Scootaloo 2,575 members · 3,273 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

Issue 81 of the IDW comic had Scootaloo hear the story of Wind Sock, an earth pony who invented a set of strap-on wings (which looked to be just the right size to give Scootaloo the extra bit of lift she'd need), used them to rescue a stranded Wonderbolt, and was welcomed into their ranks. About a month later, the episode "Growing Up is Hard to Do" showed us Scootaloo's adult body with child-size wings, essentially confirming that she'd never fly naturally.

So I've been thinking: With something like that (perhaps with a few improvements to its design), plus the ample thrust from her wings (that lets her do what she does on her scooter), plus some intense training from Rainbow Dash in "hardass coach" mode, plus the determination she's previously exhibited, it's fairly plausible that she might possibly have a shot at the Wonderbolts. Which sounds to me like fertile ground for fanfic.

First, there's the question of whether she's still dreaming that particular dream, which could actually be a story in itself. Let her get some solution for finally getting airborne, let her get the "ICANFLYICANFLYICANFLYICANFLYICANFLY" out of her system, then let her ponder: How much of what she had originally dreamed of (beyond the experience of flight itself) was about what she wanted to do with her life, and how much was about being like Rainbow Dash for the sake of being like Rainbow Dash?

Though assuming she actually would still be interested in taking a shot at the Wonderbolts: What would be the a good way to handle the actual plot? The first thing that I thought of would be to have her academy partner take a look at her equipment and be like "Holy crip she's a crapple!" and change their tune upon seeing what she's capable of. Or focus on her efforts at getting in (maybe with Spitfire not 100% certain if it's a good idea to admit somepony who relies on prosthetic parts to fly). Or something else entirely?

So, what do you all think? Consider these ideas free for the taking - I don't think I'd have the talent to do them justice.

Wasn't that Wind Sock dude like an honorary member or something? They made him a Wonderbolt because he used his creation to save a life. It's unlikely that someone with no flying capability would be able to become a Wonderbolt (even as an honorary member), unless they have accomplished something extraordinary.
I just think that writers took a shit on Scootaloo for no apparent reason. They dragged out her status for as long as they could, and when it came to realization, they did it as lazily as possible.

You seem to have this comic stuck in your head to post about it all over the place to try to get people to talk about it.

You seem to have a solid idea of what you think could happen. So why don't you write a story about it happening?

"Could this happen?"

Yes. Sorry, there's nothing really to discuss. Go write it.

she's not disabled in theory she doesn't have enough pegasus magic running in her veins

I kind of agree with Cryosite.

You have a bunch of ideas that could be used to write a story. You seem to understand your ideas better than anyone else in the world. You seem to be explaining them ok. If you keep explaining them and explaining them, and you keep going until you've convinced oh so many people that this would be a good story idea...

Well, I think you could save time by writing the story yourself. :twilightsmile:

Because it seems to me, you're already writing the story in your head. You're just making it take longer by the way that you keep telling yourself that you aren't a good enough writer to do the thing that you're doing anyway.

You don't think you're a good enough writer?

If you can get people to comment on your posts like this one, you could probably write your story, post a link to it here asking for feedback to help you understand what is and isn't working for them, and get people to comment on your story to help you improve it.

If I was you, I would start by writing a story that's relatively short, so it would be easier for people to read and comment on. But I guess some people do well with writing a longer story in installments? I guess you'll have to try a way that you think might work for you.

If you're afraid of publishing your story to the front page of fimfiction.net, forums like this let you post a link to an "unpublished" story and the story's read password (NOT your user password, just a password to read the one story.)

Yeah, it was a reward for saving a stranded Wonderbolt, but there was no mention of whether or not Wind Sock did any other Wonderbolt stuff with his invention afterwards.

And all available evidence suggests that it wasn't the writers that took a shit on Scootaloo, but Hasbro - everything points to the creators wanting a disabled character, but the execs not wanting one.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6