• Published 2nd Nov 2013
  • 1,522 Views, 14 Comments

A Family of Her Own - HyperBlossom7



Scootaloo and her quest to find her roots, and the true meaning of family leads her to closer relationships with the other ponies in her life as well as self discovery.

  • ...
3
 14
 1,522

The Frustration of a Young Filly

Miss Cheerilee released the class and the Cutie Mark Crusaders walked out of the school together. Scootaloo lagged behind a bit while Sweetie Belle and Applebloom walked while talking and laughing. Sweetie Belle noticed her friend's frown and paused in her conversation with Applebloom. She nudged Applebloom and nodded towards Scootaloo.

"Everything all right, Scootaloo?" Sweetie Belle asked gently.

"Yes, everything's fine," Scootaloo lied. "I'm okay, really."

You two are so happy...I need to be happy too so you don't stop smiling.

First she walked with them until they reached Rarity's, where they said goodbye to Sweetie Belle. Scootaloo couldn't help but feel jealous of Sweetie Belle. She had a wonderful sister, and even though they got on each other's nerves at times, they were still close sisters. Sweetie Belle was very lucky to have a sister like Rarity.

Scootaloo watched sadly as Rarity walked outside to greet her little sister, and they happily embraced. Sweetie Belle talked animatedly with Rarity as they walked back into the house together. Scootaloo sighed and looked down for the fifth time that day. Applebloom saw this and frowned, not liking that her friend looked sad.

"Hey what's wrong Scootaloo?" she asked her friend gently.

"Nothing," Scootaloo said quickly. She didn't want to ruin Applebloom's day just by frowning, so she gave her friend a big smile. "Come on, let's go to Sweet Apple Acres."

"Okay..." Applebloom looked uncertain, but Scootaloo kept smiling. The filly was trying to be brave for her red maned friend, and Applebloom could see that. "I bet some Apple Cider will cheer you up!" she suggested with a big grin. "Come on!"

Scootaloo smiled for real that time, because she appreciated her friend's effort to make her happy. She followed Applebloom to Sweet Apple Acres where they met Applejack at the Barn.

"Well hey there y'all, didja have a good day at school?" Applejack asked her little sister and her friend.

"We did," said Applebloom with a smile. Then she went to her sister and whispered into her ear, "Ah think Scootaloo's feeling a little down. I think some Apple cider or somethin' will help her."

Applejack looked at Scootaloo who was now looking at the ground and digging at it slightly with a hoof. She nodded to Applebloom and said, "Well I'll rustle y'all up some fresh apple cider! How about that?"

"Sure," Scootaloo said, not wanting to let her friends down.

Scootaloo went on and had Apple Cider and even some Apple fritter as a treat while Applebloom chattered on about their day at school. Scootaloo didn't really take part in the conversation much. Most of the time she just watched the two sisters chatting happily, thinking how Applejack was a hard working pony and a very dependable sister and friend. Applebloom was lucky to have a sister like Applejack, Scootaloo thought. When they were done, Applejack gave Scootaloo a bag of apple fritters to take home with her.

Home... she thought, That would be nice if I really had one...

Scootaloo said goodbye to Applebloom and her sister and trotted away from Sweet Apple Acres. She walked down the path through Ponyville and paused when she spotted the Library. Then she found an answer for the thing that had been on her mind for a while.

Applebloom and Sweetie Belle were the two best friends Scootaloo could ever have, as well as their additional member Babs from Manehatten. They were also very lucky fillies who had families to care for them. Scootaloo had none. She would either stay at Applejack's or Rarity's, and only her fellow CMCs knew her secret. They would come up with a story for why Scootaloo was staying. Of course Scootaloo couldn't do it every day, so she would spend some nights in the clubhouse.

Scootaloo had been raised at an orphanage. The Orphanage was providing the money for Scootaloo to go to school, and that was just about it. She was dependent on her friends for other things, and they didn't mind. Still Scootaloo felt bad at times. Now she was looking at the Library, one place that may hold the answers. She could look into the History of Ponyville and try to see if there were any ponies that could have potentially been her parents.

Scootaloo went to the Library and knocked on the door. Spike answered and was surprised to see the young pegasus there.

"Hey Scootaloo, come on in," He said in a friendly manner.

"Thanks Spike," Scootaloo smiled at him as he moved aside to let her in.

"Who's at the door?" she heard Twilight's voice call.

"It's me, Scootaloo!" she said. "Twilight, could you help me with something please?"

Twilight Sparkle put down her quill and looked towards Scootaloo. She noted the expression on her face and logic told her that this was a serious matter. Twilight walked to her and smiled at the young filly.

"Of course, what do you need?" she asked the young filly.

Scootaloo explained that she wanted to do some research in Ponyville's History. She wanted to see if she could find an answer to her roots and try to find her real family. Twilight was intrigued, but as a good friend she agreed to let Scootaloo look through her books.

"Just don't forget to put the book back where you found it, all right?" she told the young pegasus.

"Of course Twilight," Scootaloo smiled at the older Pony. "Um, where should I start looking?"

"Try B2 of the Library, you can take the stairs over there," Twilight gestured with a hoof towards a door to their right. "I need to go out for a bit, so ask Spike to help you if you need him."

"Thank you Twilight!" the young filly beamed at her and headed to the staircase.

Twilight watched the young filly disappear down the stairs. "Hmm," she thought out loud. She decided to go meet her friends at Sugar Cube Corner and talk with them about Scootaloo's situation.

Author's Note:

This is my first time ever writing a MLP fanfiction, so please be nice. Constructive criticism is appreciated! Thank you for reading :) I apologize it's so short, but like I said this is my first MLP Fanfiction.