Equestrian Historical Society 830 members · 640 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

Hi. I'm a huge history fan and I enjoy writing about military exploits.
Are there any particular wars in Equestrian History not often touched upon?
I'm very interested in the Crusades (Or more specifically the Arabian Conquests and Defences) so anything on Saddle Arabia or Zebrica would be good.
I could also do something on the conflict between Celestia and Nightmare Moon. I've written about it in my fics (Read the italics chapter)

Just remember: the only crusade to succeed was the first one.

The Muslim countires were disunited and fighting in a power vacume. The crusaders just happened to walk through JUST at the right time.

The Crusaders & Eastern stlyes of fighting were overwhelingly diffrent

5843348 I don't really know of any wars that appear in MLP other then the confrontations between Discord and the Sisters, Sombra and the sisters, and the Sisters themselves. I image there could be lots of conflicts scattered through out the unknown history of Equestria but as far as the show goes there isn't much. If you wanted Crusades/Arabian Defense style conflict, you could have some foreign nation (zebras, griffons, and/or minotaurs come to mind) trying to claim the perfect land from a fledgling Equestrian nation that's still trying to work out problems between the three pony races not too long after the Hearths Warming tale.

I personally write in the Fallout Equestria setting and that place is ripe for war exploits since most writers there are obsessed with Wasteland shenanigans. The 20 year long conflict between ponies and zebras makes for some good warfare in my book, if I could get that far along... #writersbolckisthedevil

Anyway, good luck

5843420 Well I've got a sort of conflict in my fics that's only mentioned in the setting.
Zebrica and parts of Saddle Arabia became subject to a conquest by what was known as the Ivorium Empire, brutal proboscid slavers resembling prehistoric elephants such as the Deinotherium, the Gomphotherium and the Platybelodon.
The Ivorium started with their smaller elephant cousins then nearly every sapient race in Zebrica until they came ransacking the zebra lands. The organised kingdoms held out for the most part but countless tribes outside the borders were enslaved.
Antelopia (Ancient Egypt-equivalent) was also attacked and called upon its allies in Saddle Arabia who later called upon Equestria. Equestrian intervention was minimal but was largely the reason the event is recorded in their history.
The war escalated into a grand alliance of Zebrica's denizens and their friends against the Ivorium and their mercenary armies.
Now the Ivorium Empire is fractured and weak, hardly capable of threatening the tribes let alone any kingdom.

5843396 Yes. That was the thing. The Crusaders expected the Saracens to just give out after taking Jerusalem.
They'd captured the Holy Land but they couldn't hold it. They were in a land very much unlike theirs where an enemy army could hide behind every sand dune and their allies were growing less and less trustworthy by the day.
You can fight the desert-dwellers but you can't fight the desert.

Thats a pretty simplistic way to look at almost 500 years of history. (200 if you consider just the ones in the middle east and involve the "Kingdom of Jerusale" to be Crusades for some reason). The Crusaders hardly thought "oh we will just conquer Jerusalem and that it , we won yay!"). You could spend years studying the crusades and still not know all.

Ultimately the advantage was always in the "home turf" so of course there was rather a question of "how long can it actually last" rather then "will they be able to conquer all of the middle east" or anything similar. Still the Crusades had a very important impact on both Europe and the Middle east, in many different way that affected our very existance to this day and managed to halt ,or at the very least slow down significantly, the assault of Islam into Europe.

The Muslims countries were always disuinited and still are to this day, heck some muslims were allied with Jerusalem against other and even the Mamuluke Sultanate(probably who you refer to when you mean the muslims) were allies with the Franks (Crusaders/KIngdom of Jerusalem/whatever you want to call it) against others at different points. We are talking about around 200 years of History after all not just a few months.

Heck the Sultan who dealt the death blow (but still did not live to see it completely dismantled) to the Kingdom of Jerusalem came to power by killing the last sultan and taking over to form his own dynasty.

5843543 I realise. I just prefer to sum up. It's never that simple but I'd take all day describing if anyone let me.

I'm a uni grad & 12th Century re-enactor. I am not going to write an mini-dissertation to explain the insanity and sheer luck of the Crusade. Including comparisons of arms & armour of either side. And my comment was SOLEY refering to the first.

And yes, your points are also correct in a simple summary

TLDR:

Crusaders walk in at JUST the right time.
Crusaders happen to win most battles mostly through a combination of luck and the natives having no idea what to do against heavy armour of the west.

One the power void in the Near-East comes to a close and the natives have familiarized with the tactics & arms of the Crusaders- they chip away at the Crusader Kingdoms.

Richard's crusade ended thanks to French mucking around. 2 more months and he would have likely captured Jerusalem with the death of Saladin.
4th Crusade was such a disaster.

5843687 And let's not start with what came after that.
That must have been so embarrassing for those poor Franks.

Canonically I don't think Equestria has ever had a war, but headcanonically I have 2000 years worth of history to pull from so there were quite a few.

5843687 You are of course right, but from my own understanding probably the main reason the crusader states survived as long as they did was moslty because muslims were far bussier fighting other muslims most of the time, "Saladin" might be the best example as as far as i know he had the power to destroy the states but was usually more busy with keeping his own lands under control against rebelions and such. There are a ton of misconceptions about the crusades that people believe.

5844112 Yeah, I've been researching Saladin. He's a hero of mine.
He had to fight his several of his own uncles to take control of the Middle East and that was just to take the primary warfront on Mosul and Aleppo. There were more Muslim dynasties in Arabia and Egypt than you could shake a stick at, each with its own belief system and each with different stances on opposing either him or the Crusaders.
It took a strong and wise man to bring it all together.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13