• Published 5th Mar 2012
  • 6,359 Views, 144 Comments

Wings of Gold - totallynotabrony

  • ...
9
 144
 6,359

Epilogue

El Centro, California

It had taken Rainbow more than a little effort to make it to the tryouts for the Blue Angels. She’d met the team a few times at various air shows. Being a multicolored pegasus ensured that she would be remembered.

Once she passed the minimum flight hours requirement in the Hornet, she’d applied. The current members of the team voted on potential candidates, and invited them to audition.

The grey Hornet that she had control of looked rather drab compared the line of blue and yellow jets parked near the runway. Still, Rainbow was counting on getting every last bit of performance she could out of the plane.

On the radio, a voice talked her through maneuvers. She was being graded on how well she could follow orders and her overall control of the plane. She had no idea how many people were watching, but the news that a pony was trying out for the Blues had to be noteworthy.

She’d been constantly accelerating, decelerating, turning tightly, looping, and tumbling for twenty minutes straight. It was all at the whim of the radio. She knew that they were trying to pressure her into a mistake, and wasn’t about to let that happen.

Finally, she was ordered to land. Rainbow almost extended the tail hook, forgetting for a moment that she had a nice long runway to use. She caught her mistake just in time.

Once the plane was slowed down, she turned off the runway and taxied to the parking area. The ground crew helped her shut the plane down and climb out.

A couple of the people who’d graded her were waiting when she stepped down onto the pavement. Their blue flight suits were immaculate.

“How do you think you did?” one of them asked.

“I did perfectly.” Truthfully, it might have been the best flying she’d ever done. If it wasn’t perfect, then she had no idea what was.

Another man nodded. “It was pretty impressive, I’ll give you that.” Rainbow looked back and forth between the group of them, sensing a but.

“We’ve never flown with a pony before,” explained one of them. “There’s no way to tell what might happen.”

Rainbow’s breath caught in her throat.

“What we’re going to do is make you the number seven pilot. You’ll fly the twin-seat jet to take people for rides. In a year, if you check out all right, you’ll become part of the main event. Welcome to the Blue Angels, Dash.”

When she could, Rainbow called Milk to tell him the good news. He was in the process of moving to a new duty assignment, and was able to talk.

“That’s good to hear. You did a great job," he said.

“Thanks. All this work, all these years, and I’ve finally done it!”

“So what happens next?”

“What do you mean?”

“I know you. You’ve always got to have something to work towards. What are you going to do after the Blue Angels?”

“I guess I haven’t really thought about it.”

“There’s a lot of opportunities.”

“I want to keep flying.”

“NASA’s hiring. Want to be an astronaut?”

“The first pony in space? Sounds like I’ve got a new goal.”

Comments ( 46 )

Nah, Lyra would jump on being the first spacepony.

Great ending to great story, this really made my day:twilightsmile:
Keep it!:pinkiehappy:

SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

PONIES IN SPAAAAAAAACE!!!!!!! :rainbowdetermined2: F*ck yeah!

307389
Rainbow's wings don't have hardpoints for weapons. :rainbowhuh:
A pony carrier could be interesting, though. Wouldn't need a flight deck. Pegasi are VTOL

I like happy endings. And though I wish this could've been longer, a nine year time frame is pretty long. And the ending gives some open-endedness that could make you just satisfied with it (SPACE!). All those years of work finally does pay-off.

You know, this is just me, but what if you could make those 'doorways' big enough for jets to fit in. I can imagine Rainbow Dash flying in the first ever airshow + jetshow in Equestria. Perhaps make her show her skills and make the Wonderbolts' jaws drop. A good one-shot if it's not asking too much.

:rainbowwild: SPACE DASHIE. DO IT. PLZ DO IT! IT MUST BE DONE! @____@

308920
Your Whataburger is guilty of watering down the soda, but it's a really nice city to visit.

Nicely done! I quite enjoyed this.

324124
In the interest of personal security, I move a lot. Many of the places that I describe I've been to. For everything else, there's Wikipedia and Google Street View. :yay:

Great ending to a great story. I'm glad I checked it out!

This one had a great ending! I hope you know you've sucked up my entire evening with your awesome fanfic powers...

Keep it up with the Military themed ones too! Those seem to be the only earth/equestria crossovers that work

410233
Thanks a lot. When I get bored, though, I write comedy.

Awesome, Dash is truly best pony.

oh my, how awesome! You have built a little world here

Yet another good read.

I'd laught SOOOO hard if Dash went to Equestria with the Blue Angels, make an airshow with the Wonderbolts, see their hanging jaws, and then flip them the 'finger' as if saying 'F*** you I'm better than you now!'

Also.... SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!!! Dash.

Better than Blue Angel, you know WHY?
Just. Fuckin'. Is.
Good story.

It's a shame dash didn't be an astronaut sooner. Now she'll have to go through Russia.

745246 Or she could fly for SpaceX.

I did wonder what would happen if she ever had to bail out, but it didn't seem to come up.

Amazing story. I greatly enjoyed it. Even though I have absolutely no respect for the military, the dedication of Rainbow Dash fit well. I personally think it would have worked well with Rainbow dropping out of the military after the incident with the traitor pony whether she killed him or not. Kind of an "achieving your goals aren't all there is to life" angle.

that... was... AWESOME!!! :rainbowdetermined2:

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

Damn you totallynotabrony, why do you have so many good stories!
It's now 04:30 and I started reading somewhere around 4 or 5 hours ago although it might be more, time really flies when reading something good.

1321925
Well, at least you're only losing sleep. Some people have accused me of causing them to leak bodily fluids.

1321933
Well you almost got me to pee myself, I could't leave in the middle of a story...

Edit: how does the reply thing work?I just got a string of numbers instead of your name.

Edit 2: I only seemed to need to update the page :facehoof:

:pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp::pinkiegasp: Pinkie as White House Chef!!!! Awesome!:pinkiehappy::heart:

307543
One advantage a Pegasus would have in a fighter. No parachute necessary. :rainbowlaugh:

They could just grab a gun, eject, and keep on fighting...

Ch. 1: I have been to multiple airshows (with the Blue Angels present, too) and they are awesome every time. Flyovers are the best part, except for the inevitable car alarms.
Ch. 2: Dang, man, you captured college pretty damn well. I'm not from Purdue, but that's a good impression of what college feels like. (Not much changes in twenty years, I guess!)
Ch. 6: Being miles above the conflict doesn't remove you from the implications. This revelation of turncoats is going to be a big deal in later stories, I bet.
A rise through military, starring a pony. It captures the highlights well, and moves along very quickly through a long period of time. Speaking of which: As time marches towards 2010, one wonders if the Hub will come into being. Perhaps FiM will be on the Biography Channel!

2459486 Well if you like this story, I have another about Rainbow and her squadron going to Red Flag coming soon.

3263331 Oh yeah! I thought it was a different incident.

well Rainbow Dash in a FA18 Hornet is like 20 percent cooler, and well allways has a Goal, nice Story :rainbowdetermined2:

And I quote someone from my deviantART, in response to the cover photo:
"[Rainbow Dash] is the fighter pilot of the Mane Six. She isn't happy unless she's going Mach 2 with her mane on fire."

4530648 Of course.

It's only appropriate that the site is throwing me ads for Boeing Growlers right now.

5223483 answer a DI with Sir or Ma'm until they tell you not to.

5869396 Yep. They've got a pretty sweet museum there with these stories and others.

Featured on FOB Equestria

I am sorry. 404, not found.

1321925 same here... except that it is now 5 o'clock in the morning and I started around two or three AM

Neat story! The life story was well done. The military portion was well thought out and your homework was very good. Though I'm a retired jet engine mechanic on the Air Force side, I can say that you did a good job! Just can't figure out the Truax thing. I worked both A-10s and F-16c/d on engine maintenance, inspection, and was ground run qualified on both. There was nothing in this story that felt wrong, that includes the combat sequence. Though I was ground support, we were allowed to see a few debrief sessions with post mission video. So.... one more time... you did a good job! (Oh yeah....31 years service Master Sergeant. Two expeditionary tours, Three combat tours. I think I know a little bit about the subject matter ;-)

9362224
Thank you. I try to listen to military people when I write.

9362265
You also did a blog on MREs! I just about died laughing! My last tour in Iraq the bunker next door was full of "expired" Meals ready to excrete..... so of course we took a bunch of them back to our bunker and took the best parts for speed turn meals. Guess you can get accustomed to just about anything!

Login or register to comment