• Published 20th Apr 2012
  • 17,058 Views, 1,176 Comments

Discordant - ezra09



When Discord finds a crack in his prison he begins whispering to a lonely Scootaloo.

  • ...
23
 1,176
 17,058

Epilogue: Alone Again

Scootaloo was tired. She’d been awake for almost forty hours, and run through the Everfree Forest twice. She’d pulled a muscle catching Spike when the bridge had gone out, and worked it running through the forest as a distraction.

She’d been scared. Not just of the monsters in the forest, but of what could happen if her plan had gone wrong. Twilight Sparkle might not have trusted Spike’s letter. If they hadn’t been in Ponyville to meet him, nopony would have saved Scootaloo once she’d openly defied Discord.

She knew life could never go back to the way it was. She may have helped defeat Discord, but it was too little too late. Her friends could never forgive her for lying to them. She’d be lucky if they just ignored her. She’d helped turn Princess Celestia to stone, there would have to be some kind of punishment for that.

Her cutie mark sat unchanged on her flank, showing the world what she’d done. She’d have to learn to live with her mistakes. Maybe she really would push ponies away for the rest of her life.

She shook her head. In harmony or discord, she’d decided she wouldn’t allow her life to be dictated by a single mark.

All things considered, Scootaloo had every reason to be tired. When Twilight and her friends left for Canterlot to use the elements on Princess Celestia, barely glancing at her or Spike, she was more relieved than anything. At least she’d have a chance to sleep before anypony tried to banish her.

The Elements of Disharmony had awkwardly wandered away, not sure where Discord’s defeat left them. Only she and Spike had really known what they were doing when they freed him, and she was sure it would count for something.

“So what now?” Spike asked.

Scootaloo shook her head. “I don’t know. You?”

Spike stared at his feet, pensive. “I think I’m going to go talk to Twilight.”

“You think she’ll listen to you?”

“I dunno, but I have to try. She was in a pretty bad place when Discord got to her and her friends. I think she’ll understand.” He frowned. “That doesn’t make it any better, but I hope they’ll at least be able to forgive us.”

“I hope so too. It’d be nice not to end up in Tartarus.”

Spike chuckled at that. “You know, whatever happens, I’m there for you.”

Scootaloo smiled. “I know. Same to you.”

Spike nodded and started toward the library. He turned after a few steps, “Oh, I just thought you should know what took me so long. When I got to Ponyville, not everypony was there.”

Scootaloo had figured as much. “Rainbow Dash didn’t trust us?”

Spike smiled. “She was the only one there when I showed up. The others caught up to her a few minutes later.”

That was weird, Scootaloo thought. Then again, Rainbow Dash wouldn’t run and hide if somepony was in trouble. If there was a chance to save Equestria, she’d take it. The Element of Loyalty to the end.

Scootaloo went to the one place she could think of. The treehouse. Her old blanket was still there, in the corner she’d kicked it to when Dash had surprised her. She took it and a curled into a ball.

It was a relief, being back in the old clubhouse. She knew it couldn’t last, but at least tonight, she’d have a place to sleep. She almost whispered a good night, but realized nopony would hear it. It hadn’t really hit her that Discord was gone. She was alone again. She wasn’t sure how she felt about that.

*****

Scootaloo barely stirred at the sound of hoofsteps drawing closer against the wooden floor. She was too tired to care that she was being lifted and precariously balanced on something soft and warm. She just clung to her blanket.

She almost woke up as she was jostled lightly. She might have seen the multicolored flash of a rainbow mane and felt the steady beat of wings, but the movement stopped after a minute or two and she fell deeper into sleep. She clutched the thick, warm blanket tightly and cuddled down into the soft cloud bed.

Somewhere deep down, she knew tomorrow would be something brighter.

Comments ( 141 )

Another thing I should point out for the Dash/Scootaloo argument is that Scootaloo never actually told Dash that the orphanage was that bad. And of course, don't forget that Discord was nudging Dash in the right direction to further manipulate Scootaloo.

:fluttercry: I'm sad to see this over, but it was such a brilliant fic. Maybe Scootaloo will be forgiven one day? :scootangel:

It's finally over. It's a little sad, the way everything turned out, but that is what made this ending so beautiful. I've read this whole story from beginning to end, and I'm glad that I have. I have no regrets. This is truly a wonderful story. What made me kinda sad was that Scootaloo will probably have to indeed live with that cutie mark her whole life. I thought it was just another one of Discord's tricks, but apparently it wasn't. But the way you ended it, with the slightest hint that Rainbow was there for her, made me smile.

Perhaps there is a brighter future for everyone after all. Thank you so much for writing this story. You truly are a great writer. I love the way you write. It's so simple, yet beautiful. No need for fanciful words. By making it simple, you have made it easy and enjoyable to read. Also, it's not draggy, and the plot moves on steadily. There's so much more I want to say, but I'll leave it here.

In the end, I just want to say kudos to you. You've earned it.

Terrific ride. I see she's keeping the cutie mark but I understand why now and it works. I enjoyed this story, sad to see it end but it had to.

Cheers

1062805 Funny thing is it still says incomplete! Also: Unsure what Rainbow's plans are for Scoots.

Nooooo !!! I don't want it to end ! :applecry: :pinkiesad2: :raritycry: :fluttershbad: That was my facorite fic ever !

I can't tell if I smell a sequel.

This is the epilogue, but it says incomplete? dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/sillyfilly_Scootaloo.png


Anyhow, if this is the ending, I like it. Things were resolved, but I can see where a sequel can come into play. Of course, this is assuming that the incomplete tag is lying to us. :twilightoops:

for some reason i sense a sequel to this. it may be the fact that some questions that escape me have gone unanswered though. great story dude:derpytongue2:

A great story, thank you for writing it :twilightsmile:

I'm glad that I saw this and decided to give it a read. Good job. :twilightsmile:

Great story. Somber ending, but I liked how R.D. still stuck by her after everything that happened.

1062938

I agree, it did feel like the endgame came rather quickly

I kinda like how open-ended the epilogue is. It lets the reader decide what happens to Scootaloo for themselves, but also leaves room for something more if the author feels like it.

This ending pleases me.

It's bittersweet and leaves everything beyond up to the imagination. Beautiful story, sir. Bravo.

So what happened with the princess, was Scoots punished, how did the Mane 6 react? So much untold!

I really like the ending, although I do hope we get a sequel or something which answers some of the remaining questions (like, what happens to the Evil Elements? And Luna?)

But I think you struck the perfect bittersweet touch.

1063033 Agreed. we need that question answered

I can't wait to see how this will all turn out for poor Scoots. :scootangel:

THAT"S IT ?!? I WAITED ALL THIS TIME FOR THIS STORY TO END SO.....INCOMPLETE !?! :pinkiegasp:


I mean this CAN"T BE THE END of the story ?!?

Discord's still out there and he causing Chaos and what not and the Princess is still in Stone and what of little Scootaloo, though she saved the day and came through in the end, she still has a bit to answer for...right ? :pinkiesad2:

I mean I feel so hurt and empty to see the story end this way....:fluttercry:

I truly don't know what else to say about this....ending as you call it as is told. :fluttershbad:

Perfect ending to a fantastic story.

I think most that can be said already has. I comment to simply express my appreciation for this fanfic, which I can now call one of my favourites.

It's sad that it has to end - but couldn't been done better. This is the end of a journey for those who stuck around from the beginning.

Or...LOVE IT! LOVE YOU! LOVE EVERYTHING!

1063116

Guild of Rouges and Cult of Nightmare Night is for Scootaloo now. :rainbowlaugh:
Or just one of them. Anyway, betrayal cutie mark is kinda nice in it's own way. If you played Team Fortress, then "I never was on your team".dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/Scootaloo_lolface.png

Sad ending. Or is it? :trollestia:
Maybe it is just first half of the story?

Edit: Aaww... Now it shows "Complete". :applecry:

That was the best fic ever. Thanks for making your contribution to us mortals ezra, text me when you get to Valhalla.:scootangel:

Not my favourite ending, but definitely well done.

Still hate the cutie mark system, and I like that Scootaloo disagrees with it too. Good thing her cutie mark is so ambiguous, all she has to do is make sure she's a stunner of a mare when she grows up and say that it's because she breaks hearts wherever she goes :twilightsheepish:

This story was fun and the first fanfic in a long time to make me constantly check if it had updated every few hours, kudos.

1063116

Are you sure you didn't miss something? Mainly about Discord and the princess? I mean, I could go into detail about what happens to every character afterwards, but I think that would just drag it out unnecessarily. And I have been toying with a sequel taking place a few years in the future, detailing how the entire event affected Scootaloo.

Excellent story! Discord is my hero!
Manipulating ponies to get him free, then get betray'd by the element of betray and become petrified again..In his world, everyone is getting trolled by Discord. Even Discord himself! :rainbowlaugh:
But one thing is there which I can't approve..Chrysalis to the moon? No offence, but..Poor moon!

Edit: I think this was one of the first stories which I tracked from the very first chapter to the last. Doesn't feel like 2 full months. But that's maybe because there's one day missing. :trollestia:

This was a very good series. It was definitely full of ups and downs. There may be questions that still are unanswered, but the author has left that to the reader imagination. A sequel could be written, but the is up to erza09. I, too, wonder what happens from here, but it isn't necessary.
Thanks erza09 for the ride.:pinkiesad2:

You rock. Also, now I want a ScootaSpike ship... *Nudge nudge* *cough-think-ya-can-put-that-in-cough* Sorry I just loves me some Spikeshipping... Anyway I really did enjoy this, though it still felt too bittersweet for me... But that's me being knit-picky. I think your an excellent writer and I wish you a great day.

1063233 Please do. I would love to know what happens.

Wonderful story. I started tracking and faved this just recently, and I must say I love the up and downs, the mix of darkness and hope throughout, and just and pinch of self-redemption at the end. True adventures are that, unpredictable, and things often don't go as planned, or even well for those in the journey. Some people forget conflict, is what makes things interesting, and I love the personal conflict, social conflicts between all the Elements, and of course, the big Bosses themselves were a great method of prolonged, manipulative conflict.

I must commend your writing...and if there is a hinted sequel, I shall look forward to that as well!

Eh... The last few chapters have felt far, far too rushed. You spent so long building Scootaloo up to the point where she was willing to commit betrayal while feeling it was the right thing to do... and then undid this all in the space of what seems like an hour or two tops. That's far too quick a change of heart for her and I feel the entire thing could have been better served by making Scootaloo take longer, after the Scoots/Dash confrontation (which was itself somewhat flat for such a much anticipated event) before she would be willing to admit that maybe they're right about Discord not being her friend.

She honestly believed Discord to be her friend, her best friend even, and she's all too eager (even with implied effects of her cutie mark) to turn on him based on what Dash - someone who has already lied and betrayed her in her eyes - has implied.

Plus it feels like the other members of the elements of disharmony aside from Crysalis got passed over when there could easily have been some more interaction between them and Scoots as she comes around to the conclusion that Discord (and to some extent Crysalis) are playing them all for fools.

Not sure how I feel about the Luna/Crysalis confrontation either... It was more in line with what was expected yes, but on the other hand it seemed too convenient that she could beat Crysalis alone so easily. It could have been more interesting if it was played up as part of a larger plan by those disaffected (Scoots, Spike, Gilda perhaps, Trixie too maybe if more was done with her based on Twilights 'lonliness' putdown earlier) with Discord as they turn on him.

Ahhh... On the whole Discordant was a good fic, and I did enjoy it, but I just do feel the end run could have been so much better going by how well done the earlier parts were.

1063233 MAKE IT!!! MAKE IT NOW!!! BRRAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHRAAAAAAARGHGHRAAA!!!!!:flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage:

1063233 Please make the sequel, I want to see Scootaloo's life after this.

This story was great but it can't end like this. What happens to Scootaloo and the other anti elements?

That was one of the best fics i've ever read!:rainbowkiss:
I'd look forward to a sequel:pinkiehappy:

This was a really great story and I loved it alot. I hope there's a sequel.

1) The conclusion and the epilogue were too short and rushed. The whole world just got turned upside down, yet the traitors-- the Elements of Disharmony--- were allowed to just wander away? I sense you got tired of writing and just wanted to finish the story.... but you really didn't finish it. There's at least another couple of chapter's worth of resolution left.... all the bearers of the Elements of Disharmony have to face the consequences of their actions, and face Celestia herself to boot. (Scootaloo and Diamond Tiara would get leniency as children, and probably Spike, too--- but Gilda and Trixie would be in some serious hot water. Luna's got some trouble coming her way too....)



2) All the counter-arguments I'm getting are persistently overlooking the central point I made: Scootaloo is a nine year old runaway child. Of course she didn't tell Dash about the orphanage, she was a runaway child. Of course she didn't tell her friends about her troubles, she was a runaway child. Of course she trusted Discord just because he was kind to her and helped her and fed her when she was starving, she was a runaway child. She was alone and hungry and afraid and the last adults she trusted with the truth had thrown her in an orphanage.

And a goddamn cosmic genie was promising her he could magic away all the bad things and make her whole world better. Why did she believe him? Because any sane nine year old kid would.

IRL, if a nine year old child is starving or freezing or being neglected or abused, and none of the adults around take note, who is ethically and morally responsible for that ignorance--- the child, who is alone and afraid and scared and whom experience has taught that adults, even well-meaning ones (and sometimes especially the well meaning ones) can cause misery-- or the adults, who are supposed to be smarter, wiser, and more observant than a nine year old child?

Rainbow Dash is often as dumb as a bag of hammers, but even she should have figured out that a child doesn't run away from a happy situation. And she was still a dick for berating a nine year old street orphan for not handling her circumstances as wisely or well as the eternally cool Rainbow Dash would.

The appropriate response when someone tells you "my life SUCKED and you never even noticed" is not "well so what, man up." It's "I know, I've been there, I should have known, I'm sorry."

1063722

1: Yes, I could have written a much more thorough resolution, but I don't believe it would have made the story any better. There are tons of views on Celestia as a troll or dictator, but this fic has her as an understanding and wise monarch. The Elements of Disharmony won't get away completely free, but they aren't about to be turned to stone for a thousand years either. She'd also listen to all sides of the stories, and understand that until they actually freed Discord, only Spike and Scootaloo knew what they were doing. The other four went along with it after the fact, but at least have the excuse of not knowing what was going on. Describing the next few days would have dragged the story out several chapters beyond its climax.

2: It's not really either of their faults. Rainbow Dash wrote to the orphanage expecting to find out Scootaloo was living there. When it turned out she had run away, Dash (nudged by Discord) immediately went to the orphanage, and was told by the ones working there that the best thing was to get Scootaloo off the streets. Having been an orphan and caring for herself, she agreed and wanted to make things easier for Scootaloo. She didn't have time to discus why Scootaloo ran away from the orphanage because Scootaloo freaked out and took off. She could have stayed the night with Dash and explained why she didn't want to go back, but she wasn't thinking clearly, and was of course being talked to by Discord.

When it came to their confrontation, Scootaloo had already turned Princess Celestia to stone and betrayed everyone who cared about her. Dash wasn't there to save Scootaloo, she wasn't thinking rationally. She wanted answers from Scootaloo. She should have been the responsible adult and tried to talk to Scootaloo, but Dash is only human(er, only pony) and she was pissed.

1063433

The last few chapters may be a bit rushed, but I had to decide between doing it slowly, turning Scootaloo against Discord bit by bit, or quickly. Had I done the former, I feel some of the tension would have been lost as my readers thought, "Oh look, another chapter full of Scootaloo realizing how much of an ass Discord is. Gee, I wonder where this is going." I think she could convince herself that Discord had her best interests at heart when no one was seriously being hurt, but between Spike being Discorded and grey after being manipulated, Gilda being straight up mind controlled, and the changeling army on its way to feed on the ponies of Equestria, Scootaloo couldn't fool herself anymore. People she cared about had been hurt, and a whole lot more were guaranteed to follow if she didn't do anything.

hmm I feel kinda bad for dicord. I always saw him a just misunderstood as none of his pranks caused any real harm. He acts like a kid with superpowers. or a ancient and bored spirit.

Even though Discord is still defeated in the end, it felt like so many things were left unsaid between Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo and it was all thanks to Discord and his powers of manipulation.

Even though it felt a little rush, I would have loved to see how the CMC reacted to Scootaloo's actions and redemption within this tale.:scootangel:

Eh, I give it a three out of five since the ending seemed a little weak and rushed to me, but overall a good fic.

Makes you wonder what will happen to Diamond Tiara, Gilda, or Trixie for that matter?

...wow
Very beautiful.
Really hope to see a sequel showing us how Scootaloo lives with the mark/lives afterwards!

1063433
Agreed. The last chapters did feel rushed. I too thought Scootaloo turned against Discord so easily, despite their rather strong friendship. Even if Discord was manipulating her, she didn't know that for a fact seeing as she never even asked him. Of course, asking him would've probably been detrimental to their plans, but still...

Also, the whole "Ah, God! Celestia is locked in stone thing!" is a big open question. As is the fate of the other Elements of Disharmony, and what's going to happen now that Chrysalis is trapped on the moon. Are the changlings completely mindless? So many unanswered questions, so little time.

Also, it seems like Discord was defeated quite easily in the end. Sure he called upon his Elements to do battle with the others, but other than that it seemed like he didn't put up much of a fight, which, arguably is how he'd canonically react, but still, it felt like after being turned to stone twice now he'd be a little bit more careful around the Elements.

That all being said, I did like the element where Scootaloo says "Goodnight" only for no one to respond. Even if she hates Discord now, and is glad he's gone, she probably would miss him... After all, regardless of whether or not Discord thought of her as a friend, Scootaloo certainly saw the friendship as genuine up to a point. Losing a friend probably isn't easy - even one as bad as Discord - especially when the rest of the world probably hates you now. Plus, as far as she knows, Discord did save the Cutie Mark Crusaders from certain death. Sure, if he really wanted he probably could've done more to stop the changling invasion (though, to be honest, there probably wasn't TOO much he could do, being locked in stone and all), but Scootaloo doesn't know that.

Honestly, if there was a sequel I would hope it would go into detail about Scootaloo questioning if she really did make the right decision, or if she should have stuck with Discord to the end. As well as going into extra details about the Elements of Disharmony, Celestia, Spike, Chrysalis and of course, Scootaloo's fate. How the world has changed since Discord came back and was defeated, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom's relationship with Scoots, and so on.

Actually, I'm rather curious about whether Discord really would have fixed their problems had he gotten around to it; getting rid of Cutie Marks, fixing Spike up with Rarity, and whatnot. If there is a sequel, I'd hope for more Discord in general, but it looks like he can't even talk to anyone anymore. At least, for now.

All in all, it was really good story, even if it did seem rushed near the end, and a lot of details were left out. The lack of details is excusable though, and it always leaves room open for a sequel, too. So, I'm rather happy with how everything turned out in the end. :pinkiesmile:

1063433
Th point of her cutie mark is that she's willing to betray everyone so easy. That's why the cutie mark system sucks so much for Scootaloo. She'll spend her whole life with a constant reminder that the thinhg she's best at is betraying all of her friends. Her change of heart only seems so sudden because it's supposed to be really sudden to highlight how easily she betrays others.
In other words, point of story= cutie marks are bad, especially for Scootaloo because the tyhing she's best at is betrayal.
And so it turns out that Discord had a point all along. Sorry if this is rambling...:pinkiehappy:
Edit: Oh damn just reread the last few sentences again and it kinda goes along with my whole "Scootaloo changes her mind really easily/betrays other easily" point. Also, 1064250

???

why does lord discord allways lose? in fact...why does none of the awsome charaters win?

I rather like how this played out. The last bit leaves hope that everything might turn out okay, although Celestia's comment to Scoots before getting stoned leads me to believe that she won't get off scot-free.
Kinda silly how Discord thought his plan soul work in the first place though. The whole concept of chaos kind of denotes that things won't work like they're supposed to.:trollestia:

A toast! To the future! And a truly awesome story!

Login or register to comment