The Lunaverse 2,573 members · 202 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

"Le Princesse... what was it like back then?"

"Everything sucked and life was terrible."

The end

Yeah, I kind of wanted to have Luna talk about things back then here, its been on the back burner for ages now, but given who Luna is here, I can't help but feel that would be her assessment of Equestria's past:twilightoops:

I had a lot of fun with the concept in The Last Nightguard since I had a primary POV character from Luna's era who was just as baffled about modern science and social norms, like can openers.

“Perchance that top piece should be rotated to the side,” she suggested. “No, that places the ‘tooth’ in an upward location where it cannot bite into the metal.”

And of course war, because it is so romanticized, and a good dose of reality helps.

“Sometimes the past needs to die. Let the present build their own myths around it. They don’t want to see the blood and the mud, the backstabbing and cheating and lying. They want to see the statues, the days of honor, the speeches. Banners and trumpets. Hacking your lungs out from a disease or having your leg chopped off because of gangrene is the reality of my service. We were at war with… Oh, four or five different races at the time, some of whom I’ve seen strolling around the city, so at least the war is over now. Let it stay over. Keep the bodies buried where they belong. Put down your shovel, young one. You do not know what you are going to dig up.”

Full disclosure, I stole this someone else:twilightblush: But yeah, I'd imagine that the sisters would probably have a dim view of the past.

7920025 Estee has some *wonderful* character pieces on the princesses and how the 'good old days' were not all that good at all. Like Jury Duty and Daily Equestria Life with Monster Girl. Or the quirky view of GhostOfHeraclitus

“Excellent. Perhaps this future isn’t as bad as I feared. Well. I may or may not know about submarines, but ponies lie about them exactly as they did when the world was young. Nihil novi sub luna,” she added with what Dotted could swear was a wink, “This will do for now. Oh, yes. I will be useful. Hah! Spycraft! The oldest profession!"

There was a pause, and Luna blushed.

"Ah, second oldest, I should say."

There was another, longer pause, and she added, thoughtfully, "Well. Third, actually."

Dotted raised a questioning eyebrow.

"Flint-knapper, Mr. Line. Trust me. I was there," she said and then laughed, eyes sparkling.

Something like this then?

"Honey, I'll be leaving for a year to go to Canterlot. I may more then likely soil myself to death, be eaten by bears, or robbed and or savagely made some vandals mare or some combination there of, so Ive dug graves for you and the twelve foals before I go to my imminent undignified and no doubt screaming in agony end. I will return with several beads and a dram of murky brown wine for you and a pitcher of whale blubber for the young'ins."

"You are a good stallion Jebediah."

"Please place that on my grave marker and think pleasantly of me the next time a noble comes to pork you."

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5