Sensual Fiction (SFG) 1,726 members · 1,196 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19

Being the fan of romance and the overthinker that I am, I have created a sort of head-canon for the general attitudes to romantic relationships each of the races in MLP have.

Please note these are all demistereotypical generalisations. Pony attitudes are as variable as humans - differences appear between ponies of the same race (like the difference between Applejack and Pinkie Pie), and some may have traits from the other races (Fluttershy may be a good example of such). Remember that this is merely a theory. Also, keep in mind that these only really cover relationships between two of the same race, not between races - you can theorise that one partner would have one trait and the other their own racial traits, etc.

Also this is all my headcanon. You guys don't have to follow it if you don't want to.

Earth Ponies - Love
Earth ponies in relationships will spend a fair portion of their time with the other pony, and are more than happy to just stay in proximity. As they are a slower, practical race, they will usually copulate a) if they are 'in the mood' for it, b) if they're in heat, and c) if they wish to start a family. Diversion from orthodox sexual practices aren't as prevailent in Earth ponies as other races. Homosexual couples will be more inclined to having intercourse if they desire it, due to their inability to breed without magical intervention. Marriage is a way of showing their complete devotion to each other.

Pegasi - Passion
Pegasi, being a naturally expressive and energetic race, will spend their time with their lover doing whatever they can. Sex is a frequent occurence, but not always - sometimes, competing or working together will be enough for them. Pegasi are often in a rather preoccupying job and thus would not likely have much time for their significant other. Unorthodox sexual practices are relatively likely to occur, but only if both partners are willing to explore it. Marriage is mostly seen as a means to an end or for economic benefits, as well as spend more time with their partner.

Unicorns - Bonds
Unicorns are a race bound by royalties and traditions. When a unicorn finds a mate, they will often show their devotion to them with trinkets and the such, and naturally expect the inverse to happen. Sex is not very important to them, likewise with families, but unicorns are known to be pioneers in unorthodox sexual practices and so a 'romp in the hay' is likely to be rather kinky. Marriage is considered one of the most important aspects of their lives, and particular unicorn families consider marriages between high-powered families a great honour.

Zebra - Family
Zebra have a herd mentality, or at least a stronger one than ponies. When two zebra meet and fall in love, marriage is a soon follow-up and, with that, the newest additions to their families. Love-smitten Zebra are likely to be keen on family matters, and seek approval from their partner's family before pursuing the relationship in full. Unorthodox sexual practices are not very common in these situations.

Griffons - Protection
Griffons are, biologically, designed to hunt and fight. This means that when it comes to love, they are willing to fight to the death to protect their other. Whether male or female, a griffon will be willing to take most of the blame for their partner, and will be wary of potential romantic rivals.

1774970 I sort of agree with this chart except pegasi are kinda more romantically linked with the whole sharing of their feathers thingy. Thought this is your head canon so my opinion = squat.

1774985 Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they can't be romantic, and can't exchange feathers or other symbols of their love. I'm just saying that they're usually heavily deeply involved in their relationships and are quite passionate about, and with, their partners.

I'm always open to different interpretations of FiM :twilightsmile: everyone has their own view.

1774970 I also like the idea of Zebra families being super difficult to marry into, even as a zebra. In real life, a zebra stallion will fight his daughter's suitors to see if they are worth his time, and these fights can go on for literally a day.

1775007 Yeah sexual relationships are more prevalent with Pegasi since they use their wings sensually and that preening stuff oh yeah :yay::heart::rainbowwild:

And thanks for being open minded about my opinion usually some people hate having their head canon challenged or talked about.

I see... I think you need to turn off your computer and go do something in real life. That much thought about a fictional world can't be healthy.
Or you could just ignore me like you probably will...

1775018 Ooh, that's a good one. I'd imagine it would depend on the tribe in question (my headcanon - there are many different tribes of Zebra with their own customs and traditions).

1775021 Guess I'm just naturally inclined to being curious and open minded :twilightsheepish:

1775025 Well, I won't ignore you, but I can say that I don't see the problem with thinking about things like this. And besides, I'm still ticking and functioning optimally, so my health isn't in question :pinkiesmile:

Whirring Gears
Group Admin

I imagine pegasus more like your griffon example except maybe not to that extreme.

They look like they value physical capabilities since they seem to have a more militaristic leadership. General Hurricane was the head pegasus from the Hearth's Warming pageant and the Wonderbolts can be seen as a line in Equestrian defense due to their response to a giant attacking dragon. Therefore, I can see it in a pegasus to be willing to fight and protect the one they love.

As kinkiness is involved, I imagine them being into the rough stuff. Biting, pulling, etc. A night that leaves a few marks.

1775286 That makes sense. They seem like a rather 'rough and tumble' kind of race.

This is pretty much the same as my view. It's also worth remembering that Pinkie was a pegasus in previous generations and Fluttershy was an earth pony.

1775549 To which I theorise that Fluttershy has some Earth pony genes in her somewhere. Hence her extra limb growth during her fillyhood. Pinkie, well... guess she was just designed by the cosmos to be a pegasus before there was a mix-up in fate and she turned out to be an Earth pony.

It's probably also fair to say that your take on the races was pretty spot on when pony tribes were divided thousands of years ago before Celestia's rule. But more so in present time line, I would say all said cultural rules have been relaxed to the point where any pony tribe can fall in love with others, and most said differences have been quashed. Glimmers of old ways still round, but as a whole basically more a memory then fact.

1777634 Years upon years of racial distances would be difficult to break, but they can be diminished. As I stated at the beginning of my post, these are only generalisations and, as you just mentioned, the division between the races would be blurred over the 1000+ years of harmony.

Sandman
Group Admin

I imagine that even with the cultural blending, unicorns, especially those of the upper class or older families, would draw more meaning from tradition and courting rituals.

Like say, looking up an old method of proposal to use might mean more because not only are they aware of the meaning, but that one spent the time and effort to learn about it implies that they are quite serious about the relationship.

1780171 Just 'member, this is my thoughts on it.

1781072 And they are very well appreciated. I apologise if my comment seemed rude or some such :twilightsheepish: I was fusing your thoughts and mine into one thing.

1780472 And I'd imagine a few unicorn families would be deep-set in tradition and would vehemently follow it too, sort of like a medieval-esque society.

My only headcannon has been more along the lines of their physicality.

I perceive Earth Pony genetics to produce larger, stronger ponies, assisting their practicality.

Pegasai are the smallest which makes sense seeing as they have to fly. When I think of MLP realistically, I just kind of cut out all the exaggerated stuff (such as Snowflake being able to fly despite the ratio between his wings and his body), but I think half of what allows them flight is their natural magic. It would probably not be possible for a small horse to fly just because it has wings on it's back.

Unicorns are the midway and can be large or small, nothing to really govern that.

Zebras are probably like the Earth Ponies, larger than normal, and griffons are just... griffons.

Fairly good set of stereotypes. While anyone could disagree with specific items from your list due to their own headcanon, I feel any good writer should develope something like tbis for their own stories. Stereotypes do exist. Exceptions are special because of their differences from the norm.

This post offers a good framework to use to put your own ideas into a set of notes.

1782387 Funny, I always thought unicorns, generally, would be smaller, due to the lower amount of physical involvement their race has been through, due to their ability to use magic (their mental strength, however...). Earth Ponies are still the largest, of course. Because Earth Ponies.

Plus, a good portion of pegasi are in the Royal Guard. That may account for something.

Of course, there's also the fact that, like in humans, there are genetic variabilities. So you get small-framed earth ponies and bulky, heavy-set pegasi and unicorns.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19