• Published 3rd Jun 2014
  • 25,123 Views, 27,985 Comments

Piercing the Heavens - Calm Wind



Sequel to Flying Sky-High. A lot has happened, but now Rainbow Dash finally has a chance to fulfill her dream and become a Wonderbolt. As the process begins, will her relationship with Soarin be a blessing? Or will it be a curse?

  • ...
66
 27,985
 25,123

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 76: I Need You

MLP: FiM
Piercing the Heavens
By: Calm Wind
Chapter 76:


“Waiting on you Matty!” Dash yelled into the barracks as Squall, Star and Twister all waited outside the door with her, each with a small, issued Wonderbolt duffle bag slung over their shoulder. All except for Little Star, who was the same size as her bag. Squall was carrying hers as well. Surprisingly, he didn’t complain or say a word when she asked him to. “What are you even DOING?” Dash asked as she peeked into the room.

Matteo was over by his bed and looked like he was struggling with something. Curiosity caught Dash and she entered the room, moving towards Matteo.

“Matt?” she said his named. He flinched and turned around, saluting.

“Yes, Captain!” he replied vigorously. Dash’s eyes widened slightly.

“Er… are you all alright?” she asked as he nodded.

“Yes! Perfectly fine! Thank you, captain. How are you?” it was like he was trying to hide something.

“Dude, what are you doing?” Dash chuckled.

“Er, nothing. Nothing at…” Matteo closed his eyes and sighed as Dash faked him out, juking one way before moving the other to see what was going on. Matteo’s bag laid on his bed, with his uniform sticking out of it and the rest of his travel items sitting beside it. Dash glanced up at him. He answered before she could even ask. “My bag is too small… my uniform doesn’t even fit.”

“Oh,” Dash smiled, snickering as she shook her head. Matteo was such a klutz at normal, everyday tasks. They were only coming along to observe the process of a Wonderbolt show, but they were told to bring along their uniforms for a short reception afterwards. Apparently they were going to get a little bit of media attention. However, it seemed Matteo’s custom, massive uniform was a bit too big for the standard issue bags… at least in the way he was trying to pack it. He literally tried to just stuff it in in a ball. “Looks like you’ll have to fold it,” Dash pointed.

Matteo just looked away from her, his eyes looking back and forth across the room.

“But you don’t know how, do you?” she asked quickly. Matteo just shook his head. “Okay let’s see this…” Dash pulled the uniform out of the bag. Dash wasn’t really one known for folding her clothes either, but even with her little experience, she was sure she could…

Dash stared at Matteo’s uniform as she finally managed to unfold it all and lay the whole, oversized, custom shaped uniform out on the bed. Honestly? She didn’t know where to start when folding something like this.

“Um…”

“One side!” Little Star suddenly appeared beside Dash and pushed her aside. “I heard one of you say something about folding clothes and I knew neither of you would be able to, let me do this.”

Dash immediately backed off as Star went to work folding the uniform. Dash and Matteo glanced at each other and shrugged.

“This problem took care of itself,” Dash chuckled as they watched Star masterfully fold the uniform into a shape that fit perfectly in the bag. “Wait…” Dash blinked. “If Star is in here… that means she left Squall outside with…”

Dash turned without another word and trotted towards the door. She looked outside and immediately let her ears flop down.

Squall was laying down on a psychiatrist bed, scowling as he looked to be on it against his will. Twister was sitting in a chair beside him, holding a clip board. Twister looked up at Dash and pointed the clipboard.

“This patient is most uncooperative,” Twister said in a professional voice.

Fan Art by SilverWolfFTW

“You can continue later, Doc, we’ve gotta go,” Dash ordered as Matteo and Star emerged behind her.

Dash was both looking forward to, and worrying about having this interesting group of hers isolated on a train to Cloudsdale for a few hours.


“Rgh…” Soarin groaned as he sat on one of the lobby couches beside Spitfire. She glanced at him as he rubbed his hoof against his forehead. Spitfire glanced at him, looking at him carefully.

“Are you having problems again? Bad timing, Soarin,” she said very bluntly and in a bit of a snippy tone. Soarin looked up towards her, lifting his brow.

“Did you fall out of bed this morning?” he huffed. “You’ve been a bit…” Soarin paused.

“Bitchy,” Fleetfoot finished for him on the chair beside the couch, scrunching her face. Soarin looked blankly at Fleetfoot. “I know you’re thinking it, ‘cause I was too. I just have the nuts to say it.”

“Do you have a problem with me, Fleetfoot?” Spitfire furrowed her brow. “Because I would LOVE to hear it.”

“Alright, stop it,” Soarin placed a hoof on Spitfire’s shoulder. “Let’s talk about it instead of hissing at each other,” Soarin swallowed his pride… something he only did for a select few. “We don’t need this on the train, what’s up Spitfire? Did you skip breakfast?” Soarin knew she got grumpy when hungry.

“Oh, believe me she DIDN’T,” Fleetfoot huffed.

“Pardon me for being under a lot of stress,” Spitfire said quickly. “And I feel like I’m the only one taking this Shadowbolt mystery seriously,” she said while glaring at Fleetfoot.

“It was a JOKE, Spitty!” Fleetfoot fired back. “You didn’t have to chew me out in the middle of the mess hall!”

“Did I miss something?” Soarin asked as Fleetfoot immediately pointed at Spitfire.

“I made a lighthearted joke about the Shadowbolts just wanting to party with us and she blew her top! In front of EVERYPONY!” she pouted.

“This isn’t a joke, Fleetfoot!” Spitfire stood up. “The Shadowbolts are ruthless and cruel! Whatever they are planning, it could cost us LIVES if we are not prepared, that falls on my shoulders and you’re making light of it!”

“Hey!” Soarin stood up and faced Spitfire. “Spitfire, sit down and relax,” he said while forcing her back down. Spitfire grunted and looked away.

“See? She just did it again,” Fleetfoot complained.

“Stop,” Soarin glared at her. Fleetfoot blinked and stared at him incredulously. “Fleetfoot, I appreciate your more laid back manner, I really do, but…” he looked at Spitfire. “This IS a serious manner. Spitfire, more than anypony knows the horrors they are capable of.”

Soarin would never forget it either. While he didn’t quite agree with Spitfire’s view of the Shadowbolts due to Descent and Starry Skies, he could understand why she felt that way. They caused her so much pain during their last confrontation. Spitfire’s own negative emotions were amplified and used to control her, possess her and turn her against her allies. It was traumatizing for Soarin as well, seeing his best friend in so much pain. It nearly destroyed him when he saw her shaking and crying as her body moved against her will, when she begged him to kill her. Spitfire had very good reasons to despise the Shadowbolts, something that Fleetfoot should have been more sensitive to.

“Fine…” Fleetfoot crossed her arms and leaned back, puffing her cheeks out. Soarin sat back down beside Spitfire and sighed. He winced again as another small pang of discomfort shot through his head. He reached up and rubbed his forehead beside the horn. Spitfire looked towards him again.

“Thanks for understanding, Soarin,” she thanked him. Soarin stopped rubbing his forehead and smiled.

“No worries, but… don’t take your anger out on Fleet,” he suggested. “You know she’s just trying to keep the mood up.”

“Time, place, and circumstance,” Spitfire grunted and shook her head.

“I’m right over here, you know,” Fleetfoot huffed.

“Fleet, shush,” Soarin ordered. “Yes, but it wasn’t good to do it in the middle of the mess hall. You’re trying to keep this all as quiet as possible until we know more right? Well, I bet a lot of Wonderbolts are wondering what that was all about. Just… don’t overexert yourself. You’ve got us to help.”

“I know, I know…” Spitfire grumbled. She glanced at Soarin again as he rested his head against the back of the couch. “Okay, now you’re worrying me, is your head okay?” Spitfire asked, changing the subject to show equal concern.

“I’ve… been having headaches lately,” Soarin admitted. Spitfire instantly sat up.

“Lately? How lately?” she asked, ready to scold him. Soarin shook his head.

“A couple of days, I’m keeping track of it Spitfire, don’t worry,” Soarin chuckled, knowing exactly what she wanted to hear. “I’ve been using the magic a lot more lately, and I’m starting to really get the hang of it. It’s been helping keep the headaches down, but it’s starting to feel like it used to again. You know, before Discord stepped in.

“It’s not going to be a problem in the show, is it?” Spitfire asked with concern. Soarin shook his head.

“No, it’s only been bad in the morning. Plus…” he smiled. “You know who we’re bringing along right? My personal head-pain reliever,” he joked. Spitfire rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, just don’t be too lovey-dovey with her, okay? This is a professional event,” Spitfire clarified. Soarin shook his head.

“That’s not her style anyway, we’ll keep it in private,” Soarin assured her. Spitfire nodded before turning back and relaxing back on the couch again.

Soarin looked up to see squad seven gathering in another part of the lobby. Storm Front had just arrived, joining Point Dex, Macho Savage, and Lead Runner to complete the squad. They still had ten minutes before they had to leave for Canterlot Central Station. The recruits were probably on their way. Soarin checked around the lobby again. Where was…?

“Okay, has ANYPONY seen Air Mach?” Spitfire said with a grunt of frustration. “I swear, if I have to talk to him about punctuality again…” she trailed off as she looked about the lobby. Soarin stood up to get a better look, but it didn’t take him long. Air Mach was coming down the stairs beside Silver Lining.

“For the last time, son. I don’t want a pair of ‘stallionly shades,’” Silver said, his ears and brow flat.

“But they would look amazing on you!” Air Mach appealed to Silver while holding a pair out to him. By the look on Silver’s face, Soarin could tell this had been going on for a couple of minutes at least. Silver looked like he was trying his hardest not to punch Air Mach in the face. The two kept walking into the lobby as Air Mach tried to convince Silver to put on the sunglasses.

“C’mon old timer! I can’t stand seeing the stallionliest stallion not make use of this stallionly opportunity!” Air Mach said while striking a pose and pointing directly upward, his cape flowing despite there not being any wind indoors. Silver’s left eye twitched and he gritted his teeth. He stopped in his tracks and turned his head to Air Mach sharply.

“I don’t want your damn shades, you chuckling fuck-biscuit!” Silver yelled as he turned and walked towards the mail counter, leaving Air Mach behind.

“That’s a new one!” Fleetfoot slumped down into her chair while giggling.

“WHO WANTS STALLION SHADES?!” Air Mach zipped over to them, completely unaffected by Silver’s insult. Fleetfoot immediately glared, scrunched her face and tried to push herself further into the couch as he held the shades towards her.

Soarin burst out laughing. Air Mach got so much backlash, but he never gave a damn. Before anything else could happen though, Soarin was quickly distracted. The recruits had just emerged from the barracks.


Dash waved at Spitfire as they came into view. She glanced back at the others, they all looked excited and anxious, even Squall.

“Alright, everypony!” Spitfire said as she stood up. “To the station!” she ordered as she grabbed her duffle bag.

“I know we’re only along for the ride…” Dash said as she glanced back at the others. “But this is where we start, guys!” she said eagerly. Call it her inner captain emerging, but she felt like giving a little pep talk and the rest all nodded in agreement. “WHOA!” Dash suddenly tripped and fell flat on her face, the other four all stopped as she did. “What the…?!” Dash looked up just in time to hear.

“Awareness!” Silver’s voice came from behind her. Dash looked up to see her squad looking back and Silver’s tail disappearing down the west hallway. She grumbled as she stood up.

“That sneaky, old…”


Something was up, Dash didn’t know what, but something was amiss. From the moment they left the compound to when they arrived in the station, squad one and squad seven seemed a little tense. She knew they were going to a professional event, but it wasn’t like this was new to any of them. She could understand if Storm was acting anxiously, but all of them? Even Spitfire? They all looked tense.

Dash wondered if there was something they weren’t told. It wouldn’t be the first time something had been sprung on her by the elites. In fact, she was used to that happening by now. If it really was something, Storm had a better poker face than she gave him credit for. They all went right to bed after they finished playing last night and they’d only been up for about two hours. Storm hadn’t mentioned anything special about this trip… he may have been told not to or…

Maybe she was thinking too hard. Or perhaps her awareness had already increased from Silver’s training. If there was something going on, she’d know soon enough.

For now they were just waiting for the train to be ready. It had arrived at the station a few minutes ago and had unloaded all its passengers. They just had to wait for the station crew to finish cleaning out the cars before they boarded. The three back coaches seemed to be reserved for them. Each was marked with a sign that had a big ‘W’ on it. Two for the three squads traveling, and one for the team of ten earth pony security guards and five unicorns from their office staff Spitfire had grabbed from the compound before they left.

Dash was waiting with her friends, but perked up when she saw Soarin break away from the elites as they all waited. She kept her eyes on him as he went and sat down on a bench nearby. He looked around after sitting, realizing he forgot to pick up his duffle bag. He spotted it, and used his magic to hover it over to him, setting it down beside the bench. Dash chuckled, finding it amusing that Soarin had seemed to become so accustomed to having magic that he almost used it like a unicorn now.

Then she thought about the night before. Specifically when Storm asked her how they were doing. She thought about her answer and how Storm made her think about… her and Soarin. She had it much easier than Storm did, who was stuck in a long distance relationship with Derpy. But while Dash was in the same place as Soarin… she felt like they were still being held apart. In some ways she felt she had it WORSE than Storm… because her love was right there, but she could seldom touch him. They were in the same place, but separated by schedule and rank. It… really sucked.

But… he was beyond important to her. So what would she do? Exactly what she said she would do. She would have to try harder for him…. And make use of every possible moment she got.

Such as…

Right now.

Without a word, Dash broke away from her squad and walked towards the bench.


Soarin sighed as he leaned back on the bench and looked towards Spitfire and Fleetfoot. Thankfully Air Mach had them both occupied with his usual silliness because it was REALLY hard to get Spitfire and Fleetfoot to back off of each other. The two were great friends, but when they had disputes… it wasn’t a cat fight, it was a saber-toothed tiger fight. It would be less painful to get caught between two freight trains in a head-on collision.

But Soarin understood where both of them were coming from. Spitfire was beyond tense about anything Shadowbolt related. As the lead captain, the safety and wellbeing of all the Wonderbolts was her top priority. She knew from firsthoof experience what the Shadowbolts were capable of. The amount of pain they caused her with the use of their magic crystals was something she wanted no other Wonderbolt to experience. Fleetfoot should have considered that, but at the same time, it was Fleetfoot’s thing to try and keep the mood positive even in situations of stress. Spitfire shouldn’t have yelled at her.

Since they left the compound and arrived at the station, Soarin had been standing between them to prevent any further arguing. Luckily, Air Mach had kept Fleetfoot distracted for most of it, allowing Soarin to concentrate on trying to get Spitfire to RELAX. Something she really had trouble doing when she felt burdened. He did his best to hide the fact that his head was still aching a little. It worried him that the discomfort around the horn was returning, but he was confident he could handle it. Screw Discord and his verbal riddles and lack of clear points. He could do this.

Barely three hours into his day and he already felt a bit exhausted. The train ride to Cloudsdale was three hours, so hopefully he could relax, maybe take a nap… as long as Spitfire and Fleetfoot didn’t try to kill each other.

Comfort… that’s what he wanted right now. Not for any personal or emotional reason, he just felt more stressed than he needed to be. Of course, that made him think of one certain colorful mare of his.

“Soarin?”

He even thought he just heard her voice. Oh, wait… that was her voice.

Soarin turned his head to see Dash standing beside the bench, smiling at him. The smile alone was enough to make his day better already.

“Hey Dashie,” he greeted her with a smile.

“Tired already?” she smirked. “The day has hardly started,” she chuckled as she sat down on the bench besides Soarin.

“It’s been an interesting morning,” Soarin said with a sigh. “Had to stop the ladies from tearing each other’s throats out,” he said sarcastically as he lazily waved a hoof towards them. “Air Mach’s got them occupied though.”

“So is something going on? Everypony seems a little… tense,” Dash suddenly asked. Soarin blinked. Dash was too perceptive, but… she would know shortly.

“Well, yeah… you’re going to be a little more involved than first planned,” he revealed. It wasn’t like it was going to be a secret. He glanced at Dash and saw that her eyes had widened. “No, you aren’t performing, don’t worry,” he said with a chuckle. Dash instantly exhaled.

“Sheesh, don’t scare me like that…”

“You’ll know soon,” Soarin assured her. “I think Spitfire is going to talk about it on the train so just sit tight.”

“You can’t tell me now?” Dash asked. Soarin shook his head.

“It’s her plan, I’d rather she give all the details, plus I just want to relax right now I’ve…rgh…” Soarin winced and put a hoof to his head.

Great, he didn’t want Dash to see that.

“Soarin?” her voice was instantly wrought with concern. He felt a hoof touch his shoulder. “Is it the magic?”

Soarin rubbed his forehead gently until the discomfort went away and sighed.

“It’s been a little irritating, but nothing bad… just a reminder, I guess. I’m confident I can keep it under control… I’ve been using it a lot lately. It could be that too,” he explained.

“Yeah, I saw you unicorn your bag over to you a moment ago,” Dash giggled. Soarin blinked and looked at her while smirking. ‘Unicorn’ his bag over to him? That was a fun way of putting it.

He kept his eyes on Dash as she smiled at him. His thoughts trailing back to the night before when he talked to Wave in the break room. Even with Dash now living in the compound… it still felt like they didn’t get enough time together. Their schedules weren’t lining up, making it almost no different than it had been. Talking to Wave and watching Fire and Misty the night before made him think long and hard about it… and he realized that he needed to start doing everything he possibly could to make time for the two of them… and most importantly, take advantage of every opportunity. Like right now.

He readied to reach his arm around her, but before he could, she leaned into him, resting her head against his shoulder. It took him by surprise, but it was exactly what he wanted.

“I don’t see you enough, I don’t like that,” Dash said with a pout as she sighed. Soarin reached his arm around her and gave her a light squeeze.

“You read my mind… I was about to say that,” Soarin said as he gently rubbed her hoof against her opposite shoulder.

“Do you think we could—”

“Alright everypony! On the train! Let’s go!” Spitfire called out, cutting off Dash.

Soarin’s heart sank. He was enjoying the brief moment immensely, and it was cut incredibly short.

“Dammit…” Dash groaned as she lifted her head off his shoulder, but Soarin held onto her tightly. His eyes filled with determination as she looked up at him.

“We have three hours on the train,” he said adamantly. “Once Spitfire gives us leave, I’m spending the whole time with you.” Soarin could not describe how good it felt to watch her face light up as he said it. He smiled in return, leaned forward, and planted a light kiss on her cheek. “C’mon, let’s get on the train,” he said as he stood up and she followed right behind.

Spitfire said not to be too lovey-dovey, but whatever, it was just a kiss on the cheek, and as much as Dash felt uncomfortable with public affection, he could almost feel the longing radiating off of her. It felt necessary. Soarin could also feel how much she wanted to spend time with him. They both wanted the same thing and it all started with this train ride. They had the time, so they were going to use it.

But first, Dash had to listen up… because Spitfire had a special job for her and her squad.


Upon Spitfire’s orders they all piled into the back train car, which was a typical first-class passenger seating style car. Dash had ridden in one more than once in her life, having been friends with multiple princesses. They also had access to the next car up, but Dash didn’t get to see what it was. The next car after that was occupied by the Wonderbolt security team and staff.

“I saw that,” Little Star teased Dash as they made their way into the car and set their bags down.

“You know, I’d be angry,” Dash began. “But you’d be surprised how used to being spied on Soarin and I are. Fleetfoot is terrible.”

“I don’t blame her!” Star hovered up and gave Dash a big hug around the neck. “You two are just TOO adorable!”

“Okay, okay,” Dash chuckled as she leaned away from Star. She suddenly flinched as she felt herself being hugged from the other side. She looked to see Twister hugging her too.

“Can I kiss you too?” he asked while snickering uncontrollably. Dash flattened her brow.

“Absolutely not,” she answered instantly, and then sneered. “But you can kiss Matteo,” she said jokingly.

“OKAY!” Twister let go and hovered towards Matteo while puckering his lips. Matteo instantly reclined.

“You do and I’m stuffing you in your bag!” Matteo threatened as Twister kept moving towards him.

“Captain’s orders!” Twister shrugged.

Matteo grabbed Twister out of the air and did exactly what he said he would do, stuffing Twister into his own duffle bag and zipping it up around the neck. Dash was actually surprised that Twister fit in his own bag. Then again, Twister did a lot of things that seemed physically impossible.

“Alright, everypony listen up!” Spitfire caught their attention. They all turned and stood attention instantly. Matteo ended up doing so while still holding onto Twister’s bag. Spitfire blinked when she saw Twister, in his own bag, head sticking out, and dangling from Matteo’s shoulder, but she disregarded the shenanigans and looked at all the recruits.

Dash gulped as she watched Spitfire take a few paces back and forth, the lead squad and squad seven standing behind her. What sort of task did she have for them?

“So… I know you were all outside my office when you heard us talking about Shadowbolts… besides Dash… I’m sure none of you have heard of them and it would take a LONG time to explain, so I’m not going to bother with the details right now,” she said while glancing at Dash. “I’ll let Dash explain it to you later, anyway…” she paused and looked back at the elites. “In short… they are an organization of highly skilled flyers such as ourselves… but they engage in much less respectable work. We’ve confronted them more than once in the past, and in our last encounter, they were forced to disperse. However, we have reason to believe they have not fully disbanded… and are planning something. We’re encountered multiple Shadowbolts in the recent past, all watching from afar as if spying on us. Why? We haven’t a clue, but I’m determined to find out. Yesterday, squad three encountered a Shadowbolt right here in Canterlot, one that my squad and squad seven encountered in Manehatten a little while ago. This is the first repeat appearance, leading me to believe they are not working separately and all have a similar agenda.”

She turned sharply to the recruit squad while looking specifically at Dash.

“With the current trend of sightings, I’m more than confident that one might show up during our trip… but the elites have to focus on the show and the media. So, while I DO want you all to become familiar with the show process, I have a special assignment for you,” she nodded, addressing Dash as the captain of her squad. “You five are going to be our hidden eyes. By now, the Shadowbolts are aware that we’ve seen them… and they will probably be keeping their distance from the elites… however, they may not be as aware of the recruits. So I’m assigning you all to keep a sharp eye out for suspicious activity… and if you see a Shadowbolt… give us a sign and pursue them until we can catch up. I’ll let Rainbow Dash brief you all on the details, such as what to look for and what they look like since she has been informed of these activities already. We’ll arrive at the ground station below Cloudsdale in three hours. That will be all.”

Dash took in her orders as she watched Spitfire turn away. She knew Spitfire wanted her to get involved… but…

She turned to her squad. Squall, Star, and Matteo all looked incredibly confused. Twister was just sneering… as usual.

“Uh…” Dash gritted her teeth. “Yeah, give me a second…” she left the recruits behind and approached Spitfire. “Captain!” she called out. Spitfire turned away from Soarin and lifted an eyebrow. Dash looked back and forth before leaning in and whispering. “Spitfire… this is a bit SUDDEN don’t you think? I mean…” Dash looked back at her squad as they all glanced between each other in bewilderment. “None of them know a THING about the Shadowbolts!”

“This has all been very sudden, Dash…” Spitfire spoke in a normal volume. “And due to the circumstances, I decided to let them in on it. With you as their captain, they will be much safer than anypony else we could have on the job. You know the Shadowbolts well, so it’s up to you to make sure they are informed,” she explained. “I’m counting on you here, Dash,” she continued. “The Shadowbolts aren’t stupid, they are wary of the elites, they won’t suspect a recruit squad looking out for them.”

Without another word, Spitfire turned and went to speak to Point Dex.

“But… I… we…” Dash stuttered. This was one hell of a task… and right out of the gate too. She sighed as she looked back at her squad again. Would they be ready for it?

“Sorry about not saying anything last night,” Storm’s voice came from beside Dash. “Spitfire wanted us to withhold information until we got on the train to avoid it spreading.”

“Hmph…” Dash pouted at Storm. “I guess I don’t have to kick your ass then. You’re really good at keeping a secret.”

“Captain’s orders,” Storm shrugged. “I mean, Soarin argued against the whole idea, but Captain Spitfire is not backing down from anything. She seems really determined to figure this all out.”

“I don’t blame her…” Dash nodded as she thought about it and looked towards Spitfire. She remembered what Spitfire went through. If Dash were in her position, she’d take all the precautions she could as well. “Well… I’ve got a lot of explaining to do… I better get started,” Dash sighed as she turned to the recruits.

She glanced over her shoulder, looking for Soarin. He was actually looking at her too, but he was also caught up in a discussion. The two exchanged sad looks. It seemed their time on the train would be all taken up. Dash sighed as she looked back and started moving towards the recruits.

Storm looked between Soarin and Dash as the two exchanged eye contact. After a moment of thought, he followed behind Dash.

“Well guys…” Dash began as she made it back to her squad. They all looked at her intently, ready for an explanation. “I’ve got a lot to tell you so—”

“Dash, hold on,” Storm cut her off as he approached.

“Huh?” Dash blinked and looked at Storm as he walked up beside her. Storm looked back at Soarin before looking at her.

“I’ll get them up to speed on the more recent stuff,” he made a head motion towards Soarin. “Go spend time with Soarin.”

“What? But… I need to…” Dash looked between Storm, Soarin, and the recruits.

“You can tell them all about it at the hotel tonight after we split to our assigned rooms,” Storm cut her off. “Go,” he repeated the head motion.

“Um…” Dash bit her lip as she looked back towards the recruits. She wanted to do exactly what Storm was saying, but she had an obligation here… a job to do.

“Hey,” Star hovered up and poked Dash in the chest. “I’m confused as hell, but we want our captain to be happy too, you know?” she smiled. "We can wait a little while, go on…” she encouraged. Dash glanced at Matteo and Squall. Matteo nodded in agreement. Squall just grunted, but gave no protest. Twister had disappeared into his own bag and was rolling around in it. Dash smiled… her squad, no… her friends all understood her… and cared.

“Okay, I promise you’ll all get a full explanation tonight,” she said as she looked over her shoulder. Soarin was no longer mingling with the squads and was sitting alone on a seat. The train whistle blew and lurched as the cars began to move. Dash looked back to her friends and nodded. “Thanks guys,” she said with a smile as she turned and moved towards Soarin.

She nearly broke into a trot as she approached the seat from behind. Her heart filled with so much excitement and anticipation as it all came rushing back so quickly after being depleted moments ago.

“Soarin?” she said quietly. His ears stood up and he turned and looked at her. “About those three hours,” she said with a wide smile.

“Huh? Don’t you have to explain the situation?” he asked as he glanced back and saw the recruits looking towards both of them. Dash shook her head.

“They said they’ll wait till tonight,” Dash blushed lightly. “For us.”

Soarin blinked, looking back at the recruits again before smirking at Dash.

“We are quite the famous couple, aren’t we?” he joked as Dash rolled her eyes.

“It’s all me,” she said smugly as Soarin stood up and gave her an amused look. He looked around before putting a hoof on her shoulder.

“We have some private cabins in the second car, let’s go there,” he suggested.

“That’s the best thing I’ve heard all week,” Dash said giddily as the two of them made their way towards the front of the car, but not before Fleetfoot whistled and hooted at the two of them leaving. Spitfire looked at them curiously as they left and was about to question Dash, but Fleetfoot held her back.


Soarin led Dash into the second car as the train clattered and clacked along the rails, the car swaying ever so slightly as it was pulled along. As Dash closed the door behind them and they noticed nopony was present, not even in the hallway, the two smiled at each other and it was less than a second before Dash launched herself at Soarin and hugged him tightly.

“Whoa!” Soarin chuckled as she almost knocked him over. He returned Dash’s hug and gave her a tight squeeze. “Easy Dash, let’s get to one of the cabins first.”

“Well, you have to do it with me hanging off of you… tough shit,” she stated firmly.

“The things I do for love,” Soarin said sarcastically as he tried moving. The hallway bent to the right and moved along the right side of the car. There were five private cabins lined up on the left of the hallway, each big enough for two to three ponies to comfortably occupy and still have enough space to move around.

Soarin, however, found it hard to reach the first with the way he was being ‘restrained.’ He knew Dash wasn’t going to let go of him, so he tried to pick her up with his wing like he had done more than once in the past. However, she was clinging to his neck, making her in an unfavorable position to perform the usual ‘sexy large wings’ maneuver. So… he decided to use option two.

“What the—?” Dash yelped as a blue aura surrounded her. She looked up at Soarin to see his eyes focused on her and a soft blue light surrounding the horn. Before she knew it, she was hoisted up and off of him, floated up above and placed on his back. As soon as she landed the magic released and she quickly latched to him to prevent herself from falling.

“Much better,” Soarin said with a smirk.

“You and your strap-on princess magic,” Dash giggled as she sneered and pulled herself further up. She wrapped her arms under his chin as she propped herself up on his head. “GRRR!” she growled playfully as she lightly bit down and tugged on his right ear.

“Oh no! Not my ear! Whatever will I do?” Soarin joked as he continued down the hall and stopped in front of the first private cabin. He let Dash continue to cutely assault him as he slid the door open and ducked to get them both through the door. The cabin was small, with a large, cushy, green bench on one side and a set of four, comfortable looking bunks on the left. There wasn’t much vertical space in these bunks so the bench looked much more suitable to relax on. It looked so comfortable it could almost be a couch. There was a small window on the other side of the cabin, letting in light from outside. Soarin closed the door behind them and pulled the shade down over the door window. He chuckled as he felt the tugging shift from his right ear to his left. “Well, we have a cabin to ourselves now… or are you going to eat my ears the whole way?”

“I don’t take prisoners,” Dash said between ear noms.

“If you say so,” Soarin smirked before turning and moving to sit down. It took Dash a moment to realize that if he sat down… with her on his back…

“Whoa! Wait! HURK!” Dash grunted as Soarin sat down and sandwiched her between the cushion and Soarin’s back.

“Whoops!” Soarin acted the fool as Dash flailed behind him.

“Soarin, can’t breathe…” Dash sputtered before Soarin leaned forward to let her out. She shifted beside him while catching her breath, Soarin smiling mischievously at her as she took deep breaths. She eventually stopped and shot a playful glare at him.

The two broke out of the fun the moment their eyes met. No words were said and no faces or silly expressions were made. They just stared, taking in each other’s eyes as if they hadn’t seen each other in years. Because that’s how long it felt. They were so important to each other that mere weeks without a moment like this one felt like ages.

They both slowly leaned in, closing their eyes, Dash hooking her hoof with Soarin’s as they closed the gap and their lips met softly. Their mouths locked together and held position as they shared a long, gentle moment of love that both of them desired greatly. Soarin reached his other hoof over and held it gingerly against her cheek as they slowly parted, caressing her face as they moved just far enough not to be kissing, moving no farther to look into each other’s eyes again as closely as possible.

Then Soarin felt slight vibrations pass through his hooves. He looked curiously at Dash and noticed she was shaking… shivering. Soarin pulled back and examined her. Her ears were flopped down, her eyes squinting slightly and her lips parted just enough to see her lightly pressing her teeth together.

“Dash?” Soarin said her name with concern. She didn’t show any signs of crying or sadness, it was almost as if something external was causing her to move in such a way.

What he didn’t consider, was that it was him.

Dash suddenly leaned heavily into him, digging her cheek into his neck.

Art by: Foxenawolf

She inhaled sharply as she felt their bodies touch, as she felt her fur brush with his. She continued to shiver and hold him tightly, but it was because she wanted him… she NEEDED him. He had an intoxicating effect on her.

Soarin himself felt shivers run through him as she expressed her need for the intense physical contact from him, his body responding without a moment’s thought. He brought his arms around her and pulled them tightly to her body, helping her press herself into him as he rested his chin atop her head. It felt so good… knowing, seeing, and feeling how much the mare he loved needed him. It only acted in boosting his desire to make more time for her. In fact, seeing her respond to him like this made him feel terrible about not realizing their place and making the effort sooner.

Soarin reached up and lightly ran his hoof over her mane. The soft motion earned a content, squeaky sigh from Dash as she shifted in attempt to snuggle herself even further into him, her wings twitching as the satisfaction of feeling him against her reverberated throughout her body. She twitched as Soarin moved his nose and gently nuzzled it against her ear near the base of it. Soarin normally attacked her sweet spots quickly, but this time he touched her ear as lightly as possible to create a good feeling instead of an intense one. The tingling sensation was light and comfortable.

Soarin took it one notch further, exhaling, breathing warm breath down on her sensitive ear.

“Hgn…” Dash tensed under the sensation, accidentally biting down on Soarin’s shoulder.

“Ow…” Soarin winced lightly, but smiled, knowing it was his own fault.

“Sorry…” Dash apologized as she blushed and sighed heavily. “This just feels way too good,” she said as continued to nuzzle her head into his neck.

“I couldn’t agree more,” Soarin replied as he rested his chin on her head again and gave her another tight squeeze.

“I really…” Dash paused to squeeze Soarin back. “REALLY wish we could do this more…” she said as continued to enjoy the touch of his body and the scent of his fur in such close proximity.

“Rainbow Dash has the cuddle bug?” Soarin chuckled. “Who’d have thought…”

“I’m serious Soarin,” Dash huffed as she held tight to him.

“I know,” Soarin reached up and stroked her mane again. “You DO know that I love your toughness though. It makes it even more charming when you soften up for me,” he said with sincerity.

“Good recovery,” she snickered as she leaned her head back, pressing the crown of her head into his neck and brushing the tip of her nose against his chin.

“I’ve learned from rough landings,” Soarin said as he answered her gesture by tipping his nose down and nuzzling it with hers. “But you are right. I DO want to do this more, and Dash…” he paused as he bent his neck down and rested his chin on her shoulder while rubbing his cheek against hers. “And I’ve decided I’m going to make that happen.”

Dash was so busy taking in the feeling of Soarin snuggling his cheek to hers that it took her a second to register what he had said.

“What? But…” Dash wanted that. Sweet Celestia she wanted that. In fact, she was going to try and do that herself, but she wanted to make time for HIM. She didn’t want him to interrupt his MUCH more important schedule for her. It was important for both sides of the relationship to give to each other equally, but she felt Soarin’s sacrifices would be much heavier than hers. “I don’t want to make your schedule any harder than it is…” she reluctantly said as they remained with their heads side by side. “My schedule is much less important, I should be the one making time for you,” she tried to reason, but she felt Soarin shake his head lightly on her shoulder.

“Dash, I’m already as high as I can possibly be in my job. You have a mountain to climb. You do what you have to do and schedule what you need in order to advance your career, and I will figure out when I can fit myself into that,” he pulled away slightly so the two could turn and look each other in the eye. “Shifting around my personal schedule is easy… one of the perks that comes with being part of the lead squad,” Soarin said with a wink. Dash blinked and grinned smugly.

“I suppose I can work you into my schedule, I’m a very busy captain you know,” she said sarcastically.

“That’s the smarm I love to hear,” Soarin said while hugging her tightly and rubbing his nose into her neck, making her giggle and kick her legs out as she clamped her hooves over his arms.

“Ow, hey!” Dash giggled as the horn poked her in the cheek. “Watch the forehead extension!” she exclaimed as she tried to gain the upper hoof. As she attempted to shift and fight back, they suddenly tipped to the side slightly and both froze.

“Uh oh…” Soarin said as they tipped a little more.

“We’re going down, aren’t we…?” Dash said calmly as they started tipping further.

“I believe we are,” Soarin chuckled. They both yelped quietly as they tipped over and bounced down onto the cushion. They landed side by side, still holding onto each other and laughing. The fit of giggling died down and the two looked into each other eyes again as they rested beside one another on the absurdly comfortable bench. Dash’s body was half off the edge, the only thing keeping her on were Soarin’s arms holding onto her. Dash pulled herself forward and once again snuggled herself as tightly as she could into Soarin’s body, making them both fit on the bench as well as reveling in the feeling of their close proximity again.

“I love you, Dashie,” Soarin said as he placed a hoof behind her head.

“Love you too,” Dash replied, muffled against his chest. Soarin stroked her mane once before she pulled her head back, reached up and grabbed his face. “Quit petting me and kiss me,” she demanded before pressing her mouth to his. After one kiss with a little more oomph behind it, Soarin pulled back.

“Okay,” he said jokingly as Dash pouted and yanked him back forward. They didn’t attack each other, it was still softer than it was rough, but they both put a little more passion into it as they kissed, softly sliding their hooves up and down each other’s backs as they did. It was an interesting mix causing a gentle moment that was still filled with strong desire. Soarin chuckled as he felt his body get pressed against the seat cushion. Dash was pushing so hard against him that he was almost being wedged between the seat and back rest.

Dash released Soarin’s mouth and nestled her head into the crook of Soarin’s neck again, shivering and breathing sharply as she did. Soarin was loving every moment of it. The amount of passion Dash was showing for him and just being close to him… the way she shivered at the feeling of them being so close together… knowing he had such an astounding effect on her, it created such a warm feeling in his heart.

Soarin rubbed his chin gently against the top of her head as she continued to cling to him tightly, her body calming down at the soft touch. She sighed contently again before nuzzling her head against his chest and shoulders again. She just simply, could not get enough of him. They remained still for a moment, cuddling and perfectly comfortable. Now feeling relaxed, the two parted slightly to look at each other again.

They smiled at each other before leaning in and sharing a brief kiss before snuggling up as tightly as they could, enjoying the feeling of each other’s bodies nestled tightly together.

Simply being in each other’s presence and openly allowing other into their personal space. Feeling their fur touch and fitting their bodies together like a two piece puzzle. There was no other pony they could ever feel this right with, who they could ever be this intimate with. It was something incredibly special and they wanted to feel it as often as possible.

That would come in time as Soarin figured out how to work their schedules together, but they were both happy to hear that they would have more of a means to see each other soon.

For now they just had to enjoy what they could get…

Because who knew when they would get another chance?

---To Be Continued---

Author's Note:

Before anyone says anything... yes Cloudsdale is a sky city... the reason the unicorns were brought along was for enchanting the earth pony security guards with cloud walking like in the episode of the show. It will all be shown in the next chapter.

AND OMG SO MUCH FLUUUUUFFFFF AND LOOOOOOVE!

Soarin and Dash realize they aren't getting what they thought they would out of their new lives... its time they made time for each other.

Onward to a show! I wonder what will happen? :pinkiecrazy:

Thanks for reading! i hope you enjoyed!:eeyup:

PreviousChapters Next