The Lunaverse 2,573 members · 202 stories
Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23

Spoilers

We have seen two descendants of discord. One fights her nature, and one embraces it. But both are evil. Did they have no choice in the matter. I know we see one fight to stay a pony but does that mean she could have fought to be a good person. Fighting her nature?

I think they choose to be and they culture heavily leans on them being so. But inherently... I'd say no. Lets recall Discord himself isn't evil, just A)Not particularly motivated to play nice and B)He'll literally stop existing if he's not in some a dick. But he's less Loki and more Coyote, if that makes sense.

Chaos isn't evil... its just an assbarrel.

I agree that's true for cannon Discord. But Lunaverse Discord seems very malevelont. Sorry if I'm being rude.

By the way Loki isn't really evil. He often is just a trickster who hurts himself more then others in cartoonishly stupid ways. The death of Baldur is the one exception. Which to be fair is an act of murder but also there is many possible interpretations of that part of the Eddas

I dont think so maybe its a nature vs nurture sort of thing

Again though, we're seeing that from ponies perspective. I can't seem to recall outside of his spawns, so that might, again, heavily influence the perception.

My personal favorite Loki story was when he convinced Thor he was pregnant:rainbowlaugh:
But yeah, I agree. The norse gods were decidedly complex

That's true. And yes Loki is great fun

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

I’d say Zizanie is more “bad” than “evil”; while she lived well outside the law and was primarily concerned with her own self-gratification, she also never really went out of her way to harm others.

As for Discordians generally, I think they have full free will and ability to choose their own fates.

Exactly my point. Discord, if he has a philosophy to speak of, would definitely be a proponent of self determination.

Uhm.....Loki *DID* get pregnant. :pinkiegasp: Long story short, he had to lure away a giant's horse. He did this by becoming a mare. 11 months (?) later Sleipnir was born. He became Odin's steed & Odin described him as "The best of steeds."

Loki's other children included the Midgard Serpent, Hel (ruler of all dead that didn't make it to Valhalla) & the Fenir Wolf.

Truly, a family worthy of starring on the Jerry Springer Show.

:pinkiehappy:

Well, yeah. But I meant he actually convinced Thor he was.

Long story short a pulled cork was involved and ended Ratatoskr being covered in filth and Thor hugging him while he told he was filthy and wretched but he was Thor's.

Loki (& to some extent Odin) was the only god with a 3 digit IQ.

Thor had a NASTY temper & usually killed someone (or tried to) when pissed off.

One thing that always annoyed me about Marvel comics. Thor had red hair & they drew him blonde. Sif had blonde hair (or at least a wig made of gold) & they drew her with black hair.

:twilightangry2:

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

They might not be innately evil, but they are innately chaotic. We tend to build society around following certain fixed laws so tending to break those often ends up doing what we consider evil.

Lets face it mate. Thor isn't all that marketable. In the recent God of War, sure, but don't expect his hairy mug amongst the waifish thin buster sword wield leather be decked dracula collared male corset ensemble wearing brigade of men regarded as hot by the weeb centric industry anytime soon

Not sure about descendants, but Discord himself can NOT be good. Not because he chooses, but because he is literally a spirit of disharmony. He is enemy of Harmony by definition. He can't choose to be good, because god of war can not do peace. Descendants MAY be good or bad, because... They are dilluted, I guess? Not sure. Also not sure how a literal spirit can have babies, but that's another matter, not for this discussion.

In a TVY cartoon, he has to marry the Mommy. I've heard nasty rumors that there are other ways but not in a TVY cartoon there ain't.

:rainbowdetermined2:

On top of that, the giant's horse was introduced as "unlucky traveler" (translation), maybe that implies something...

One popular trope about gods and spirits is that they cannot change in nature, so a chaos god would have to be "chaotic" and neither "good" or "evil", but let's say the world becomes too orderly in a way that reversing the change is considered "good"...

Then there is the "chaotic balance" paradigm...
In case of harmony and disharmony it gets even harder to define, and one could even say they are two different sides of chaos, or whatever other concepts one associates those words with.

Well, the cartoon Discord was blasted with the Elements of Harmony more times than the Lunaverse Discord. Perhaps that makes a difference?

:applejackconfused:

The problem here being that Discord should have never been redeem or even neutral. He was introduced as "spirit of chaos and DISharmony". His name is Discord, which literally means disagreement between people, lack of harmony. Harmony is about balance, absolute order is stagnation. Discord is EVIL. There is no other way around it.

I thought I replied, nevermind then, I'll repeat. It doesn't matter how many times Chaos to be defeated or hit with Harmony. Chaos will remain chaotic. You don't change nature. Fire can't be cold, god of war can't bring peace.

Well, if we take "world becomes order"... Nope. Ponies will simply now have two fronts to fight against. A three way war, if you will. Order(stagnation), Chaos(strife/instability), and normal(harmonius) ponies. God of chaos will not fight to balance. He will still fight to bring ruin. He will simply now have two opponents.

Also... There are worse designs for Thor.

Well, Marvel Universe "Only the worthy can have the power of Thor" I remember the time Dr Blake got turned into a frog & tried to turn into Thor to Get Better. It partially worked.

:pinkiegasp:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23