Sad 2,623 members · 4,359 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

Hey there again, everybody. I need help with one last thing for now. It's about writing my sad song for my MLP FIM OC antagonist. It's called My True Repentance. I know that I should be doing this on my own, but I need some guidance on how to make it genuinely sad and emotionally powerful like some of my favorite sad songs.

If you have any guidance or suggestions on how I can do this on my own, please let me know by either replying to this thread or via PM. Thank you and have a great day.

I'll throw a really sad chord progression at you, or at least a chord gesture that you can utilise in and amongst the rest of what you're working on. 1st-inversion minor chords, where the third is on the bass and the root/5th are on top. If you move these notes in parallel motion, either up or down, it creates a really sad, melancholy effect. (So I find it anyway.) For example, Dm to Em. If you voice them as F D A (6th between F and D, 5th between D and A) and G E B respectively, you get a really nice effect. Plus, to lighten things up for a moment and create harmonic contrast, you could come down to a 2nd-inversion A (voiced E C# A).

To give a practical example. One bar of 4/4 on Dm, one bar on Em, two bars on Dm as the primary progression. Then for the secondary, one bar of 4/4 on A, one bar on Dm (do this twice)? Hope this helps a bit.

Part of an original song I used in my story was:

My life
Has washed away
I knew it'd meet the end
I'll take another ride
Some other day
And wait to breathe again

Thanks for the chord progression. However, I'm trying to write great and catchy lyrics that are both sad yet emotional powerful. I still love your advice, though.

How do you come up with original lyrics like that?

Started by just writing a regular sad poem based on what was happening in the story, mostly the chorus first, then worked backward from there. I find A-B-C-D-E-C poem structure to be easiest to work with, where you only have to rhyme two words instead of six. Like that, you can basically write whatever you want and get something good out of it.

Also, I've thought of two key signatures for the song. They are C# minor and F# minor (bridge) from key signature characteristics.

Thanks. What story is that song from?

Beyond Me. Basically, religious conservative man becomes filly. Imagine Trust Once Lost but changed up a bit

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9