In General 585 members · 3,889 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

First off, posting a video from Asmongold doesn’t mean I want this thread to be about his opinions and viewpoints. Let’s focus on the message here, not who said it. This is generally why I choose to post videos from people like YongYea who has a mostly clear history. I'll post an image with the summary.

Marvel Rivals is an upcoming hero shooter that appears to take a lot of inspiration from Overwatch. To get a review code, there’s certain conditions. This is nothing new. But what’s really noteworthy is that you’re not allowed to give a negative review. They want a professional opinion, yet it must be positive. Professionals have standards!

What the hell?! So, they want to give out review codes, but only if you basically don’t do your job. There’s always the good and the bad that goes with these products. And since the gaming industry loves to follow the leads of others, who’s to say this sort of thing won’t happen more often? They’re so afraid of Marvel Rivals falling short that they’re flat-out telling people not to say negative stuff about it before release. For now, a closed alpha is playable to a lucky few.

I’m glad this got out when it did which will naturally bring negative attention to this game. What is it that they don’t want people to know about? Unless this game knocks it out of the park, this will probably be dead within a year or two from release. Nowadays, games just don’t survive like this anymore, especially other hero shooters. Take Gundam Evolution. That lasted for a little over a year before shutting down. LawBreakers barely lasted a year before shutdown. Battleborn was pretty much dead in the water the moment it came out within weeks of the original Overwatch.

It's generally never a good sign to have review embargoes or not sending out review copies. So those previous two things don’t apply to this game yet as this is not a public release. But, in this case, people who can get early access to this game are being told not to say anything bad about the game I something I thought was bad enough to make a thread about. To me that suggests that they know this game may not stand on its legs all that well. I’ll be surprised if this game manages to fully release and survive for more than a year. Slapping a popular IP on a game isn’t nearly enough to keep it going and Marvel isn’t at the same highs as they were prior to 2020 with the MCU building up to Thanos and paying it off.

And there’s still other gaming news I want to talk about for separated threads like Microsoft shutting down multiple studios and Escape from Tarkov’s $250 edition. Narrowing down just 10 of the worst gaming decisions of 2024 will be a task for anyone brave enough to do it and we’re still not even halfway into May yet.

Man, fuck that shit.

If Marvel doesn't want bad reviews, maybe they should try and actually put out a good game instead of yet another dumpster fire that's relying on brand loyalty to carry it.

Here's a bright idea, Marvel: If you don't think your game will be reviewed well, either FIX the game or can it altogether and make a different one.

Honestly, the sad part is if it were done well, a Marvel game in the style of Overwatch actually sounds cool.

I wouldn't be surprised if this game was made because of what suits told them to make.

Suit: I want a Marvel game that will last for years. Any ideas?
Market Team: Overwatch sold extremely well years ago and...
Suit: Great! Go ahead and make it.
Market Team: But we didn't finish explaining...
Suit: Make Overwatch but with Marvel characters, people will eat that up!
Market Team: But other games like this failed.
Suit: I'm tired of excuses, make the game happen and trust in the process. No more buts.
Market Team: B... Even Overwatch is greatly struggling after 2 which made limited changes to be called 2 and they scrapped the PvE entirely.
Suit: I don't need to hear this. You're all fired! And now we'll throw in a bit about those with alpha codes to not say anything bad about this game. Rep saved, this game will knock it out of the ball park!

It could be pretty cool if done right, of which I'm not exactly hopeful this game will be if they're trying to pull off this whole no negative comments or comparisons to similar games. Good luck trying to get people to not compare this to Overwatch.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4