The Writers' Group 9,313 members · 56,635 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

I don't know if this is the right board for this question? But, is there a way for me to turn regular sentences into rhymes, because one of my stories features Zecora in it. So if you guys got any tips on it. Reply, thanks.

Georg #2 · 2 weeks ago · · ·

7964136 First, you need some skill at rhyming. That's all I got, as anybody who has read my attempts at rhyming will be willing to testify under oath. There are some real powerhouse poets on the site that I hope check in.

As websites go, I find https://www.rhymezone.com/ to be the best. With it at my side, rhymes never make me stressed. Speak your words, with that zebra tilt, get out all your worlds, before your prose can wilt.

sick I am a poet, but any story with Zecora would take ages if not for you lol.

7964136 Get ready to traverse through Hell. Each page of Zecora's speech will take forever to edit. I wrote a zebra chapter a decade ago and I'm still editing it.

Things like that are why I haven't written any stories with Zecora in them. She is a great character but writing everything she says in rhyme would be incredibly arduous. I was able to get Cheery Jubilee down rather easily in the past but without help, Zecora would be impossible to get down.

Well... technically all of you are right, if you want to limit yourself to only the normal type of rhyme, the paired one. It's far easy to rhyme when you use the others, except monorhyime which is as hard as the paired one.
Short introduction on rhyimes: 1) paired or aabb use only when you want to show off, 2)crossed or abab use anytime since is easy to make, 3) hugged abba would sugest for all but especially for tercets especially when you need to rhyme with orange, 4) monorhyime aaaa use in the same situation as the first type and 5) free abcd with hard emphasis on rhythm would sugest for hexameters or when you need to rhyme orange
some types of rhythms you should use
normal or iambic: unstressed stressed
reversed or trochee: stressed unstressed
amphibrach: unstressed stressed unstressed
crettic: stressed unstressed stressed
major ionic and minor ionic: basically you double the stressed and unstressed of the trochee and iamb to the likes of stressed stressed unstressed unstressed and unstressed unstressed stressed stressed
ditrochee: a trochee after a trochee
diiamb: a iamb after a iamb
choriamb: a trochee followed by a iamb
antispast: a iamb followed by a trochee
these are the easiest ones to make but if you can make the ones with all the syllables stressed or unstressed or for the longer feets of 3+ syllables where only one is stressed or unstressed, you have my hat off, because that's hard.
Also it kinda helps to know some romance languages, latin especially, or ancient greek if you really want to be a master of the rhythm.

I really hope you understood all this and it isn't just thermodynamics written in Vietnamese like you'll teach musical theory with only trigonometry notions.

My advice: Don't lock yourself into finding a rhyme for a particular word if that proves frustrating. Often it's easier to start over with a different word, even if you have to change the whole stanza. You can also try doing the rhyme "backwards", starting with the second line instead of the first. Key is staying flexible and focusing on the basic gist of what you need Zecora to say. It may surprise you to find how many different ways there are to communicate the same meaning.

Also, if you're unskilled at poetry, don't concern yourself too much with any specific meter or rhythm. Nobody expects much artistry from Zecora's dialogue, especially not in a fanfic. If you can manage to just get the words to rhyme, that's impressive enough.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8