School for New Writers 5,015 members · 9,689 stories
Comments ( 67 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 67
Goldenwing
Group Admin

Right here. Click on this and read it all, top to bottom, bottom to top.

If you get nothing else from that thread, just remember that students are not allowed to start threads without permission. Any illegal threads will be locked and deleted within 24 hours. The School For New Writer's is not a place for you to come and ask for editors or proofreaders, or to advertise your story; there are other groups for these purposes. If you have any questions which can't be answered in one of our many lectures, then please ask them in the Study Hall, where a professor will answer it as soon as they can come up with a good answer.

Thank you.

Goldenwing
Group Admin

Bump. Because read the rules.

Would it be possible to create and sticky a "Lecture Request" thread? If only to have Students cease posting threads such as

http://www.fimfiction.net/group/916/school-for-new-writers/thread/186128/what-is-a-good-way-to-write-a-fight-scene

http://www.fimfiction.net/group/916/school-for-new-writers/thread/184364/substitute-aka-guest-lecture-designing-ocs

and other, presumably deleted threads?

Could call it Approach the Desk or something of the like.

Goldenwing
Group Admin

We already have that.

Worse still is the fact that most of these questions are already answered in lectures we have. Both of your examples are covered explicitly in two of our older lectures, actually.

And the OC one was actually approved by someone, so we're not gonna just up and take it down now.

Also, I've decided I'm going to post here every time I lock an illegal thread. Maybe then people will start to figure it out.

Goldenwing
Group Admin

Bump because you didn't read the rules. Yes, you. You specifically did not read the rules. Go read them.

Goldenwing
Group Admin

Well then I probably wasn't talking to you, was I?

Goldenwing
Group Admin

Read the rules, you must!

Goldenwing
Group Admin

So yeah, how about those rules?

Cryosite
Group Contributor

Based on the comment made by this guy in a thread (which I won't bother linking to, because it will be deleted), I've gone ahead and made a template. If you're a student, like me, and see someone post a thread without permission, this would be the most helpful response you could give.

http://www.fimfiction.net/group/916/school-for-new-writers/thread/15226/meta-rules-guidelines-and-rubrics#comment/902643 [quote]FOR STUDENTS You aren't (usually) allowed to post your own threads, and must first ask permission from an Admin. If you have received that permission, then post your thread with the appropriately formatted tags and modifiers, and include "Guest Speaker" in quotes behind the threads title.[/quote] http://www.fimfiction.net/group/916/school-for-new-writers/thread/150166/meta-school-directory Here is a directory of current lectures. You should check here to see if your topic has already been covered. Has it not been covered or you have additional questions? http://www.fimfiction.net/group/916/school-for-new-writers/thread/149776/general-study-hall [quote]If you have a question specific to you, or which isn't answered in a lecture, then this is the place to post it! A professor will be along shortly to give you an individualized answer.[/quote] http://www.fimfiction.net/group/916/school-for-new-writers/thread/149780/general-suggestion-box [quote]Have a great idea for a lecture? Looking for information on a topic but unable to find anything in the archives? Scribble out an idea and place it in our suggestion box here! If a professor stops by, he may take you up on your suggestion and write a relevant lecture on the subject! Please refrain from holding conversations here; stay on topic![/quote] An admin will be by shortly to lock your inappropriate topic, which will then be deleted within 24 hours.

Goldenwing
Group Admin

Obligatory read the rules. Gotta say though, you guys are getting better!

If only I could give you more than the 1st place trophy in my heart.

Piquo Pie
Group Contributor

Have you tried to add a smile to your avatar?

Goldenwing
Group Admin

Don't be ridiculous. If I was smiling how could I frown sternly down upon my students?

Piquo Pie
Group Contributor

In disappointment.

But Pinkie Pie demands a smile!

Goldenwing
Group Admin

An engineer, a computer scientist, and a SFNW admin walk into a bar.
"Stop posting illegal threads," the admin says.

His two comrades and the bartender all nod their heads appreciatively. They party the night away.

The frown must stay, at all times. You can't let them think you approve, else they start to grow complacent, start getting ideas... ridiculous ideas.
The educational institution does not have time to make exceptions!

4622026 Actual picture of a SFNW admin's face when an illegal thread shows up?

Goldenwing
Group Admin

Honestly, at this point that's fairly accurate.
The real question is, what am I going to do with this?

Sorry about the thread yesterday. I think i got this group confused with a different one. Reading rules has intensified!

PiercingSight
Group Admin

Either A: Keep it for future generations, or B: Make a rules thread for dummies and put this in it.

What if I don't wanna read the rules?

4623796 It would be like stepping in a mine field blind-folded.

Goldenwing
Group Admin

Didn't you see what happened to Pinkie Pie?

Didn't you see what happened to Pinkie Pie?

Didn't you see!?

Yep, I did:rainbowkiss:

Goldenwing
Group Admin

My students speak the prophecy of my coming, and so I arrive.

TIME FOR THE MANE ATTRACTION
THE THREADS MUST BE LOCKED
TIME FOR A CHAIN REACTION
IT NEVER GETS OLD

Some profs get satisfication
Lec-tur-ing you
Some mods are just distraction
Some mods are just Gold

:flutterrage:

I'm not the bad guy
I'm just a bit strict
It's not worth losing sleep
It's not worth analyzing

There was a time, not
So long ago at all
The forums had no order
Can you hear the call?

Now I'm popping in over here, over there
I'll be checking in, but you'll never be aware
From now on I'll be keeping a keen eye
on the state of affairs with the new guys

Now I got a new gig, Lemme know if ya dig,
Ain't goin' home so I better go big
Just gotta glance at the forums
Then you get a little surprise...
IT'S ME

You may say that I'm limiting you
In my opinion, you're much too kind...

TIME FOR THE MANE ATTRACTION
THE THREAD MUST BE LOCKED
TIME FOR A CHAIN REACTION
IT NEVER GETS OLD
SOME PROFS GET SATISFACTION
LEC-TUR-ING YOU
SOME MODS ARE JUST DISTRACTIONS
SOME MODS ARE JUST GOLD.

You did a good job
Skipping that rule thread
It warms my heart and hoodie
To hear some fresh screams

But don't get me wrong!
You were very brave
When faced with friendly joking
Professors, you never caved.

I'm finished training
Done explaining
No more posts are left remaining
Now you know the gist of it
You're a perfect fit!
I don't wanna hear no more complaining!

I'm passing down this golden rule
Eternal thread-locked priority
Take it with pride,
And enjoy the ride
You'll forever be a part of this community

You may say that it's all in your mind,
But in the end, I think that you will find...

YOU ARE THE MANE ATTRACTION
YOUR THREAD MUST BE LOCKED
YOU ARE A CHAIN REACTION
THAT NEVER GETS OLD
SOME PROFS GET SATISFACTION
LEC-TUR-ING YOU
SOME MODS ARE JUST DISTRACTIONS
SOME MODS ARE JUST GOLD.

i wonder how many times this will happen:duck:

Depends on how old Goldenwing is and what gender/sex that person is. Also depends on health and how much lub is used.

Goldenwing
Group Admin

I don't think the joke really has the stamina to go another round. Maybe I could parody another song, though...

Well hello, Mr. Politically Correctest.

4641928 Don't misunderstand me... Not Politically Mr Corectass I am. Just your neighborhood dick who has interest in the hard Science of Words. And soft science. And how to make it hard again. Misinformation and ignorance is the bad touch I avoid. If my nose is too brown for you, I'll make an effort to clean my face off before I come to class.

In all seriousness, audio and visual aids are helpful to get the point in there.

Goldenwing
Group Admin

Been awhile, but it looks like we're in need of another reminder to read the rules bloody hell.

5118779 I'm honestly impressed that it's been 30 weeks since the last time you reminded us here

Goldenwing
Group Admin

Thought ya could slip one by me, didn't ya? Thought ol' Golden wouldn't see yer illegal thread just 'cause you deleted it within an hour? Well ya thought wrong! Nothin' slips past me watchful gaze!

I may not have struck you down myself, trespasser, but be warned! For when you make your next offense... I will be watching!

Y'know, so was I. Almost got a little bored on my stern watch.

Hello and welcome. I didn't make the comic myself. Funny enough, it actually was posted in an illegal thread. Of course I had to destroy it because that is the way of things, but the comic was precious to me. I saved it here as a reminder for future students.

Welcome to the glorious and perverted land of horse words. Read our lectures and jumpstart your psuedo-career!

5125785 Ya know, you're looking quite a bit more yellow than I remember. are you sick from the lack of rulebreakers?

Goldenwing
Group Admin

I admit that it can get pretty boring when nobody breaks them.

So boring that I'm not going to wait for the next one to post this.

Goldenwing
Group Admin

>Mfw another mod cleans up an illegal thread before I get to it.

Read the rules, kids.

5189441 Chin up, you'll get 'em next time! :rainbowdetermined2:

Goldenwing
Group Admin

Look here, I don't know if there's been any illegal threads lately cause admittedly I've been abit distracted. But I see that Dark pinned a thread to remind people to not post illegal threads and, well, I can't let him beat me at my own game.

So.

Read the rules.

Goldenwing
Group Admin

Read the rules.

Yikes, ban hammer in under 15 minutes? That's an academy record!

Goldenwing
Group Admin

>Tfw I see an illegal thread and reach for the delete button.

Read the rules! Students don't post threads!

Goldenwing
Group Admin

>Tfw people keep posting illegal threads.

Goldenwing
Group Admin

The reaction force in the event of an illegal thread has really begun to operate as a well-oiled tool. For this last thread I had an operative sending me a notification of the anomaly on Discord, and another that had already locked it by the time I arrived. I didn't even have to delete it myself. I barely had to get up out of bed.

Read the rules.

Cryosite
Group Contributor

It looks like the admins and professors have posted only 1 thread in the past 3 years. I think that rule needs reconsideration.

That's not how this or any other well-run forums works. You don't need new threads unless those threads contain quality information. There is zero acceptable reason for someone to ask a question about site rules here when they can just look at the site rules and read. There is zero acceptable reason for someone to ask some question that has already been answered in the forum, and which they could learn from just by reading.

Making new threads because you're too lazy to search is a plague on this site already. Making new threads just to make "activity" in a group is another plague. If you want real-time socialization, find a chatroom. That's not what forums are for. Nobody cares about your idle chatter hours after you have it, let alone weeks, months, or years later. Forum threads are a persistent conversation medium and work better with less threads to dig through.

Have the rules for grammar, writing stories, and so on changed in the last three years? Nope. Not enough to invalidate any lectures.

Goldenwing
Group Admin

We do also have a Discord, by the way, which is a major reason that the forums have been inactive. We've been doing a lot of our teaching in that Discord with live chat and less so through forum posts and lectures.

Also, read the rules! I actually just locked my last illegal thread, as I'll be stepping down and simply living my life as an individual that likes to tutor people every now and then. Anyone who wishes to ask me questions about writing or, really, anything, may feel free to join My Discord Channel.

That'll be all.

Goldenwing
Group Admin

I'm back, boys!

Read the damn rules. Seriously, I look away for a month or two and we're starting to get upstarts again.

Goldenwing
Group Admin

Read the rules, kids. Thanks to master for posting a pic so I don't have to find something clever myself.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 67