Scootaloo 2,575 members · 3,273 stories
Comments ( 22 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 22

I've begun to realize that he only thing keeping her grounded is Hasbro evident by this comic here.

and as such was wondering if windsocks the earth pony can ly then why the help cant she! (also rumble loo!)
*reason is commonly passed off as wing related muscle atrophy
*reason two is that it has to do with her lack of understanding of pegasus magic or a lack of pegasus magic in her self.
*reason three is that it has something to do with genetic as of recent it's confirmed through the last crusade she has an earth pony for a father...

As for my solution, its cannon prothesis exists so why not wing prosthetics or maybe twilight can transfer some of Rainbow dashes or even her mother's pegasus magic into her?

What are your thoughts on the whole cannon story of scootaloo?
do you think she'll fly in the crazy pony life show(honestly I still think that shows just fever dream from when pinkie had discord magic and personally revoke its cannon status)

I’m a subscriber of the third school of thought: due to her dad’s genes, Scoots has solid bones instead of hollow avian ones. As a result, she’s able to tank scooter crashes without injury. The trade off is her wings can barely lift her off the ground.

A buddy of mine is working on a hard-science AU where Scootaloo is an astronaut. Lower gravity planets are places where she can fly, so she actively seeks them out. Stories that address her flightlessness indirectly are the best, I think. The best depiction I myself ever did of Scoots acknowledges her wings in the in the cover art, but the actual story puts way more stress on her personality and relationship with Flurry Heart than anything else. It’s important to remember that a character is defined more by what they can do than what they can’t.

I think it is a magical issue with the wings, but I think it is fixable, just that the fix is risky and Equestria doesn't go for 80-20 life odds types of things where somepony is 100% able to live without the treatment, and nopony told Scoots.

I covered it in https://www.fimfiction.net/story/171812/you-should-have-told-me

She can't fly. This is basic fact. She is handicapped in this way.

And that's alright. Some people just can't do certain things.

And that's alright.

Stop trying to 'fix' her. Accept her for the amazing person she is with exactly the wings she has.

For fanfic writing, the basic assumption that this is a fact should come first. Anything that changes this fact would be just that, a change, not a fix. One can safely assume all the available methods have been employed. Heck, her parents don't seem to be poor. They seem to be doing pretty well.

She cannot fly, and she is amazing anyway. And that's something to be proud of.

She can't fly. This is basic fact. She is handicapped in this way.

And that's alright. Some people just can't do certain things.

And that's alright.

Stop trying to 'fix' her. Accept her for the amazing person she is with exactly the wings she has.

Hear, hear! 100% agree. Dash said it best:

Rainbow Dash: Listen, Scootaloo. Maybe you'll fly someday, or maybe you won't. You're all kinds of awesome anyway. Who's the toughest little pony in town?

not what I ment she is one of the strongest small pastel horses I know of.. i was just winding which explanation I should go with while asking what other thought about Hasbro keeping her grounded. I think everyone wants to see her airborne its why we have so many great fics in the taking flight section
love it great story

You asked what people thought of her remaining grounded. I answered. I am sorry you did not like that answer.

I've begun to realize that he only thing keeping her grounded is Hasbro evident by this comic here

Uh, no. It's been shown in the show that she is physically disabled. Why is everyone hung up on this? She can't fly, period. Get over it already.

never she will fly
I just want to know the best way to make it happen maybe we give her her dirigible

If I have to give an answer, then 3, she was basically born the way she is. And honestly, I hope she stays grounded in future cannon products.

Speaking as someone with Autism, having a disability is like having the blues, we don't really have a happy ending where everything gets fixed. We can compensate, but we'll never be truly normal, and that's the sad truth we have to accept. I guess you could cheat with magic in some way, but that kills what makes her unique (we would basically have another Rainbow Dash on our hands).

being someone who also has autism I beg to differ there isn't a day I don't want to better myself get smarter to learn how to keep my focus for more than a thirty-some minutes before getting distracted by the metaphorical butterfly... as for normal I myself hate that word here's why

Normal is a word to describe something in the now it is not a word that should ever be used to describe an individual normal is an illusion, by definition it means to be unchanged, things change especially individuals,  the ability to self reflect comes from the desire to change if the individual does not desire to change self-reflection won’t even come to mind, we tend to cling to images of people from when we knew them best forgetting they change..Reputation is what people think you are, character is who you are. Change is inevitable, growth is optional

this is taken from my personal philosophy build of what I've learned and ben inspired by over the years...

I don't like the idea that in a world of incredible magic, there is nothing being done to help Scootaloo fly. I would prefer there are magical therapists who help pegasi fly, unicorns cast spells, and earth ponies connect with the land. I mean, in a war-torn alternate Equestria, Rainbow Dash flew with an artificial wing. I know, rule of cool and all, but why doesn't peaceful Equestria do the same, especially for a filly who is friends with multiple princesses?

I was also not a fan of Tempest Shadow's broken horn.

Yes, thank you! 'Fixing' Scootaloo, it's pretty ableist if you were to ask me.

Show already have some disabled ponies. Like Stellar Eclipse who have nonfunctional hind legs. So yeah, even incredible magic dont work all the time.

jxj

Id say reason 2 and/or reason 3. The reason why prosthetics aren't the answer is pretty simple. They can't fix everything and apparently scootaloo's issue can't be fixed with one. Take cochlear implants as an example. They can allow deaf people to hear, but if you happen to have brain or nerve damage, it won't work. Scootaloo's issue can easily be something like that.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of that theory. Hollow bones don't actually weigh much less than regular bones (they need to be denser) and having light bones doesn't fix the problem with Pegasus flight. The only reason pegasi can fly is magic, it's just not happening conventionally

k that's good to know

you seem to be under the misconception we want to change her alter her. but alas that's not true we just think she deserves to fly, just as someone who personally knows several handy caps I can assure you they would love nothing more than to walk again or have that arm back relax buddy ...

7288308 There are ways for Scootaloo to fly that wouldn't have to involve "fixing" her disability. Even just something as simple as a glider or artificial wings would suffice.

I was thinking of coming up with a pony version of the Jenny Haniver from mortal engines I think she'd fall in love with that thing

Really now - lots of people in real life use various technology to compensate for various disabilities, doing what they want to do with their lives when they otherwise couldn't. Having Scootaloo do likewise is not in any way comparable to magic-ing away her disability.

It's been thoroughly established in canon that:
a. Some part of Scootaloo yearns to fly (even if she's fully aware that there are other things she can do with her life)
b. Equestria has the technology to help her fly in some capacity if her own wings would never be up to the task (starting with Apple Bloom's hang glider in "Call of the Cutie").
c. Equestria is not the sort of culture to tell a disabled child "Screw it, you don't really need to achieve your dreams".

To leave her grounded is to send the message "If you encounter an obstacle to your goals, give up without even trying to find a workaround" — not a great message to be sending to people with disabilities (or, you know, in general).

And for what it's worth, the way Scootaloo was involved in comic issue 81 seemed like the writer was trying to subtly say "We would LOVE to have Scootaloo partake of the painfully obvious solution to finally get flying, but our hands are tied".

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 22