• Published 3rd Sep 2013
  • 9,935 Views, 412 Comments

What if God Were One of Us? - Foals Errand



Princess Celestia knew how her kingdom worked. The Unicorns used magic. Pegasi flew in the sky and handled the weather. And Earth ponies... Earth ponies... Huh, maybe Celestia didn't know everything about her ponies. That was about to change.

  • ...
37
 412
 9,935

On the Farm

Granny Smith watched the horizon as the sun lowered to make way for the moon. She shook her head at the beauty of both celestial bodies moving in such synchronization. Her entire life the sun had moved before the moon, to see them in such a way was still new. She might be a bit averse to all that new jibber jabber the youngins were always babbling about, but this, the new night? Well, she was just fine with it. After all, family was one of the most important parts of a pony’s life in her opinion and darn if she wasn’t just plumb tickled pink about Princess Celestia having her little sister back with her. Sides which, it’s darned beautiful.

She yawned, forcing her eyes to stay open as she stared out to the pastures away from the porch. It had been quite the day for the Apple family, what with Applejack having left early to speak with Princess Celestia about that new tax which was keeping her and Macintosh up at night crunching figures. It’d been days since she had seen either of them smile, so when Applejack said there was nothing to do about it except speak to the Princess about changing the law, Macintosh helped her figure out exactly what to say. She’d never seen that filly so nervous as when she left the farm that morning.

Granny Smith watched as Macintosh trotted up towards the house, his head held high. Poor colt had been in the field all day. Course, that law had to go into effect during harvest time. Mind ya’, Applejack had gotten home a few hours ago, but she just seemed to be off kilter, so rather than send her to the fields, Granny Smith was content to just let her be. Sometimes that was the best option, after all.

Thank Celestia Apple Bloom had been gone all day. First, she was at school then she had gone out crusading for her cutie mark with those crazy little friends of hers. If those fillies would just try something more than one time... I know some pony encouraged them to do this, an’ when I find that pony they’ll learn that an Apple can always buck!


Across the town, at Fluttershy’s home, a very familiar prismatic pegasus felt a shiver from her wingtips to her hooves. “Are you alright, Rainbow Dash?” Fluttershy asked while dishing out their shared dinner of roasted pepper pasta.

“I-I think so, I just got the strangest feeling that somepony somewhere wants to buck me in the flank...”


Granny Smith smiled up at her very tall grandson. Macintosh stopped and smiled down, looking his grandmother right in the eyes. Granny Smith was very proud of her grandchildren. They were very respectable foals, all three of them. “You ready to come in here, or are ya’ planning to keep bucking all night? I s’pose ya’ could. Mind ya’, it aint gonna be a full moon, so you’d have a tartarus of a time seeing.” She laughed at her joke as a smile tugged at Macintosh’s lips.

“Eenope, Ah’m done for the day, Granny. I haven’t missed supper now have ah? Ah didn’t hear the dinner bell.”

“That’s because it hasn’t been rung yet, ya’ whippersnapper. I suppose ya’ worked up quite an appetite, haven’t cha?”

Macintosh nodded, following his grandmother inside the house. “Yes’m.” He paused just inside the doorway and wiped his hooves. He stretched his neck and shook his mane out. "How’d things go with the Princess, Granny? Did AJ say anything?”

Granny Smith paused in thought, “You know, Mac, I’m not certain what happened. Applejack got back about an hour ago, poured a glass of cider and has been nursing it ever since. Don’t think she’s even finished half the glass yet.”

“I guess I oughta talk with her, then. Sounds like things didn’t go as well as we had hoped. I was so sure that Princess Celestia would be willing to listen to AJ.” He leaned down and gave his grandmother a nuzzle before he trotted into the kitchen and frowned at the sight in front of him.

Applejack sat at the dining room table, her chin resting on the hard wood and making little circles with her right fore hoof. In front of her muzzle was a glass half filled with the Apple Family reserves. She took a deep breath as she stared into the amber liquid. To Macintosh, it appeared that his little sister was searching for the meaning of life in a glass of cider. And, well, in his experience that never ended well. He cleared his throat loudly before sitting down across from her.

Applejack looked up and blinked, a small smile gracing her muzzle. “Landsakes, Mac, for such a large stallion you sure can be quiet if you want.” The smile faded and she sighed. “Or was I so far away that Apple Bloom could’ve raced in with Pinkie Pie’s party cannon and I wouldn’t of noticed?”

Macintosh chuckled while pouring his own cup of cider and took a large gulp. “Eeeyup, you were sure out of it, Applejack. So why don’t ya tell me what happened with the Princess? Did she understand the problems we are having with that new road tax? Is she able to do anything about it, or are we gonna have to wait for some council to meet?”

Applejack sighed. “I don’t rightly know, Big Mac. I explained everything to her, but her mind seemed to be on other things.”

"Other things? Like what?” Big Macintosh, sensing this might take awhile, dished himself up a bowl of soup as Applejack struggled to find the right words.

“I’m not rightly sure. I plead our case exactly how you and I planned to present it and she just... She seemed to wilt. And well, I sure didn’t want to be responsible for making the Princess that upset, so I went to take my leave when she seemed to... I dunno, it was almost like she came to life! She wanted to know more about being an earth pony, and she took me to a small room and she ordered tea and sandwiches. It was real odd, Mac; most of the time she just watched me as I ate.”

“Like she ain’t ever seen anything like it before?” Macintosh asked, slurping down his soup and wiping his muzzle on his forehoof.

Applejack wrinkled her muzzle at his manners but sighed. “Yeah, she asked me if I played chess. Since you taught me how, I said yes, and we played. It was the strangest thing, Mac. She even had me calling her ‘Celestia.’ If Granny had heard me she woulda whipped me good and how! So anyway, we played chess, and I’m pretty sure she was watching me more than she was watching the board! After the game I tried to give her the very basics on being an earth pony but, darn it Mac, she looked so confused! It was like I had given a foal one of them books Twilight is always reading!”

Big Mac nodded, getting up to wash his dish out. It seemed like his sister was finishing her story, though for the life of him he couldn’t figure out exactly what must’ve happened. He shook his head. Mares…

“After that look, the Princess, she went real quiet then told me that... well, she said she was going to have to become a real earth pony. Next thing I knew I was being escorted to the train station by one of her guards, and here I am. And darned if I ain’t more confused than an apple growing from a tomato vine!” Applejack allowed her head to hit the hardwood with a “thunk”.

*Knock knock*

Applejack sighed, “I’ll get the door, Big Mac. Would you do me the favor of putting away the cider? You can have the rest of mine.” Without waiting for an answer Applejack put her hat back on and quickly trotted towards the door.

Who the hay could it be this time of night? Can’t be nothing about the Crusaders. Apple Bloom is upstairs working on her homework. Could it be one of the girls? I love the five of them to death but I kinda was hoping for a quiet evening after that trip to Canterlot.

“Just a sec, I’m coming!” Applejack reached a hoof up and fixed her hat before opening the door. “Evening! What can I do…” She trailed off at the sight in front of her. Standing on the porch was a small white earth pony mare with a pink mane. It was too dark to see her cutie mark, but Applejack knew that she had never seen this mare before...

And yet, as she looked her over she was overcome with a strange sense of familiarity.

“Uh, sorry ‘bout that, Ma’am. Can I help you?”

The mare looked up at Applejack and smiled. Applejack felt her breath catch. Those eyes, her magenta eyes... I’ve only ever seen one pony with eyes like that, but… no…

“Good evening, Applejack. I’m sorry to come so late at night, but I felt this was the best place to go. I mean, I couldn’t go to Twilight looking like this, could I? She’d never believe that this was my choice!” She laughed with a bright smile.

Applejack felt weak at the knees. “I… you… Princess… Earth pony?”

“Well, yes, I mentioned I was going to do this before you left ,remember?” She frowned. “Applejack, are you alright? You don’t look well at all! Maybe you should lie down?”

Applejack just nodded numbly. The last thing she remembered before hitting the ground was Princess Celestia crying out her name in concern and fear.

Then, all was dark.

Author's Note:

The final rewrite chapter! Ha from here on smooth sailing...
I hope!