• Published 14th May 2015
  • 1,247 Views, 30 Comments

Xenoblade: Another World - IAmNotSmartest



Even the strength of a Mortal's Monado can't erase two god's power completely. Only banish it.

  • ...
5
 30
 1,247

Monado I

A number of hours later...

Chink

Chink

Chink

Chink

The mining pony chipped away at the crystals. For anyone else to have been doing so as long as him, it would have surely driven them mad with tedium. But for a pony who's talent was patience, it was not an issue. It was his job to excavate the valuable gemstones beneath Canterlot Castle. The monotony of the pickax's strikes was soothing to him. He enjoyed having time to think to himself, and it paid rather well. In short, he was happy.

Chink

Chink

Clunk

'Clunk?' Thought the miner. 'It never goes clunk.'

A small protrusion of red had appeared in the place he had struck. This greatly confused him, as he'd been mining white smokey quartz, and the geologist had said that the vein continued for some time. He decided to uncover... whatever this thing was.

...

He broke the edged object from the last vestiges of the crystal that imprisoned it. Despite the small chunks of crystal still attached to it, the object was quite impressive looking. A red circle with a glass disc inside was at the base, and a long extension of the same red metal protruded from that circle. The whole thing was overlaid with a shocking blue pattern. As the miner held the smaller, handle-like end in his hoof, the lines began glowing, a surge of light streaming along the lines.

'They have found it...? My Monado?'

The miner nearly dropped it in surprise. Did this 'Monado' just talk to him? In his mind?

'Yes, I did speak to you, mortal ponio. Bring me to the Princess called Twilight.'

'Why?' the miner thought suspiciously. 'When a fancy talking thing like you might be full of dark magic?'

'You dare to address my power as dark magic?' the Monado spoke. 'I shall unleash the full might of the Monado on you, mortal, that all you are ceases to be.'

''Ceases to be?''

The larger end of the Monado split in two, and an enormous beam of light extended from the circle at the base. He was nearly blinded by the radiance, and he found himself unable to release his grasp. He was pulled forward by the glowing blade, which cleaved through a thick pillar of pure crystal like a knife through butter, a stream of blue particles in it's wake.

His vision filled with blue, and he could remember no more.


After dusk...

A Night Guard had been assigned to patrol the border of Canterlot, as per usual. Nothing strange tended to happen out here, aside from the odd Everfree Beast wandering by. Nothing at all. It was rather boring, really. The only things on this edge of the border wall were the guard barracks and the mine, and there had never been any trouble at either place. Well, until a blinding blue glare shone from the mine's entrance, along with a resounding crash from within.

After a moment's delight at the distraction, the night pony rushed down to find an earth pony garbed in miner's clothes, coated in sweat and gem dust, collapsed. By the pony's side lay what the guard assumed was the source of the light. A blade of energy re-collapsed into a closing red casing. The once-glowing circle in the center lost it's gleam and symbol.

The earth pony coughed loudly. "Cursed thing... please... destroy it. Before it destroys us all..."

The Night Guard ran to him, but before she could even touch him, the pony stopped moving with another bright flash. No longer breathing. The Night Guard called for aid from her fellow guards, then remembering the miner's last words.

'What even is this thing?' She wondered.

She picked it up. In a blue glare and a faint, echoing laugh, she remembered no more.

...

She stood panting, the glowing blade firmly grasped in her front hooves. Around her, the collected bodies of her comrades laying around her. The Guard pony panicked a moment, then saw a stir of movement. They still breathed, though they were heavily bruised. She sighed, and heard the same voice as the laughter from earlier.

'So it seems that the Monado still cannot harm those of flesh and blood. You have serviced me well, mortal. But your usefulness has passed.'

The Night Guard fell, the Monado deactivating as it was dropped from her hooves.


Nearing dawn...

Medics and guards swarmed the area around the mine, most not even acknowledging the presence of the Night Princess as she approached the epicenter of the damage. A single Night Guard had been killed that night, along with several miners who had been caught in the mine's cave-in. The only thing that was out of place was an odd red blade with a glass disc at the cross piece.

The guards said they had been attacked by the now-deceased pony who had wielded it. She had acted normally until picking it up, at which point the blade of light had been unleashed. The guard became a demon, striking down any who neared her. When nopony else had the courage to approach her, the light vanished, and the guard simply... died. After which, the remaining guards retreated for aid, eventually calling upon herself.

Of course, she did not touch it. After affirming the safety of the guards in the area, the Night Princess grasped the blade in a telekinetic field, and warped both her's and the blade's position to her study. The alicorn set it down on the large desk that dominated the room. This curiosity would be the focus of her studies for days to come, certainly. She set about readying the materials for a major investigation of this 'Possessed Sword's' properties.

The blade hummed audibly, almost akin to a very quiet sigh. The Princess took note of this, and began sketching the blade for future reference.


Zanza opened his ancient eyes. Secluded as he was in the forest, there was no one around to witness his many-hour meditation.

This was an unforeseen complication. He had hoped that the Monado could be returned directly to him. Perhaps it would have been a wiser decision to manipulate the guard into bringing it to him. Then again, it would be suspicious for one to leave the scene of the mine collapse, and they would surely be missed. Zanza felt a deep sense emptiness. He desperately needed to know the Passage of Fate. It would be so much more simple if he had known the consequences beforehand.

Although absorbing their life forces had furthered his path to former glory considerably.

'It is of no matter. Princess Twilight said she would contact her equals about my Monado. I can explain it's power in a blameless fashion, and how only one such as myself can control it. Their deaths can be blamed as an accident. I can reclaim my Weapon of Creation. And all will fall into place.

'Everything will be perfect. Meyneth's Monado will be mine. My Bionis will be reborn. Fate will be restored.

'And I will never have to deal with a mortal again.'

Author's Note:

I've been trying for twenty minutes to make a link function and I cannot for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong. Sorry, you'll have to look up the Monado I yourself. If you haven't played the game, MAKE SURE it is the Monado I, not II, III, or Replica Monado.