• Published 6th May 2013
  • 17,764 Views, 1,472 Comments

Voidrunner - The DM



Colonizing space is never easy nor is it ever predictable. Each planet presents it's own challenges and it's own rewards.

  • ...
62
 1,472
 17,764

May 7th, 2559

//Begin Personal Log

//

//May 7th, 2559

//

//19:33 Local Time

//

Well, today has been... odd. Today we learned just what other kind of creatures are native to this world. The example for today was a hydra. I don’t even know how to describe what I saw. The hydra had nine heads and was covered in what looked like scales. Now this was terrifying in and of it’s own. Things got even stranger when a purple unicorn levitated the hyrda and made it disappear with some kind of magical teleportation. Perhaps I should write a bit about our new acquaintances.

First we have Rainbow Dash, who I mentioned in my previous log. Then we have an orange earth pony named Applejack, she’s a local apple farmer. Next was a white unicorn named Rarity, she works as a fashion designer in Ponyville. Then a yellow pegasus named Fluttershy, I’m not entirely sure what she does since she mostly spent her time cowering behind Applejack. Next was a pink earth pony named Pinkie Pie. Now Pinkie was something else entirely. She seemed like she had a constant flow of meth going straight into her blood. I’m really not sure what to think about her. Finally we have Twilight Sparkle, or should I say Princess Twilight Sparkle. Yeah... Princess. The purple unicorn turned out to actually be a different mythological creature known as an alicorn. Essentially a unicorn with wings.

Thankfully everyone stayed calm and collected during our meeting below the Tuscany. It was also wildly convenient having a member of the ruling body show up on my doorstep. We talked for about an hour on various things. I told them a bit about humanity, nothing sensitive or restricted. Just some general information on our species. Twilight was easily the most interested in learning about us. There were a few questions that I couldn’t answer; things like the location of our home world and the finer points of our technology. She was very understanding and did not press for more information.

Twilight then gave me some general info on Equstria and even lent me the books she had given to Dash. We had a pleasant talk, the others had gone home after about ten minutes. Eventually Twilight needed to go home as well, but not before promising that she would speak to the other princesses about our presence and our intentions. All I was able to tell Twilight was that we were on a mission of exploration, until I have clearance from ONI, I can’t tell them any more than that.

More information on the encounter can be found in After Action Report 5759-04-EQ

Speaking of ONI, I have a call to make.

//End Log

Captain Ryan leaned back in his chair as he closed his log. It had been a very long and intense day. However, he had made great headway in establishing a sense of diplomatic relations with the ponies. His next task was to inform the ONI director about what had happened. The captain looked out the window into the evening sky. The lights from the capital provided a beautiful glow that contrasted the evening sky. He then looked back at his computer and contemplated the impending call. With a deep sigh, he leaned forward and dialed ONI on his secure channel.

“Office of Naval Intelligence, how may I help you?”

“This is Captain Daniel Ryan calling for the Director. Authorization code sierra-zulu-tango seven seven nine.”

“Transferring.”

The Captain waited as his call was transferred to the director. He opened his after action reports and made them ready to transmit. Soon his screen came to life as the Director’s face came into view.

“Captain Ryan, glad to see you’re alright. I take it you reached your destination safely?”

“Yes director. However, we hit a snag.”

“What kind of snag?”

Daniel sighed and the director frowned slightly. “You might want to get comfortable, this is gonna take a while.”

For the next half hour, Captain Ryan retold the past few days on Equestria. He then sent his official reports for the Director to read. The two men sat in silence as the reports were read. Eventually Director Burr looked back at Daniel.

“Well Daniel, this is... quite the situation. I can’t say I really agree with your decisions, however, the circumstances were less than favorable. I do have a few questions though.”

“Go ahead.”

“Alright, when your ship fell out of slipspace and began to fall to the planet, why did you not try to change course?”

“We encountered a strong gravitational anomaly which caused our slipspace wormhole to collapse. The resulting collapse caused our primary propulsion to cut out.”

“But you were able to safely land.”

“Yes sir, we came in under auxiliary power and a glide.”

“I see. Now lets discuss your blatant disregard for first contact protocol. Your reports say you had a midair collision with one of the locals.”

“Yes sir.”

“Then you rendered medical treatment to said local.”

“That is correct.”

“Did your medical staff follow proper decontamination protocol?”

“Of course sir.”

“And was a proper security detail provided?”

“...No sir.”

“And why was that?”

“It was an oversight on my part sir.”

“I see. Well Captain, you should count yourself lucky that your guest didn’t turn out to be hostile.”

“Yes sir.”

The Director then rubbed his temples and sighed.

“I’m not gonna sugar coat this, Ryan. Your situation is bad. However, you are going to be the one to fix it.”

“Sir?”

“You heard me Captain. Now, tell me what you think about these ponies.”

“Well, I don’t have a lot to tell that wasn't included in the after action reports.”

“You said you have gained an audience with the other rulers?”

“Yes sir. My meeting is tomorrow afternoon at fifteen hundred hours.”

“Alright. I’m going to grant you temporary approval for a diplomatic mission.”

The Captain’s eyes went wide with surprise.

“I don’t need to remind you, this is the first alien civilization that we have encountered since the Covenant. And honestly, it would do wonders to morale if we secured relations with a peaceful alien world.”

“It would be a first.” The Captain grumbled quietly.

“Exactly. So, as long as you play this next hand by the book then I might make this planet your responsibility.”

“Uhh... what?”

“Normally I would order you to leave the planet immediately and either continue your mission or return to Reach for a court martial. However, the potential for colonization and the added potential of gaining a friendly alien ally is too much to pass up.”

“I’m still not sure why you want me to do this. Just a few minutes ago you were reprimanding me for failure to follow protocol.”

“As I stated before, morale across the fleet and among our surviving worlds is quite low. Many people are living in fear of another alien invasion, especially after the attack on New Phoenix. So, here’s what I need you to do. I want you to try and secure a diplomatic ally among the Equestrians. People need to see that not all aliens are bloodthirsty killers. We don't want to develop a culture of extreme xenophobia.”

“So you want me to become their friend.”

“Exactly. Be their friend. Show them the best humanity has to offer.”

“My mission is to make friends with talking, colorful, ponies?”

The Director laughed. “Yup. Never thought you would hear that, did ya?”

“Not a fucking chance. Question, can I inform my crew of their new mission?”

“Of course. All I ask is that you update me weekly with your progress.”

“Okay, weekly friendship progress reports. Check. Anything else?”

“That’s enough for now.”

“Alright, I’ll call you at the end of the week with updates.”

“I can’t wait to hear your reports.”

“Oh, before you go. Can I put in for an equipment request?”

“What kind?”

“Engineering needs a new induction coil.”

“I’ll see what I can do. We will need to find a way to navigate around the anomaly before I send more ships your way.”

“Understood.”

“Stay safe Captain.”

“You too Director.”

The video feed then blinked off as the connection ended. In less than an hour Captain Ryan had been reprimanded by his superiors, interrogated on his actions, and then given a new mission in Equestria.

“Tommy?”

The AI materialized on the corner of the Captain’s desk. “Yes sir?”

“I need to make an all hands announcement.”

“Aye sir. Comm’s open.”

“Attention all hands, this is the Captain. I have just spoken with ONI and they have decided to change our mission parameters. We are no longer strictly on a mission of exploration, but rather a mission of diplomacy. No doubt you have all heard that we made contact with a native species. The Director wants us to open up diplomatic talks with the ponies. He and I both agree that this will be beneficial to both civilizations. I just want you all to know that we will be meeting with the rulers of this nation tomorrow afternoon. Just know, that regardless of how tomorrow goes, I am proud of each and every one of you. I can’t imagine a better crew to serve with.”

“So, I take it the Director isn’t going to hand you a court martial?” The AI asked sarcastically.

“No, he wants me to go make friends instead.”

“Quite the change in pace after wartime.”

“Yeah. A nice change though. I’m almost tempted to leave my sidearm at home.”

The AI just glared at Daniel.

“What? I said almost.”

“Sir, let me just add that I won’t let you leave the ship again without a sidearm.”

“Yes mom... Also, have you made any headway on the books?”

“I have. It took some time to establish how their alphabet works but I managed to figure it out. I am currently digitizing a book on Equestrian history.”

“Seeing anything interesting?”

“Things you wouldn’t believe, sir.”

“Alright, I’ll take a look tomorrow.”

The AI nodded and disappeared from view. There was much on the young Captain’s mind, but the most prevalent thing was the need for dinner. With nothing more to do, he got up and walked down to the galley.

~~~

The next morning came as the sun once again barely shone through the tinted windows of the Tuscany. The Captain wanted nothing more than to roll over and go back to bed, but today was going to be a big day. Today was his meeting with Princess Celestia and Luna. The two of them would ultimately decide his fate on their world.

These thoughts followed him as he got his breakfast from the galley. He had hours before meeting Twilight and heading to Canterlot. Most of his time that day was spent in engineering with Andrew Traxus. The two of them were reviewing the repairs being made on the engines and other propulsion systems.

“So Andrew, do you have any idea what caused this damage?”

“As my report said, there was a substantial electromagnetic feedback from the collapsing wormhole that caused a system overload in the engines and reactor.”

“And that’s why the induction coil needs to be replaced?”

“Bingo. We also had to manually reset the reactor after safety systems scrammed it.”

“But there was no radiation leakage, right?”

“Right. The reactor shut down before any radiation leaked.”

“Well that’s good to hear. How much longer until we can get full functionality?”

“When can you get me a new coil?”

“As soon as the guys in astrophysics can figure out a way to navigate the abnormal gravity well around the planet.”

“Well then, once I have the part; three days.”

“Alright. I’ll go press the physics lab for answers.”

With five hours until his meeting, Captain Ryan headed across the ship to the astrophysics lab. Standing outside the door to the lab, he could hear and feel the bass of loud music coming from within. He braced himself to enter the lab before stepping forward, triggering the automatic doors.

Captain Ryan was instantly met by a pressure wave as the doors slid open. He quickly stepped inside, allowing the doors to close.

“Doctor Micham!”

There was no response from the female scientist as she moved to the beat of the heavy electronica. She was entranced in both her work and her music. The other lab techs wore heavy earmuffs as they worked.

“Doctor Micham!” The Captain yelled only feet away from her. His words fell on deaf ears as the music continued to overpower him. He then reached over her shoulder and pressed the pause button on her console, causing the music to stop abruptly.

Doctor Micham quickly spun around, nearly smacking into the Captain’s face.

“Oh, sorry sir. Didn’t hear you come in.” She said in a slightly bubbly voice.

“No shit. I felt the pressure wave through the blast doors.”

“Yeah, pretty sweet isn’t it. So what’s up?”

“I wanted to know if you could tell me anything about our local gravity well.”

“You bet! This place is fucking amazing! Did you know that their star orbits the planet?”

“Wait a sec... it actually does?”

“Ya huh! There has never been a case of this kind of phenomenon existing. It defies the standard model of astrophysics!”

“That’s great Debbie, but what is causing the gravity anomaly?”

“Oh that? That is a result of the star orbiting the planet. While the star orbits the planet, it still weighs the same as a typical star.”

“So the star’s gravity well is moving rapidly around the planet?”

“Exactly!”

“Okay then, can you figure out a way to get around it?”

“Already did! It’s simple really, as long as you slip in behind the moon, you're fine.”

“Great.” Daniel then looked at the seven technicians who were sitting at their stations, still wearing earmuffs. “Why don’t you turn down your music, I’m sure your techs would thank you.”

Debbie’s eyes went wide with shock. “How can you say something like that?! If you can’t feel the music shaking your bones, why play it at all? You of all people should know that!”

“Yeah, but when I play my guitar I don’t have the volume at eleven.”

“Pffft, volume at eleven. My rig goes up to fifteen.”

Daniel just stared at her slack jawed. “You know what, fine. Just don’t let me hear that your techs need corrective surgery for their hearing.”

Doctor Micham just laughed as she turned around and reached for the play button. Daniel then sprinted out of the lab before the music could damage his hearing further. He regathered his senses before making his way to the ship's bridge. There were a few reports waiting for him. Microbiology had found some interesting forms of bacteria in local soil samples. Meteorology was completely in rage over how the ponies seemed to be able to make their own weather and then manipulate it by hoof. The Xenobiology lab was pouring over the texts that Twilight had brought. They included a seven page list of all the species that were named in the book. The Captain just skimmed over the list, intent on reading it later.

Eventually the time came for him to meet with the Princesses. He had showered and was wearing a more formal uniform as opposed to his usual grey working uniform. It was a composed of a white pressed jacket and pants. His black dress boots were polished to a reflective shine and his hat was just as well kept. The entire uniform was very similar to the uniform of twenty first century naval officers. He made sure to pick up his comm unit, lest he be unable to communicate during his first diplomatic meeting.

He didn’t have to wait long for Tommy to appear in his cabin.

“Sir, we have a new radar contact heading for the ship.”

“Point of origin?”

“Judging by its current course I can guess that it came from the capital.”

“Alright. When they get within visual range go ahead and drop the cloak.”

“Aye sir.”

Captain Ryan began to make his way down to the hangar bay where he would disembark and meet his ride to Canterlot. It took only a few minutes for his ride to arrive at the ship. He stood under the bow of the Tuscany, patiently waiting. In front of him landed a covered carriage pulled by two pegasi covered in gold armor. It was an impressive display. Inside sat Twilight, her face lighting up as she spotted Daniel. Her horn lit up as the door to the carriage swung open.

“Good afternoon Captain Ryan. Are you ready to go?”

“Indeed I am.” He made his way to the carriage and climbed aboard, closing the door behind him. The pegasi pulling the carriage began running before quickly taking to the sky.

Commander Zerom and Commander Dior stood on the bridge at the display table, watching the carriage speed off toward the mountain city.

“So, Dior, is your team in position to extract him if this goes tits-up?”

“Yeah. I like to think he knows what he’s doing.”

“So do I, but I like to have a plan for the worst.”

“He took a handgun with him, right?”

“Yeah, word is Tommy wouldn’t let him off the ship if he didn’t take a sidearm.”

The SPARTAN laughed. “Sounds like Tommy.”

~~~

The ride to Canterlot took only twenty minutes. All along the way, Twilight was pointing out significant landmarks and places she and her friends had been. He was fascinated with how pristine the countryside looked. During the war he had become accustomed to seeing barren and scorched earth. Seeing such lush and green fields was a gratifying feeling. Soon their flight was over as the carriage landed in front of a massive castle. Captain Ryan was speechless as he and Twilight climber out of the carriage and walked through the courtyard of the massive fortress. All around the courtyard, and high on the walls, guards in golden armor stood guard. At the massive wooden doors stood three ponies. Two of them looked like normal guards while the unicorn in the middle was slightly larger than the two pegasi who flanked him. He wore purple and gold armor and held an air of total authority.

Captain Ryan did his best to remain calm under the gaze of this very intimidating unicorn. As Twilight led him to the doors, the three guards moved to intercept them.

“Shining!” Twilight bounded forward and quickly nuzzled the large stallion.

“Hey Twiley.” Shining Armor couldn’t help but return the gesture to his younger sister. The guard captain then glanced up and made eye contact with the lone human. “And this must be Captain Ryan.”

“Yup. Captain Ryan, this is my brother and guard captain, Shining Armor.”

“A pleasure to meet you Captain Ryan.” Shining walked forward and extended a hoof to the human.

“Thank you Captain Armor. It’s a pleasure to be here.” Daniel met the unicorn’s gesture and shook his hoof once.

The group then moved inside the castle. Daniel was met with a massive hallway of magnificent stained glass windows. Each seemed to tell a story that escaped the his understanding. He followed the group to another set of massive double doors before coming to a halt. Outside was another pair of pegasi guards. Daniel was starting to notice something strange, every guard seemed to have the exact same coat color. He found it odd and made a point to ask about it later.

The group then walked through the massive double doors, revealing the two ponies waiting in similar thrones. The two alicorn princesses sat in their regal attire as the group entered the throne room. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna both looked upon the human in the room with interest and curiosity. Daniel stopped as he approached the stairs leading up to the thrones. He stood at a parade rest until the two alicorns addressed him.

Celestia spoke first. “Hello Captain Ryan. I am Princess Celestia, and this is my sister, Princess Luna.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you both, ma’am.”

“Twilight here has told us a great deal about you. I must say, I was skeptical at first, but that view is quickly fading. As you can imagine I do have a few questions for you.”

“I will do my best to answer them ma’am.”

“I know you will. First off, how long have you been in our nation?”

“This will be the third day, ma’am.”

Celestia chuckled. “You don’t need to call me ma’am, it makes me feel old. You may simply call me Celestia”

“I apologize. I can honestly say I am a bit nervous.”

“Try to relax Captain Ryan. You have done nothing wrong."

Daniel took a deep breath and tried to relax his stance. He was finding it very difficult.

"Perhaps we should conduct this in a less formal setting. Would you be okay with that Captain?”

"I have no objections."

"Excellent. Please follow me."

The group, now including both princesses, moved from the throne room to a room that looked more like a large living room. There was a half circle of couches with a small coffee table in the middle. Celestia and Luna sat next to each other on one couch. Shining and Twilight sat in the middle, While Daniel sat across from Celestia and Luna.

“So Captain, you said you have been here for three days. I am curious as to what brought your people here?” Celestia asked in a soothing and calm voice.

“My crew and I were on a mission of exploration. We were searching for new planets to colonize.” Daniel responded, his voice slightly less stressed as he slowly allowed himself to relax into the couch.

“I see. And you believed that this planet would be a good candidate for your mission?”

“Yes. My ship was sent to investigate the possibility.”

Luna then spoke up. “Did you know, or even suspect, that there might be life on the planet?”

“No ma’am. We were not expecting this.”

“And just how many of you are there?”

“In total, or on this world?”

“On this world.”

“Ninety including myself.” Luna thought for a moment before beginning a new line of questioning.

“What I am most curious about is how you managed to travel through the stars.”

“We used an advanced spacecraft.”

“So your species has mastered spaceflight?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Interesting.”

Celestia then took over. “I take it that you have superiors in your organization?”

“Yes, the Director of the Office of Naval Intelligence oversees all naval activity.”

“And what does your Director think of your situation?”

“I can only say that he is not pleased that our ship has been stranded on your world, but has asked me to pursue diplomatic relations with your nation.” There was still obvious stress in Daniel’s voice. He was not as calm as Celestia would have liked.

“Thank you Captain. I would like to ask a more personal question, if I may.”

“Of course.”

“You seem very nervous. Even more so than most of my own ponies. Why is that?”

“There is... a lot riding on this mission and on its success. You are the first peaceful non-humans we have ever encountered.”

“When you say we are the first peaceful non-humans, does that mean you have met other hostile non-humans?”

Daniel choked up for a moment. “Yes.”

Celestia and Luna shared concerned looks before turning back to the human. His face had taken a somber look and his eyes showed a pain that neither sister had seen in a long time.

“Who were they?” Twilight asked before anyone else could speak.

“They were a collective of alien races known as the Covenant. For thirty years they waged war against my people on the basis of religious zealotry. They believed we were an affront to their gods and tried to exterminate us.”

“That’s horrible...” Twilight couldn't think of anything more to say as she processed what he had just said. She knew that there must be more to his story, but was unwilling to press him for more.

Luna had a look of disgust as she spoke. “So these aliens wanted to wipe you out, simply because their gods demanded it?”

“It’s even simpler than that. Their prophets told them that we needed to be wiped out, and none of them questioned it until the very last minute.”

“How close did they come to succeeding?”

“They to came within a few minutes.”

The room sat in deathly silence for what felt like hours.

Celetia was the only one with the bravery to break the silence and ask the hardest question.

“How many died?”

Daniel was beginning to lose his composure. A flood of memories long suppressed began to rush through his mind.

“Thirteen billion.” He said softly as he fought to hold his head up; tears fought to break through.

“I think that’s enough for now. Captain Ryan, can I interest you in a cup of tea?”

“That... that would be great right about now.”

Celestia smiled warmly as she got up and walked out of the room. Twilight and Shining shared a look before both getting up.

“I... I’ll see you later Daniel.”

“See ya Twilight.” Daniel mumbled softly. He was hunched over leaning his elbows against his knees while he looked at the floor, unable to keep his head up.

Twilight couldn't help but feel a pang of loss for him. It was clear that he had seen things that no one should be forced to witness. With Shining and Twilight gone, only Luna and Daniel remained. The lunar goddess could see something personal was troubling him ever since he mentioned the war. She used this knowledge and his reaction to formulate her next question.

“How long ago was it, Captain?” Luna asked softly.

He paused for a moment before answering softly. “Seven years ago, and please, call me Daniel.” Captain Ryan said, still facing the floor.

"Friends?"

"Yeah, and my parents."

“I’m so sorry for your loss.” Luna was unsure of how to console the human. She wanted to change the subjects to something less depressing. “May I ask you something else?”

“Please do.” His breaths were shallow as he fought to contain his emotions.

“I can understand why you stopped to help Rainbow Dash. What I want to know is what influenced you to not only give her a meal, but to then allow her to stay on your vessel.”

“Part of me... part of me was so... excited... to met an alien race that didn't seem to want to kill me on site. What the Covenant did to my people was... beyond horrible. They were the first extraterrestrial contact humanity ever had and they tried to kill us all.” Daniel took a deep breath and sighed. “I guess since I was your first contact, I wanted to be better than them. I wanted your first contact with an alien to be a positive one. I wanted it to be something you would be proud to look back on.” What Daniel didn't realize was that Celestia had been standing silently in the doorway for the past few minutes.

The sun goddess slowly walked up behind the distraught human before gently placing a hoof on his shoulder. Daniel, surprised by the sudden sensation, turned to see the solar Princess looking down at him with deep understanding and compassion. He looked at Celestia in the eye before feeling a wave of powerful emotion surge through his body. Every ounce of his training told him to maintain his composure and keep his emotions in check. Then the words of the Director echoed through his mind.

‘Show them the best humanity has to offer...’

'...the best humanity has to offer...'

'...humanity...'

A conflict was raging within Daniel's mind: he could either maintain his composure and show the princesses how strong and proud the humans were, or he could let his emotions go and show them that humans were capable of feelings like sadness and regret. To show emotion is to be human, and in that precise moment Captain Ryan did something he hadn't done in years.

He cried.

Author's Note:

Whew. Another chapter done. Can I tell you just how good it feels to see your story in the Popular Stories section for three days straight? It's good.

So after this chapter the updates are going to slow down as EQLA draws near and as I return to daily life as an office slave. I will be doing another total overhaul on The Midlife Crisis story, so sadly no updates until some serious flaws are fixed. I will also be releasing a separate story that contains all the After Action Reports.

I will also be spending some time tomorrow to do my first round of mass edits on the previous two chapters to fix some minor things that some very observant and kind people pointed out to me in a very constructive way. You know who you are. Have a cookie.

This is only my second time writing a scene that had any scrap of sadness to it. My first one was a cataclysmic failure that nearly sank my story. I'm hoping I did a better job at it this time.

Is anyone here planing on attending EQLA on Friday? I'll be there all three days with the badge name Synx if any of you want to try and find me hunt me down.

Once again, questions, comments, concerns, things you liked, things you didn't like, haiku poetry, toss em in the section below.

And please leave a rating. It's kinda like rocket fuel for my ego.