Proof-reading, Pre-Reading And Editing 960 members · 11 stories
Comments ( 36 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 36

Hello!

I'm a philosophy student from Finland, crazy about ponies and eager to assist other ponies to express their creativity. As a pre-reader I will be focusing mainly on the narrative aspects of the story, to the structure of if and so on. As English is only my second language, I cannot offer much help with the grammatical problems, although I will naturally point out all the mistakes I happen to stumble on.

Tags I prefer to follow: Dark, Sad, Tragedy. All the grim fics, come to me. I don't fancy comedies/slice of life type of stories that much. Clop is fine, though.

Please, don't be afraid to PM me if you think that my humble services could be mobilized for your benefit. It would be nice, though, if you followed a few simple rules when contacting me. First, title the PM with "A Request for Review". Second, make sure that the following information are available in the message: The name of the story, the link to the story, the length of it (how many words?), and a short summary of the plot (with a few lines, don't need to spoil the ending). Also, if your story doesn't fall under the categories of Sad, Dark or Tragic, let me know.

I prefer to work with documents saved in gdocks or in this site, but I'm open to other possibilities. If you have any questions, please, ask them. Send that PM, or answer to this message, it all starts from there.

REMEMBER TO ANSWER TO THIS MESSAGE SO THAT I GET THE NOTIFICATION. I don't visit this thread that often.

-Stanku

Hi. I'd like you to pre-read a story I'm working on.

Title: Falling Inside the black

www.fimfiction.net/story/155466/falling-inside-the-black

Tags: tragedy, sad, dark.

Short summary: this is the story of how the Kuros (blck dragons who wield dark magic) came to be, and their eventual exile from Equestria.

I'd like you to help me with the flow of the story and the character development, the protagonist's fall into darkness and his change of character, as well as how others start reacting around him.

Title: Patience, She Said

Tags(clop/gore is a separate tag): Sad, Slice of Life

Rating(Everyone/Teen/Mature): Everyone

General Summary/Description: A young filly befriends an old dragon taking residence on a mountain looking just over Ponyville.

What type of help are you looking for? (Proof-reader/Pre-reader/Editor): Proof-reader work, possibly some editing

Information the reviewer needs in order to review your work: Story is compete. Nothing else has been planned.

Specific things you want the reviewer to focus on (optional): Received a rejection from Equestria Daily with absolutely no feedback. Would like to know possible reasons justifying rejection and possible remedies. Any information would help immensely.

Other important information: Approx. 5000 words. One shot.

Form of communication you want to use with your reviewer: Fimfiction private messaging.

For those considering to work with Stanku, here is my experience with him.

He has been a dedicated and timely reviewer, raising points about the plot and characters that I had not thought of. He did a full review of my 170k+ story diligently, and helped me nail many issues I had prevalent throughout it. I can honestly not fit into this comment box all the wonderful points, explanations, and critiques he provided for my story and every chapter within it. I have had nothing but positive experience with him, and my writing become better because of it.

Comment posted by ocalhoun deleted Jun 11th, 2014

Hi, I have a story I hope you'll be interested in taking a look at:

Title: A Mother's Love Never Dies
Tags(clop/gore is a separate tag): Sad, Dark
Rating(Everyone/Teen/Mature): I'll submit it 'everyone' first, and resubmit 'teen' if it fails.
General Summary/Description: What happened to Chrysalis immediately after A Canterlot Wedding. It's bittersweet and beautiful. ^.^
What type of help are you looking for? (Proof-reader/Pre-reader/Editor): For now, I'm just looking for some basic pre-reading. There may be major revisions ahead, so I don't want to bother with line-editing just yet (unless you stumble upon a typo that simply must be fixed). You'd be welcome to come back and do in-depth editing on the later revisions if you want, though.
Information the reviewer needs in order to review your work: At first, I was just writing this as a quick one-shot I didn't plan to put much effort into. But then it grabbed me by the feels. Now I want to really polish it up and make it perfect. I think it has fantastic potential, and deserves the full treatment.
(Also, I'll be working with many pre-readers and editors if I can.)
Specific things you want the reviewer to focus on (optional): More than anything right now, I want to know which scenes worked, which didn't, and how you feel as you read through it.
Other important information: about 6500 words, one-shot, complete (though I'll probably make a sequel for it some day)
Form of communication you want to use with your reviewer: Fimfic PM's or Skype (chat.ocalhoun)
I can load it into gdocs, or send you a file, whichever's easier for you.

Welp, here goes nothin'.

Title: Darkness Comes Before The Dawn

Tags: [Dark] [Adventure] Gore

Rating: Teen, though may change to mature if it becomes too dark.

Summary:

A long, long time ago–before Nightmare Moon, before the Princesses, before Discord, before Equestria–there were the mortals and there were the Gods. But the mortals rebelled, wanting to govern themselves and to no longer answer to higher beings, and so war broke out between the Gods and the mortals. The mortals lost, but yet the Gods took pity on them, only to have the mortals abandon any dealings with them. Virtue began to dwindle, and the only remnant of the Gods’ reign were six mysterious gems, ones with power beyond belief. With the founding of Equestria, and the rise of the Princesses everything seemed to come back to normal, except nopony remembered their creators.

Twilight Sparkle has been plagued by a nightmare with an ominous warning, and try as she might, she could not stop the warnings relayed in her nightmares from coming to pass. Now the unintentional leader of a band of survivors from the bloodiest massacre in Equestrian history, Twilight and her friends must learn to cheat death once more. The world beyond Equestria is beckoning them, and they have risen to answer the call.

The Sins of the Past do not forget...
...And they do not forgive.
The Sun has Set.
The Second Divine War has begun.

What type of help am I looking for?: Pre-reader mostly.

Information the reviewer needs in order to review my work: Nothing that I can think of. If you need anything, just PM me and I'll explain it the best I can.

Specific things I want you to focus on: I'm confident about my editing, but I fear my style of writing could be toned some more, and I may need someone on the outside to tell me when to just cut to the chase. I also want you to look over the chapters I've already written.

Other important information: I am a notoriously slow writer, but I may have you check whatever chapter I'm working on in intervals as I write it.

Preferred form of communication: Fimfiction's PM. If we need to, we can use Google Drive, as that's what I use to write.

Title: Robot Unicorn Attack.
Tags: Romance, Tragedy, Comedy, Crossover, Adventure, Alternate Universe.
General Summary/Description: A story is crossover between Robot Unicorn Attack universe and MLP FiM universe and... some more universes.
Information the reviewer needs in order to review your work: This is my first My Little Pony English fanfiction. I wanted to get a pre-reader's opinion before I submit it to the site.
Other important information: At this point, story have been written and there are more than 10000 words. I'm open to criticism and receptive to advice.
Form of communication you want to use with your reviewer: Private Messages would be the most efficient.
I hope my story gets approved. Thank you for you time.

3464155 I'll get to this tomorrow, or perhaps later. But I will get to it.

Title: Sweet Nothings

Tags (clop/gore is a separate tag): Dark, Tragedy, gore (very limited)

General Summary/Description: Sweet Nothings is set in a far-future post-apocalyptic Equestria, and follows the travels of a young pony exiled from his home for murder. It's a story about loss and grief, and the relationship between mother and son.

Information the reviewer needs in order to review your work: This story was originally written as a Fallout Equestria fanfic, but I've attempted to remove it from that niche and make it stand on its own. The characters are 100% OC.

Specific things you want the reviewer to focus on (optional): If you haven't read FOE, that would be ideal, as I'm interested in knowing if the setting I've written stands up on its own. That aside, I'd like to get feedback about the general story construction (make sure that everything that goes on makes sense and is easy to follow), and about the themes and ideas that are explored in the story.

Other important information: The draft of the story is finished at about 53k words. If you'd like to preread it for me, I'll send you a gdocs link. I already have an editor who helps me get all the grammar and punctuation right, so you needn't worry about that so much.

Form of communication you want to use with your reviewer: Email, google talk, and gdocs are ideal.

3545140 I will accept this fic. Just send the link.

FOE means Fallout Equestria, right? Haven't read 'em.

3545890 Link sent in PM. Thanks!

And yes, FOE is Fallout Equestria. And it's honestly not as great as a lot of people might say it is.

I look forward to hearing your feedback.

2149134 A Request For Review
Name: Ruin

Link: Ruin

Length: 6,477 words

A new villain has come to Equestria, intent on destroying it. Princess Twilight returns to Ponyville to meet up with her friends, and attempt to stop the monster.

Tags: Sad, Alternate Universe

Might I request your services?

Title (and link): Night's Light

Tags: Sad

Story Length: 2,608 words

General Summary/Description: An aged Twilight Velvet has been hospitalized for unspecified reasons, and is due to pass away soon. Night Light decides to stay in the hospital with her until that happens. This story only focuses on one specific night of his stay.

Information the reviewer needs in order to review your work: Written as a one-shot. The characters, if you haven't already guessed, are Twilight Sparkle's parents.

Specific things you want the reviewer to focus on: One little tidbit I want to know is if the characters seem fleshed out enough. Twilight Sparkle's parents have been given little to no personality from the show, and I want to know if I did alright in that aspect.

Other important information: While the above concern is a big one, don't let that be your only goal. Any ammunition you find, please fire away.

Form of communication you want to use with your reviewer: Private message on this site, if you please.

2149134 Hey there! Mind taking a look at mine? I'll send you a PM with the link after I post this.

Title: Fallout Equestria: Emergence

Tags: Adventure, Crossover, Dark, Gore (though, not extremely gory or dark so far).
Rating: Mature

General Summary/Description:

The Lightbringer has risen, the Enclave has fallen. Equestria is on the threshold of a new era. This is all very poetic, but KnickKnack is a pony with ambitions and he intends to pursue them. Question is - is he willing to pay the price?

Emergence is a spinoff for Fallout: Equestria, large focus on the changes coming across the Equestrian Wasteland and how the characters are affecting that future, whether they intend to or not.

What type of help are you looking for? Pre-reader or Proof-reader.

Information the reviewer needs in order to review your work:
-I’m looking for editing for what I’ve already written, but if you’re interested in helping me out long-term, that’d be much appreciated. Currently, the story is at about 15,000 words. The finished fic itself will probably be fairly long.
-It’s set in the Fallout: Equestria universe, but if you’re not familiar with Fallout or FoE, that won’t be a problem so long as you’re not put off by it.

Specific things you want the reviewer to focus on: Integral descriptions. Where they’re needed or could be improved, particularly with ponies. As well as that, anything that leaps out and says ‘Whoa, why’d you put this in here?’ I’m also looking for feedback on ideas for things I want to implement in the story that I haven’t locked in yet, largely for way ahead.

Other important information: I’m a somewhat sporadic writer. I don’t write extremely quickly and tend to work in chunks on the weekends. I progressively put updates on GDocs and find it works well to allow people to comment on it.

Form of communication you want to use with your reviewer: FiMFiction PM or G-docs, unless you have a strong preference otherwise.

Title: Final Resting Place
Tags: Sad, Slice of Life
Rating: Everyone
General Summary/Description: Daring Do has had a long and illustrious life. All that waits is to see what sort of legacy her colleagues will bestow upon her.
What type of help are you looking for?: Pre-reading to ensure that the story works alright. I wouldn't mind editing or proofreading if you can spare it either.
Information the reviewer needs in order to review your work: 2200 word one-shot, complete. Also attached the original writeoff draft.
Form of communication you want to use with your reviewer: Fimfiction private messaging.

This can be arranged. However, at the moment there is no acces to your story, not at least via the link you provided. Gdocks offers the most convenient path to this, but fimfic is fine too, as long as you make the story accessible (with a password or something).

Oh, right. I can't figure out how to share unpublished stories on Fimfiction, so here's the GDocs link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QbrVvrEkU-zqZz9jLpvgsxGZsEhHyUYOEu5Ejc7vPso/edit?usp=sharing

Stanku
I am a first time creative writer with a story idea I need to bounce off someone as a prereader since I don't know if I have what it takes to write creatively.

Title: (tentative) Fallout: Equestria - Skyfall

Tags (clop/gore is a separate tag): Dark, Adventure, Crossover, Gore (trying to keep it light and only when necessary)

General Summary/Description: Wind Shear is a loyal soldier in the Enclave army. All he wants is to follow his family tradition of loyal service. All that changes when he is selected for a special mission to the Wasteland. During his mission, he discovers an old secret and things go awry. Marked as an Enclave traitor, will he be able to survive the situation he finds himself thrust into and will he ever be able to return home?

Information the reviewer needs in order to review your work: I read that you really aren't familiar with Fallout Equestria, but I'm not looking for someone who is familiar with the universe, I am mainly looking for someone to determine if my premise seems to be something worth pursuing and doesn't fall into too many cliches or other writing pitfalls. Also, someone to critique my writing style, or even let me know if I shouldn't bother continue.

Specific things you want the reviewer to focus on (optional):

Other important information: As I stated before, I have never written anything that would be called creative (I was a computer science major in college and am a math teacher now) I currently only have the Prologue(about 4k words) and Chapter 1(about 7500 words) written. I would like to get some feedback before I proceed (if I even decide to proceed)

Form of communication you want to use with your reviewer: Gdocs, email, PMs.

Thanks for your consideration.

Title: Photo Dash
Tags(clop/gore is a separate tag): comedy,random, slice of life
Rating(Everyone/Teen/Mature): teen, but depending on how things go, i'll set down to everyone
short desciption:
....What is Photo hiding?....What is Rainbow hiding?....RPAGEABSDUESRDF, EEMV SI'TCIE!

long desciption:

"In fairness, the openers are not in-universe cannon (discord is shown living in Flutter's home, despite three's a crowd implying he lives somewhere else) and the mirror universe converts dragons into dogs and dogs into humans, turning alter egos into serperate enities (like the shadow bolts, an alternate form of nightmare moon) does not seem far off in my opinion, i would like to see a main series where they are both in the same shot in the same scene and is clearly seperate characters in-universe."
-here, on deviant art

Ponies, and in general most everybody, keeps secrets in in form in another, right every one, right? But there is one cyan Pegasus who has a rather surprising secret about the tomboy, but first, you gotta know somethin' 'bout me over here.

*Coughs*

I AM PRINCE ARTSY CANVAS, ALICORN OF THE ARTS AND IMAGINATION AND I WILL SERVE AS THE NARRATOR OF THIS SEMI-BIZARRE ABOUT RAINBOW DASH AND HER BIZARRE FASHIONISTA SECRETS!!!

Now moving on with our tale....What is Photo hiding?....What is Rainbow hiding?....RPAGEABSDUESRDF, EEMV SI'TCIE!

based on a personal headcannon of mine, with the above comment being a argument of why it's still the case and possibly canon. My oc, Artsy Canvas will serve as the narrator, as he did for my early proto-fics

p.s., i would like to have some prereaders to help me on these
Also a side story of my Our Little Fairy Tale (Horror Story) series of fanfics and the first of a trilogy that leads up to Our Little Fairy Tale (Horror Story), the first of the series
the cover art is the image from the deviant art page link from above
Disclaimer: (insert standard licensing disclaimer here)...and Constructive criticism is the best criticism, all other criticisms are, above all, pointless of fixing the issues and thus will be considered useless and will be deleted, the only reason i bothered writing this is that they are not any other fanfics where Photo Finish is a stage name for Rainbow Dash, but recommendations with this headcanon as a plot element are welcome, as long as you put the link in the comment.

Information the reviewer needs in order to review your work: at first, it just seemed like another of my several attempts to make a good story, but now it seems i am getting more likes then expected, but i need some constructive criticism for help, and i think you can provide it.
(Also, I'll be working with many pre-readers and editors if I can.)
Specific things you want the reviewer to focus on (optional): More than anything right now, I want to know which scenes worked, which didn't, and how you feel as you read through it.
Other important information: about 5000 words, one-shot, complete (though I'll probably make a sequel for it some day)
Form of communication you want to use with your reviewer: Fimfic emails and comments.
I can load it into gdocs ,as their is not a version of this tale in that form, whichever's easier for you. or you can just read it on fimfic, it isn't hard to use the search bar.

Folks

Just thought I'd leave a little recommendation for Stanku.

I haven't been working with him for long, but I can honestly say that I've been very impressed with everything I've seen so far.

As a new fic writer, I was nervous about opening my writing to a stranger, but he has helped me to alleviate these concerns. He is supportive and patient, answering many of the questions I have had just about how things work and what is considered "proper". This has helped calm my nerves immensely.

In terms of the recommendations he makes, he responds to things in a timely manner with very thoughtful feedback. He has helped me learn, in just a short amount of time, many mistakes I was making and things that would improve my writing overall. His feedback is also very appropriate and he doesn't judge, just constructively critiques.

I know that when I send him some new work, I don't have to worry about what I will get back.

I highly recommend him for anyone needing pre-reader services.

Title:Urban Hyena: Chapter I Cracked Asphalt

Tags: [Dark] (unfortunately, I only have one chapter done so far, so I can't think of other tags)

Story Length: 5,113 words

General Summary/Description: The story is planned to be a police procedural, and follows members from a metropolitan police station. Currently the first chapter has only dealt with a single character, and their personnel views on everything. The character in question is a depressed low ranking constable who has periodic suicidal fantasies. They tend to view the world as a despicable place, and has nothing but disdain for the residents. The first chapter is essentially going through their morning routine.

Information the reviewer needs in order to review your work: This story is pretty much set in a ponified 1980's.

Specific things you want the reviewer to focus on: I want your opinion on how the story flows with itself, and how well it grasps your attention. Also, if it's entertaining to read.

Form of communication you want to use with your reviewer: Personal messaging me on Fimfiction is the best way to contact me.

Thank you for your services!

Title: For Those We Love

Tags: Sad, Adventure

Rating: Everyone

General Summary/Description: After Tirek's defeat at the hooves of Twilight Sparkle, Shining Armor is bothered by the fact that it has fallen to his sister to save his wife once again. Deciding that enough is enough he goes on a journey to obtain the Alicorn Amulet, in hopes that with it's power, he can brave the next threat and defend his wife. The problem is, he isn't the only one with designs for the amulet.....

What type of help are you looking for?: A pre-reading of the second chapter (4,913 words long). Primarily, does it draw in the reader and make you want to keep reading and if I'm showing and not telling. I struggle with this as I mostly write research and report essays along with military memorandums, which to say the least, are not good breeding grounds for creative writing practices. Past that, any thoughts, comments or suggestions you want to share are welcome. I can't grow without feedback.

Information the reviewer needs in order to review your work: Here's a link to the GDoc

Form of communication you want to use with your reviewer: Fimfiction private messaging, leaving comments in the Google Doc.

If you are available and willing, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hey here's my story if you're interested.

Title: We Need A Hero

Tags: Sad, Dark, Adventure

Ratings: Teen (Might move to M)

Description: An adventure fic that follows Twilight after she is thrown back in time to an Equestria when Discord and Sombra are both still in power.

I am looking for a prefreader and editor. An editor would be great but I would mainly like to hear feed back on the story itself (pacing, plot, and etc).

2149134 Title: Fallout Equestria: The Bodies We Leave Below

Tags: Adventure, Crossover, Dark, Sex, Gore

General Summary/Description: Skiff, a skytank gunner in the Grand Pegasus Enclave, gets a taste for war in the opening events of Operation Cauterize.

Plot Summary: Skiff, heading to a hotel after a day of shore leave gets it on (*giggity*) with his superior. The next day Littlepip sets off the Maripony Megaspell, essentially kickstarting the war with the Enclave. After getting their orders, Skiff and company get into the thick of it during the battle for the citadel, and are shot down. After crashing, there's some close quarters fighting, and he escapes.

Information the reviewer needs in order to review your work: One shot. Rough draft is currently finished at ~10,300 words. It contains a scene of clop and a few bits of descriptive gore here and there.

Specific things you want the reviewer to focus on (optional): Grammatically I'm pretty good. Most of what I'm looking for is help with flow and scene development, as well as overall opinions and pre-reader stuff.

Other important information: *le shrug* :applejackunsure:

Form of communication you want to use with your reviewer: Here's a GDocs link to the view only version. If you're interested, shoot me a PM of your ideal email and I'll share the doc with you.

:trollestia:

2149134 Title: Hunters: Missions of Peace

Tags (clop/gore is a separate tag): Adventure, Human, AU, Dark(later), Romance(later)

Rating: Teen

General Summary/Description:Long ago an ancient war threatened to consume the world in fire. From the flames stepped forth a Great Mage who sought to bring peace to the land. Before they could finish this crusade they perished. Planning for their death they helped establish schools to carry on their will. Now schools teach students in the ways of the Great Mage. From one of these schools a studious mage and a hot head half fiend must complete their training to do their part in saving the world. Will they succeed? Or will they be consumed in fire?

Information the reviewer needs in order to review your work: It is not complete, I do not write it solo(I have a few co writers and am usually keeping an eye out for others just in case). I can't think of anything else.

Specific things you want the reviewer to focus on (optional): Nothing I can think of at the moment....

Other important information: It's heavily inspired by anime.

Form of communication you want to use with your reviewer: Skype, but I also am fine with PMs

5470319 Thanks for the fic! As is though, I cannot promise I can manage to dedicate enough time for reading it. I'll take a look at it in the near-future, let you know if it strikes me as a must-read.

Title: Can You Run Forever?(Can't leave a link here, because of the rules, but PM me if you want a quick look, and I'll send you the link.)

Tags(clop/gore is a separate tag): Gore, Alternate Universe, Equestria Girls, Horror, Mystery, Romance,(Might have a sex tag in a later chapter((Though I haven't fully decided yet.)

Rating(Everyone/Teen/Mature): Mature

Character: Sunset, Flash. The Main Six, Others and OCs.

General Summary/Description: Sunset has had a good life with all her friends, she even gotten back with Flash. But as her first year of college begins she finds herself under attack from terrifying nightmares. Horror and things that simply not meant to be. She tries to get past them, but soon she realized that they could possibly be warnings from Equestria. If Equestria is in danger, what can she possibly do? Can she really abandon her good life to go save Equestria? Or can she ignore and run from the possibility that Equestria is in danger?

What type of help are you looking for? (Proof-reader/Pre-reader/Editor): Proofreading. Possibly some editing, though maybe not.

Information the reviewer needs in order to review your work: The Story is going to be around 10 -12 chapters and with 2,000-4,000 on word count for each chapter. The first chapter is currently done. Also this story is connect to some of my other stories. You don't need to worry about the other stories, just that some OCs from other stories will show up in this one.

Specific things you want the reviewer to focus on (optional): grammar and wording and the way I phrase my sentences

Other important information: I'm free most of the week, the only days I am busy are Wednesdays and Fridays, though I usually get done with work around 9:00 pm central. And I am usually up most of the night, sometimes till morning.

Form of communication you want to use with your reviewer: Pm me will be fine.

5570233 Thanks for contacting me. However, at the moment I'm unable to take on new fics for reading.

5570251 Oh damn. When will you be free? Because I don't plan to post the first chapter until Halloween.

5570283 Unfortunately I predict Halloween won't cut it either. Maybe after/during Christmas I could dedicate time for prereading again. I do like it, but as is other things outweight the enjoyment.

5570614 A shame. This story will most likely be completely by then. Do you know of anypony else who would be willing to handle my story. I find it so hard to find a proofreader who doesn't mind doing something dark. Especially when gore is involved.

5570644 I don't know any myself, but there's bound to be a few around.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 36