• Published 23rd Feb 2016
  • 6,079 Views, 2,472 Comments

Crystal's Hopes - Crystal Wishes



Crystal Wishes finally found her happily ever after, but she never thought about what came next. The life of a military wife is not as easy as she hoped it would be.

  • ...
26
 2,472
 6,079

PreviousChapters Next
Set the World in Motion

Screams tore through the air—first one, then a chorus of them, all reaching higher and higher pitches. The wind sent a chill up and down Crystal’s spine and coaxed a rattling whisper from the trees’ dry leaves. All around her, shadows oozed with the potential for danger hidden within the dark alleys of Ponyville.

She nearly jumped as three small figures emerged from the gloom: a timberwolf, a ghost, and a lion that all ran past. Right on their tails was a dragon, large and lumbering and made of patchwork cloth. That explained the screaming, at least.

“Nim-night!” Claire de Lune exclaimed, dressed as a smiling pumpkin. “Swee-bite!”

At her side, Red the Little Prince said nothing, just held up his bag with big, sad purple eyes that spoke for him.

“Aren’t you just the sweetest things,” the pony at the door said, glancing up at Horsey and Velvet. “What can they have? I’ve got some mini pumpkin pancakes that I just cooked up.”

“Pumkin?” Claire’s eyes went wide and she bounced in place, which set her balance just askew enough that the girth of her costume sent her tumbling forward.

Horsey giggled, her horn lighting to help Claire get back upright. “That sounds perfect, thank you so much.”

While the stallion put two little individually wrapped pancakes in both foals’ bags, Velvet leaned over to Horsey and whispered, “But does she realize that will mean she’s a pumpkin eating pumpkin?”

“No, and I’ll thank you to not put that wicked thought in her mind.” To hide her grin, Horsey kissed the top of Amoureuse’s head, the colt fast asleep in the crook of her foreleg.

They all followed after Claire as she bounded off to the next house—periodically having to be picked up when her legs tried to move faster than her body—while Red trotted right by Velvet’s side. Crystal glanced between Horsey and Velvet until, after the third house, she couldn’t take it anymore.

“I’m sorry, but are we just not going to talk about the thing?

Velvet’s ears pinned back and she shot Crystal a glare. “What thing?

“Oh, come on, really?” Horsey rolled her eyes. “You’re wearing a toga. A big, draping, belly-hiding toga. As if I can’t tell that you’re hiding the most amazing news I could have heard all month.”

With a low, drawn-out groan, Velvet finally lowered her head in submission. “When did you get so clever?”

Horsey gave her a feigned look of hurt. “Do you mean I wasn’t clever before?”

“No, I just mean—agh!” Velvet kicked a rock off into a hedge. “It’s complicated, okay? You’re going to ask questions, and you’re not going to like the answers, and I don’t want to be judged by one of my best friends!”

Horsey’s expression softened, and she turned her head to watch Claire and Red knock on a door. “You know I’d never judge you.”

“That’s what I keep telling her,” Crystal said, frowning. “She never listens to me.”

Velvet rolled her eyes. “Fine! Fine. Okay, I’m pregnant, I’m going to be a single mom, and that’s how I want it to be. What else do you want to know?”

“What about your career?” Horsey asked, glancing over at her. “I thought you were doing really well at your new company.”

“I was.” Velvet sighed and dropped her head to stare at the ground while they followed Claire and Red to the next house. “I don’t know what I’m going to do yet. A lot of retired ballerinas go start their own studio to teach ballet, but my name doesn’t mean anything enough for that.”

Crystal chewed on her bottom lip. “I hate to be the negative one, but I’m worried. Foals are expensive.”

“And time-consuming,” Horsey put in. “Are you sure the stallion who—”

“He’s out of the picture,” Velvet snapped and started to walk a little faster. “I made a mistake, okay? I shouldn’t have done what I did, because he wants a loving wife, and I can’t be that. I watch my parents and I don’t want what they have, even if it makes them happy. I watch Crystal and I don’t want to—”

Horsey stopped her with a magical yank of her tail, then stood beside her and bumped their noses together. “I’m not asking you to justify anything, Velvet. I love you the way you are. It was just a question, that’s all.”

Velvet breathed in and out a few times, her eyes watery. “Yeah. I, um.” She cleared her throat. “Mom and Dad offered to let me move into the space above the bakery so I don’t have to worry about rent, but—I like my place. I like having my own space.”

“Let me cover the rent,” Crystal said as she moved to stand at Velvet’s other side. “Until you find a job, please let me do at least that.”

There was a long pause as several emotions played across Velvet’s face—uncertainty and guilt the chief two that Crystal could discern—before she landed on a forced smile. “I’m not really in a position to say no, so, yeah.” Her expression grew stern. “But as soon as I find a job, no more charity. Okay?”

Crystal’s ears flattened to the sides. “Don’t call it charity, because I know you, and I know you mean ‘pity’ when you say ‘charity’.” She stuck her nose in the air and trotted forward when Claire went squealing around a fence. “They are very different things, I’ll have you know.”

“That,” a voice of silk and refinement said, “is a distinction not many ponies always seem to grasp, Mrs. Wishes.”

The three of them looked over to see a mare to put all other mares to shame: a true beauty who made even Golden seem ordinary by comparison. Crystal had seen her visage in the Alcove of Harmony and in the papers.

Horsey stepped forward to greet her with a smile and a kiss on the cheek. “Hello, Miss Rarity! Happy Nightmare Night!”

“Same to you, sweet Horsey.” Rarity returned the gesture with an audible muah. “And where is that little filly of yours?”

A high-pitched shriek filled the air as the pumpkin-clad Claire went running past, Red walking behind her at a casual pace. She tripped over her own hooves and fell over; Red watched with curious amusement as her little legs waggled in the air uselessly.

Horsey’s magic lit up and she righted Claire with a sigh. “I preferred it when she hadn’t figured out how her legs worked.”

“Oh, weren’t those the days?” Rarity laughed behind a hoof. She turned her head, bright blue eyes locking onto Crystal. “I hope it won’t be too much of an imposition, but it’s been on my overburdened to-do list to invite the founder of the Flower Foundation to tea for quite some time now.”

Crystal blinked, then looked between Velvet and Horsey. “Oh, I—”

“Go on,” Velvet said, bumping her shoulder against Crystal’s. “Horsey and I will talk about foals and how you’re too popular for us peasant-folk.”

Crystal rolled her eyes before turning a smile on Rarity. “It would be my pleasure to accept your offer for tea, especially if it lets me escape Velvet’s witty commentary for a while.”

“Emphasis on witty!” Velvet chimed as Crystal started to walk alongside Rarity.

“Have fun,” Horsey called. “Don’t stay out too late, and be sure to give an offering to Nightmare Moon before the night is through!”

When they had turned a corner and were out of earshot, Rarity looked at her with a sincere smile that crinkled her nose as she laughed softly. “Your friends are an absolute delight. Horsey in particular. I would go so far to say that she and her little ones are the town favorites.”

With a small huff of laughter, Crystal lifted her gaze briefly to the dark sky above. “She’s come a long way from being my bully in elementary school.”

“What? Bully?” Rarity’s eyes went wide. “Surely you jest!”

Crystal paused to wait for Rarity to open the door to Carousel Couture. She explained as they walked inside, “I’m wholly serious. Horsey was notoriously mean, but it wasn’t her fault.”

She paused to look around the quiet interior of the shop, a smile playing at her lips. It felt like another lifetime when she had come here for her big job interview and walked away with the pink scarf that would become her signature look.

“Please do forgive the cobwebs,” Rarity said, nodding her head to lead the way through a door and into a kitchen. “I swear they are only décor for the evening, and not an actual representation of the cleanliness of my work and home. Or, as the case would be, the lack thereof.”

Sitting at the small breakfast table, Crystal waved a hoof. “Oh, I understand. Think nothing of it.”

For being one of the most beautiful mares Crystal had ever met, Rarity moved about the ordinary kitchen in such a simple, equally ordinary way. It was like she was having a casual chat with an old friend, not a stunning mare who was also an Element Bearer.

“Now,” Rarity said, her magic working to fill the kettle and set out two cups, “tell me how Horsey went from a dreadful bully to a sweet mother of two.”

Crystal laughed. “It’s simple, really. She was insecure, and so she fell in with another bully who led her down a cruel path.” She hooked her hooves together and rested her muzzle on them, shifting her gaze to look out the window. “Velvet, my other dear friend, was the catalyst for Horsey’s transformation. I likely never would have given her a chance, myself.”

Rarity turned her head to offer a dazzling smile. “Oh, I know just what you mean. There always seems to be a bully and her henchmare in each generation! My little sister has had a dreadful time with a mean filly of her own.”

“I suppose that’s true.” Crystal’s brow furrowed. “From what I’ve been told, my niece-in-law would have been a bully herself if she hadn’t been taken away from Manehattan.” She snorted lightly. “Instead, she’s the school heartbreaker.”

With a wistful sigh, Rarity drew her hoof across her forehead and fluttered her lashes. “I remember the days of my youth as a bit of a heartbreaker myself! I could hardly keep track of who sent me which roses, or which colt was supposed to be my date that weekend.”

Crystal glanced at her out of the corner of her eye, doing her best to not look too scandalously. If there were ever a mare to consider, Rarity would be at the top of the list.

“I’m afraid, however,” Rarity continued, “I have slightly ulterior motives in asking you to tea.”

“What?” Crystal nearly choked on an intake of breath. Her face grew hot, and she tried desperately to smother the prior thoughts. “I—Oh, I’m so sorry, but I—”

Rarity cleared her throat. “Nothing uncouth, of course. I simply wanted to see if, perhaps, you had advice from which I could benefit.”

After a pause to regain her composure, Crystal smoothed a hoof over her mane. “Advice? What of?”

It seemed, for a while, Rarity wasn’t going to speak. Crystal opted to say nothing, either, in case the silence was out of nervousness or apprehension. She simply waited until Rarity walked over and sat across from her.

“It’s so wonderful, what you do for ponies.” Rarity smiled, her bright blue eyes seeming to dull as she looked out the window and into Ponyville. “I admit, I find myself a little envious.”

Crystal blinked. “Envious?”

One of Rarity’s hooves moved in a broad, dramatic gesture. “You found a way to truly help others. Oh, yes, I help out with charity auctions, and I lend my aid when the opportunity arises, but you! You did not simply… sit around and wait for a way to help. You went out there, you made a way, and truly achieved something wonderful. It’s admirable, really, it is.”

“Coming from the Bearer of the Element of Generosity herself,” Crystal said softly, her cheeks flushed, “that is more of a compliment than I deserve.” She glanced around conspiratorially and leaned in to whisper, “In truth, I concocted the idea for the Flower Foundation while extremely inebriated.”

Rarity laughed, loud enough that she clamped a hoof over her mouth and cleared her throat. “Well, I suppose drastic times call for drastic measures, do they not?”

The kettle on the stove whistled, and silence fell on them again while Rarity set about pouring the water and bringing two teacups over, as well as a small tray of sugar and cream. They made up their respective drinks without a word, Rarity avoiding eye contact and Crystal uncertain if she should broach the subject.

Taking a breath in and releasing it slowly, Crystal lifted her head. “What advice did you want from me?”

“Oh, I suppose I can’t dance around it for much longer, can I?” Rarity sighed and offered a smile that didn’t reach her eyes. “You see, my friends—the other Bearers, that is—we are all struggling in our own ways.”

“Struggling?” Crystal wrapped her hooves around the cup to let its warmth radiate through her. “What do you mean?”

“Some ponies get upset with us,” Rarity mumbled into her tea, eyes downcast. “They feel that we, as the Bearers of the Elements, should be able to put an end to this dreadful war. It broke Dash’s heart when some of her fans called her a coward, a traitor to her Element.”

Crystal shifted uncomfortably and glanced up at her. “Forgive my ignorance, but what is the reason you and the others can’t? I assume it must be can’t and not won’t, of course.”

Rarity met her gaze with a tired smile. “Because we’re the most ordinary of ponies. We’re not—warriors or soldiers. What could I do against a sword or a spear?” She shook her head. “We’ve never faced such brutality, such violence. Nightmare Moon simply wanted to dominate; Chrysalis, enslave; Discord—oh, who even knows exactly what he wanted, but it wasn’t our demise.”

Crystal nodded. “I—"

“And, shall I point out,” Rarity continued, anger edging into her voice, “if anypony thinks that Twilight Sparkle, of all ponies, hasn’t done every bit of research, read every book, sought every avenue in regards to war, diplomacy, and the capabilities of our Elements?” Her jaw tightened. “How is one supposed to simply magic away an entire army? A sentiment? A darkness so vast and widespread that it causes a war?”

Biting her lip, Crystal opened her mouth to speak again, but Rarity hardly paused to breathe.

“She has read every book in every library about war throughout history, across all continents. Do you understand what that does to a pony like her, a pony who believes in the goodness of friendship and harmony? And then to have others chastise her for not doing enough? If they would just--”

“Rarity.” Crystal reached out and grabbed one of the trembling white hooves across from her.

Blue eyes went wide before they softened. “Oh, dear, I’m so sorry.” She raised her free hoof to wipe a tear from her cheek. “It has been a very, very long year.”

Crystal offered a smile and squeezed the hoof she held. “I know it has. All of us are scared and angry. We were never meant to deal with things like this.”

She took in a breath and looked out the window into Ponyville, watching as parents followed their foals on a Nightmare Night like any other. They collected candy, bobbed for apples, and danced to the music.

“I look out there and I see no signs of war,” Crystal continued in a strained voice, “but it’s always with me in my heart. I’ve been angry at others for not hurting as much as me. I’ve been yelled at for not acting as hurt as I am.”

With a sigh, Crystal withdrew her hoof and looked back at Rarity. “I’m sorry ponies have treated you and your friends that way. I don’t know if I have advice that will make everything better, though.”

Rarity’s ears drooped. “Ah, well, yes, I’m sorr—”

But,” Crystal interrupted, smiling, “I can tell you that I’m not as admirable as you think. Were it solely dependent on me, the Flower Foundation would be nothing more than a drunken memory. It’s because of my friends and family that it became a reality.”

“Friends and family,” Rarity repeated in a thoughtful murmur.

Crystal nodded. “There are many phrases we repeat to ourselves at the Foundation to give us what we need to get through each day. One in particular is that we are stronger together.” Her smile brightened as Rarity’s own began to form. “From the stories I have been told of the Bearers, it’s that you six are exemplary friends. I can imagine none better.”

The soft huff of laughter in response came with the tension in Rarity’s face visibility dissipating. “Yes, and I do believe we have been neglecting one another for too long. It is time to get back on the haycart, as Applejack would say.” She laughed again, freely this time. “Now I’m somewhat embarrassed by how obvious this should have been.”

“Sometimes, I find all we need is a gentle push from somepony outside of our situation.” Crystal levitated the cup and took a slow sip. “And, for me, it’s far easier to look objectively at somepony else’s than my own.”

Rarity pawed lightly at the air with one hoof. “When you put it like that, it doesn’t feel so embarrassing.” Her lips curled in a playful smile. “I’m sure you must hear this quite too often, but it’s not surprising that a writer such as yourself would have a way with words.”

A distant memory set off an ache in her chest, but Crystal just smiled through it. “I certainly don’t mind hearing a compliment more than once.”

“Who doesn’t?” Rarity waved away the rhetorical question and continued, “Nonetheless, I am grateful for the simple act of listening to me. I hadn’t realized how much of that was weighing on my mind.”

Crystal smiled around another sip. “It doesn’t bother me at all. If you can provide more tea, then I’m more than happy to stay and listen a while longer.”

There was a pause before Rarity’s ears gave the slightest mischievous wiggle. “Do forgive me for this, but it’s far too easy.” She cleared her throat, commanding attention in the brief silence that followed.

“That sounds tea-lightful,” she said in a giggly voice that was clearly a mimicry, but of whom, Crystal didn’t know.

A flash of lightning outside illuminated each worried line of her face that would take much longer than one conversation to heal. One conversation was, however, a start.

Author's Note:

Got myself a notion
One I know that you'll understand
Set the world in motion
By reaching out for each other's hand
Maybe we'll discover what we should've known all along

PreviousChapters Next