• Published 15th May 2013
  • 9,527 Views, 1,556 Comments

Xenophilia: Shotglass Oneshots - TheQuietMan



Ficlets, short shots, one-offs and random tales from the Xenophilia universe.

  • ...
40
 1,556
 9,527

PreviousChapters Next
58: A Little Game by TheAlmightySage


A Little Game by TheAlmightySage

**********************

It all started so deceptively simple. Twilight had been taking a break from her studying and Lyra had asked her if she would help her with a Still Way mental exercise. Twilight, of course, had agreed without much thought and now found herself in the single most frustrating, mental exercise she had ever encountered in her entire life.

"What color is the corn flower?" Lyra asked, while staring at some spot of the ceiling's wood grain.

Sure it was just a series of seemingly simple questions, but the only rule of this exercise continuously frustrated Twilight. The rule simply stated "Take turns asking each other questions, but you must answer the questions without thinking", easy right? Wrong, dead wrong.

By the time Twilight caught herself pausing to think, Lyra was grinning at having already caught Twilight in her pause.

"This hard, agonizingly hard," Twilight said rubbing her forehead.

“Ponies suffer only because they take seriously what the Creator made for fun," Lyra answered cryptically.

Twilight frowned for a moment before a question for her turn popped into her mind.

"What is the theory of thaumaturgical resonance entanglement?" Twilight asked as she smugly thought to herself, Ha! Answer that without thinking.

Lyra did not say a single word, instead her horn lit up with its usual green aura and two small magical bubbles, one red and the other blue, appeared above the coffee table. Twilight watched as the two bubbles slowly merged into a single orange bubble, before disappearing. Satisfied Lyra laid back into the couch cushion smiling.

"But you didn't say the answer!" Twilight blurted out, equal parts confused and annoyed.

"The rule said it had to be an answer without thinking, it does not say the answer has to be said spoken," Lyra explained with a giggle.

Pushing her frustration aside for a moment, Twilight sighed and tried to look at this "game" from another angle while Lyra calmly sipped her tea.

"What's the point of this?" Twilight asked idly.

"We only see the gemstone at the bottom of the lake through still water," Lyra answered her herd mate with a small, knowing smile.

Twilight's ears perked up as realization sparked in her eyes. She glanced at Lyra, then inhaled deeply and let it out slowly, in a calming breath.

"Ready?" Lyra asked with a smile.

Twilight answered with a nod and smile of her own.

"When the bath water goes down the drain, does it go clockwise or counterclockwise?" Lyra asked before taking a sip of her tea.

"Clockwise," Twilight answered with a twirl of her hoof.

Lyra smiled at Twilight.

"Oh my gosh, I did it!" Twilight exclaimed happily.

“To a mind that is still the whole universe surrenders," Lyra quoted with a smile.

The two herd mates laughed merrily at their folly.

Author's Note:

TheAlmightySage AN: Written in 46 minutes; no editing. I should really use this time to write something related to the stories I'm supposed write. Oh well.

PreviousChapters Next