember what happened the last time I thought I was being paranoid.

Powerpuff girls. I heard it was very similar to how FIM is. Outsiders saw it as a girly tv show and poked fun at fans. Pokemon was thought of as a fad back in the 90s.

Is Powerpuff Girls still popular today? (I do remember hearing there was a bit of "fanservice" directed at male fans)

Pokemon was pretty popular in the late 90's. Back then it was the thing you'd see everywhere rather than Frozen. There was even a commercial: "Pokemon are everywhere! They're invading!" Now of course it's Frozen you see everywhere, and in any event Pokemon is still ongoing well over a thousand episodes, and aside from episodes of later seasons written by Atsuhiro Tomioka (either regarding epic villain battles, Misty, or Charizard), most of the good episodes were in Seasons 1-5, though many of us, myself included, have nostalgia as a major factor, and aside from Atsuhiro Tomioka episodes, it often seems like is doesn't try as hard to be an all-audience show as MLP (although, some of the movies saw good Pokemon like Latios and Lucario die). But I will admit it took many years after the DVD release of Seasons 1, 2, and 5 for Seasons 3 and 4 to be released on DVD, and they eventually were, and I've continued to see Indigo or Orange Islands DVD's in stores.

Although, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is starting to be forgotten as its wikia is a ghost town and its DVD's were harder to find at a decent price (but both it and original FMA are still on Netflix). And it's not even as kid-friendly as FiM. But it was popular during its run, and so was Inuyasha, which is despised nowadays.

But the original dubs of Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z, and Cardcaptors are dead. And in the case of Cardcaptors, replaced with a far inferior redub (at least SM and DBZ redubs are popular and well-known today).

Humanity will live on. We are a stubborn species. Life finds a way.

Chances have at least increased between Trump losing the election (where Biden said he will heal and reunite the US and has re-accepted the LGBT community) and the vaccine coming out soon, but a lot more changes need to be made for the next generation to survive in this world.

Its just another bloody chapter in our history. There have been numerous times in history where people thought we were at the end. Plauges for instance. Natural disasters. Im sure solar eclipses were thought of as a bad omen in the past. Our planet will survive. Our species will survive. Our culture will survive. FIM will survive.

Things weren't as complicated then. Nowadays house prices are too high for people to afford unless they're really rich, even the smallest condos. (I'm fortunate to be born into a rich and caring family or else I'd have frozen to death on the street long ago) Even cars, and other stuff which should be a LOT cheaper as we basically need them. Double for the fact that even before covid it's become nearly impossible to get a job, let alone one that can pay all the bills. Also, kids today will grow up in a dark and confusing world they'll never understand and be thrust into parts of it without having any time to adjust. There are overcomplicated procedures for what should be simple stuff and broken systems that don't have people's best interests at heart. The fact that a man like Trump got elected president at all and let covid get as bad as it did showcases this.

I'd say overpopulation too, but covid already pulled a Thanos on us. Sooner or later the overpopulation issue will re-emerge, and only decrease when another plague, dictator, terrorist, or disaster comes and wipes out millions more. Even if humanity survives for another 500 years it'll be miserable as it's always been, and I'm still concerned next generation won't even have MLP to lighten up their days like we did. Even if it's available, they might never find it.

Probably the first time I got all that out and if you can prove me wrong I will have faith in the human race's survival.

All the more reason it deserves the proper recognition.

ten bucks says that eventually a dvd collection will get released.

I dont know what else to tell you. I just hope you can get oit of your funk. I was depressed about this kind of stufd a few years ago. Far-fetched stuff like the sun dying or universe ending. Not that they won't happen. Just....those things are billions and billions of years away. We will all be long gone by then, so why worry?

Me neither! I will always remember it!

G1, though it evidently wasn't remembered enough since at the time of G4's release, people thought nothing with the name My Little Pony could be good, and the idea of an appealing MLP was either new or preposterous to everyone.

Strongly disagree since G1 is fondly remembered by those who watched it in the '80s.

But what good would they be in the US or Canada if they're not Region 1?

The DVDs are in English.

Doesn't that contradict your first paragraph?

No. I'm just saying that G4 became so popular that nobody bothered with the previous generations other than those who fondly rememwbred them from when they were kids.

Even though G5 will be a completely different continuity, if it is as good as G4 or better, and it gets a big fanbase of people who never even knew of G4's popularity, they might wonder "when did MLP become so good?" and trace it back to G4.

Given that G5 is being run by Meghan McCarthy, I have little doubt that G5 won't be as good, if not better, than G4 was. And considering how insanely popular G4 was, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who didn't know about its popularity.

But will MLP: FiM ever reach the point of recognition that all of them got?

Yes.

It never truly got the same acknowledgement during its run, other than its conventions.

It got enough recognition that it went on for nine years, long after it was originally supposed to end. The only reason it didn't get the recognition that the other previously mentioned properties did is because the show aired on an obscure cable network.

Is Powerpuff Girls still popular today?

Considering the fact that it got a reboot, I'd say yes, especially by those of us who watched it growing up and have fond memories of it.

7396242 Honestly, that would not surprise me in the slightest, as Hasbro has done that for the previous generations of MLP in the past. But considering I already have seasons 1-7 on DVD, the only reason I'd get it is for seasons 8 and 9.

If I knew you in person I'd take that bet, and I'd gladly pay it and the DVD collection price for FiM preserved in its entirety forever.

I really appreciate your attempts at this, make no mistake. I hope one day people can live decent lives without too much trouble and that MLP: FiM will be there to further brighten our days for the remainder of our existence.

The DVDs are in English.

But how would I play them? My DVD and Blu Ray players can only play Region 1, DVD's of any other region wouldn't work.

Given that G5 is being run by Meghan McCarthy, I have little doubt that G5 won't be as good, if not better, than G4 was. And considering how insanely popular G4 was, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who didn't know about its popularity.

I didn't know she was writing it. That gives me faith that G5 will be good. But there are many people, probably over half the world, who don't know of G4's popularity. Though due to various bits of definitive appeal it's been easy to convince anyone I talk to of it, but none of them except my boss have gotten into it themselves as far as I know, not even my old high school teacher who loves Spongebob.

But will MLP: FiM ever reach the point of recognition that all of them got?

Yes.

I hope you're right and when that day comes I'll throw as big a celebration as I will when covid is dead and gone.

It will. There are fictional stories all the way from the medieval times that are remembered. Beowulf for instance. The Greek epics and mythologies.

Like Icarus, which was referenced when Rarity flew too close to the sun, burned her wings, and fell. Of course Icarus didn't have Rainbow Dash and a Sonic Rainboom.

Anyway I hope you're right about both MLP and humanity's survival.

It got enough recognition that it went on for nine years, long after it was originally supposed to end. The only reason it didn't get the recognition that the other previously mentioned properties did is because the show aired on an obscure cable network.

Well there's that and there's the fact that we live in an era of cord cutting, cable is on its way out. Hasbro never tried to get more cable packages to pick up The Hub when they owned it, and Discovery Family after they took over did a poor job of advertising it since they seemed more interested in plugging their own variety shows no one cared about. And even in the days of The Hub, the show really stood out more for its online presence. Even before there were DVD sets or Netflix recordings you could look up entire episodes online on YouTube. It was that accessibility in the early days that allowed the show to become such a pheomnon.

I kinda miss cable tv.

One thing I will acknowledge was that John de Lancie did a documentary to promote the show's popularity and make it well known, and Lauren Faust and other crew members of FiM took part in it. Except the documentary itself was even more obscure and out of the way to find, not to mention having an excessively long title making it difficult to search for. And plus it spoke of how kind and accepting the fandom as a whole was, where since then it has acquired a very toxic side (I think starting after Season 3), though still one that doesn't encompass the whole fandom.

7396270 No documentary is ever going to be able to capture every aspect of a fandom no matter how hard it may try. The Brony fandom stood out specifically because of the initial perceptions surrounding it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 129