• Published 13th Aug 2013
  • 2,259 Views, 54 Comments

Peeled Apart and Affairs of the Heart - sweeT2010Tooth



Princess Celestia is overcome with distress prompted by the wish Princess Luna granted. Celestia sets out to correct this mistake hoping the fix isn't too late.

  • ...
3
 54
 2,259

Relax, Regroup, Rethink

Despite a few sobs coming from Rarity, the Golden Oaks Library retained an oppressive silence. The five ponies remained quiet embracing the white-coated unicorn in the comfort of their accompanying hooves. It was all they could offer at the moment to the one who solely blamed herself for the transpiring events. They wanted to offer words of encouragement and hope. However, these words were intercepted by their own grievances remaining stuck in their throats. The five ponies didn't want to cry themselves for the mood didn't need additional depressing displays.

"Ya okay, sugarcube?" Applejack asked not able to withstand the silence any longer.

"...Y-yes, I-I'm fine," Rarity replied trying to stop the sobbing. "A-actually, Applejack, I'm not fine. It's all my fault...Spike's going to-"

"-No, he ain't! Ay don't wanna hear ya talking like that, ya hear me?" Applejack interrupted Rarity trying to curb her friend's guilt. "Stuff like this happens all the time."

"Um, not really. Spike was a pony this morning, remember? That's not normal everyday stuff," Rainbow Dash remarked to which Applejack gave her a warning look indicating the comment was not needed.

"Point is ya don't need to feel guilty about Spike, sugarcube. It ain't gonna help one bit in beating yourself up 'bout it. When life gives ya apples, ya make applejuice...or cider. What ay'm trying ta say is we make the best use of what we've got. After our worst mistakes are all said and done, we need ta believe we've done the best we can do. Otherwise, some silly ol' feelings will get in the way of the next day's responsibilities. Spike needs us right now—he needs you, Rarity. As much as ay'd like ta sit here and mope, it'd be best if we made sure the little guy is doing all right in the hospital."

"You're absolutely right, Applejack. It wouldn't serve any good purposes to sit here and cry. Spike needs us right now. Thank you, Applejack. You're a dear friend," Rarity said wiping her tears away with a foreleg.

"Don't mention it, pardner. We're all feeling a little bit down and out right 'bout now. Ay sure hope the little guy is doing okay. That spell sounds mightily horrible. Ay'd not wish it on my worst enemies," Applejack said to which all her friends verbally agreed. The orange-coated mare turned her attention to Twilight whom seemed like she was in deep thought. "Ya have any ideas on this spell, Twilight? Can we do something fer Spike?"

"I-I don't know. I've never heard of a spell that reveals another's true inner self. Maybe it's our my fault for instilling a pony's life into the young dragon. There just wasn't enough time given to study that spell's description. I need to borrow the book again, but I don't think Princess Celestia is willing to part with it. Her concerns are understandable considering the dragon's fate from long ago. Still, I feel as though an important detail has been overlooked."

"See, sugarcube?" Applejack said addressing Rarity. "Ya have the smartest pony of our generation tryin' ta help. We're all in this together, and we'll help Spike out no matter what tomorrow brings. Now's not the time to play 'Who hid the snakes in the barrel' else precious time will be wasted."

"Why would anypony hide snakes in a barrel?" Pinkie asked with a puzzled look.

"It's just a game, Pinkie, ta pass the time. Kinda like 'Pin the Tail on the Pony'," Applejack said.

"Are the snakes venomous? Can you press charges if you're bitten, assuming you find the culprit?" Pinkie asked still confused.

"The poor little snakes don't get hurt, do they?" Fluttershy asked joining in on the conversation.

"There's no snakes involved. One pony hides the 'snakes' while the others try to find 'em. It's a scavenger hunt with a little mystery," Applejack said relieving Fluttershy of her worry for an animal's safety. Pinkie, on the other hoof, was more confused than ever. "Y'all are thinking too much into this. Ay was trying to say we shouldn't waste time and help Spike. Speaking of which we shoulda been on our way to the Ponyville Hospital. C'mon y'all we need to get going."

Applejack got up with Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Fluttershy following her to the front door. However, Twilight remained sitting with her mind still focused on finding the solution. Noticing her friends were on the way out the door, she called out for them to stop.

"Everypony, wait a second!" Twilight shouted halting their exit from the library.

"What is it, sugarcube?" Applejack asked.

"Spike doesn't know about the story told to us by Celestia. I suggest we not tell him for the time being as I'm not sure if his heart can bear the news."

"Ay'd rather not keep secrets, Twi...was never too good at it," Applejack responded with honesty in her heart.

"Please, AJ. I'm not sure if him knowing will worsen the condition," Twilight pleaded.

"I-I'll try, sugarcube, but I can't promise anything if he asks," Applejack responded knowing full well the weight carried in honesty's truth. She would try her best not to tell Spike, but there was no guarantee against a slip of the tongue.

This was the best response Twilight was going to get. The other four girls remarked that they would most assuredly not tell Spike about the story or his affliction. A lot had happened that day and they didn't need the added stress of delivering bad news. The six ponies exited through the library's front door making their way to the Ponyville Hospital. Determination filled their hearts with a means to rescue a friend from a horrible fate. They didn't yet know how they were going to help Spike but, nonetheless, they'd be there for him in his darkest hour.

After all, a true, true friend helps a friend in need.


[/hr]

The six ponies traversed the halls of the hospital in search of the right room number. Nurse Redheart had been kind enough to point them in the right direction and it was only a matter of time before they found the room with a matching number. With hearts beating in their chests they found a matching number and passed through the accompanying doorway to a small room with two beds in it. Noticing the arrival of the six ponies, a doctor standing next to Spike looked up at them through glasses sitting on his nuzzle. Twilight immediately recognized his many orange curls.

"Well now, I should have known I'd have this one in my care again," he said looking back at Spike. "He still grabby I take it?"

"Just a phase doc," Spike said seemingly fully awake and eyeing a jar full of suckers. "Can I have another one?"

"No, he's back to Spike being his carefree self," Twilight responded to the doctor's inquiry. "There was another incident as you can plainly see from the lack of color in his scales. I'm so glad he's okay. I was worried."

"I've already given you two suckers within the past hour, wittle guy," the doctor said denying Spike's request then turning his attention to Twilight. Spike folded his arms feeling annoyed in not getting the sucker. "We've had a physician look into the matter but he couldn't find anything wrong other than the discoloration. I've been running my own tests but, seeing as I mostly deal with baby ponies, they provide no conclusive results. Although Spike made it apparent the discomfort felt underneath his scales, there's no way for me to determine the exact cause for the loss of color. Our tests have negative results meaning I have to discharge him from our care. We can keep him overnight and run more tests if you like, but I can't promise that we'll find anything."

"So, you didn't find anything wrong with him..." Twilight said mostly to herself mentally crossing out the hospital as help in this situation.

"Afraid not. Maybe this is another dragon thing," the doctor said. "Perhaps you should try a vet. I wish there was more I could say on the matter, but this a little beyond my experience."

"That's okay. Thank you doctor," Twilight said not expecting much further help from him.

The doctor, Hippocrates, let the six ponies know that they should bring Spike back to the hospital in case his condition worsens. He then quickly left as many other patients required his attention. Spike took this opportunity to reach for the jar filled with suckers, but Twilight slapped his claw with her hoof. Rarity ran up to Spike's bedside and hugged him not wanting to let go.

"Oh, Spikey-Wikey! I'm so glad you're all right!" she said trying to hold back tears of joy.

"I'm okay, Rarity. Really, I'm fine. It sure feels weird being a dragon again."

"Are you in any pain, Spike?" Rarity asked cutting to the chase.

"Not really but it feels like my skin is crawling," Spike said rubbing his left arm.

Rarity refused to let go of Spike. She held on in wishful thinking that he'd never crumble away to dust.

"Promise you won't ever leave me, Spike," she said with eyes closed focusing her senses on the touch of his scales.

"I promise, Rarity. I dunno what's happening to me, but I'm not going anywhere," Spike said slightly confused but nonetheless returned the hug. Much like her sapphire-like eyes, Spike enjoyed the touch of Rarity's silky coat. The warmth in her touch was enough to melt all his cares away. Though he didn't understand the predicament he faces, Spike knew that nothing could go wrong in Rarity's company. He loved her and she loved him; these reciprocated feeling were the only thing that mattered.

It was in this moment that some of Spike's color returned. Twilight, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie watched in amazement as the purple hues in the dragon's scales slowly returned. If not for the shock expressed on their faces, they would had said something. They continued to witness the strange phenomenon unable to verbalize their emotions.

Is this the answer? Twilight thought to herself. As though it were a jinx, Spike's color began to fade again after the passing thought. The five ponies were even more confused than before.

"What the hay was that!?" Applejack yelled out in shock.

"I-Is there something wrong, Applejack?" Rarity asked releasing Spike from the embrace looking at her friend for any clues.

"J-just now...some of Spike's color returned and disappeared!" Applejack exclaimed pointing a hoof at the two.

"Really?" Rarity asked surprised as she and Spike had the same thing happen earlier that morning. "This is one of the occurrences we wanted to ask Twilight about on our way to the library. It seems as though this phenomenon repeats itself in sparse moments. Any ideas, Twilight?"

"I'm not sure..." Twilight said pondering the occurrence with a hoof raised to her chin. "Perhaps it's from the hug? Hug Spike again, Rarity."

Rarity did just that with Spike feeling like this was one of Twilight's many experiments on him.

"...No, nothing. Close your eyes and rub up against his head."

Once again, Rarity did what Twilight wanted but nothing happened.

"...Still nothing. Maybe grab onto one of his frills and-"

"-um, before this gets any weirder, I'd like to point out this isn't exactly working," Rainbow Dash cut off Twilight's orders not wanting to witness where this was going.

"Right," Twilight said a little red-faced and embarrassed. "We should head back to the library assuming Spike is up for the trip."

Spike nodded and hopped off the bed onto the ground. Twilight was relieved to see he could still walk. She motioned for the others to leave the room not taking her eyes of Spike. She was determined to find a solution. All the pieces were there, she just needed to connect them. As Spike left the room walking next to Rarity, Twilight's gaze followed the little dragon as he walked out the door. Fluttershy was the second to last in exiting the room. Lightly poking Twilight's wing, Fluttershy shyly gained the attention of the purple-coated unicorn.

"Yes, Fluttershy?" Twilight asked.

"Um, I wasn't going to say anything but perhaps it's the affection they share that returned some of the color," Fluttershy responded in an almost quiet whisper.

"Really?" Twilight asked a little surprised. "How come it came back and went away?"

"I don't know," Fluttershy said expressing a slight frown. "But that's what I saw in their hug."

"Thank you, Fluttershy," Twilight said with a slight smile crossing her lips. "That might be the one helpful clue we need to find a solution before it's too late."

"I hope so," Fluttershy agreed. "After all, he's the cutest dragon I've ever seen, and I don't want anything bad to happen to him."

"Me too, Fluttershy," Twilight said returning her eyes to the open door wondering what the future held for the one she's known most her life. "Me too."


[/hr]

On their way back to the library, Spike's curiosity was unrestrained in wanting to know what Celestia said. The Princess had visited on account of Rarity and the young dragon making him wonder if she spoke about the discoloration issue. Twilight came up with an explanation that the Princess thought it would be best he return to his dragon form but said nothing more on the topic. Spike could tell Twilight was holding back information by avoiding eye contact. He's been by her side long enough to recognize the seriousness in her expression and tone of voice withheld something rather important. Nonetheless, he shrugged it off as Twilight's stubbornness would be tricky to get around.

The other five ponies followed along with Rarity sticking very close to the young dragon. Her eyes continually wandered to Spike as though making sure everything was still fine. She noticed that Spike kept rubbing his arms while he talked causing a concern to grow in her heart. He wasn't in any pain, but she knew this was only the beginning of the spell's effects. The sight of her beloved in this condition drowned out his words as her mind raced with possible outcomes and endless conjectures.

"R-Rarity, are you okay?" Spike asked snapping her out of the trance.

"Y-yes, I'm quite alright. What were you saying?" Rarity responded blinking a few times to refocus her attention.

"I just wanted to make sure you're okay with me being a dragon, again? I mean...I'm not a pony anymore so maybe you-" Spike said with dejection.

"-I chose you, Spike, and not some silly old notions about worthwhile appearances," Rarity said disregarding the oncoming negative assumptions with closed eyes. "My heart belongs to you all the same."

"So, you're serious about this relationship...?" Twilight asked jumping into the conversation partly concerned.

"I am," Rarity responded.

"B-but he's a dragon," Fluttershy spoke up in a quiet voice pointing a hoof at Spike.

Rarity stopped walking wanting to make her points clear with the group also halting their advance towards the library.

"Yes, I'm quite aware he's a dragon. However, one must not judge another by their outward appearance. How many of you assume me to be snobbish and self-centered?" Rarity asked the group. Rainbow Dash raised a hoof but had it forcibly lowered by Twilight.

"No, Rarity. We do not think you're snobbish. You're a very good friend to us," Twilight responded turning to look at Rainbow Dash. "Most of us think so, anyways."

"What? She's a drama queen with her frilly little dresses and-" Rainbow Dash responded cut off mid-sentence by Twilight.

"-and she's a good friend worthy of rescue during a deadly free fall," Twilight responded.

"It wouldn't of happened if she hadn't stolen the spotlight with her amazing wings," Rainbow Dash said sitting down and crossing her hooves.

"I've apologized countless times for the incident as it was not right for me to behave in that manner," Rarity said bending down to place a hoof around Rainbow. "I was at my worst that day trying to continually improve since then. It was not right for me to seek attention at the expense of another. Rest assured, on the day you're accepted into the Wonderbolts, I'll be right there cheering for you. Will you let me cheer for you?"

"Of course! I want all my friends to be there!" Rainbow Dash said excitedly. "I didn't say you weren't a good friend. It's just that..."

"...She looks and acts different than most other ponies in this town. Am ay right, sugarcube?" Applejack chimed in with her own response to which Rarity slightly nodded. "Looks can be deceiving, Rainbow. Most ponies assume my brother is dumb due to the fact he don't talk much. They don't bother to look beyond his outward appearance. Spike is in the same boat. Ay swear I don't see a dragon most of the time in looking at the little guy. Rarity has seen something in him that makes her want ta love him. There ain't nothing wrong with that...though ay'm wondering how rolling 'round in the hay is going to work?"

"Rolling around in the hay?" Pinkie asked jumping up and down with some excitement. "Is that another game?"

"N-not quite, sugarcube," Applejack responded.

"What're the rules? How does one win?"

"I'll explain later, Pinkie," Applejack said trying to calm the easily excitable pink pony down.

"Interesting. And you feel the same way, Spike?" Twilight asked turning her attention to the little dragon.

"Yeah, I do," Spike said feeling his cheeks get hot though they still retained a dull color. "Since the first day we arrived in Ponyville I couldn't take my eyes off of her. Rarity means a lot to me and I'm willing to spend everyday of my life in her company. It's not just her beauty, either. It's something about her caring personality that makes me want to stay by her side and not ever leave it. I love the way she looks at me with those sapphire-like blue eyes, the way her coat fee-"

"-All right, I get it! Please don't share anymore details!" Twilight quickly said trying not to gag thinking back on all the romance novels she's read.

"I find that so adorable," Fluttershy cooed with enlarged eyes looking at Spike.

Twilight was the first to begin walking again not wanting to lose her lunch on the street. She wasn't against love talk per se, but Spike was like a brother making the conversation seem awkward. The rest of the group resumed their walking with Rarity and Spike looking at each other with loving eyes.

"Ain't that cute, sweet little Spike is in love with Rarity," Applejack whispered to Rainbow Dash who rolled her eyes. Fluttershy, on the other hoof, nodded in agreement changing her mind about the dragon and pony relationship.

The group arrived at the library with Twilight rushing to the books aligned neatly on the shelves. She was not willing to waste any time in searching for a solution as she'd already noticed Spike's color continue to fade. She whispered to Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash to help in the search with the three immediately beginning to sift through countless books.

"What're you doing, Twilight? Are you looking for—whoa! you almost hit me with that—something?" Spike asked dodging a book flying at his head.

"Sorry! I can't answer you right now as time is of the essence," Twilight said frantically reading books levitated in front of her eyes.

"Time is...what?" Spike asked confused.

"She's...uh...looking for a book ta reverse the forbidden spell placed on yer body," Applejack stated no longer able to hold back the truth.

"APPLEJACK!!" Twilight screamed out in shock facing the orange-coated mare.

"Many pardons, Twi. Ay can't keep secrets. Spike has a right ta know," Applejack responded knowing this was going to happen.

"Forbidden...spell?" Spike asked looking down at his claws. "Yikes! Do you mean that's what's been happening to me!?"

Spike started to hyperventilate now understanding why the skin under his scales was always crawling. Something was wrong and Twilight wouldn't tell him because there was something really bad about it.

"What's going to happen to me, Twilight?" Spike asked looking back at Twilight who avoided his eyes by turning her head to the side.

"You don't want to know, Spike," Twilight responded trying to hold back tears in thinking about the dragon from long ago. "However, if you start to feel pain, you immediately let me know."

"P-pain...?!" Spike stammered.

"Listen," Twilight said bending down to meet Spike's eye level. "I'm not going to let anything bad happen to you. I—We will find a solution. Everything is going to be okay. You've been by my side long enough to know I won't let you down, right?"

"Well of course, Twilight! You've always been there for me!" Spike said reassured by his friend's determination.

"Good," Twilight said feeling a little relieved by his words. "Keep that trust in your heart. Your friends are here for you, and we're not going to let one spell change that."

"Agreed. I, for one, will not leave your side," Rarity said kneeling down next to Spike. "Come rain, sleet, or hail I'll always be here for you, my Spikey-Wikey."

Rarity gently rubbed her head up against Spike to let him know she wasn't going to leave his side. Twilight resumed her search of the bookshelves still peeved that Applejack couldn't hold secrets. Admittedly, the orange-coated mare was correct that Spike had a right to know about the forbidden spell. Twilight had to accept this was as a good time as any to let him know. Besides, he would need to be told about it sooner or later, preferably while he was still in good health.

While observing Rarity and Spike together, Applejack felt like she needed to say something. This was a good enough opportunity to have a talk with the young dragon.

"Hey, uh, Spike? Ay've been meaning ta talk ta ya 'bout something," Applejack said catching the dragon's attention. She motioned for him to follow her to the other side of room intending to speak privately. Rarity stood in her spot with a confused look.

"What is it, Applejack?" Spike asked her curiously.

Applejack looked up at the others to make sure they couldn't overhear, then turned her attention to the young dragon.

"Ay know things are going ta get rough for ya from here on out," Applejack began, kneeling down to meet Spike's eye level, "truth be told, the spell turns others to dust—now before you worry yourself over that little detail know that we're all here for you especially her."

Applejack motioned a hoof at Rarity whom was still looking at the two with a confused look. Spike followed the extended hoof staring at Rarity knowing she would most certainly be there for him.

"Ma and Pa used ta say that a pony should inherently be honest with themselves. Now, ay don't know if ya believe yerself to be a dragon or pony on the inside, but Rarity is here for ya no matter what. In the end, it is up ta you to make the choice. Ay know love when ay I see it, and you two are singin' its song in perfect sync. Unless, of course, yer only in it ta till the fields." Applejack said the last sentence attempting to hide a slight smile.

"Huh? 'Till the fields'?" Spike asked turning back to Applejack with a look of confusion.

"Oh...ya know...sow yer seeds, buck until leaves fall, rassle with the wily sn—ya have no idea what ay'm talking 'bout, do ya?" Applejack asked a bit surprised.

"I dunno what you're saying, but I love Rarity if that's what you're getting at," Spike responded completely unaware the direction in which the conversation was turning.

"Good ta hear. It's probably best ya don't find out anytime soon," Applejack said. "The point ay'm trying ta make is that yer trust in Rarity will make everything okay in the end. Be honest with yerself and her 'cause that sort of bond is all that matters at the end of a day. Ma and Pa loved each other very much...and I can't help but see the same thing between ya two. Wish ay was here earlier this mornin' to see what ya looked like. Ay bet ya were mighty handsome. If ever ya need something, be sure ta come hollering. Ay'll be here for you two."

Applejack and Spike returned to the group watching the four other ponies rummage through a multitude of books. Spike lamented that he'd have to clean this mess up later, but was proud his friends were looking out for him. Thinking on what Applejack said, he was glad to have her as a friend. It was easy to talk openly with her and she seemed to know what was best. If he ever needed an ear to hear him out, she would be there. For, in the words spoken from her mouth, he'd receive nothing but the honest truth.


[/hr]

Unfortunately, Twilight and her friends couldn't find any leads to a worthwhile solution. Twilight had suggested encasing Spike inside ice until a cure was found but the others were against the idea. Night quickly approached and the mares had to say their goodbyes for the night. Everypony left except for a white-coated mare who refused to leave Spike's side. Twilight tried to reassure Rarity that he'd be okay, but the mare insisted that she stay. Twilight had an extra bed used for the sleep over from long ago and resigned to let Rarity stay overnight.

The three headed upstairs for the night with Twilight glancing back at the many books strewn and scattered on the floor. Perhaps there was something she missed, but she felt too tired to maintain focus on the subject. It was hard on her to know that time was against her—against Spike. She hadn't experienced this kind of stress since her exams under Celestia's tutelage.

Climbing into their beds, and basket, the three said good night to one another. The silence of the night was interrupted every now and then by the muffled noises of Spike rubbing his arms which kept Twilight awake. She tried to doze off to sleep but kept visualizing the dragon from long ago in Celestia's story. After what seemed like an hour, Twilight moved about her bed to its foot to peer down at Spike. She looked across the room and noticed that Rarity was sound asleep. Returning her sleepy gaze to Spike, she noticed his rubbing flaked off some dust particles. She didn't know what to do remaining still with an observant eye.

Before Twilight, laid her assistant, friend, and brother unable to help with a worsening affliction. She had known him since an egg and the two have been inseparable since. Losing him would be catastrophic.

This isn't over. I'll find something, Spike. I won't let the one whom I hold close to my heart wither away to dust, Twilight thought to herself before inevitably drifting off to sleep.

Author's Note:

Spike's not dead. :D