Rarity 2,008 members · 3,867 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

“No, you are the one who doesn't understand, not us. This is not a gift. There is no such thing as 'gifts.' Even when you give something to a stranger, you do it for the reaction, and to get yourself a little more in their favor. And when an enemy gives you a 'gift' of this magnitude, it's to exploit your weaknesses, make you question your own decisions, and make you forget that on the battlefield, it is them or us.

If someone said this to Rarity, what would she say?

"Well, really, dahling! Which of us is the Element of Generosity here? I mean, I think I know a thing or two about gifts. And by the way, you know, that spear clashes with your armor something dreadful... but then what would an ogre like you know about style, mmm?" :raritywink:

Well, darling, I'm afraid I respectfully disagree. Generous donations and anonymous gifts do exist. You know ponies donate hundreds of bits to charities with no name attached, simply because they have the desire to help where they can. I should know, I've done it before, and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one. I am an element of generosity, darling. A prominent one, yes, but not the only one. The lovely thing about generosity, is you needn't a trinket or jewelry to invoke it. Like, all of the other elements, kindness, loyalty, honesty, and laughter, anypony can use them. You simply need choose to.

Darling, I fear you have twisted the word gift to fit your world view. We must step back and address the question you have raised. First, a gift is something freely given without expectation of compensation, or reciprocity. I believe the word you are looking for is presentation.

When I present a dress to Sapphire Shores and she asks how much it is, I say it costs nothing, but when others ask about the dress, please let them know I designed and made the dress. You see, this dress was not a gift, even if I charged nothing. I presented her the dress in hopes of receiving something more. Name recognition, increased business, and therefore increased sales. I’m excepting more profit from the presentation, than the cost of the item presented.

This can be the same with charity. I give to the Fashion University to have a new dorm built. I expect my name will be on the dorm. While some will not notice, others may simply say, ‘That was nice of her,’ but a few will research my name and that will lead to the above. In the end I’m expecting some profit from my charitable giving. Note I use the word giving, not gift.

A gift is something you give that you expect nothing in return, and you give up control of the gift. For example, I come across someone who is begging. I give them bits with no expectations. What the do with the bits is beyond my control. Might they thank me, or even look upon me with favor? That may happen and is an unexpected return. A return that brings me joy and some self-gratification. Yes, I know they may use the gift for something undesirable, such as alcohol or drugs, or they may use it for something desirable such a food for their family. Again, by giving a gift I have given up control of the gift.

I give to a shelter and keep my name out of the gift. I do not want to place any undue requirements on the receiver of the gift. I give business attire I designed and made with out a label. Sure, anyone that looks at the clothing could determine it is a Rarity creation, but they know not who gave it. I do this in hopes that someone may benefit from it and gain a job, leading to self-respect and a better future. If that happens is beyond by control and there is no need for me to find out if it did.

Same with me giving to the same Fashion University scholarship fund. I don’t want my name attached as it may make the receiver try to live up to something they are not. I care not who receives the benefit, as I trust the university to be good stewards. What I do get out of it is the hope that someone may benefit from the scholarship and be one with me in the industry.

To get to the heart of your question though, is the receiving of a gift. First you must determine if you were given a gift or a presentation. Are you expected to do something in return, then it wasn’t a gift. Yet, even a gift could put pressure on you to act. How you act will determine who you are, not the gift you received.

Earlier I said when I give to a beggar, I have no control over the gift, but if I wanted control, then I’d have to open my life to the beggar in hopes the beggar would open their life to me. It takes time and effort, and the giving of time is a precious gift. The gift of time may lead to heartache if the receiver rejects the gift, but only through such action can you truly help another.

To your closing statement. Let’s say I receive a gift that contains information I could use to destroy one of my competitors. If it is truly a gift then I could do nothing with it, if I chose. If it was a presentation, then I’d be expected to do something with it, and that is not a choice. For me, to do nothing is a bad choice as whoever gave this would find another to give it to, so they will have the outcome they desired. Why not do it themselves? Because they wouldn’t be trusted where I would be? If anything, you receive makes you question yourself, then I would question if you truly even know who you are. I would have to invest myself and time in letting this competitor into my life and hope they will let me into theirs. Once trust is built, I can present the gift I received to them in expectation that something will be done on their part. Then I must stay with them as they make the choice what to do, or my presentation was for nothing.

So, you must first know if what you received is truly a gift or not, and then know yourself before you act on any gift or presentation.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4